Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow
Official Number: 110877
Yard Number: 123
Gross Tonnage: 241.16
Net Tonnage: 89.97
Length: 119.3 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Dundee Shipbuilders’ Co Ltd, Dundee
Engine: T.3-cyl (540ihp) and boiler by Cooper & Greig, Dundee
1899: Launched by Dundee Shipbuilders’ Co Ltd, Dundee (Yd.No.123) for Atlantic Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as MAGNIFIC.
24.4.1899: Registered at Grimsby (GY8).
24.4.1899: Robert Walter Windeatt designated manager.
2.5.1899: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (A).
7.6.1900: Sold to Grimsby Steam Fishing Vessels’ Mutual Insurance & Protecting Co Ltd, Grimsby.
7.6.1900: Mortgage (A) discharged.
29.6.1900: Sold to Hugh McIntyre (64/64), Glasgow.
11.6.1900: George Jeffs designated manager.
9.7.1900; Hugh McIntyre designated managing owner.
9.4.1901: Sold to C. T. Bowring & Co Ltd (64/64), Liverpool.
18.4.1901: Grimsby registry closed “Coasting”.
18.4.1901: Frederick Charles Bowring designated manager.
4.1901: Registered at Liverpool. Based Halifax, Nova Scotia and engaged trawling on the Newfoundland banks. Results only judged to be “fairly successful”.
11.1903: Sold to James Codling, John William Hobbs & Arthur James Baxter, all Grimsby (joint owners 64/64).
27.11.1903: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to C. T. Bowring & Co Ltd, Liverpool for the sum of £5,500 with interest at 6% (B).
30.11.1903: Arthur James Baxter designated managing owner.
1.12.1903: Liverpool registry closed.
2.12.1903: Registered at Grimsby (GY1285).
1.1.1904: Registered at Grimsby as EDINBORO’ CASTLE (GY1285) BoT Minute 23790/05).
28.1.1908: Vessel sold by mortgagee under mortgage (B) to John William Hobbs, Leonard Brocklesby & Arthur Oscar Burns, all Grimsby (joint owners 64/64).
1909: New boiler fitted
29.1.1909: John William Hobbs designated managing owner.
29.1.1909: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to C. T. Bowring & Co Ltd, Liverpool for the sum of £3,125 with interest at 6% (C).
6.7.1909: William Acaster, Fleetwood designated managing owner at Fleetwood.
9.7.1909 – 10.1.1910: Running Agreement. Fishing out of Fleetwood (Sk. Sam Edwards, Knott End).
28.1.1910 – 1.7.1910: Running Agreement. Fishing out of Fleetwood (Sk. George Albert Novo, Fleetwood).
28.1.1910: William Acaster, Fleetwood designated agent for managing owner.
28.4.1910: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Stamford, Spalding & Boston Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (D).
3.1.1912: Mortgage (C) transferred to The Lincoln & Lindsey Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (C).
5.1.1912: Mortgage (D) discharged.
15.1.1912: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Lincoln & Spalding Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (E)
7.2.1912: Mortgage (C) discharged.
12.6.1912: Mortgage (E) discharged.
13.6.1912: Sold to The Waverley Steam Fishing Co (Grimsby) Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
13.6.1912: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Lincoln & Lindsey Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (F).
15.6.1912: Alfred Bannister designated manager.
27.9.1912: Sold to Alfred Bannister (64/64), Grimsby.
16.10.1912: Mortgage (F) discharged.
17.10.1912: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclay & Co Ltd, London (G).
17.10.1912: Alfred Bannister designated managing owner.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 94.29net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service. Fitted out as a boom trawler. Based Milford Haven.
18.8.1915: Sold to William Barton & Alfred Bannister, Grimsby (joint owners 64/64).
20.8.1915: Alfred Bannister designated managing owner.
29.6.1916: Mortgage (G) discharged.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
15.4.1931: Alfred Bannister died.
