s.v. Talisman FD76

Additional information courtesy of Birgir Þórisson and Christine Simm

Technical

Official Number: 75162
Completed: 1866
Gross Tonnage: 76
Net Tonnage: 49
In Iceland: Measured 49g
Rig: Cutter – trawling
Built: ??, Brixham
Engine: 40ha “Hein” kerosene engine

History

1876: Completed by ??, Brixham as Talisman for Mrs Hannah Thompson Tyrer, Charles T. Adams, Elizabeth Edwards and Joseph Perrett, Brixham. Registered at Dartmouth (DH200).
1.1.1883: Owned by Frederick George Perrett, Brixham.
2.7.1885: At Paignton Petty Sessions, fisherman apprentice William Blackler was charged with assaulting and disobeying the master and owner Frederick G. Perrett while engaged in the North Sea fishery. The defendant had been disobedient, refusing to take in sail when ordered and destroyed clothing, threatening to give the skipper a “hiding”. With lack of corroborating evidence the case was dismissed with a caution.
21.10.1885: Off Berry Head dismasted. Picked up by sailing trawler PETO (DH923 later BM923) and delivered safely to Brixham.
23.2.1887: Arrived Brixham along with sailing trawler MYSTERY (?) and reported loss of all fishing gear caused by coming fast on a wreck.
By 27.4.1887: Sailed Brixham for North Sea fishing.
9.1890: Sold to Walter Moody Kelly, Fleetwood.
26.9.1890: Brixham registry closed.
1.10.1890: Registered at Fleetwood (FD76).
6.5.1898: Sold to Jón Jörgen Christen Havsteen, Akureyri, Iceland. 1893: Fleetwood registry closed. Used for hand lining with crew of 15-18 men.
1903: Registered at Akureyri as (EA23).
1917: Sold to Ásgeir Pétursson, shipowner, herring curer, and merchant, Akureyri.
24.03. 1922: Wrecked at Sauðanes, (Western fiords of Iceland) when bound to the south of Iceland for the seasonal cod fishery. Eight out of a crew of sixteen got ashore, but four of them died of exposure before reaching shelter at Flateyri in Önundarfjörður. Akureyri. Registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

s.v. Talisman FD76

s.v. Talisman FD76
Following Corsair, picture courtesy of Alan Hirst

Changelog
24/02/2009: Page published.
23/08/2014: Information updated.
26/06/2015: Picture added.
27/10/2017: Removed FMHT watermark.
16/09/2021: Updated history and technical details.