S.T. Taranaki A445
Official Number: 129376
Yard Number: 366
Gross Tonnage: 247
Net Tonnage: 91
Length: 120.6 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Engine: 79nhp T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Built: J Duthie Torrey Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen
20.1.1912: Launched by John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd. No.366) for John G. Smith, Fleetwood (managing owner) as TARANAKI.
21.2.1912: Registered at Aberdeen (A445).
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-6pdr) (Ad.No.347).
1915: Fitted out and also employed as a ‘Q’ ship.
23.6.1915: Operating off the Aberdeenshire coast as a decoy trawler (Lt Cdr Edwards RNR) towing/and in company with HM S/M C.24 (Lt Taylor RN). C-24 stalked and subsequently sank U.boat (U40) in position 57°00N/01°50W; twenty nine dead, unknown number of survivors. Later reverted to minesweeping. Based Granton.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Aberdeen.
1919: Sold to The Stepney Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Scarborough (Abraham Moore, manager).
23.2.1920: Aberdeen registry closed.
2.1920: Registered at Scarborough (SH225).
5.1920: On a North Sea trip (Sk. Charles Wray); ten crew.
9.5.1920: At about 12.30am. hauling some 35 miles NE of Scarborough when a mine was seen snagged on the fore trawl board, veered the winch but mine exploded causing extensive damage to the fore end. Deckhand T. Mollon was killed. As vessel foundered nine survivors took to boat and picked up an hour later by steam trawler Strathspey (A92) which was fishing in the area.
(Survivors – Sk. Charles Wray; Samuel Smelley, Mate; Charles Mansfield, 3rd Hand; George Skelton, Ch.Eng; Thomas Raine, 2nd Eng; Arthur Wray, deckhand; A. Fowler, spare hand; W. Lindsay, fireman and W. Hollingsworth, cook)