Further historical information needed about this vessel. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham
Official Number: 139977
Gross Tonnage: 87.38
Net Tonnage: 40.26
Length: 85.6 ft
Breadth: 19.6 ft
Depth: 9.4 ft
Built: John Chambers Ltd, Lowestoft
Engine: 175ihp C.2-cyl by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Southtown, Gt. Yarmouth
Boiler by Riley Brothers (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees
1917: Completed by John Chambers Ltd, Lowestoft (Yd. No.483?) for Frederick Spashett (32/64) and William Catchpole (32/64), Kessingland, Lowestoft as FORMIDABLE.
28.9.1917: Registered at Lowestoft (LT100). William Catchpole designated managing owner.
2.1915: Requisitioned for war service (Ad.No.3074). Assigned as a Harbour Defence drifter (1-6pdr HA). Based Kingstown, Co. Dublin.
20.2.1918: Sold to Wilkins Edward Catchpole (32/64) and Edward Catchpole (32/64), Kessingland, Lowestoft. Edward Catchpole designated managing owner.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Lowestoft.
1928: Seasonal fishing out of Fleetwood.
2.7.1928: Typical landing 35 boxes.
8.11.1933: Damaged in collision with steam drifter CARPE DIEM (LT1207).
5.12.1933: Damaged in collision with steam drifter RENOVATE (LT307).
16.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter. Renamed FIDGET (P.No.FY551) (Hire rate £26.0.0d/month).
26.5.1940: At 1857 ‘Operation Dynamo’ (Dunkirk evacuation) put into effect.
29.5.1940: Arrived Ramsgate with 114 troops.
30.5.1940: At 0810 arrived Ramsgate with 150 troops.
31.5.1940: At 1350 arrived Ramsgate with 304 troops.
4.6.1940: ‘Operation Dynamo’ terminated.
9.1941: Employed on miscellaneous naval duties.
5.1942: Employed on miscellaneous duties with RAF.
5.1944: Employed on miscellaneous naval duties.
1.1946: Returned to owner at Lowestoft. Reverted to FORMIDABLE (LT100).
14.4.1946: Sold to Albert George Catchpole (32/64) and Edward Catchpole (32/64), Kessingland, Lowestoft.
1946: Sold to Norway.
27.9.1946: Lowestoft registry closed. Registered at ? as TRIX (R-103-SH).
1.10.1946: Sailed Lowestoft for Norway. Later converted to a motor cargo vessel. Fate?
04/06/2019: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of David Slinger and Andy Hall
Admiralty Number: 3826
Official Number: 140620
Yard Number: 162
As built: 310.7disp 115.0 x 22.0 x 13.0 feet
Gross Tonnage: 203.50
Net Tonnage: 87.83
Length: 115.4 ft
Breadth: 22.2 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Built: Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith
Engine: T.3-cyl (430ihp) by Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith
Note: Landing at Fleetwood as catch and market dictated.
9.1918: Launched by Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith (Yd.No.162) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as ISAAC HARRIS (Ad.No.3826).
4.4.1919: Advertised for sale by tender.
10.4.1919: Tenders closed. Sold to Harley & Miller Ltd, Liverpool.
12.4.1919: Delivered as a fishing vessel (ex fishing gear).
6.5.1919: Registered at Liverpool (Part I & IV) as POCHARD II O.N.140620 (LL21). Alfred J. Harley designated manager.
1927: Charles C. Miller designated manager.
10.10.1927: Arrived Mersey with steam trawler GOOSANDER (LL118) in tow, picked up on fishing grounds disabled with fouled propeller.
11.7.1928: At Fleetwood landed 134 boxes, mainly hake (chat 60s – selected 84s per box).
1934: Richard H. Jones designated manager.
1935: Sold to Wilson Buchan, Aberdeen.
5.4.1935: Registered at Aberdeen (A262).
18.4.1935: Liverpool registry closed.