3.9.1931: Probate granted to William Barton (64/64), Grimsby.
1.12.1931: Bernard H. Bannister designated manager.
8.12.1931: William Barton shares (32/64) sold to Fred Bannister, Cleethorpes, Bernard H. Bannister, Cleethorpes, Harvey Wilfred Wilson, Grimsby & Thomas Henry Partington, Grimsby (joint owners 32/64).
31.12.1931: Bernard H. Bannister designated managing owner.
6.5.1944: Fred Bannister, Bernard H. Bannister, Harvey Wilfred Wilson & Thomas Henry Partington shares (32/64) sold to Alfred Bannister (Trawlers) Ltd (32/64), Grimsby.
6.5.1944: Fred Bannister designated manager.
16.10.1951: William Barton died.
17.4.1952: Probate granted to Elsie Barton, Gainsborough & Eric Dyson, Gainsborough, Executors (joint owners 32/64).
6.5.1952: Elsie Barton & Eric Dyson shares (32/64) sold to Alfred Bannister (Trawlers) Ltd (64/64). Grimsby.
6.5.1952: Fred Bannister designated manager.
12.1955: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
20.12.1955: Arrived Bruges.
6.1.1956: Grimsby registry closed.
Click to enlarge image
13/01/2017: Page published.
17/01/2017: Minor information update.
Official Number: 129236
Yard Number: 180
Gross Tonnage: 212.83
Net Tonnage: 78
Length: 111.4 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
5.6.1909: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.180) for Hellyer’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as YORICK.
12.8.1909: Registered at Hull (H49). Charles Hellyer appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 87.23 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
27.11.1919: Sold to Hull Northern Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. William R. Nowell appointed manager.
3.1.1930: Sold to Hellyer Bros. Ltd, Hull. Frank O. Hellyer & Owen S. Hellyer appointed managers.
1931: Sold to Jenkerson & Jones, Milford Haven. T. Jenkerson designated managing owner.
1932: Sold to Hellyer Bros. Ltd, Hull. Frank O. Hellyer & Owen S. Hellyer appointed managers.
14.11.1935: Sold to Alexander Hay, Aberdeen.
19.11.1935: Hull registry closed.
21.11.1935: Registered at Aberdeen (A382). Alexander Hay designated managing owner.
2.1941: Sold to Hellyer Bros. Ltd, Hull.
24.2.1941: Aberdeen registry closed.
2.1941: Registered at Hull (H410). Owen Stooks Hellyer appointed manager.
3.7.1944: Sold to Ocean Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. William Leslie Barkworth appointed manager.
27.6.1945: Sold to Eton Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby. George Gillard appointed manager
5.2.1946: Sold to Odafoam Ltd, Liverpool. William Stevenson, St. Anne’s-on-the-Sea appointed manager.
12.1946: Sold to Grateful Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen.
1.1947: Hull registry closed.
4.1.1947: Registered at Aberdeen (A247).
1955: Sold to BISCO for £2,525 and allocated to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd for breaking up at Charlestown, Fife (Contract No.86D).
2.8.1955: Delivered Charlestown from Aberdeen under own power.
8.1955: Breaking up commenced.
9.2.1956: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel broken up”.
Click to enlarge images
29/11/2016: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson
Official Number: 162209
Yard Number: 560
Gross Tonnage: 351
Net Tonnage: 138
Length: 140.3 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Breadth: 13.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl (600ihp) and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
6.11.1930: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.560) for Hellyer Bros Ltd as NORSE.
3.12.1930: Registered at Hull (H141). Frank Orlando & Owen Snooks Hellyer appointed joint managers.
15.12.1930: Completed. Insured for £16,500.
18.12.1930: Sailed on first trip to Norwegian Coast (Sk.Sydney Herbert Meggett); fourteen crew all told.
8.1.1931: At Hull landed 1,781 kits £1,915 gross.
