Official Number: 129236
Yard Number: 180
Gross Tonnage: 212.83
Net Tonnage: 78
Length: 111.4 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
5.6.1909: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.180) for Hellyer’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as YORICK.
12.8.1909: Registered at Hull (H49). Charles Hellyer appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 87.23 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
27.11.1919: Sold to Hull Northern Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. William R. Nowell appointed manager.
3.1.1930: Sold to Hellyer Bros. Ltd, Hull. Frank O. Hellyer & Owen S. Hellyer appointed managers.
1931: Sold to Jenkerson & Jones, Milford Haven. T. Jenkerson designated managing owner.
1932: Sold to Hellyer Bros. Ltd, Hull. Frank O. Hellyer & Owen S. Hellyer appointed managers.
14.11.1935: Sold to Alexander Hay, Aberdeen.
19.11.1935: Hull registry closed.
21.11.1935: Registered at Aberdeen (A382). Alexander Hay designated managing owner.
2.1941: Sold to Hellyer Bros. Ltd, Hull.
24.2.1941: Aberdeen registry closed.
2.1941: Registered at Hull (H410). Owen Stooks Hellyer appointed manager.
3.7.1944: Sold to Ocean Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. William Leslie Barkworth appointed manager.
27.6.1945: Sold to Eton Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby. George Gillard appointed manager
5.2.1946: Sold to Odafoam Ltd, Liverpool. William Stevenson, St. Anne’s-on-the-Sea appointed manager.
12.1946: Sold to Grateful Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen.
1.1947: Hull registry closed.
4.1.1947: Registered at Aberdeen (A247).
1955: Sold to BISCO for £2,525 and allocated to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd for breaking up at Charlestown, Fife (Contract No.86D).
2.8.1955: Delivered Charlestown from Aberdeen under own power.
8.1955: Breaking up commenced.
9.2.1956: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel broken up”.
Click to enlarge images
29/11/2016: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall and Bill Blow
Official Number: 123368
Yard Number: 291
Gross Tonnage: 240
Net Tonnage: 62
Length: 120.6 ft
Breadth: 22.9 ft
Depth: 13.2 ft
Built: John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by J. Abernethy & Co, Aberdeen
23.5.1906: Launched by John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.291) for The Walker Steam Trawl Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen as STAR of LIBERTY.
30.10.1906: Registered at Aberdeen (A88). Andrew walker appointed manager.
11.5.1908: Arrived Aberdeen from an Icelandic trip reporting boat lost when howmewards due to stress of weather.
7.5.1912: Aberdeen registry closed. To fish in South African waters.
14.10.1912: Laid up in Victoria Dock, Aberdeen and advertised for sale in ‘Aberdeen Journal’ Interest shown by the French Government and sale to French nationals confirmed.
19??: Remeasured 241g 53n.
1912: Sold to Soc. Anon. des Pêcheries de Biarritz, Biarritz. Renamed GRAZIELLA.
1915: Sold to Rene Pettit, Dieppe. Registered at Dieppe (D-1659).
By 1925: Sold to Brunet & Ledoux, Boulogne.
1927: Sold to Brunet & Co, Boulogne. Dieppe registry closed. Registered at Boulogne (B-??).
1928: Sold to Stephen Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen.
1928: Remeasured 226.50g 98.34n.
6.9.1928: Registered at Aberdeen as GRAZIELLA (A368) (Minute M/RG1352/28 dated 20.8.28).
2.12.1928: Registered at Aberdeen as JANE STEPHEN (A368). Thomas Stephen appointed manager.
8.1933: Sold to William Wray, Hartlepool.
8.9.1933: Aberdeen registry closed.
9.1933: Registered at Hartlepool (HL61).
9.10.1933: Registered at Hartlepool as EILEEN WRAY (HL61). William Wray designated managing owner.
7.2.1934: Homeward from fishing grounds (Sk. Ben Trueman), when some 200 miles from Hartlepool ran into very heavy weather and NW gale; boat lost, wheelhouse window stove in and some deckpound boards washed away.
9.2.1934: Arrived Hartlepool.
14.3.1935: Landed a Royal sturgeon – 3 stone and 5ft in length.
