Admiralty Number: 3829
Official Number: 143833
Yard Number: 309
Gross Tonnage: 276
Net Tonnage: 109
Length: 125.2 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons Ltd, South Shields
Built: J. P. Rennoldson & Sons Ltd, South Shields
9.7.1918: Launched by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons Ltd, South Shields (Yd.No.309) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as ISAAC HEATH (Ad.No.3829).
21.8.1918: Completed (1 – 12pdr).
30.12.1919: Registered by The Admiralty as a fishing vessel at London (LO244).
1920: Sold to Skomer Steam Shipping Co Ltd, Cardiff (Lewis Bull, manager).
16.11.1923: Sold to Brand & Curzon Ltd, Milford Haven (Edward Brand & Charles Curzon, managers).
2.1929: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood Geoffry Edwards Marr, manager).
22.2.1929: London registry closed.
26.2.1929: Registered at Fleetwood (FD17).
28.5.1929: Registered at Fleetwood as TEROMA (FD17).
3.1932: Fishing off Butt of Lewis (Sk. Charles H. Taylor), chased and arrested by fishery cruiser NORNA and taken to Stornoway, alleged trawling inside the three mile limit and trying to ram the fishery cruiser.
9-11.3.1932: At Stornoway Sheriff Court, Sk.Taylor pleaded guilty to fishing without the regulation lights; he was fined £100 for illegal trawling, £10 for not carrying the regulation lights or alternatively 90 days imprisonment. Walter R. Bowie, first hand and Charles Brown, second hand were found not guilty of acting in concert with the skipper. The charges of dangerous navigation were dismissed.
27.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.527) (Hire rate £82.6.0d/month).
3.1945: Returned to owner.
12.5.1949: Sold to Mason Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Robert H. Bagshaw, manager).
5.5.1948: In strong NW wind, choppy sea and showery, stranded 3 miles N of Port Askaig, Islay. Port Askaig lifeboat stood by.
16.11.1955: Outward for fishing grounds in dense fog in collision with grab dredger/hopper FOULNEY (672grt/1938) one mile off Fleetwood. Sustained bow damage and returned to Fleetwood.
17.11.1955: FOULNEY went aground but refloated on morning tide.
8.1958: Sold to Hammond Lane Foundry Ltd, Dublin for breaking up.
7.8.1958: Arrived at Dublin from Fleetwood under own power.
21.10.1958: Fleetwood registry closed.
(Isaac Heath, Private, Marine, age 22, b. Uphill, Somerset – VICTORY (ML185))
Click to enlarge image
Official Number: 160890
Yard Number: 539
Gross Tonnage: 363
Net Tonnage: 162
Length: 140.3 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Engine: 96hp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Speed: 11 knots
(In 1935 the Hull trawler Leonidas (162186) (H267) was lengthened by Smiths Dock Co. Ltd. The work involved creating an improved hull form with new bow and stern sections. The design was successful, not only providing increased fish room capacity, but also, as was expected, reducing coal consumption and giving a slightly higher free running speed. Other owners stemmed vessels at Middlesbrough for similar work to be undertaken).
T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
27.09.1929: The board of Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd decided to build two distant water trawlers to a design submitted by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd.
18.12.1929: Contracts signed with the shipyard to build the ships at a cost of £14,975 each, this included C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd price to make the engine and boiler. (C. D. Holmes had become major shareholders in Cook, Welton & Gemmell so separate contracts involving the two companies were discontinued).
The names chosen were KINGSTON OLIVINE and KINGSTON CORAL. In the tender the shipyard included the option to build additional vessels to this design at the same price. This option was exercised and an additional vessel was ordered and named KINGSTON CYANITE (Yd.No.541).
Total cost with amendments, fishing gear and other equipment £16,604.18s 7d
15.3.1930: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.539) for Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as KINGSTON OLIVINE (named by Mrs Whitley, wife of skipper).
5.4.1930: Registered at Hull (H209).
10.4.1930: Completed (John W. Lown, manager).
1.24.1930: Sailed on first trip to Iceland (Sk. Whitley).
30.4.1930: Landed 1294 kits grossed £1397.
19.8.1936: Stemmed at Middlesbrough for lengthening.
25.8.1936: Sailed Hull for Middlesbrough.
11.1936: Completed lengthening by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough to 151.2 feet (including fitting new bow and stern sections). Re measured 379g 146n. Cost £4,000.
10.11.1936: Arrived Hull after lengthening.
11.11.1936: Re-registered (H209) after lengthening and tonnage change.
28.7.1939: Last landing at Hull prior to inspection by The Admiralty with a view to purchase.
8.8.1939: Completed trials.
8.8.1939: Sold to The Admiralty (£18,081) and directed to Blyth for conversion by Blyth Drydocks & Shipbuilding Co Ltd.
30.8.1939: Payment received.
11.1939: Fitted out as an anti-submarine trawler (1 – 4”, 3 – 20mm AA, 1 – .50 cal MG & 1 – Holman Projector AA)(P.No.FY.193).
15.11.1939: Hull registry closed.
