Technical

Official Number: 128905
Yard Number: 410
Completed: 1909
Gross Tonnage: 246
Net Tonnage: 95
Length: 125.3 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Shields Engineering Co Ltd, North Shields
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

4.8.1909: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.410) for The Castle Steam Trawlers Ltd, Swansea (Crawford Heron, manager) as as DALE CASTLE.
17.9.1909: Completed.
20.9.1909: Registered at Swansea (SA99).
12.10.1909: Mortgaged to Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough (A).
4.10.1910: Mortgaged (A) discharged.
8.11.1913: Mortgaged to Eerste Nederlandsche Scheepsverband, Dordrecht (B).
17.2.1915: Requisitioned for war serviceas a minesweeper (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.976). Fitted as Leader.
4.1915: Based Orkney & Shetland as a minesweeper.
12.1917: At Longhope.
22.10.1918: Mortgaged (B) discharged.
1919: Returned to owner.
1.4.1919: Sold to Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co (Grimsby) Ltd, Grimsby (John D. Marsden, manager).
27.11.1923: Mortgaged to London Joint City & Merchants Bank Ltd, London (D).
9.1927: Owners re-styled Consolidated Fisheries Ltd (Sir John D. Marsden, Bart, manager).
29.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an anti submarine trawler (2-MGs) (P.No.4.156) (Hire rate £61.10.0d/month).
15.5.1942: Mortgage (D) discharged.
10.6.1942: Sold to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (Robert H. Hewett, manager).
10.6.1942: Swansea registry closed.
12.6.1942: Registered at London (LO92).
1944: Fitted out for for target towing duties.
23.6.1945: Paid off. Laid Up.
16.3.1946: Returned to owner. Laid up.
1947: Sold for breaking up.

Click to enlarge image

Note: The headstone of William H Parsons in Stromness, Orkney, 2nd hand of DALE CASTLE who died after illness 08/12/1915

William Parson's grave

Picture courtesy of Derek Mayes, Orkney

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 136174
Yard Number: 285
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 226
Net Tonnage: 87
Length: 115.5 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Engine: 94NHP T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Speed: 11 Knots
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

29.11.1913: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.285) for Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Hull as BEMPTON.
19.1.1914: Registered at Hull (H19).
2.1914: Completed (Joseph Vivian, manager).
15.4.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.1369).
1917: At Berehaven, Co. Cork as an armed trawler.
15.4.1917: At noon sailed from Berehaven in company with HM Trawler DRAKE II (Ad.No.817) (GY1163) to assist HMS LAVENDER (P.No.T23) towing damaged Norwegian steamer HUNDVAAGO (1901grt/1915) (HUNDEVAAGO had been torpedoed at 11.00 pm on 4.4.1917 off SW Ireland, no Uboat claimed responsibility).
16.4.1917: Arrived Berehaven, Co. Cork at 6.00 am and HUNDVAAGO beached at Berehaven.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
24.4.1920: At Hull landed crew of RIBBLE (H255) which had been mined 29.3.1920 12 miles E by N of North Dogger Bank Light.
22.10.1925: Robert Burton appointed manager.
16.9.1932: Charles Hugh Emerson appointed manager.
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
6.3.1936: Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd in Creditors’ Voluntary Winding-up.
1936: Fleet sold en bloc to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward) (Robert S. Hewett, Fleetwood, manager). Refurbished.
29.12.1936: Hull registry closed.
1.1.1937: Registered at London (LO192).
18.2.1943: Sold to Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull for £11,500.
22.2.1943: London registry closed.
24.2.1943: Registered at Hull (H546) (John William Lown, manager).
10.2.1944: William George O’Dell appointed manager. Based at Hull sailing in armed convoys to and from fishing grounds.
7.3.1945: Sold to Loyal Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby for £12,000 less £700 for repairs.
12.3.1945: Hull registry closed.
3.1945: Registered at Grimsby (GY29) (Albert Wright Butt, manager).
1951: Sold to Alexander Hay, Aberdeen.
1951: Grimsby registry closed.
1951: Registered at Aberdeen (A673).
1958: Sold to F. & W. Joch, Hamburg for breaking up.
7.5.1958: Delivered Hamburg from Aberdeen under own power.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Bempton A673