6/7.1936: Landed at Fleetwood (The Hewett Fishing Co Ltd agents)
17.12.1939: Off Hartlepool badly damaged by German aircraft, towed into Hartlepool but later foundered; no casualties.
12.1939: Salved, repaired and returned to service.
14.11.1940: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. Basil Arthur Parkes, Cleveleys appointed manager.
1942: Sold to Hellyer Brothers Ltd, Hull.
12.1942: Hartlepool registry closed.
18.12.1942: Registered at Hull (H8).
10.1945: Sold to Humber Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
10.1945: Hull registry closed.
19.10.1945: Registered at Grimsby (GY108).
19.10.1945: Joseph Reynolds Cobley appointed manager.
3.11.1945: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (A).
13.7.1951: Mortgage (A) discharged.
1952: Sold for breaking up.
23.5.1952: Grimsby registry closed. “ Ship broken up ”.
Click to enlarge image
06/05/2016: Page published.
06/10/2016: Information updated.
Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham and Jan Harteveld
Official Number: 99575
Yard Number: 90
Gross Tonnage: 132.72
Net Tonnage: 54
Length: 95.6 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 10.8 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Hull
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes, Hull
1892: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Hull (Yd.No.90) for Hull Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as MELBOURNE.
23.6.1892: Registered at Hull (H200). Henry Toozes appointed manager.
1.1913: Bloomfields Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth joined the Russian fishing syndicate, The Russian Northern Maritime Industries, the object of which was “Fishing, trading in fish and the exploitation of the riches of the sea of any kind whatever under the Russian flag’.
31.3.1912: Sold to W. A. Massey & Son Ltd, Hull, shipbrokers.
4.1913: Sold to Bloomfields Ltd, Gt Yarmouth on behalf of the syndicate for the sum of £875. Refurbished and outfitted for drift netting at a cost of £800.
2.5.1913: Hull registry closed. Registered at Archangel as PECHA (sometimes recorded as PESHA). Charles Jourieff Spahde, St. Petersburg appointed manager.
5.1913: Sailed Gt Yarmouth for Archangel (Sk.William James Empson Green); six hands all told.
5.1913: Arrived Archangel, coaled and took onboard a number of Russian fishermen.
13.6.1913: Sailed Archangel for fishing grounds. No fish found and returned to Archangel.
20.6.1913: Sailed Archangel for Barents Sea; fished but still without success.
27.6.1912: As previously agreed moved to Shetland waters and engaged with other drifters in the seasonal herring fishery.
9.1913: Arrived back in Yarmouth, Russian fishermen returned home.
10.1913: Bloomfields assumed sole ownership (64/64).
10.1913: Remeasured 126g 57n.
21.10.1913: Registered at Yarmouth as OCEAN COMRADE (YH405). James Bloomfield appointed manager. Engaged in the ‘Home Fishing’.
3.1914: Bloomfields informed the Russians that they would take sole ownership of the steam drifter (see 10.1913).
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper but fitted out as support for A/S net drifters (Ad.No.160).
2.1.1915: Sailed Lowestoft for Dover in company with HM drifters NINE SISTERS (Ad.No.157) (LT608), SEDULOUS (Ad.No.158) (YH2) and YOUNG FISHERMAN (Ad.No.159) (LT141).
1.3.1918: Sold to William Masson (24/64), Andrew Lewis (20/64), T. Christie (20/64), all Aberdeen. Andrew Lewis designated managing owner.
3.1918: Returned to owner. Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
18.12.1918: William Masson shares (10/64) sold to R. Masson (10/64), Aberdeen.
1.1.1919: William Masson shares (14/64) sold to I. Masson (6/64), J.Masson (6/64), T. Masson (2/64).
2.6.1928: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Maatschappij “Beka”, IJmuiden (Broertjes en Knechtjens).
3.6.1928: Yarmouth registry closed.
6.1928: Registered at IJmuiden as BEKA (IJM78).
2.7.1929: Sailed IJmuiden for fishing grounds (Sk. A. Groen).
