Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow
Official Number: 110877
Yard Number: 123
Gross Tonnage: 241.16
Net Tonnage: 89.97
Length: 119.3 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Dundee Shipbuilders’ Co Ltd, Dundee
Engine: T.3-cyl (540ihp) and boiler by Cooper & Greig, Dundee
1899: Launched by Dundee Shipbuilders’ Co Ltd, Dundee (Yd.No.123) for Atlantic Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as MAGNIFIC.
24.4.1899: Registered at Grimsby (GY8).
24.4.1899: Robert Walter Windeatt designated manager.
2.5.1899: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (A).
7.6.1900: Sold to Grimsby Steam Fishing Vessels’ Mutual Insurance & Protecting Co Ltd, Grimsby.
7.6.1900: Mortgage (A) discharged.
29.6.1900: Sold to Hugh McIntyre (64/64), Glasgow.
11.6.1900: George Jeffs designated manager.
9.7.1900; Hugh McIntyre designated managing owner.
9.4.1901: Sold to C. T. Bowring & Co Ltd (64/64), Liverpool.
18.4.1901: Grimsby registry closed “Coasting”.
18.4.1901: Frederick Charles Bowring designated manager.
4.1901: Registered at Liverpool. Based Halifax, Nova Scotia and engaged trawling on the Newfoundland banks. Results only judged to be “fairly successful”.
11.1903: Sold to James Codling, John William Hobbs & Arthur James Baxter, all Grimsby (joint owners 64/64).
27.11.1903: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to C. T. Bowring & Co Ltd, Liverpool for the sum of £5,500 with interest at 6% (B).
30.11.1903: Arthur James Baxter designated managing owner.
1.12.1903: Liverpool registry closed.
2.12.1903: Registered at Grimsby (GY1285).
1.1.1904: Registered at Grimsby as EDINBORO’ CASTLE (GY1285) BoT Minute 23790/05).
28.1.1908: Vessel sold by mortgagee under mortgage (B) to John William Hobbs, Leonard Brocklesby & Arthur Oscar Burns, all Grimsby (joint owners 64/64).
1909: New boiler fitted
29.1.1909: John William Hobbs designated managing owner.
29.1.1909: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to C. T. Bowring & Co Ltd, Liverpool for the sum of £3,125 with interest at 6% (C).
6.7.1909: William Acaster, Fleetwood designated managing owner at Fleetwood.
9.7.1909 – 10.1.1910: Running Agreement. Fishing out of Fleetwood (Sk. Sam Edwards, Knott End).
28.1.1910 – 1.7.1910: Running Agreement. Fishing out of Fleetwood (Sk. George Albert Novo, Fleetwood).
28.1.1910: William Acaster, Fleetwood designated agent for managing owner.
28.4.1910: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Stamford, Spalding & Boston Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (D).
3.1.1912: Mortgage (C) transferred to The Lincoln & Lindsey Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (C).
5.1.1912: Mortgage (D) discharged.
15.1.1912: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Lincoln & Spalding Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (E)
7.2.1912: Mortgage (C) discharged.
12.6.1912: Mortgage (E) discharged.
13.6.1912: Sold to The Waverley Steam Fishing Co (Grimsby) Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
13.6.1912: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Lincoln & Lindsey Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (F).
15.6.1912: Alfred Bannister designated manager.
27.9.1912: Sold to Alfred Bannister (64/64), Grimsby.
16.10.1912: Mortgage (F) discharged.
17.10.1912: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclay & Co Ltd, London (G).
17.10.1912: Alfred Bannister designated managing owner.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 94.29net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service. Fitted out as a boom trawler. Based Milford Haven.
18.8.1915: Sold to William Barton & Alfred Bannister, Grimsby (joint owners 64/64).
20.8.1915: Alfred Bannister designated managing owner.
29.6.1916: Mortgage (G) discharged.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
15.4.1931: Alfred Bannister died.
3.9.1931: Probate granted to William Barton (64/64), Grimsby.
1.12.1931: Bernard H. Bannister designated manager.
8.12.1931: William Barton shares (32/64) sold to Fred Bannister, Cleethorpes, Bernard H. Bannister, Cleethorpes, Harvey Wilfred Wilson, Grimsby & Thomas Henry Partington, Grimsby (joint owners 32/64).
31.12.1931: Bernard H. Bannister designated managing owner.
6.5.1944: Fred Bannister, Bernard H. Bannister, Harvey Wilfred Wilson & Thomas Henry Partington shares (32/64) sold to Alfred Bannister (Trawlers) Ltd (32/64), Grimsby.
6.5.1944: Fred Bannister designated manager.
16.10.1951: William Barton died.
17.4.1952: Probate granted to Elsie Barton, Gainsborough & Eric Dyson, Gainsborough, Executors (joint owners 32/64).
