S.T. Thomas Deas M253
Admiralty Number: 3506
Official Number: 143858
Yard Number: 667
Gross Tonnage: 275
Net Tonnage: 107
Length: 125.5 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Engine: 61HP T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
17.10.1916: Laid down by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.667) and purchased by The Admiralty (non-standard “Castle” class).
8.2.1917: Launched as JAMES JOHNSON (Ad.No.3506).
13.4.1917: Completed (Commissioned) (1 – 12pdr, hydrophone and W/T).
8.4.1918: At midnight 2 miles SbyW from Daunt Lightship in collision with armed trawler LORD HARDINGE (Ad.No.2993) (GY1013) which foundered. All crew picked up.
12.1919: Registered by The Admiralty in the Registry of British Ships at London as THOMAS DEAS.
3.2.1920: Registered by The Admiralty as a fishing vessel at London (LO294).
10.10.1922: Sold to Henry James Shooter, Exeter ; Sk. Henry William Salter, Milford Haven & Sk. Thomas Salter, Hakin (David Pettit, manager).
9.10.1922: London registry closed.
10.10.1922: Registered at Milford (M253).
22.10.1923: shares re-allocated to James Henry Shooter, Exeter & Sk. Thomas Salter, Hakin (James Henry Shooter managing owner).
23.12.1926: Sold to Mrs Elizabeth A. H. Pettit, Milford Haven (David Pettit, manager).
27.1.1931: Outward from Milford for the fishing grounds on the afternoon tide in darkness misty light rain stranded in Gellyswick Bay. Refloated under own power with no damage.
28.7.1933: Arrived Limerick, Co with broken steam pipe having been aground in river.
11.11.1936: Sailed Milford for West of Ireland grounds at 4.15 p.m. (Sk. Robert W. C. Kettle). Anchored off to await crew member. Picked up and proceeded down Haven,
At 7.15 p.m. in collision with steam tanker SAN DARIO (1136grt/1936) alleged to be at anchor unlit. Stood by and checked damage before returning to Milford.
23.3.1937: Sailed Milford for West coast of Ireland grounds (Sk. Robert W. C. Kettle).
31.3.1937: Spoke THOMAS LEEDS (M70) stopped with condenser door blown off. THOMAS LEEDS effected repair but requested tow to Milford.
3.4.1937: Delivered THOMAS LEEDS to Milford.
24.9.1939: Last landing at Milford.
30.9.1939: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Cleveleys, manager) for £5750.
3.1940?: Homeward in a full gale ran ashore near Port Askaig, Islay. Refloated with the assistance of the Port Askaig (Islay) lifeboat (14 crew £2000 of fish).
16.2.1941: Lost after explosion approximately 4 miles off Spurn Point, believed to have been mined; crew of thirteen lost.
20.3.1941: Milford registry closed “Vessel sunk by enemy action”.
(Lost – Sk. W. Scott, G. R. Bush, G. R. Hodson, T. G. Hudson, T. Madden, R. Neill, W. G. Phillips, C. H. Powdrill, H. Powdrill, T. P. Power, J. H. Raywell, W. Semper, R. Wilson)
(John (aka James) Johnson, OS (volunteer), age 24, b. Newport, Rhode Island, America – VICTORY (SB110)
Click to enlarge image