4.6.1929: Towing at about 2 knots about 22n miles NNW of Norderney Light vessel. At 22.30 experienced a light shock and thinking trawl had come fast stopped engine; on port side was German auxiliary motor fishing vessel ELLA (HF-284) using a light to ascertain name and number of BEKA which was damaged on port bow. Hailed and Germans confirmed they were not in any danger but needed to retrieve their gear
which was entangled with that of BEKA. About half an hour later gear was cleared and winch was heard recovering lines and on completion sailed away in ESE direction, lights partly obscured by sails. BEKA resumed fishing. ELLA subsequently foundered, her skipper claiming that BEKA had switched off all her lights and disappeared in the darkness offering no assistance. This was denied by skipper and crew of
1.10.1930: Company declared bankrupt.
31.1.1931(regd): Sold to Cols Durrant (64/64), Lowestoft.
31.1.1931: Registered at Lowestoft as OCEAN COMRADE (LT244).
2.2.1931: Sold to William Barnard (64/64), Lowestoft. William Barnard designated managing owner.
1936: White fish trawling from Fleetwood (Hewett Steam Fishing Co Ltd agents).
4.1937: Sold to German principals for breaking up. Seized by German Authorities whilst fishing.
26.4.1937: Lowestoft registry closed.
30.4.1937: Certificate returned by British Consul General, Hamburg
30/04/2016: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and Barry Banham
Official Number: 104196
Yard Number: 122
Gross Tonnage: 129.59
Net Tonnage: 46.93
Length: 93.6 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Built: Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley
Engine: 450ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co, Hull
12.2.1895: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley (Yd.No.122) for The Anchor Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as MONARCH.
13.3.1895: Registered at Grimsby (GY748).
13.3.1895: William Somerville Letten appointed manager.
15.3.1899: Sold to Stephen Williamson (64/64), Liverpool.
17.3.1899: Request to transfer registry to Aberdeen.
20.3.1899: Grimsby registry closed.
30.3.1899: Registered at Aberdeen (A35). Michael Doig appointed manager.
1906: Sold to Thomas Davidson (64/64), Aberdeen.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 53.96 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve. Renamed MONARCH IV.
1919: Released and reverted to MONARCH (A35).
6.2.1929: Sold George Allan Breach (21/64), Louisa Breach (21/64) and William Hutchings (22/64), Lowestoft.
4.2.1929: Aberdeen registry closed.
6.2.1929: Registered at Lowestoft (LT14). William Hutchings designated managing owner.
1935: Fishing from Fleetwood. (Jack Breach Ltd managing agents).
12.12.1935: Sold to Louisa Breach (43/64) & George Allan Breach (21/64), Lowestoft. John Victor Breach appointed manager.
9.1938: Sold to Belgium for breaking up.
8.10.1938: Lowestoft registry closed. “Vessel broken up … “
Click to enlarge image
18/04/2016: Page published.
19/05/2016: Information updated.
Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall
Official Number: 137154
Yard Number: 405
Gross Tonnage: 215.74
Net Tonnage: 83.07
Length: 115.0 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Built: The John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood Ltd, Coatbridge, Glasgow
1914: Launched by The John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.405) for The National Steam Fishing Co (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen as LEUKOS.
27.8.1914: Registered at Aberdeen (A102). James Scott Jnr appointed manager.
12.12.1914: Arrived Aberdeen (Sk. George Robertson) with body of a naval officer picked up at sea to the NE of Aberdeen. Body believed to be an officer belonging to HMS HAWKE (Capt. Hugh P. E. T. Williams RN) torpedoed off Peterhead by U-boat (U.9) on
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (Ad.No.N.I.). Based Scapa, Orkney.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Aberdeen.
27.1.1920: Sold to Arthur Reginald Tucker & James Cornelius Tippet, Cardiff. James Cornelius Tippet appointed manager.
2.4.1920: Sold to Tucker, Tippet & Co Ltd, Cardiff. James Cornelius Tippet appointed manager.
1922: Fishing from Milford. Harry E. East managing agent.
27.2.1927: Sailed Milford for the fishing grounds (Sk. Edward Major). Owing to weather outside came to anchor off Popton Point.