6.5.1952: Elsie Barton & Eric Dyson shares (32/64) sold to Alfred Bannister (Trawlers) Ltd (64/64). Grimsby.
6.5.1952: Fred Bannister designated manager.
12.1955: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
20.12.1955: Arrived Bruges.
6.1.1956: Grimsby registry closed.
Click to enlarge image
13/01/2017: Page published.
17/01/2017: Minor information update.
Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson
Official Number: 162209
Yard Number: 560
Gross Tonnage: 351
Net Tonnage: 138
Length: 140.3 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Breadth: 13.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl (600ihp) and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
6.11.1930: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.560) for Hellyer Bros Ltd as NORSE.
3.12.1930: Registered at Hull (H141). Frank Orlando & Owen Snooks Hellyer appointed joint managers.
15.12.1930: Completed. Insured for £16,500.
18.12.1930: Sailed on first trip to Norwegian Coast (Sk.Sydney Herbert Meggett); fourteen crew all told.
8.1.1931: At Hull landed 1,781 kits £1,915 gross.
1931: Landings – 334days at sea, 19,100 kits £15,097 gross.
20.7.1939: Sailed Hull for Icelandic grounds (Sk.Henry Leads) last trip before sale.
8.8.1938: At Hull landed 1,202 kits £841 gross.
9.8.1939: Sold to Shire Trawlers Ltd, Grimsby for the sum of £12,400.
11.8.1939: Hull registry closed.
14.8.1939: Registered at Grimsby (GY197).
29.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr HA/LA, AA weapons) (P.No.FY1628) (Hire rate £174.0.9d/month).
12.1940: At Sheerness un-grouped (Ty/Sk. Charles S. Larter DSC RNR).
3.9.1940: Sk. Larter Mentioned in Despatches for bravery, skill and enterprise in Minesweeping operations off the Coasts of Holland, Belgium and France.
5.9.1940: Sk. Charles W. H. Shearing RNR appointed CO.
1.11.1940: Sk.Charles Whitworth appointed CO.
8.1.1941: At Sheerness with M/S Group 121 ((Ty/Sk. J. T. Salter RNR).
25.6.1941: Joined escort of Convoy OG 66, Liverpool for Gibraltar (Ty/Lieut. John Charles Staniland RNR).
8.7.1941: Arrived Gibraltar. Mediterranean Command.
10.1943: Ty/Lieut. William Ian Brooks RNVR appointed CO.
6.1944: Employed on miscellaneous naval duties (Ty/ Lieut. Philip Winton Jequier RNVR).
10.11.1944: Returned to owner.
2.1945: Restored and surveyed at Middlesbrough.
26.10.1945: Sold to Partnership (Hull) Ltd, Hull.
31.10.1945: Grimsby registry closed.
6.11.1945: Registered at Hull (H141). Kenneth Percival appointed manager/Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd agents. Insured for £30,000.
29.10.1945: Sailed Hull for Icelandic grounds (Sk. Harry Fletcher, Grimsby); twenty crew all told.
26.11.1945: At Hull landed 573 kits £2,771 gross.
8.3.1946: Sailed Hull for Norway Coast (Sk. Frederick Pitts) last trip before sale.
30.3.1946: At Hull landed 1,909 kits £6,146 gross.
29.10.1945 – 30.3.1946: Landings – 128 days at sea, 5,604 kits £19,770.
15.4.1946: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood. Cdr. E. D. W. Lawford DSO appointed manager. Hull manager Percy Lincoln Campbell.
15.4.1946: Lt Cdr Eric George Littler, DSC RNR, Fleetwood appointed skipper.
11.1946: Sold to p/f Jacob Haraldsen’s Efterfölgere, Fuglefjord, Faroe Islands.
28.11.1946: Hull registry closed. 12.1946: Registered at Fuglefjord as KROSS-STEINYU (aka KROSSSTEINUR) (FD88). A/S Kristian Haraldsen & J. P. Gregerson appointed managers.
10.1955: Sold to A/S H.J. Hansen, Odense, for breaking up.
1955: Fuglefjord registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
15/11/2016: Page published.
17/11/2016: Information updated.
Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall and Bill Blow
Official Number: 123368
Yard Number: 291
Gross Tonnage: 240
Net Tonnage: 62
Length: 120.6 ft
Breadth: 22.9 ft
Depth: 13.2 ft
Built: John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by J. Abernethy & Co, Aberdeen
23.5.1906: Launched by John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.291) for The Walker Steam Trawl Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen as STAR of LIBERTY.
30.10.1906: Registered at Aberdeen (A88). Andrew walker appointed manager.
11.5.1908: Arrived Aberdeen from an Icelandic trip reporting boat lost when howmewards due to stress of weather.
