Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and Douglas Paterson
Official Number: 110909
Yard Number: 237
Gross Tonnage: 173
Net Tonnage: 61
Length: 108.8 ft
Breadth: 21 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Engine: 350ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Speed: 9.5 knots
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull
8.8.1899: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.237) for Roberts & Ruthven Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as HORUS.
15.9.1899: Registered at Grimsby (GY691).
9.1899: Completed Robert W. Roberts, manager).
27.4.1916: Captured by German armed trawler in North Sea and taken to Wilhelmshavn. Renamed KRIEGSHILFE.
1919: Returned and reverted to HORUS (GY154).
1919: Remeasured 166.54g 65.52n.
9.1921: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Boston.
20.9.1921: Grimsby registry closed. Registered at Boston as DALBY (BN161).
5.1922: Sold to Pogson, Symonds & Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby. George William Pogson, Cleethorpes appointed manager.
19.5.1922: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to George William Pogson, Cleethorpes for the sum of £1000 with interest at 6% (A).
10.1922: Boston registry closed.
5.10.1922: Registered at Grimsby (GY154).
24.10.1922: Mortgage (A) discharged.
26.10. 1922: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The National Provincial & Union Bank of England Ltd, London (B).
5.10.1922: Registered at Grimsby as DALBY (GY154).
15.2.1924: Mortgagee restyled National Provincial Bank Ltd, London.
27.5.1925: Sold by mortgagee under mortgage (B) to Bowden Ramster (64/64), Fleetwood.
28.5.1925: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (C).
30.5.1925: Bowden Ramster designated managing owner.
25.6.1925: Mortgage (C) discharged.
15.6.1925: Bowden Ramster appointed manager.
26.6.1925: Sold to The Dalby Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. (Bowden Ramster, manager).
26.6.1925: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (D).
16.12.1935: Mortgage (D) discharged.
30.10.1937: Landed deckhand at Douglas, IoM with injuries sustained when gear parted.
Pre 8.1938: Laid up at Fleetwood.
3.1939: Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Preston.
29.3.1939: Grimsby registry closed “Ship broken up”.
14/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.
Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall
Official Number: 116085
Yard Number: 303
Gross Tonnage: 247
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 125 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 70hp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co, Hull
8.7.1902: Launched by Cochrane & Sons, Selby (Yd.No.303) for James H. Collinson, Hull (managing owner) as CAVE.
17.9.1902: Registered at Hull (H.643).
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.389).
30.12.1916: Additional 1-6pdr HA fitted. Northern Patrol.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
23.10.1923: Transferred to Exors of late James H. Collinson – Harry Collinson, Henry Hewett & Jesse Spring (64/64 joint owners), Hull.
30.1.1924: Connected with steamer ELVENES (3899grt/1901) disabled with damaged rudder and delivered Stornoway.
3.6.1924: Awarded £2600 by Admiralty Court for assistance to steamer ELVENES.
2.7.1924: Sold to Harry, Stanley & Charles Collinson,
Hull. 10.10.1924: Sold to Harry & Stanley Collinson, Hull.
25.1.1930: When entering Kirkwall, Orkney ran aground. Worked the engine, came afloat and berthed: no damage.
10.8.1933: Sold to The Dalby Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Bowden Ramster, manager).
2.12.1935: When entering Stornoway, Isle of Lewis ran aground and held fast. Steam trawler TRANSVAAL (FD381) connected and refloated; berthed for survey.
16.3.1937: Homeward from the fishing grounds in very heavy weather when 30 miles west of Dhu Hearteach shipped a heavy sea and three crew swept across deck and dashed against ironwork. John Randle sustained head injuries and Tom Garwood and John Snasdall body injuries.
17.3.1937: Put into Oban for medical assistance; all three taken to West Highland Cottage Hospital, Randell was unconscious and his injuries serious.
6.8.1943: Sold to J. Bennett (Wholesale) Ltd, London (William A. Bennett, manager). Landing at Fleetwood from Faroe and Iceland grounds.
30.11.1945: Insured value £14,000; for 1946 proposed same.
21.10.1946: Sold to William Flockhart, Newhaven, Edinburgh & others (trading as Ocean Fishing Co, Newhaven) (George A. Ward, manager).
7.11.1947: Sold to Joseph Croan, Edinburgh.
12.8.1948: Sold to Den Fishing Co Ltd, Dundee (Harry McFarlane, Broughty Ferry, manager).
1950: Sold to BISCO and allocated to P. & W. McLellan Ltd, Bo’ness for breaking up.
3.5.1950: Arrived Bo’ness from Granton under own power.
22.12.1950: Hull registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
23/01/2009: Page published. 10 revisions since then.
20/08/2014: Broken image link repaired.
28/07/2016: Information added.
Official Number: 109030
Yard Number: 204
Gross Tonnage: 181
Net Tonnage: 74
Length: 110 ft
Breadth: 21 ft
Depth: 11.3 ft
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Speed: 10 knots
26.2.1898: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.204) for The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as the CITY OF HULL.
26.5.1898: Registered at Hull (H396).
5.1898: Completed (John A. Laverack, manager)
27.5.1907: Sold to Dublin Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Dublin (Arthur Richardson, manager).
5.2.1908: Hull registry closed.
2.1908: Registered at Dublin as DEAN SWIFT (D335).
14.1.1911: Arrived Dublin with crew of Liverpool owned, Glasgow registered steamer TURTLE (146grt/1893) which had foundered off Carlingford Lough, Co. Down.