5/6.1940: At Dunkirk evacuation (Operation Dynamo).
7.1940: Based Harwich with A/S Group 19 (Lt G. W. Gregorie RNR), patrol & escort duties.
7.1940: At Barry repairing.
7.1941: At Harwich (Actg Ty Lt Cdr E G Donald RNVR).
7.1942: Fitted out to a minesweeper.
6.1945: At North Woolwich for reconditioning by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Woolwich. Offered to Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd but after inspection declined as extent of work too costly. Laid up C&M.
7.1947: Sold to Swansea Trawlers Ltd, Swansea. Restored and reclassed at Appledore.
18.9.1947: Registered at Swansea as LANGLAND BAY (SA72) (K. H. Reynolds DFC, manager). Fishing from Hull (Eton Fishing Co Ltd, Hull, trip managers/agents).
26.5.1950: Hudson Brothers Trawlers. Ltd, Hull appointed trip managers/agents.
1.1.1953: Transferred to Milford (Milford Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Milford Haven, trip managers/agents).
20.12.1953: Last landing at Milford. Laid up.
6.1954: Sold to Mason Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Robert. H. Bagshaw, manager).
24.6.1954: Sailed Milford for Fleetwood.
9.1954: Registered at Fleetwood as Masona (FD16).
1956: Sold to Rinovia Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Joseph R. Cobley, Healing, manager). Remained at Fleetwood.
1956: Sold to BISCO and allocated to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Troon for breaking up.
2.11.1956: Delivered Troon from Fleetwood under own power (draughts 5’0”/15’6”).
11.12.1956: Breaking commenced.
6.2.1957: Beached (5’6”/8’6”).
7.5.1957: Breaking completed. Fleetwood registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
Official Number: 113614
Yard Number: 292
Gross Tonnage: 231
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 121.7 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Engine: 65nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull
Speed: 10.5 knots
20.7.1901: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.292) for Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as QUEEN ALEXANDRA.
24.8.1901: Registered at Hull (H530).
8.1901: Completed (George T. Armitage, manager).
1914: Transferred to, Fleetwood (George T. Armitage, Hull, manager).
16.10.1916: Sank the Douglas registered smack SUNBEAM (95317) (48n/1888) in collision SE of NW Boulders Buoy, Morecambe Bay.
3.1917: At Fleetwood. Fitted with Hotchkiss 6pdr gun (No.1234)(ex PHOEBE); compliment increased by two gunners.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
7.1.1920: Sold to Thomas H. Smith, Fleetwood.
15.1.1920: Hull registry closed.
16.1.1920: Registered at Fleetwood (FD364).
1923: Sold to The Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James W. Armitage, manager).
1927: Sold to Mason Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas Cardwell, manager).
14.9.1940: Requisitioned for war service and appointed for minesweeping duties.
16.9.1940: Returned to owner (Robert H. Bagshaw, manager).
1943: Working Faroe grounds.
28.4.1951: In moderate weather, stranded 2 miles S of Carraig Mhor Light, Sound of Islay; Islay lifeboat stood by. Refloated.
8.1952: Fishing off Isle of Man had net carried away by RN submarine. No damage to trawler or submarine.
5.8.1952: Last landing.
8.1952: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
11.9.1952: Delivered Barrow from Fleetwood under own power.
9.1952: Fleetwood registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
26/01/2009: Page published. 4 revisions since then.
10/01/2015: Corrected code mistake that prevented the page from rendering correctly.
Additional information courtesy of David Slinger
Official Number: 128762
Yard Number: 523
Gross Tonnage: 237
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 120 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.8 ft
Engine: 58hp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
3.4.1912: Launched by Cochrane & Sons, Selby (Yd.No.523) for David Pettit, Hakin as CYELSE.
20.5.1912: Registered at Milford (M138).
6.6.1912: Completed (David Pettit, managing owner).
24.6.1912: Arrived Milford.
1912: Transferred to David Pettit Ltd, Milford Haven (David Pettit, Hakin, manager).
11.12.1912: Leaving Milford at 5.30pm for fishing grounds in thick rain and blowing hard (Sk. Edward Gibbs). When between Thorne Island and Stack Rock Fort, collided with steam liner EAGLE (M64) inbound which sank with the loss of five crewmen.
19.2.1913: At BoT formal investigation at Milford, the Court found Sk. Gibbs guilty of failing to keep a proper look out and suspended his ticket for nine months. The Second Hand, William Blockwell was found guilty of unsatisfactory conduct in attempting to save life and his ticket suspended for three months.
9.2.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer & W/T) (Ad.No.975). Fitted as Leader. Based Kirkwall.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Milford Haven.
21.3.1929: Stranded on rocks off Lonehort Point, Bere Island, Co. Cork; making water. Destroyer HMS SCYTHE (P.No.H22) standing by. At 10.00am. refloated under own power and proceeded.
20.8.1931: Stranded on rocks off Irish Coast for six hours but refloated; boat lost.
25.2.1934: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice
Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Fred Parkes, Blackpool, manager).
30.2.1934: Sold to Mason Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas Cardwell, manager).