7.5.1912: Aberdeen registry closed. To fish in South African waters.
14.10.1912: Laid up in Victoria Dock, Aberdeen and advertised for sale in ‘Aberdeen Journal’ Interest shown by the French Government and sale to French nationals confirmed.
19??: Remeasured 241g 53n.
1912: Sold to Soc. Anon. des Pêcheries de Biarritz, Biarritz. Renamed GRAZIELLA.
1915: Sold to Rene Pettit, Dieppe. Registered at Dieppe (D-1659).
By 1925: Sold to Brunet & Ledoux, Boulogne.
1927: Sold to Brunet & Co, Boulogne. Dieppe registry closed. Registered at Boulogne (B-??).
1928: Sold to Stephen Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen.
1928: Remeasured 226.50g 98.34n.
6.9.1928: Registered at Aberdeen as GRAZIELLA (A368) (Minute M/RG1352/28 dated 20.8.28).
2.12.1928: Registered at Aberdeen as JANE STEPHEN (A368). Thomas Stephen appointed manager.
8.1933: Sold to William Wray, Hartlepool.
8.9.1933: Aberdeen registry closed.
9.1933: Registered at Hartlepool (HL61).
9.10.1933: Registered at Hartlepool as EILEEN WRAY (HL61). William Wray designated managing owner.
7.2.1934: Homeward from fishing grounds (Sk. Ben Trueman), when some 200 miles from Hartlepool ran into very heavy weather and NW gale; boat lost, wheelhouse window stove in and some deckpound boards washed away.
9.2.1934: Arrived Hartlepool.
14.3.1935: Landed a Royal sturgeon – 3 stone and 5ft in length.
6/7.1936: Landed at Fleetwood (The Hewett Fishing Co Ltd agents)
17.12.1939: Off Hartlepool badly damaged by German aircraft, towed into Hartlepool but later foundered; no casualties.
12.1939: Salved, repaired and returned to service.
14.11.1940: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. Basil Arthur Parkes, Cleveleys appointed manager.
1942: Sold to Hellyer Brothers Ltd, Hull.
12.1942: Hartlepool registry closed.
18.12.1942: Registered at Hull (H8).
10.1945: Sold to Humber Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
10.1945: Hull registry closed.
19.10.1945: Registered at Grimsby (GY108).
19.10.1945: Joseph Reynolds Cobley appointed manager.
3.11.1945: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (A).
13.7.1951: Mortgage (A) discharged.
1952: Sold for breaking up.
23.5.1952: Grimsby registry closed. “ Ship broken up ”.
Click to enlarge image
06/05/2016: Page published.
06/10/2016: Information updated.
Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and Barry Banham
Official Number: 104196
Yard Number: 122
Gross Tonnage: 129.59
Net Tonnage: 46.93
Length: 93.6 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Built: Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley
Engine: 450ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co, Hull
12.2.1895: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley (Yd.No.122) for The Anchor Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as MONARCH.
13.3.1895: Registered at Grimsby (GY748).
13.3.1895: William Somerville Letten appointed manager.
15.3.1899: Sold to Stephen Williamson (64/64), Liverpool.
17.3.1899: Request to transfer registry to Aberdeen.
20.3.1899: Grimsby registry closed.
30.3.1899: Registered at Aberdeen (A35). Michael Doig appointed manager.
1906: Sold to Thomas Davidson (64/64), Aberdeen.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 53.96 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve. Renamed MONARCH IV.
1919: Released and reverted to MONARCH (A35).
6.2.1929: Sold George Allan Breach (21/64), Louisa Breach (21/64) and William Hutchings (22/64), Lowestoft.
4.2.1929: Aberdeen registry closed.
6.2.1929: Registered at Lowestoft (LT14). William Hutchings designated managing owner.
1935: Fishing from Fleetwood. (Jack Breach Ltd managing agents).
12.12.1935: Sold to Louisa Breach (43/64) & George Allan Breach (21/64), Lowestoft. John Victor Breach appointed manager.
9.1938: Sold to Belgium for breaking up.
8.10.1938: Lowestoft registry closed. “Vessel broken up … “
Click to enlarge image
18/04/2016: Page published.
19/05/2016: Information updated.
Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall
Official Number: 137154
Yard Number: 405
Gross Tonnage: 215.74
Net Tonnage: 83.07
Length: 115.0 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Built: The John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood Ltd, Coatbridge, Glasgow
1914: Launched by The John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.405) for The National Steam Fishing Co (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen as LEUKOS.
27.8.1914: Registered at Aberdeen (A102). James Scott Jnr appointed manager.
12.12.1914: Arrived Aberdeen (Sk. George Robertson) with body of a naval officer picked up at sea to the NE of Aberdeen. Body believed to be an officer belonging to HMS HAWKE (Capt. Hugh P. E. T. Williams RN) torpedoed off Peterhead by U-boat (U.9) on
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (Ad.No.N.I.). Based Scapa, Orkney.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Aberdeen.
