Wartime visitor
Additional information courtesy of Maurice Voss

Technical

Official Number: ????
Yard Number: 989
Completed: 1926
Gross Tonnage: 338
Net Tonnage: 137
Length: 138.8 ft
Breadth: 23.8 ft
Depth: 13.3 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

18.11.1925: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.989) for Pickering & Haldane’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as LORD WEIR.
28.1.1926: Registered at Hull (280).
28.1.1926: Completed (John McCann & Edward Cartwright, joint managers).
1929: Albert Turgoose & James Clark, appointed joint managers).
1938: Re measured 42,16 x 7,23 metres – 324.40Bgrt 112.64n.
7.1938: Sold to Pêcheries à Vapeur S.A., Ostend (John Bauwens, manager).
16.7.1938: Hull registry closed.
21.7.1938: Arrived at Ostend in company with LORD MOUNTBATTEN (H225 (GRAAF VAN VLAARDEREN (O92)).
27.7.1938: Registered at Ostend as PRINCE de LIÈGE (O83).
5.1940: Escaped to England with refugees.
6.1940: Transferred to Belgian Economic Mission, London. Fishing from Fleetwood.
23.9.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (P.No.Z.172).
12.1945: Returned to owner.
9.1946: At Antwerp rebuilt by Guthrie & Hursch with new bow section 148.2 feet – 375.36Bgrt 137n
T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull.
18.9.1946: Returned to service after rebuild and Special Survey.
1951: Sailed for Hemiksem for conversion to a motor trawler.
1951: Re engined by St. Pieterswerf, Hemiksem with 4 stroke 6-cyl Carels oil engine 755bhp by Société d’Electricité et de Mécaniques, Ghent (Engine No.9663). Re measured 391.89 Bgrt 159.82n.
20.12.1951: Returned to service.
22.12.1962: Outward for Icelandic grounds. Stranded on Corn Holm Rock, Copinsay, Orkney in approx. position 58 54N 02 41.7W. Abandoned by crew and subsequently declared a Total Loss. Ostend registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Prince de Liège O83

S.T. Prince de Liège O83
Picture courtesy of Emiel Ryck

M.T. Prince De Liege O83

M.T. Prince De Liege O83
Picture courtesy of Jonleif

M.T. Prince de Liège O83

S.T. Prince de Liège O83
Picture courtesy of Emiel Ryck

Changelog
29/07/2013: Page published. 5 updates since then.
26/10/2015: Added 2 pictures.

Read / Leave a Comment

Information courtesy of Jan Harteveld and Maurice Voss

Technical

Official Number: Unknown
Yard Number: 232
Completed: 1905
Gross Tonnage: 189
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 35,38m (116.1 ft)
Breadth: 7,70m (22.0 ft)
Depth: 3,50m (11.5 ft)
Built: G. Seebeck A.G., Geestmünde
Engine: T-3-cyl by G. Seebeck A.G., Geestmünde

History

1905: Launched by G. Seebeck A.G., Geestmünde (Yd.No.232) for Hochsee Fischdampfer GmbH, Hamburg as GUSTAV PLATZMANN.
1905: registered at Hamburg (HH23).
1908: Registered at Hamburg as SEENEIKE (HH23).
1908: Sold to Hochseefischerei A.G., Cuxhaven. Hamburg registry closed. Registered at Cuxhaven as SENATOR O’SWALD (HC6).
1914-1918: Requisitioned by the Imperial German Navy.
10.1918: Abandoned at Zeebruges during the German evacuation. Taken over by the Belgian State (Administration de la Marine), Brussels. Cuxhaven registry closed. Registered at Antwerp as YSER.
1920: Converted to a pilot boat and registered at Antwerp as LOODSBOOT 3.
1933: Sold to Gebroeders Taat, Katwijk, Holland. Renamed ANTWERP 3 and laid up at IJmuiden.
2.1942: Vessel made ready for fishing. Registered at Katwijk as KATWIJK II (KW134).
8.4.1942: At sea eleven crew, vessel taken over by a resistance group – eight men, and skipper forced to set course for England. On arrival directed to Fleetwood.
1940s: Fishing from Fleetwood (Bloomfields Ltd managing agents).
8.1945: Returned to Holland and fishing.
Late 1949: Laid up.
1951: Sold to Frans Rijsdrik, Hendrik Ido Ambacht for breaking up. Katwijk registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Katwijk II KW134

S.T. Loodsboot 3
Picture courtesy of Maurice Voss

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall and Jan Harteveld.