1931: Landings – 334days at sea, 19,100 kits £15,097 gross.
20.7.1939: Sailed Hull for Icelandic grounds (Sk.Henry Leads) last trip before sale.
8.8.1938: At Hull landed 1,202 kits £841 gross.
9.8.1939: Sold to Shire Trawlers Ltd, Grimsby for the sum of £12,400.
11.8.1939: Hull registry closed.
14.8.1939: Registered at Grimsby (GY197).
29.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr HA/LA, AA weapons) (P.No.FY1628) (Hire rate £174.0.9d/month).
12.1940: At Sheerness un-grouped (Ty/Sk. Charles S. Larter DSC RNR).
3.9.1940: Sk. Larter Mentioned in Despatches for bravery, skill and enterprise in Minesweeping operations off the Coasts of Holland, Belgium and France.
5.9.1940: Sk. Charles W. H. Shearing RNR appointed CO.
1.11.1940: Sk.Charles Whitworth appointed CO.
8.1.1941: At Sheerness with M/S Group 121 ((Ty/Sk. J. T. Salter RNR).
25.6.1941: Joined escort of Convoy OG 66, Liverpool for Gibraltar (Ty/Lieut. John Charles Staniland RNR).
8.7.1941: Arrived Gibraltar. Mediterranean Command.
10.1943: Ty/Lieut. William Ian Brooks RNVR appointed CO.
6.1944: Employed on miscellaneous naval duties (Ty/ Lieut. Philip Winton Jequier RNVR).
10.11.1944: Returned to owner.
2.1945: Restored and surveyed at Middlesbrough.
26.10.1945: Sold to Partnership (Hull) Ltd, Hull.
31.10.1945: Grimsby registry closed.
6.11.1945: Registered at Hull (H141). Kenneth Percival appointed manager/Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd agents. Insured for £30,000.
29.10.1945: Sailed Hull for Icelandic grounds (Sk. Harry Fletcher, Grimsby); twenty crew all told.
26.11.1945: At Hull landed 573 kits £2,771 gross.
8.3.1946: Sailed Hull for Norway Coast (Sk. Frederick Pitts) last trip before sale.
30.3.1946: At Hull landed 1,909 kits £6,146 gross.
29.10.1945 – 30.3.1946: Landings – 128 days at sea, 5,604 kits £19,770.
15.4.1946: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood. Cdr. E. D. W. Lawford DSO appointed manager. Hull manager Percy Lincoln Campbell.
15.4.1946: Lt Cdr Eric George Littler, DSC RNR, Fleetwood appointed skipper.
11.1946: Sold to p/f Jacob Haraldsen’s Efterfölgere, Fuglefjord, Faroe Islands.
28.11.1946: Hull registry closed. 12.1946: Registered at Fuglefjord as KROSS-STEINYU (aka KROSSSTEINUR) (FD88). A/S Kristian Haraldsen & J. P. Gregerson appointed managers.
10.1955: Sold to A/S H.J. Hansen, Odense, for breaking up.
1955: Fuglefjord registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
15/11/2016: Page published.
17/11/2016: Information updated.
Additional information courtesy of Milford Trawlers
Official Number: 96212
Yard Number: 332
Gross Tonnage: 183.02
Net Tonnage: 55
Length: 107.4 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
1890: Launched by Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull (Yd.No.332) for The Grimsby Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as ELECTRIC.
2.1890: Completed as a well vessel and liner.
25.2.1890: Registered at Grimsby (GY236). Henry Kelly, Cleethorpes appointed manager.
1911: New boiler fitted.
1912: George Edward James Moody, Cleethorpes appointed manager. Fishing out of Fleetwood. Engaged in trawling.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 78.73 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
29.5.1915: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
7.1915: Sold to Aberdeen owners.
5.1916: Sold to Neville Simpson Clarke, Scarborough & Thomas Crimlisk, Filey.
