Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 109671
Yard Number: 468
Completed: 1900
Gross Tonnage: 198
Net Tonnage: 71
Length: 110.4 ft
Breadth: 21.1 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Engine: 400ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull

History

22.1.1900: Launched by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull (Yd.No.468) for The Fleetwood Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood as CONNIE.
24.2.1900: Registered at Fleetwood (FD194).
2.1900: Completed (George E. J. Moody, Grimsby, manager).
6.3.1900: George E. J. Moody, Grimsby appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 77.93 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (Ad.No.NI). Based Cromarty.
12.1915: New boiler fitted.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
26.7.1927: Sk. George Hunt was fined £20 plus costs at Bangor for trawling within the three mile limit and retaining immature fish.
24.12.1927: Sold to The Filey United Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Scarborough Richard Ferguson Scotter, Filey, manager).
2.1.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.
1.1928: Registered at Scarborough (SH107).
1929: Sold to Connie Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Filey (Richard Cammish, Filey, manager).
1942: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood, Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager). Landing at Fleetwood from Home and Faroe grounds.
1945: Sold to Humber Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
1945: Scarborough registry closed.
23.3.1945: Vessel mortgaged(64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (A).
28.3.1945: Registered at Grimsby (GY31).
28.3.1945: Joseph Reynolds Cobley appointed manager.
13.7.1951: Mortgage (A) discharged.
1951: Sold for breaking up.
20.5.1952: Grimsby registry closed “Ship broken up”.
1945: Registered at Grimsby (GY31).
1951: Sold for breaking up. Grimsby registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Connie SH107

S.T. Connie SH107
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

S.T. Connie SH107

S.T. Connie SH107
Picture courtesy of The George Scales Collection

Changelog
16/12/2012: Page published. 6 updates since then.
14/06/2015: Picture added.
05/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermark and added an image.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3613
Official Number: 143963
Yard Number: 358
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 306
Net Tonnage: 116
Length: 130 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 12.2 feet
Engine: 600ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Speed: 10.5 knots

History

Ordered by Standard Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as the SANNYRION purchased by The Admiralty on the stocks.
10.2.1917: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.358) (non-standard “Mersey” class) for The Admiralty as JOHN ARTHUR (Ad.No.3613).
14.6.1917: Completed (1-12pdr, Hydrophone).
1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) O.N.143963.
1919: Engaged in commercial trawling on an opportunity basis.
1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
03.02.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) (LO299).
13.08.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
05.1921: At HM Dockyard, Pembroke fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Milford.
01.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed. Laid up.
1.1923: Sold to Fleetwood Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (George E. J. Moody, Grimsby, manager).
19.1.1923: London registry closed.
19.1.1923: Registered at Fleetwood (FD423).
22.2.1923: Registered at Fleetwood as GLADYS (FD423).
1926: Sir George E. J. Moody appointed manager.
25.4.1932: Arrived Fleetwood from St. Kilda ground in tow of FLORENCE BRIERLEY (FD105) having damaged propeller.
1938: Will B. Moody, Grimsby appointed manager. William Moody Kelly, Fleetwood, managing agent.
29.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (Hire rate £83.8.4d/month).
23.11.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T.
1944: Based at Fort William (D. MacBrayne Ltd, Glasgow, agents).
1946: Laid up at Fort William.
16.4.1947: Advertised for sale by tender and open for inspection. Not to be resold within two years.
24.4.1947: Tenders closed.
1947: Sold to Jones Buckie Shipyard Ltd, Larbert, Stirlingshire.
1947: Registered at Buckie as THE BRUCE (BCK179).
1949: Sold to Joseph Croan, Newhaven, Edinburgh.
Post 6.1949: Buckie registry closed. Registered at Leith (LH21).
6.1960: Sold to BISCO and allocated to G. & W. Brunton, Grangemouth for breaking up.
6.1960: Delivered Grangemouth.
28.6.1961: Breaking up commenced.
(John Arthur, Landsman (prest), age 22, b. London, age 22 – VICTORY (SB544))

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Gladys FD423

S.T. Gladys FD423
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

S.T. Gladys FD423

S.T. Gladys FD423
Picture from The Osta Collection

Changelog
21/01/2008: Page published. 3 updates since then.
15/07/2015: Information updated.
08/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 143469
Yard Number: 357
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 286
Net Tonnage: 112
Length: 130 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 13.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

Ordered by Great Grimsby & East Coast Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as the CORINTHIA purchased by The Admiralty on the stocks.
30.1.1917: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.357) (non standard “Mersey” class) for The Admiralty as JOHN APPLEBY (Ad.No.3612).
25.5.1917: Completed (1 – 12pdr, Hydro and W/T).
1919: Registered by The Admiralty in the Registry of British Ships at London.
3.2.1920: Registered by The Admiralty as a fishing vessel at London (LO286).
1.1923: Sold to Fleetwood Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (George E. J. Moody, Grimsby, manager). Fishing from Fleetwood.
18.1.1923: London registry closed.
19.1.1923: Registered at Fleetwood (FD424).
22.2.1923: Renamed LOIS (FD424).
1926: Sir George E. J. Moody, Grimsby appointed manager.
1938: Will B. Moody, Grimsby appointed manager. William Moody Kelly, Fleetwood, managing agent.
20.11.1939: Off Tory Island, Co. Donegal picked up crew of SEA SWEEPER (FD171) stopped by U-boat (U.33) and sunk by gunfire.
27.2.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No. FY.781) (Hire rate £83.8.4d/month).
31.11.1944: Returned to owner.
30.12.1946: Sailed Fleetwood for Icelandic grounds (Sk. George Smith); fifteen crew.
5.1.1947: Wrecked at Grindavik, south west coast of Iceland in severe weather. Crew* rescued by breeches buoy but skipper lost.
21.1.1947: Fleetwood registry closed “Total Loss”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Lois FD424

S.T. Lois FD424

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
03/02/2017: Removed disputed image.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 124694
Yard Number: 537
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 294
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 135 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull

History

10.9.1907: Launched by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull (Yd.No.537) for Fleetwood Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood as MARJORIE.
10.1907: Completed.
1.11.1907: Registered at Fleetwood (FD139), George E. J. Moody, Grimsby, manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 96.27net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.1914: Sold to Société Anonyme Pêcheries du Nord, Ostend.
25.6.1914: Fleetwood registry closed.
6.1914: Registered at Ostend as MARGUERITE (O154).
1926: Sold to Société Anonyme Chalutiers de la Rochelle, La Rochelle. Registered at La Rochelle as AVOCETTE.
1936: No owner recorded.
1937: Sold for breaking up.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Marguerite O154

S.T. Marguerite O154
Picture courtesy of Emiel Rycx

Changelog
27/12/2008: Page published. 4 updates since then.
06/01/2016: Picture added.
06/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 114307
Yard Number: 490
Completed: 1904
Gross Tonnage: 280
Net Tonnage: 96
Length: 122.3 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull

History

27.12.1904: Launched by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull (Yd.No.490) for The Fleetwood Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood as LUCY.
1.1905: Completed (George E. J. Moody, Grimsby, manager).
6.2.1905: Registered at Fleetwood (FD24).
21.1.1917: Stopped by U-boat (U45) while fishing 42 miles NW by N of Inishtrahull; crew abandoned in boat. Sunk by gunfire at 9.00 am. in position 55.51N 8.17W.
22.1.1917: Crew landed safely at Castlebay, Barra.
26.1.1917: Fleetwood registry closed “Sunk by enemy submarine”.

Changelog
26/12/2008: Page published. 3 updates since then.

Read / Leave a Comment