Official Number: 160890
Yard Number: 539
Gross Tonnage: 363
Net Tonnage: 162
Length: 140.3 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Engine: 96hp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed: 11 knots
(In 1935 the Hull trawler LEONIDAS (162186) (H267) was lengthened by Smiths Dock Co. Ltd. The work involved creating an improved hull form with new bow and stern sections. The design was successful, not only providing increased fish room capacity, but also, as was expected, reducing coal consumption and giving a slightly higher free running speed. Other owners stemmed vessels at Middlesbrough for similar work to be undertaken).
27.09.1929: The board of Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd decided to build two distant water trawlers to a design submitted by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd.
18.12.1929: Contracts signed with the shipyard to build the ships at a cost of £14,975 each, this included Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd price to make the engine and boiler. (Charles D. Holmes had become major shareholders in Cook, Welton & Gemmell so separate contracts involving the two companies were discontinued).
The names chosen were KINGSTON OLIVINE and KINFSTON CORAL. In the tender the shipyard included the option to build additional vessels to this design at the same price. This option was exercised and an additional vessel was ordered and named KINGSTON CYANITE (Yd.No.541).
Total cost with amendments, fishing gear and other equipment £16,604.18s 7d
15.3.1930: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.539) for Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as KINGSTON OLIVINE (named by Mrs Whitley, wife of skipper).
5.4.1930: Registered at Hull (H209).
10.4.1930: Completed (John W. Lown, manager).
1.24.1930: Sailed on first trip to Iceland (Sk. Whitley).
30.4.1930: Landed 1294 kits grossed £1397.
19.8.1936: Stemmed at Middlesbrough for lengthening.
25.8.1936: Sailed Hull for Middlesbrough.
11.1936: Completed lengthening by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough to 151.2 feet (including fitting new bow and stern sections). Re-measured 379g 146n. Cost £4,000.
10.11.1936: Arrived Hull after lengthening.
11.11.1936: Re-registered (H209) after lengthening and tonnage change.
25.7.1939: Insured value £16,500.
28.7.1939: Last landing at Hull prior to inspection by The Admiralty with a view to purchase.
8.8.1939: Completed trials.
8.8.1939: Sold to The Admiralty (£18,081) and directed to Blyth for conversion by Blyth Drydocks & Shipbuilding Co Ltd.
30.8.1939: Payment received.
11.1939: Fitted out as an anti-submarine trawler (1 – 4”, 3 – 20mm AA, 1 – .50 cal MG & 1 – Holman Projector AA)(P.No.FY.193).
15.11.1939: Hull registry closed.
5/6.1940: At Dunkirk evacuation (Operation Dynamo).
7.1940: Based Harwich with A/S Group 19 (Lt G. W. Gregorie RNR), patrol & escort duties.
7.1940: At Barry repairing.
7.1941: At Harwich (Actg Ty Lt Cdr E G Donald RNVR).
7.1942: Fitted out to a minesweeper.
6.1945: At North Woolwich for reconditioning by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Woolwich. Offered to Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd but after
inspection declined as extent of work too costly. Removed from Admiralty Deal list and laid up C&M.
7.1947: Sold to Swansea Trawlers Ltd, Swansea. Restored and reclassed at Appledore.
18.9.1947: Registered at Swansea as LANGLAND BAY (SA72) (K. H. Reynolds DFC, manager). Fishing from Hull (Eton Fishing Co Ltd, Hull, trip managers/agents).
26.5.1950: Hudson Brothers Trawlers. Ltd, Hull appointed trip managers/agents.
1.1.1953: Transferred to Milford (Milford Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Milford Haven, trip managers/agents).
20.12.1953: Last landing at Milford. Laid up.
6.1954: Sold to Mason Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Robert. H. Bagshaw, manager).
24.6.1954: Sailed Milford for Fleetwood.
9.1954: Registered at Fleetwood as MASONA (FD16).
1956: Sold to Rinovia Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Joseph R. Cobley, Healing, manager). Remained at Fleetwood.
1956: Sold to BISCO and allocated to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Troon for breaking up.
2.11.1956: Delivered Troon from Fleetwood under own power (draughts 5’0”/15’6”).
11.12.1956: Breaking commenced.
6.2.1957: Beached (5’6”/8’6”).
7.5.1957: Breaking completed. Fleetwood registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
28/01/2009: Page published. 6 updates since then.
28/08/2017: Removed FMHT watermark and disputed image. Added a further image.
18/03/2018: Added an image.
12/06/2021: Updated history and added an image.