28.2.1927: At about 10.00am. observed trawler THOMAS BARTLETT (LO373) coming in from sea and anchored close by, the wind was south west to west blowing a strong gale. The bosun, Charles Richard Johnson was on anchor watch, and reported to the skipper that the THOMAS BARTLETT was dragging and when some 20 to 30 yards away it appeared she would drive across the bows. The whistle was sounded and the THOMAS BARTLETT eased her cable and started to come astern but did not clear, hitting the stem with the port side, the head coming round to starboard and the THOMAS BARTLETT dropped down along side on the starboard side. No damage to the stem was apparent.
28.2.1927: Sailed for the fishing grounds but found water ingress in way of the stem, temporary repair carried out by Ch Eng. and continued on voyage.
1.6.1927: Last landing at Milford.
18.6.1927: Sold to Dublin Trawling, Ice and Cold Storage Co Ltd, Dublin.
24.6.1927: Aberdeen registry closed.
6.1927: Registered at Dublin (D86). Patrick Fannon appointed manager. Occasional landings at Fleetwood.
Mid 2.1940: Last landing at Fleetwood.
29.2.1940: Sailed Dublin for the fishing grounds via Troon to coal (Sk. James Potter Thomasson); eleven hands all told. The ship had the Irish tricolour painted on her hull clearly indicating a vessel from a neutral country; fitted with wireless.
1.3.1940: Sailed Troon for the ‘the bank’ off Tory Island.
9.3.1940: In forenoon spoke to two other trawlers of the same company in Donegal Bay, confirmed a good catch and ETA Dublin 12.3.1940.
9.3.1940: A group of Fleetwood trawlers fishing 12 miles NW of Tory Island, Co. Donegal, ALVIS (H52); FLYING ADMIRAL (H66); JOHN MORRICE (A786); PELAGOS (GN55) and SEDOCK (GY123) and reported with the Irish trawler LEUKOS (D86) also in the vicinity. At 2003 (Wilhelshaven time) a U-boat (U.38) surfaced having observed through periscope and listening device the group of trawlers. On the surface noticed that all had their lights on and were apparently forming a guarding line on a N-S course. In his log the CO. Kptlt. Heinrich Liebe wrote “I decided to administer a warning to one of them with the gun.” At 2113, and within about 200 metres of the target, fired a single round at a ship, hitting her in the engine room; the U-boat withdrew staying on the surface about one hour until ship foundered. No attempt was made by the U-boat to identify the vessel or search for survivors. None of the five trawlers in the vicinity closed to investigate, if in fact they were aware of the incident. Although no conclusive evidence confirms, the ship probably was the LEUKOS; all eleven crew lost*.
16.3.1940: Owners expressed fears for the safety of the vessel.
21.3.1940: Lifeboat containing a lifebuoy bearing the name ‘S.T. LEUKOS’ washed up at Scarinish, Tiree, Inner Hebrides.
26.3.1940: Posted missing.
1940: Dublin registry closed.
(Lost* – Sk. James P. Thomasson (29) married, Milton Street, Fleetwood & 63 Lower Mount Street, Dublin; James Donnelly (42) married, North Albert Street, Fleetwood, Mate; P. J. O’Scanlon, 5 Douglas Road, Cleethorpes, Bosun; Alec McLeod (50) single, Wyre Street, Fleetwood and 53 Kenneth Street, Stornoway, Ch Eng; Bernard Smith (23), 10 Boyne Street, Dublin, 2nd Eng; Thomas Mulligan single, The Mission, Fleetwood & Catholic Seamens Institute, Dublin & Anthony Pill (18) single, The Mission, Fleetwood & Catholic Seamens Institute, Dublin, deckhands; Michael Cullen (17) single, 29 Boyne Street, Dublin, fireman; Patricio McCarthy (42) single, 40 Carlton Street, Marino, Dublin, cook; James Hawkins (17) single, 69 Park Road, Ringsend, Dublin & Fleetwood and Robert Sumler (16) single, 63 Lower Mount Street, Dublin & Milton Street, Fleetwood (brother-in-law of the skipper), apprentices )
Click to enlarge image
08/02/2016: Page published.