Technical

Official Number: 108585
Yard Number: 28
Completed: 1898
Gross Tonnage: 182 (As built 168)
net Tonnage: 68 (As built 93)
Length: 109.0 ft
Breadth: 21.1 ft
Depth: 10.4 ft
Built: Cumming & Ellis, Inverkeithing
Engine: 300ihp T.3-cyl by MacColl & Pollock Ltd, Sunderland

History

23.3.1898: Launched by Cumming & Ellis, Inverkeithing (Yd.No.28) for Muirhead’s Trawlers Ltd, Edinburgh as MOUNT CENIS.
4.6.1898: Trials in Firth of Forth. Attained speed of 11 knots.
6.1898: Completed. James Muirhead designated manager. Registered at Granton (Part I & IV) O.N.108585 (GN51)(5/1898).
19.10.1903: Alongside West Pier, Granton at low tide. Sk. William Jarvis and a Customs Officer rescued an engineer who had slipped from a ladder and fallen between the vessel and the pier. Taken to Leith Hospital with cut on his head.
Pre 1904: William G. Muirhead designated manager.
25.1.1904: Company to go into liquidation.
9.2.1904: At Cupar Sherrif’s Court, Sk. William Jarvis was fined £80 and fishing gear forfeited or 60 days imprisonment for illegal trawling inside the three mile limit in the Firth of Forth.
14.3.1904: Disabled with machinery problem 25 miles E of May Island. Liverpool steam trawler JABOO (LL358) connected and delivered Granton.
2.4.1904: In the afternoon at the height of a gale a small boat from the Russian schooner CECILIA was blown out into the Forth. A boat from the German schooner JOHANNES (101grt/1896) put out immediately and succeeded in overtaking the first boat, transferred two man and both proceeded to pull back to Granton. However, with the gale increasing both were driven seawards. Seeing the danger MOUNT CENIS slipped and proceeded to sea to recover the two boats. Approached the boats and wth great difficulty took hold of them and brought safely to Granton.
3.5.1904: Along with MOUNT BLANC (GN56); MOUNT ROSA (GN55); MOUNT VISO (GN56) and SIMPLON (GN59) mortgaged to Joseph Constant (Shipbrokers) Ltd, London. Taken over in default of mortgage and offered for sale.
2.11.1904: Muirhead’s Trawlers Ltd in voluntary liquidation.
1.1905: Sold to Newhaven Trawlers Ltd, Edinburgh.
25.1.1905: Registered at Granton as ALERT (GN52). Edward Walker, Newhaven designated manager.
26.1.1908: Arrested at 5.15pm. off May Island, Firth of Forth by Fishery cruiser BRENDA (174grt/1898) (Capt George C. Mackenzie) allegedly fishing within a prohibited area. At Cupar Sheriff Court Sk. Albert Norris failed to appear on the charges; evidence given in his absence that he was working the starboard trawl in a position some 2.5 miles 67° west of May Island. When approached by the Fishery cruiser no one was observed onboard and had to the summoned by the whistle. On boarding by the Second Officer, Thomas Guthrie, Sk. Norris laughed and took it as a joke; he thought that the BRENDA had gone to the Moray Firth. Having two previous convictions, the last one in March 1904, the Sheriff found the case proven and Norris £100 or alternatively sixty days imprisonment; trawl and gear confiscated.
9.6.1909: Advertised in Lloyd’s List “Under Owners’ instructions” by Thomas McLaren & Co, Glasgow, the High class Modern steam trawlers, HEATHER (GW6) and BLUEBELL (GW5). Also NETTLE (GW11) and GOWAN (GW9) along with ACTIVE (GN51) and ALERT (GN52).
21.06.1909: At Lerwick Sheriff Court Shetland, Skipper Hugh Robertson was fined £100 or alternatively sixty days imprisonment for illegally trawling near Fair Isle.
1909: Sold to Stoomtrawler-Visscherij Mij. “Holland I-IV”, IJmuiden. S. A. Bakker,designated manager. Granton registry closed. Registered at IJmuiden as OTOÑO (IJM155).
1910: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Mij. “Pesca”, IJmuiden. S. A. Bakker later P. Dijksen designated manager.
1923: Sold to N.V. Nationale Stoomvisscherij, IJmuiden. I. S. Groen designated manager. Registered at IJmuiden as ALBERT GROEN (IJM155).
1928: Sold to Stoomvisscherij Mij. “Die Scelvisch”, IJmuiden. G. de Rooy & L. S. J. Reijersberg designated managers. Registered at IJmuiden as AVILA (IJM155).
1934: Sold to N.V. Nationale Stoomvisscherij, IJmuiden. Donald J. Groen designated manager. Registered at IJmuiden as LEENTJE ELIZABETH (IJM155).
1938: Briefly registered at IJmuiden as PRINSES BEATRIX (IJM155). Reverted to LEENTJE ELIZABETH (IJM155) when name taken by PRINSES BEATRIX (IJM117) q.v.
1939: Sold to Stoomvisscherij Mij. “Hornrif”, IJmuiden. Donald J. Groen designated manager. Registered at IJmuiden as HORNRIF (IJM155).
1940: Escaped to England and fishing out of Fleetwood.
27.4.1943: Typical wartime landing, Home Waters. 405 kits – hake-230, cod/codling-20, flats-15, ling/coley-60, roker-50, gurnard-30.
1945: Returned to Holland.
1954: Laid up.
5.3.1957: Sold for breaking up. IJmuiden registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Hornrif IJM155