30.10.1934: Milford registry closed.
11.12.1934: Registered at Fleetwood (FD67) (Richard W. Mason, manager).
1939: R. H. Bagshaw appointed manager.
22.8.1940: Requisitioned for war service and appointed for minesweeping duties.
23.8.1940: Returned to owner.
1943: Forecastle head added.
12.3.1943: Requisitioned for war service and fitted with water tank (33ton tank for boiler feed) (P.No. Y.7.8) (Hire rate £59.5.0d/month).
1944: Employed as a fuelling trawler (for refuelling diesel landing craft) (P.No.Y.7.16).
5.1944: Assigned Operation Neptune-Normandy Landings.
23.5.1944: Assigned as a fuelling trawler to Force G.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
1944: Reverted to water tank duties.
19.3.1946: Returned after restoration and re-classification at Belfast.
11.3.1949: On West of Scotland grounds (Sk. J.C.Smith); fourteen crew all told. In response to radio message attended Fleetwood trawler BEN BHEULA (A422) (Sk. W. Cowell) off Barra in heavy weather and hail storms taking in water in boiler room. Connected and towed into Castlebay for shelter.
13.3.1949: Still connected, in hail and sleet, swept by high seas on to reef. All crew abandoned in boat and taken onboard BEN BHEULA, later taken by Barra lifeboat to Castlebay.
15.3.1949: Liverpool & Glasgow Salvage Association attended but wreck declared a total loss.
1949: Fleetwood registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
23/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
16/01/2017: Image added.
Additional material courtesy of Bill Blow and Brian Booth
Official Number: 144391
Yard number: 417
Gross Tonnage: 289
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 125.5 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: 500ihp T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Boiler: Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Speed: 10.5 knots
18.6.1919: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.417)(“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as the CHARLES ANTRAM (Ad.No.4401).
13.2.1920: Completed as a fishing vessel.
25.2.1920: Registered by The Admiralty as a fishing vessel at London (LO335). Official No.144391.
29.8.1921: Sold to Société Anonyme Armement Ostendais, Ostend for £7000.
6.9.1921: London registry closed.
25.9.1921: Registered at Ostend as EDMOND VAN BEVEREN (O147).
27.9.1921: Arrived Ostend.
1930s: Landing occasionally at Fleetwood.
1.1939: Sold to Rhondda Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
1.1939: Ostend registry closed.
12.1.1939: Registered at Grimsby as FLANDERS (GY10).
12.1.1939: Sir John Denton Marsden, Bart appointed manager.
30.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service on examination service and as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.600) (Hire rate £90.7.0d/month). Outfitting on Tyne.
27.1.1940: Ty/Sk. C. Evans RNR appointed CO. Based Tyne with M/S Group 54.
1.1941: Based Granton with M/S Group 33.
18.1.1941: Ty/Sk. Alex Watson DSC RNR appointed CO.
5.4.1942: Lieut. J. Mathew Clark-Campbell RN appointed CO. Based Dundee with M/S Group 32.
20.10.1942: Ty/Lieut. P. S. Stevenson RNVR appointed CO.
9.11.1942: Sold to Mason Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
12.11.1942: Robert Houseman Bagshaw appointed manager.
1944: Based Stornoway.
21.11.1944: Off Tiree, picked up eight crew members of RAF Halifax – LL510 of 518 Squadron on Met duty from Tiree which ditched after engine problems on take off. Landed survivors at Tiree.
11.1945: Paid off.
11.12.1945: Returned to owner.
18.1.1946: Grimsby registry closed.
23.4.1946: Registered at Fleetwood (FD165).
9.11.1947: Responded to wireless call from steam trawler THOMAS ALTOFT (H132) stranded on rocks off Eilean Glas, Harris. With great seamanship, Sk. Kirby took his vessel between the rocks five times and by 3.00am. all fifteen crew taken off.
29.12.1950: Fishing about 15 miles SW of Barra, at about 1330 observed RAF Halifax – ST798 of 202 Squadron, Aldergrove (Sqd Ldr. Terence R. Cox) crash in sea. Hauled and steamed to area, some wreckage found but no survivors.
15.1.1951: Body of Sqd Ldr. Cox, and aircraft wreckage, recovered by Milford motor trawler MILFORD COUNTESS (M128) (Sk. J. R. Clark) whilst fishing 20 miles W of Castlebay, Barra. Landed body and wreckage at Tobermoray, Mull.
2/3.3.1957: Attempted to refloat SETHON (FD166) (Sk. J.E. Mitchinson) stranded on Black Rock, Sound of Islay. First attempt tow parted and subsequent attempt aborted when tide failed to make as predicted.
7.11.1959: Sold to BISCO and allocated to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Troon for breaking up.
16.11.1959: Sailed Fleetwood for Troon.
17.11.1959: Delivered Troon Harbour (draughts 6’3”/14’6”).
11.1.1960: Breaking commenced.
19.2.1960: Beached (draughts 6’8”/10’6”).
19.5.1960: Breaking completed.
1960: Fleetwood registry closed.
Click to enlarge image