S.T. Bempton A673
Picture courtesy of Grimsby Reference Library

S.T. Bempton H19

S.T. Bempton H19
Picture courtesy of John Stevenson

Changelog
15/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 132300
Yard Number: 233
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 207
Net Tonnage: 81
Length: 112.2 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

7.12.1911: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.233) for The Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as WESTRAY.
29.1.1912: Completed.
5.2.1912: Registered at Hull (H390).
5.2.1912: Joseph Vivian appointed manager.
2.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.1277). Based Holyhead.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
13.5.1920: Vessel mortgaged (all 64 shares) to The London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
6.3.1923: Mortgagee re-styled as Westminster Bank Ltd, London.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to William Augustus Hayward, Eastbourne.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd, London.
22.10.1928: Robert Burton appointed manager.
16.9.1932: Charles Hugh Emerson appointed manager.
10.1932: Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd in liquidation.
1.11.1932: Mortgage (A) transferred to Harold Frank Hayward, London; Maud Florence Katherine Rogers, Chelsea and Ernest Norton, London (joint mortgagees).
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
6.3.1936: At Extraordinary General Meeting at Hull, Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd placed in Creditors’ Voluntary Winding-up (Richard Field Helm of Messrs Hodgson Harris & Co, Hull appointed liquidators).
2.1937: Sold by joint mortgagees to German shipbreakers.
1.3.1937: Hull registry closed “… on sale to foreigners (German Subjects) for breaking up. Advice received from Joint Mortgagees.”

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official number 185862
Yard Number: 871
Completed: 1953
Gross Tonnage: 595
Net Tonnage: 217
Length: 170.1 ft
Breadth: 29.2 ft
Depth: 14.5 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: 925ihp T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Boiler: Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull (No.1841)
Fitted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F
Speed: 13 knots

History

4.12.1952: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.871) for Heward Trawlers Ltd, London & Fleetwood (Robert S. Hewett, manager) as ELLA HEWETT.
3.1953: Registered at London (LO47).
19.3.1953: Completed.
8.4.1953: First landing at Fleetwood.
2.11.1962: Sailed Fleetwood at 0145 for Icelandic fishing grounds via Heysham to bunker (Sk. William Storm Gregson); nineteen crew. At Heysham, cook, Russell Harvey fell down an open grating. At 0530 sailed Heysham for fishing grounds. At about 1530 skipper decided to land the cook in Church Bay, Rathlin Island and left the 2nd Hand (Mate) James Rixom in command. With good visibility and calm sea entered the Bay and sometime after 1830, struck wreck of HMS DRAKE and was held fast port side aft. No serious attempt was made to get the vessel off. At 2210 serious ingress of water noted, Ch.Eng, Harold Huntingford, made best possible use of pumps. At 2230 with water rising and oil in bilge, Ch. Eng. drew fires.
3.11.1962: At 0053 with pumping no longer possible a May Day message was transmitted. Portrush lifeboat, Liverpool steamer MARKLAND (6032grt/1953) and Glasgow motor vessel LAIRDS LOCH (1736grt/1944) proceeding. By 1100 starboard list had increased and fourteen crew taken off by Portrush lifeboat and landed at Ballycastle. At 2115 with remaining five crew members taken on board the lifeboat, vessel heeled on her beam ends and sank. Survivors landed at Portrush.
11.1962: Wreck attended by salvage vessel DISPENSER (775grt/1943) on charter to Liverpool & Glasgow Salvage Association. After survey, agreement reached with Underwriters that it was uneconomical to raise the wreck and declared a Total Loss.
14/15.5.1963: At BoT Inquiry (No.S.461) at Fleetwood, the Court found that the stranding and subsequent total loss were caused by the wrongful act or default of Skipper Gregson and the 2nd Hand (Mate) James Rixom. Sk. Gregson’s ticket was suspended for three years and the skippers ticket held by James Rixom was cancelled.
8.1964: Wreck sold by Underwriters to Metal Recoveries (Newhaven) Ltd, Newhaven.
28.9.1964: Metrec Salvage Ltd, Maidstone formed by Metal Recoveries (Newhaven) Ltd & Shipbreaking (Queenborough) Ltd, Queenborough.
8.1966: Metrec Salvage Ltd entered into an agreement with Commissioners of Irish Lights, owners of the wreck of HMS DRAKE, to clear the seabed of the wreck.
1974: MOD took over ownership of the wreck of HMS DRAKE putting an end to salvage attempts. HMS LAYMOOR attended and munitions removed from HMS DRAKE by divers.
18-29.9.1978: Wreck dispersed to prevent pollution from bunker oil. Remains of wreck lie in 15m in position 55°17.17N/06°12 .43W.