13.6.1935: Registered at Aberdeen as BELLA BUCHAN (A262) (Minute RG.1195/35). Wilson Buchan designated managing owner.
04.03.1939: At Wick Sheriff court Sk. John Alexander Sutherland, Torry, Aberdeen charged with illegal trawling at a point 1.6 miles from Sarclet Head, Caithness, on March 10th, and failing to show proper lights. Sutherland also admitted a previous conviction. Fined £15 or 60 days in respect of the first charge, and £5 or 30 days on the second charge. One month was allowed to pay.
28.05.1947: Steamed 80-mile from fishing grounds off Cape Wrath to Scrabster, Caithness to land seriously ill 16-year-old apprentice deckhand Joseph Pirie, Victoria Road, Aberdeen. Landed and taken to Dunbar’s Hospital, Thurso.
14.9.1939: Sold to David Buchan, Aberdeen. David Buchan designated managing owner.
4.1951: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd, Charlestown, Fife for breaking up (Contract No.20D).
19.4.1951: Delivered Charlestown from Aberdeen under own power.
13.6.1951: Breaking up commenced.
1.5.1952: Aberdeen registry closed. “Vessel broken up. Advice from owner and shipbreaker. ”
03/05/2019: Page published.
05/05/2019: Updated information.
Additional information courtesy of David Slinger and Maurice Voss
Official Number: 132109
Yard Number: 488
Gross Tonnage: 264
Net Tonnage: 106
Length: 130.1 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.0 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
30.5.1911: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.488) for The Anchor Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as PRINCEPS.
28.7.1911: Registered at Grimsby (Part I & IV) O.N.132109 (GY636).
17.8.1911. Completed. George S. Letten designated manager.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.1504).
1918: Based Malta.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
29.6.1923: Sold to Société Anonyme “Pêcheries Ostendaises” (Richard & Henri Aspeslagh and Alphonse De Ceuninck) (company formerly Henri P. Aspeslagh), Ostend, Belgium.
28.6.1923: Grimsby registry closed.
29.6.1923: Arrived Ostend.
7.1923: Remeasured 263,42Bg 87,29n 39,65 (130.1) x 6,6 (22.5) x 3,66 (12.0) metre (feet).
3.7.1923: Registered at Ostend as NASON (O127).
22.10.1928: Transferred to fish out of Fleetwood, initially for the herring fishery. After taking onboard new nets and gear, sailed for Klondyke grounds off West Coast of Scotland; Sk. J. Tomlinson embarked as pilot to show location of herring fishing area.
3.11.1928: First landing at Fleetwood. Coaled and iced and sailed for Iceland grounds.
10.12.1928: At Ostend landed 5,300kg 25,000 franks gross (4,75 franc per kg).
27.9.1929: Sold to Zunequin & Cie, Boulogne.
10.1929: Ostend registry closed.
16.10.1929: Registered at Boulogne as JEAN DORÉ (B1384).
1931: Sold to Société Boulonnaise d’Armement à la Pêche, Boulogne.
1934: Laid up at Boulogne.
1935: Sold to Hanse-Lozinguez, Boulogne and broken up. Boulogne registry closed.
Click to enlarge image
S.T. Nason O127
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection
20/03/2019: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of David Slinger
Admiralty Number: 4216
Official Number: 136087
Yard Number: 203
As built: 360disp 125.6 x 23.5 x 12.8 feet
Gross Tonnage: 275g
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 125.3 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Built: C. Rennoldson & Co, South Shields
Engine: 480ihpT.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank, Middlesbrough
1919: Laid down by C. Rennoldson & Co, South Shields (Yd.No.203) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as THOMAS GREEN (Ad.No.4216).
12.1919: Sold to The Ebor Fishing Co Ltd, Middlesbrough.
21.1.1920: Completed as a fishing vessel.
22.1.1920: Registered at Middlesbrough (Part I & IV) as EBOR ELECT O.N.136087 (MH112). Charles W. Robinson designated manager.
1920: Sold to Harley & Miller Ltd, Liverpool. Alfred J. Harley, Meols designated manager.