S.T. Hornrif IJM155
Picture courtesy of The Jan Harteveld Collection

Changelog

29/04/2013: Page published. 3 updates since then.
25/10/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image and updated information.

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of Jan Harteveld

Official Number: Unknown
Yard Number: 311
Completed: 1911
Gross Tonnage: 195
Net Tonnage: 63 (As built: 71)
Length: 35,87m (117.7 ft)
Breadth: 6,83m (22.4 ft)
Depth: 2,89m (9.5 ft)
Engine: T.3-cyl by G. Seebeck Akt. Ges.,
Built: G. Seebeck Akt. Ges., Wesermünde, GermanyBremerhaven, Germany

1911: Launched by G. Seebeck Akt. Ges., Wesermünde, Germany (Yd.No.311) for Cuxhavener Hochseefischerei Akt. Ges., Cuxhaven as BÜRGERMEISTER BURCHARD.
1911: Completed. Registered at Cuxhaven (HC-29).
1928: Sold to Hochseefischerei Rhein-Ruhr, Emden. Cuxhaven registry closed. Registered at Emden as LAHN (AE-122).
1929: Sold to N.V. Stoomvisscherij Mij. “Hilda”, IJmuiden. Emden registry closed. Registered at IJmuiden as DONALD (IJM117).
1934: Registered at IJmuiden as EENDRACHT (IJM117).
1938: Registered at IJmuiden as PRINSES BEATRIX (IJM117).
1940: Escaped to England.
1940s: Fishing from Fleetwood (Bloomfield’s Ltd, managing agents), Home waters/Icelandic grounds.
1945: Sold to Stoomvisscherij Mij. “Mercurius”, IJmuiden (I. S. Groen, manager).
1954: Laid up.
5.3.1957: Sold for breaking up. IJmuiden registry closed.

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of Jan Harteveld

Official Number: Unknown
Yard Number: 205
Completed: 1900
Gross Tonnage: 208
Net Tonnage: 76
Length: 120.9 ft
Breadth: 21.1 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Hull

1900: Launched by Bonn & Mees, Rotterdam (Yd.No.205) for Stoomvisscherij Mij. “Mercurius”, IJmuiden as EVELINE.
4.1900: Completed (I. S. Groen, manager). Registered at IJmuiden (IJM15).
1922: New boiler fitted.
10.1928: Sold to Visscherij Mij. “Cornelis Bart”, IJmuiden (C. Stam, manager). Registered at IJmuiden as CORNELIS (IJM15).
1934: P. Koopman & E. van der Plas appointed managers.
1940: Escaped to England.
1940s: Fishing from Fleetwood (Bloomfield’s Ltd, managing agents).
20.7.1945: Arrived back in IJmuiden.
1951: Sold to shipbreakers.
17.8.1951: Sailed IJmuiden for shipbreakers. IJmuiden registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

 S.T. Cornelis IJM15

S.T. Cornelis IJM15
Picture courtesy of Jan Harteveld

 S.T. Cornelis IJM15

S.T. Cornelis IJM15
Picture courtesy of Jan Harteveld

 S.T. Cornelis IJM15

S.T. Cornelis IJM15
Picture courtesy of Jan Harteveld

 S.T. Cornelis IJM15

S.T. Cornelis IJM15
Picture courtesy of Jan Harteveld

Read / Leave a Comment