Technical

Official Number: 113614
Yard Number: 292
Completed: 1901
Gross Tonnage: 231
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 121.7 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Engine: 65nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull
Speed: 10.5 knots

History

20.7.1901: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.292) for Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as QUEEN ALEXANDRA.
24.8.1901: Registered at Hull (H530).
8.1901: Completed (George T. Armitage, manager).
1914: Transferred to, Fleetwood (George T. Armitage, Hull, manager).
16.10.1916: Sank the Douglas registered smack SUNBEAM (95317) (48n/1888) in collision SE of NW Boulders Buoy, Morecambe Bay.
3.1917: At Fleetwood. Fitted with Hotchkiss 6pdr gun (No.1234)(ex PHOEBE); compliment increased by two gunners.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released.
7.1.1920: Sold to Thomas H. Smith, Fleetwood.
15.1.1920: Hull registry closed.
16.1.1920: Registered at Fleetwood (FD364).
1923: Sold to The Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James W. Armitage, manager).
1927: Sold to Mason Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas Cardwell, manager).
14.9.1940: Requisitioned for war service and appointed for minesweeping duties.
16.9.1940: Returned to owner (Robert H. Bagshaw, manager).
1943: Working Faroe grounds.
28.4.1951: In moderate weather, stranded 2 miles S of Carraig Mhor Light, Sound of Islay; Islay lifeboat stood by. Refloated.
8.1952: Fishing off Isle of Man had net carried away by RN submarine. No damage to trawler or submarine.
5.8.1952: Last landing.
8.1952: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
11.9.1952: Delivered Barrow from Fleetwood under own power.
9.1952: Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Queen Alexandra FD364

S.T. Queen Alexandra FD364
Picture courtesy of Mike Thompson

S.T. Queen Alexandra FD364

S.T. Queen Alexandra FD364
Picture © John Clarkson

Changelog
26/01/2009: Page published. 4 revisions since then.
10/01/2015: Corrected code mistake that prevented the page from rendering correctly.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 109094
Yard Number: 220
Completed: 1898
Gross Tonnage: 213
Net Tonnage: 85
Length: 117.6 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley, 1898

History

3.11.1898: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley (Yd.No.220) for Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as SYLVIA.
21.12.1898: Completed (George T. Armitage, manager).
23.12.1898: Registered at Hull (H439).
1914: Transferred to Fleetwood (James W. Armitage, Fleetwood, manager).
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler. Based Cromarty.
1.1918: Sold to Joseph R. E. Mordaunt, Grimsby.
26.1.1918: Hull registry closed.
30.1.1918: Registered at Grimsby (GY1112).
8.1918: Returned to owner.
10.1918: Sold to Henry Rachkind, Cleethorpes (managing owner).
9.1919: Sold to The Faroe Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Henry Burns, manager).
11.1921: Sold to Forward Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby.
1936: John Bannister appointed manager.
7.4.1941: Foundered off Faroe Islands in approx position 61.27N 05.48W. after being bombed and damaged by German air attack. Ten crew rescued, one man lost.
22.7.1941: Grimsby registry closed “Sunk by enemy action 7/4/41”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Sylvia H439

S.T. Sylvia H439
Picture courtesy of the Mike Thompson Collection

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional material courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 99586
Yard Number: 95
Completed: 1892
Gross Tonnage: 151
Net Tonnage: 63
Length: 104 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Engine: 50nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull

History

22.10.1892: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.95) for Pickering & Haldane’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as STORM COCK.
14.11.1892: Registered at Hull (H207).
11.1892: Completed (Henry A. L. Russell, manager).
6.2.1902: Sold to George R. Nicholson, Wallasey (managing owner).
10.2.1902: Hull registry closed.
2.1902: Registered at Liverpool (LL303).
6.1911: Sold to The Sunrise Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Magnus B. Wedum, manager).
6.1911: Liverpool registry closed.
29.6.1911: Registered at Fleetwood (FD148).
10.1915: Sold to Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (George T. Armitage, manager).
21.10.1915: Fleetwood registry closed.
23.10.1915: Registered at Hull (H405).
1916: Main deck, engine casing and funnel renewed.
1916: New boiler fitted.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released.
4.1919: Sold to Ernest William Hall, Lowestoft (managing owner).
2.4.1919: Hull registry closed.
5.4.1919: Registered at Lowestoft (LT393).
7.9.1920: Advertised for sale at Baltic Exchange, London, ‘vessel lying at Lowestoft’.
17.9.1920: Sold to Charles Huish, Plymouth (managing owner).
18.1.1933: Following death of Charles Huish, transferred to Mrs Josephine Huish, Plymouth (Arthur R. Chapman/Sanders Stevens & Co Ltd, managers).
1937: Sold to The Netherlands for breaking up.
16.8.1937: Lowestoft registry closed “To Holland”.

Changelog
07/01/2009: Page published. 6 updates since then.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 136234
Yard Number: 314
Completed: 1915
Gross Tonnage: 274
Net Tonnage: 109
Length: 125.4 ft
Breadth: 22.7 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: 80nhp T.3-cyl by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

17.12.1914: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.314) for Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as PRINCESS MARIE-JOSÉ.
12.2.1915: Completed (George T. Armitage, manager).
22.2.1915: Registered at Hull (H242). Transferred to Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (George T. Armitage, Hull, manager).
22.5.1915: Requisitioned for war service.
24.5.1915: Arrived Falmouth. Fitted out as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.1770). Fitted as Leader.
20.7.1915: Operating between Orkney and Shetland as a decoy trawler (Lt Cantlie RN) towing/and in company with HM S/M C.27 (Lt Cdr Dobson).
To the east of Fair Isle, shelled by U-boat (U.23) which C-27 stalked and subsequently sank in position 58°55N/00°14W; twenty four dead, ten survivors.
23.11.1917: At Aberdeen fitted with hydrophones.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
2.1920: Sold to The Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (James W. Armitage, Fleetwood, manager).
19.2.1924: Hull registry closed.
19.2.1924: Registered at Fleetwood (FD12) (James W. Armitage, Scarborough, manager).
27.10.1920: President of the Prize Court awarded £170 to officers and men to share with HM S/M C.27 in respect of action in sinking U-boat (U.23).
7.1934: Sold to John C. Robertson (44/64) & David Wood (20/64), Aberdeen (John C. Robertson managing owner.
28.7.1934: Fleetwood registry closed.
30.7.1934: Registered at Aberdeen (A114).
27.8.1934: Registered at Aberdeen as FEUGHSIDE (A114).
6.10.1939: Sold to Loch Fishing Co of Hull Ltd, Hull.
7.10.1939: Sailed Hull for Faroe first trip for new owner (Sk. T. Mason).
24.10.1939: At Hull landed 307 kits grossed £453.
2.11.1939: Aberdeen registry closed.
6.11.1939: Registered at Hull (H220).
29.11.1939: Registered at Hull as LOCH HOPE (H220).
6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (P.No.4.97) (Hire rate £85.10.0d/month).
10.8.1945: Sold to A. & M. Smith, Hull.
12.1945: Returned to owner.
11.6.1947: Foundered off east coast of Iceland when a mine caught in the trawl exploded. One man died and seventeen survivors (including eight injured) picked up by URKA (FD289) and landed at Seydisfjord. Three injured too poorly to be moved, remaining five flown to hospital in Reykjavik. Hull registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Princess Marie-Jose FD12

S.T. Princess Marie-Jose FD12

S.T. Princess Marie Jose FD12

S.T. Princess Marie Jose FD12
Picture courtesy of Fred Baker

HMT  Loch Hope

HMT Loch Hope
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

Changelog
03/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
25/03/2015: Picture added.