1923: Charles C. Miller designated manager.
1926: Middlesbrough registry closed.
3.8.1926: Registered at Liverpool (LL58).
1928: Fishing out of Fleetwood.
24.11.1928: Last landing at Fleetwood.
1928: Sold to Consolidated Fisheries Ltd, Grimsby.
17.12.1928: Liverpool registry closed.
16.1.1929: Registered at Swansea as CAERPHILLY CASTLE (SA92). Sir John D. Marsden, Bart, Grimsby designated manager. Fishing out of Swansea.
26.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.NI) (Hire rate £85.18.9d/month).
5.2.1940: Returned to owner at Swansea.
27.1.1941: On the West of Ireland grounds, attacked and severely damaged by German FW200 aircraft, foundered with loss of three crew* in position 52.35N
29.4.1941: Swansea registry closed “Vessel sunk by enemy action 27/1/41.”
(Thomas Green, AB (volunteer), age 30, b.Cork, Ireland – VICTORY (SB652))
Lost* – All Swansea. John Pattison (50), Ch Eng; John Anderson Dempster (38) 2nd Eng; James Cecil Cole (31) deckhand.
08/03/2019: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson, Barry Banham and David Slinger
Official Number: 119360
Yard Number: ??
Gross Tonnage: 67.26
Net Tonnage: 40.57
Length: 80.0 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 8.4 ft
Engine: 125ihp T.3-cyl by Crabtree & Co, Gt Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Bros (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees
4.1904: Launched by Henry Reynolds, South Side Shipyard, Lowestoft for Robert Catchpole (64/64), Kessingland as RECORD.
25.5.1904: Registered at Lowestoft (LT360). Robert Catchpole designated managing owner.
22.12.1913: Sold to Jermyn T. Greengrass (64/64), Lowestoft. Jermyn T. Greengrass designated managing owner.
27.5.1918: Sold to John Victor Breech (64/64), Lowestoft. John Victor Breech designated managing owner.
30.12.1918: Sold to William Samuel Capps (21/63), George Gurney Hall (21/64) and John Victor Breach (22/64), Lowestoft. John Victor Breech designated managing owner.
6.4.1920: Sold to Goldthorpe, Scott & Wright Ltd, Grimsby.
26.4.1920: Lowestoft registry closed “No longer fishing”.
4.1920: Registered at Grimsby. Samuel L. Goldthorpe, New Cleethorpes designated manager. Employed running between Grimsby and Hull, parcels and general.
16.11.1922: Sold to Frederick Arthur Boards, Jesse Edwin Worth, Hull and Ernest William Little, Bridlington (64/64 joint owners). Ernest William Little, Bridlington designated managing owner. Grimsby registry closed.
16.11.1922: Registered at Hull.
4.12.1922: Sold to Record (Hull) Steam Fishing Co Ltd. Hull (64/64). Grimsby registry closed.
29.12.1922: Ernest William Little, Bridlington designated manager.
19.1.1923: Re-measured 71.18g 33.74n as per Board of Trade Survey at Hull dated 15.1.1923.
28.1.1923: Registered at Hull (H777).
15.2.1923: Re-measured 27.86n as per Board of Trade Survey at Hull dated 13.2.1923.
24.9.1924: Sold to Frank Andrew Peterson (64/64), Grimsby. 6.10.1924: Peter M. Peterson, Hessle designated manager.
12.2.1925: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (A).
1928: Seasonal fishing out of Fleetwood.
25.5.1928: Typical landing 18 boxes.
6.6.1928: Typical landing 15 boxes.
20.7.1929: Mortgage (A) discharged.
20.7.1929: Sold to Basil Arthur Parkes (64/64), Blackpool.
30.7.1929: Basil Arthur Parkes designated managing owner.
10.1930: Sold to French principals.
8.10.1930: Hull registry closed “ Sold foreign – French principals ”.
05/03/2019: Page published.
08/03/2019: Updated information.