9.5.1916: Grimsby registry closed.
10.5.1916: Registered at Scarborough (SH232).
5.1916: Thomas Crimlisk designated managing owner.
29.11.1916: Sold to Thomas Crimlisk, Filey; Frank Crimlis, Hull; Frederick William Simpson and Benjamin Simpson Jnr, both Scarborough.
19.4.1917: Fishing out of Hull.
4.1919: Sold to Reginald White, Grimsby.
17.4.1919: Scarborough registry closed.
25.4.1919: Registered at Grimsby (GY286). Reginald White designated managing owner.
1926: Sold to Charles Harold Bird, Hakin.
1928: Sold to Charles A. Munnings, T. D. Davies, R. A. G. Taylor & Archie R. Locke, all Hakin. David Pettit appointed manager.
03.11.1928: Trawling off the Co. Wexford coast (Sk. “Ginger” Knowles); eleven crew all told. In company with steam trawlers UBERTY (R219) (Sk William George Stanford) and CICERO (H931) (Sk. Noel Bray). Towing around the Black Rock inside the Barrels Rocks, gear fouled propeller and vessel became unmanageable, struck a rock and started to fill. Crew taken off by UBERTY (R219). At about 11.00pm foundering in deep water off Carnsore Point.
5.11.1928: Survivors landed at Milford.
15.11.1928: Grimsby registry closed “Total loss”.
03/10/2016: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of Peter Bell and Bill Blow
Official Number: 108463
Yard Number: 142
Gross Tonnage: 161
Net Tonnage: 55
Length: 104.2 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Built: Mackie & Thomson Ltd, Govan
Engine: T.3-cyl by Muir & Houston Ltd, Glasgow
13.3.1897: Launched by Mackie & Thomson Ltd, Govan (Yd.No.142) for Hagerup, Doughty & Co Ltd, Grimsby as WALTHAM.
11.5.1897: Registered at Grimsby (GY303). Frederick Emil Hagerup appointed manager.
4.1906: Sold to Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co (Grimsby) Ltd, Grimsby. John Denton Marsden appointed manager. Fishing out of Fleetwood.
30.5.1910: Arrested for suspected illegal trawling off north coast of Co. Mayo.
12.7.1910: At Ballina, Co. Mayo, Petty Sessions, The Dept of Agriculture in Ireland brought charges against the skipper of illegal trawling. The magistrates did not accept the defence that the trawler was sheltering and imposed a fine of £100 with £28 cost.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 63 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
12.1914: Requisitioned for war services as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.689).
10.12.1914: Arrived Larne as part of Unit 69.
28.1. – 13.2.1915: Detached to Morecambe Bay with minesweeping trawlers CERESIA (Ad.No.194) (FD26) and ROSE II ((Ad.No.592)(GY312).
28.5. – 8.6.1915: At Belfast, refit and repairs. Ty/Sk. Alfred C. Cable RNR appointed CO.
9.8.- 18.8.1916: At Dublin, refit and repairs.
6.2. – 16.2.1917: At Dublin, refit and repairs.
3.1917: At Larne fitting out as decoy vessel.
4.7. – 13.7.1917: At Dublin, repairs. Ty/Sk. James Mair RNR appointed CO. Possibly operating as a ‘Q’ ship.
10.10.1917: Missing off the Isle of Man. May have been mined by mines laid on 4.10.1917 by U.boat (UC75). (Loss is not recorded in ADM137).
16.4.1919: Grimsby registry closed “Vessel lost”.
Lost: Ty/Sk. James Mair RNR; William Webster, 2nd Hand; Robert Strachan, Engineman; Campbell Duncan, Michael Holland, Edmund Richardson, Peter S. Stephen, James Stewart, David Wilson, deckhands; Charles F. Fewster, Robert W. Marsh, John Smith, William Tolan, trimmers.
08/08/2016: Page published.
13/01/2017: Information updated.