BOT Inquiry Report

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Ella Hewett LO47

S.T. Ella Hewett LO47

S.T. Ella Hewett  LO47

S.T. Ella Hewett LO47
Picture courtesy of Peter Hearn

S.T. Ella Hewett LO47

S.T. Ella Hewett LO47

S.T. Ella Hewett LO47

S.T. Ella Hewett LO47
Picture courtesy of the JJ Collection

S.T. Ella Hewett LO47

S.T. Ella Hewett LO47

S.T. Ella Hewett LO47

S.T. Ella Hewett LO47
Aground in Church Bay. Picture courtesy The Osta Collection.

Changelog
23/03/2009: Page published. 6 updates since then.
24/08/2015: Picture added.
02/11/2015: Added BOT inquiry report.
16/01/2017: Removed disputed image.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 136188
Yard Number: 588
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 205
Net Tonnage: 79
Length: 112.2 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.4 ft
Engine: 49HP T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

14.2.1914: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.588) for Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Hull as DUNNET.
24.4.1914: Registered at Hull (H77).
30.4.1914: Completed (Joseph Vivian, manager).
2.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.3004).
1919: Returned.
5.3.1933: On return to Hull Sk. Parks reported that while fishing in North Sea the Third Hand was injured. Bosun and deckie launched boat to take him to mission ship, but the boat was swamped all three drowned *.
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
7.3.1936: Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd in voluntary liquidation.
1936: Fleet sold en bloc to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward) (Robert S. Hewett, Fleetwood, manager). Refurbished.
3.2.1937: Registered in ownership of Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward) (Robert S. Hewett, Fleetwood, manager).
2.7.1937: Hull registry closed.
5.7.1937: Registered at London (LO204).
1945: Sold to Robert Walkington, Fleetwood (Alex Keay, manager).
1947: Sold to Mrs Minnie Walkington & Mrs Florence Tuff, Fleetwood (Alex Keay, manager).
1949: Sold to Mrs Florence Tuff, Fleetwood (Alex Keay. manager).
1954: Sold to Alvis Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd, managers).
1955. Sold to Fern Leaf Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Hewitt Fishing Co Ltd). London registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD121).
12.1.1956: Sold for breaking up in The Netherlands.
5.9.1956: Breaking up commenced at Dordrecht.

(* Drowned men. Ernest Parks (23), Bosun; Arthur Webb (60), Third hand; Herbert Featherstone (21) deckhand.)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Dunnet LO234

S.T. Dunnet LO234

S.T. Dunnet FD121

S.T. Dunnet FD121
Picture courtesy of James Cullen

Changelog
27/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
17/02/2014: Picture added.
21/01/2017: Removed disputed image.

Read / Leave a Comment