Read / Leave a Comment

Stranding information courtesy of Laurence H Dettman

Technical

Official Number: 121084
Yard Number: 83
Completed: 1905
Gross Tonnage: 289
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 133.3 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Engine: 70nhp T.3-cyl by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Speed: 10.5 knots

History

31.8.1905: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley (Yd.No.83) for Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as PRINCESS LOUISE.
19.10.1905: Registered at Hull (H837).
10.1905: Completed (George T. Armitage, manager).
27.1.1909: In thick fog in the Humber estuary in collision with the steamer WHITBY ABBEY and both vessels damaged.
15.11.1913: Sailed Hull for White Sea grounds off the coast of Lapland (Sk. Hermann Dettman) (2nd hand George Henry Batty); twelve crew total.
23.12.1913: Left fishing grounds off Sem Islands for home picking up a Norway coast pilot at Honningsvåg.
25.12.1913: Called Gibostad to obtain medical assistance for the skipper suffering from an acute bowel disorder.
27.12.1913: Arrived Lødingen and dropped pilot setting course for Vest Fjord. When in vicinity of Lødingen Light shortly after 4.30am. the skipper was again indisposed and had to leave the wheelhouse telling the second hand the course to steer. On his return there was an exchange concerning the course and shortly afterwards the vessel struck heavily amidships and again aft and heeled to starboard and came fast. Endeavoured to free the vessel by working the engines but ingress of water into the stokehold was rapid; fires were drawn. Crew abandoned and vessel settled by the stern. Picked up by Norwegian coastal steamer and landed at Svolvaer. Skipper and Chief Engineer proceeded to Lødingen and took passage in the salvage steamer that was to attend the wreck which was lying in 10fms to the west of Root Var with some chance of salvage. Crew returned to Hull via Bergen.
6.3.1914: Hull registry closed “Vessel lost”. *
30.9.1914: Having been salved and returned to Hull, repaired and re-registered at Hull (H140).
3.11.1914: Returned to service and transferred to Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (George T. Armitage, Hull, manager).
2.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.1176).
14.5.1915: Registered at Hull as PRINCESS LOUISE II (H140). Based Milford Haven.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
1920: Sold to Thomas H. Smith, Fleetwood (managing owner).
15.1.1920: Hull registry closed.
16.1.1920: Registered at Fleetwood (FD365).
2.6.1921: Sold to James W. Armitage, Fleetwood (managing owner).
1.9.1922: Sold to The Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James W. Armitage, manager).
1926: Sold to Cie Belge de Pecheries Maritimes, Ostend.
1926: Re measured (Belgian Rules) 277g 100n 133.6 feet
5.8.1926: Fleetwood registry closed.
3.1926: Registered at Ostend as PASTOOR PYPE (O176).
1929: Sold to Dewsland Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William A. Stonebanks, manager).
11.1929: Ostend registry closed.
1929: Re measured (BoT) 289g 115n 133.6 feet.
18.11.1929: Registered at Fleetwood (FD58).
28.11.1929: Registered at Fleetwood as DANELAND (FD58).
1935: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Marr, manager).
8.2.1935: Mortgaged to William Deacons Bank Ltd, London.
Pre 8.1938: Laid up at Fleetwood.
6.4.1941: Sunk by German aircraft 30 miles N by 1/2 W of Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim; twelve crew rescued.
6.6.1941: Fleetwood registry closed “Sunk by enemy aircraft 6/4/41”.

(Note* – Following BoT Inquiry at Hull the findings were published on 24.3.1914 concluding that;
“The stranding of, and serious damage to, the steam trawler Princess Louis was caused by the wrongful act and default of the skipper and of the second hand. As the skipper on the early morning in question was suffering for very severe indisposition, as he bears an exceptionally good character and as he gave his evidence with absolute straightforwardness the Court suspends his ticket (No.6483) for three months only from the date herof. The Court suspends the certificate (No.10696) of the second hand, who in his evidence displayed both ignorance and indifference and did not adequately assist the skipper, at a time when he most needed it, for a like period.”)

BOT Stranding Report

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Daneland FD58

S.T. Daneland FD58
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

S.T. Princess Louise H837

S.T. Princess Louise H837
Picture courtesy of James Cullen

Changelog
12/04/2014: Picture added.
08/10/2014: Picture added.
21/09/2015: Stranding information added.
04/11/2015: Posted BOT stranding report.

Read / Leave a Comment