1913: Fishing from Fleetwood
1915: Fitted with new deck.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1922: Company restructured as Dublin Trawling, Ice & Cold Storage Co Ltd, Dublin (Arthur Richardson, manager).
1926: Sold to Mrs J. M. F. A. Nierinck, Blackpool (Frank Thornley, Fleetwood, manager).
1928: Sold to Thornley & Co, Fleetwood (Frank Thornley, manager).
1928: Sold to Dalby Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Bowden Ramster, manager).
5.1929: Dublin registry closed.
25.5.1929: Registered at Fleetwood (FD29).
4.2.1957: Sheltering in Ramsey Bay (Sk. Jack Randles) assistance requested by ALCMARIA (LT48) (Sk. Leslie Hatcher), disabled off Maughould Head with boiler trouble. Steamed 40 miles in rough weather to arrive at the drifting ALCMARIA 11 miles NW of Morecambe Bay Lightship. At 6.00 pm. attempted to connect but line parted. At 8.30 pm. Sk. Hatcher sent SOS and at 10.00 pm Barrow lifeboat launched, also answered by RED SABRE (LO71) (Sk. Jim McKernan) outward for fishing grounds.
5.2.1957. At 3.00 am with Barrow lifeboat in attendance, after several attempts with rocket and barrel RED SABRE connected, but line carried away and fouled propeller. With Barrow lifeboat still in attendance and in moderating weather, Sk. Randles, connected at 5.00 pm. and towed to Fleetwood arriving just after midday.
20.1.1959: Sold to Hammond Lane Foundry Ltd, Dublin for breaking up.
27.1.1959: Delivered Dublin from Fleetwood under own power.
28.11.1959: Fleetwood registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
21/01/2009: Page published. 5 revisions since then.
12/04/2014: Second picture added.
01/12/2014: Information updated.
Official Number: 162977
Yard Number: 1301
Pennant Number: (WWII) FY. 1525
Gross Tonnage: 143
Net Tonnage: 47
Length: 102.1 ft
Net Tonnage: 20.7 ft
Depth: 9.5 ft
Engine: 250 hp T.3-cyl by Industrieele Maats. “Hera”, Ymuiden
Built: Gebr. Boot, Leiderdorp
1916: Launched by Gebr. Boot, Leiderdorp (Yd No.1031 ) for Naam VennStoomviss “Zaanstroom VI” (P. J. D. & Joh. Dil & S.Yff, Zaandijk, managers) as ZAANSTROOM VI.
Pre1920: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Maats “Maastroom II”, IJmuiden (N.V. Scheeps Exploit Maats “Maastroom”, managers). Renamed MAASSTROOM II.
19??: Sold to ?? and renamed ARIA.
Pre1927: Sold to N.V. Zeevissch Maats “Alcmaria”, IJmuiden. Renamed ALCMARIA.
1935: Sold to Bowden Ramster, Fleetwood.
21.3.1935: Registered at Lowestoft (LT48).
30.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.1525) (Hire rate £41.18.8d/month) (Nore/Yarmouth).
30.5.1940: Sailed Yarmouth with twelve other drifters for Ramsgate.
31.5.1940: Sailed Ramsgate for Dunkirk (Operation Dynamo). Assisted in evacuation.
8.1940: Fitting out at Leith.
15.10.1940: Transferred to Royal Norwegian Navy (Rosyth/Port Edgar) with M/S Group 164.
28.11.1944: Returned to Royal Navy.
12.1944: At Dundee minesweeping gear removed.
2.1945: For disposal.
3.9.1945: Returned to owner.
1951: Sold to the Dalby Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Bowden Ramster, Cleveleys, manager).
4.2.1957: At 9.30 am. disabled with boiler trouble off Maughold Head, IoM (Sk.Leslie Hatcher) requested assistance from DEAN SWIFT (FD29) (Sk. Jack Randles), sheltering in Ramsey Bay. In heavy rain, gusting 56mph, drifted to within11 miles NW of Morecambe Bay Lightship when DEAN SWIFT arrived on scene at 5.30 pm. At 6.00 pm. tried to connect but line parted. 8.30 pm. made SOS. 10.00 pm. Barrow lifeboat launched and RED SABRE (LO71) (Sk. Jim McKernan), outward for the fishing grounds, turned back.
5.2.1957: At 3.00 am. lifeboat stood by while RED SABRE attempted to pass a line by rocket and barrel and was eventually successful only to see line carried away and her propeller fouled. With Barrow lifeboat still in attendance and in moderating weather DEAN SWIFT connected at 5.00 am. and commenced tow to Fleetwood arriving in the afternoon. Boiler beyond economical repair.
26.2.1957: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Barrow-in-Furness. (Also recorded as delivered Barrow 22.2.1957)
Click to enlarge image
Official Number: 148316
Yard Number: 895
Gross Tonnage: 303
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 131 ft
Breadth: 24 ft
Depth: 13.2 ft
Engine: 99hp T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co, Southbank on Tees
18.11.1929: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.895) for Neale & West Ltd, Cardiff as NODZU.
12.1929: Completed (Morley H. Neale & Joshua S. Neale, joint managers). Registered at Cardiff (CF22).
1.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.659) (Hire rate £142.13.3d/month).
1956: Neale & West Ltd closed their Cardiff base; vessels for sale.
5.1956: Sold to Dalby Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (John B. Ramster, Cleveleys, manager).
5.1956: Cardiff registry closed.
5.1956: Registered at Fleetwood (FD49).
6.1959: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
4.11.1959: Delivered Preston from Fleetwood under own power. Fleetwood registry closed.
Click to enlarge image