27.1.1920: Sold to Arthur Reginald Tucker & James Cornelius Tippet, Cardiff. James Cornelius Tippet appointed manager.
2.4.1920: Sold to Tucker, Tippet & Co Ltd, Cardiff. James Cornelius Tippet appointed manager.
1922: Fishing from Milford. Harry E. East managing agent.
27.2.1927: Sailed Milford for the fishing grounds (Sk. Edward Major). Owing to weather outside came to anchor off Popton Point.
28.2.1927: At about 10.00am. observed trawler THOMAS BARTLETT (LO373) coming in from sea and anchored close by, the wind was south west to west blowing a strong gale. The bosun, Charles Richard Johnson was on anchor watch, and reported to the skipper that the THOMAS BARTLETT was dragging and when some 20 to 30 yards away it appeared she would drive across the bows. The whistle was sounded and the THOMAS BARTLETT eased her cable and started to come astern but did not clear, hitting the stem with the port side, the head coming round to starboard and the THOMAS BARTLETT dropped down along side on the starboard side. No damage to the stem was apparent.
28.2.1927: Sailed for the fishing grounds but found water ingress in way of the stem, temporary repair carried out by Ch Eng. and continued on voyage.
1.6.1927: Last landing at Milford.
18.6.1927: Sold to Dublin Trawling, Ice and Cold Storage Co Ltd, Dublin.
24.6.1927: Aberdeen registry closed.
6.1927: Registered at Dublin (D86). Patrick Fannon appointed manager. Occasional landings at Fleetwood.
Mid 2.1940: Last landing at Fleetwood.
29.2.1940: Sailed Dublin for the fishing grounds via Troon to coal (Sk. James Potter Thomasson); eleven hands all told. The ship had the Irish tricolour painted on her hull clearly indicating a vessel from a neutral country; fitted with wireless.
1.3.1940: Sailed Troon for the ‘the bank’ off Tory Island.
9.3.1940: In forenoon spoke to two other trawlers of the same company in Donegal Bay, confirmed a good catch and ETA Dublin 12.3.1940.
9.3.1940: A group of Fleetwood trawlers fishing 12 miles NW of Tory Island, Co. Donegal, ALVIS (H52); FLYING ADMIRAL (H66); JOHN MORRICE (A786); PELAGOS (GN55) and SEDOCK (GY123) and reported with the Irish trawler LEUKOS (D86) also in the vicinity. At 2003 (Wilhelshaven time) a U-boat (U.38) surfaced having observed through periscope and listening device the group of trawlers. On the surface noticed that all had their lights on and were apparently forming a guarding line on a N-S course. In his log the CO. Kptlt. Heinrich Liebe wrote “I decided to administer a warning to one of them with the gun.” At 2113, and within about 200 metres of the target, fired a single round at a ship, hitting her in the engine room; the U-boat withdrew staying on the surface about one hour until ship foundered. No attempt was made by the U-boat to identify the vessel or search for survivors. None of the five trawlers in the vicinity closed to investigate, if in fact they were aware of the incident. Although no conclusive evidence confirms, the ship probably was the LEUKOS; all eleven crew lost*.
16.3.1940: Owners expressed fears for the safety of the vessel.
21.3.1940: Lifeboat containing a lifebuoy bearing the name ‘S.T. LEUKOS’ washed up at Scarinish, Tiree, Inner Hebrides.
26.3.1940: Posted missing.
1940: Dublin registry closed.
(Lost* – Sk. James P. Thomasson (29) married, Milton Street, Fleetwood & 63 Lower Mount Street, Dublin; James Donnelly (42) married, North Albert Street, Fleetwood, Mate; P. J. O’Scanlon, 5 Douglas Road, Cleethorpes, Bosun; Alec McLeod (50) single, Wyre Street, Fleetwood and 53 Kenneth Street, Stornoway, Ch Eng; Bernard Smith (23), 10 Boyne Street, Dublin, 2nd Eng; Thomas Mulligan single, The Mission, Fleetwood & Catholic Seamens Institute, Dublin & Anthony Pill (18) single, The Mission, Fleetwood & Catholic Seamens Institute, Dublin, deckhands; Michael Cullen (17) single, 29 Boyne Street, Dublin, fireman; Patricio McCarthy (42) single, 40 Carlton Street, Marino, Dublin, cook; James Hawkins (17) single, 69 Park Road, Ringsend, Dublin & Fleetwood and Robert Sumler (16) single, 63 Lower Mount Street, Dublin & Milton Street, Fleetwood (brother-in-law of the skipper), apprentices )
Click to enlarge image
08/02/2016: Page published.