Technical

Official Number: 127572
Yard Number: 446
Completed: 1908
Gross Tonnage: 270
Net Tonnage: 102
Length: 130 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

24.10.1908: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.446) for The Mount Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood as SCOMBER.
3.3.1909: Registered at Fleetwood (FD90).
6.3.1909: Completed (George E. J. Moody, Grimsby, manager).
1914: Sold to Galiana y del Valles Trillo S en C, Barcelona.
15.5.1914: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Barcelona.
1918: Sold to Government of France, Paris (Transports Maritimes et Marine Marchande). Renamed ANNIBAL.
1922: Sold to Victor Basquet, La Rochelle. Registered at La Rochelle as NEPTUNE I (LR.2534).
1934: Sold to “Sorima” Soc. Ricuperi Marittimi, Genoa. Registered at Genoa as RAMPINO. (converted to a salvage vessel).
1934: Fitted out to a salvage ship – 301g 112n.
1.1942: War loss.
1943: Salved and sold for breaking up.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Scomber FD90

S.T. Scomber FD90
Picture © John Clarkson

S.T. Scomber FD90

S.T. Scomber FD90
Picture courtesy of Stephen Bird

Read / Leave a Comment

Note: First British trawler lost in WWII

Technical

Official Number: 132409
Yard Number: 517
Completed: 1912
Gross Tonnage: 291
Net Tonnage: 116
Length: 130.0 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.5 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

6.1.1912: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.517) for The Mount Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood as DAVARA.
6.3.1912: Registered at Fleetwood (FD152).
14.3.1912: Completed (George E. J. Moody, Grimsby, manager).
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.523). Based Larne.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
8.6.1930: In Wyre Channel, one of 23 trawlers inbound, when a few hundred yards from lock pit found channel blocked by trawlers NELLIE BRADDOCK (FD175) and ERNA (FD158) aground on Tiger’s Tail. Swept by tide and also took the ground. Refloated on next tide and entered Wyre Dock.
193?: W. M. Kelly appointed manager.
12.9.1939: Sailed Fleetwood for fishing grounds (Sk. William Boyles).
13.9.1939: When in a position 21 miles NWby N of Tory Island, Co. Donegal, U-boat (U.27) closed and opened fire (at least 35 rounds); twelve crew escaped in damaged boat. Trawler sunk at 2.55 p.m. by gunfire and after five hours in boat constantly baling, crew picked up by the West Hartlepool steamer WILLOWPOOL (4815grt/1925) and landed safely.
19.9.1939: Fleetwood registry closed “Sunk by enemy submarine”.

(Crew (all Fleetwood unless stated) – Sk. William Boyles; G. T. Pugh, Mate; W. Spall, Bosun; A Scott, Ch Eng, Thornton; J. Higgins, 2nd Eng, Burn Naze; E. Prentice, D. G. Gall, C. S. Hunter & H. R. Wright, deckhands; R. O. Welch & J. Gregger, firemen; C. W. Sharpe, cook).

Note: In August 1939 with the prospect of conflict in the offing, several trawler owners on both the East and West Coast recalled their vessels and delayed the sailing of others. Once War was declared, however, and with markets suffering from a lack of supplies, many trawlers returned to sea thinking that on the West Coast at least, the War might be slow to get under way. They were not to know that many German U-boats were already moving into positions to the West of Ireland and outboard of the Western Isles – both areas favoured fishing grounds of the Fleetwood trawling fleet. On Tuesday 12 September 1939, the Mount Steam Fishing Co’s DAVARA (FD152) commanded by Skipper William Boyles and a crew of eleven, sailed from Fleetwood for the West of Scotland grounds. In the early afternoon of Wednesday 13 September she was in a position some 21 miles NNW of Tory Island, County Donegal when she was closed by the U-boat, U.27 which with the deck gun manned, commenced shelling the DAVARA. Despite damage Skipper Boyles managed to get the boat into the water and with all the crew onboard the trawler was abandoned. The shelling continued for about half an hour and thirty five rounds were counted, the DAVARA sinking at 14.55. The crew were in the boat for five hours constantly baling and rowing and were exhausted when picked up by by the West Hartlepool steamer WILLOWPOOL (4815grt/1925) and landed safely.

Click to enlarge picture

S.T. Davara FD152

S.T. Davara FD152
Picture courtesy of RossallBeach.com

S.T. Davara FD152

S.T. Davara FD152
Inboard of Meuse

Changelog
21/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
30/05/2016: Information updated.
01/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 132405
Yard Number: 479
Completed: 1911
Gross Tonnage: 288
Net Tonnage: 114
Length: 130.1 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.5
Engine: 90 hp T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons, Selby

History

4.3.1911: Launched by Cochrane & Sons, Selby (Yd.No.479) for The Mount Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood as PHRONTIS.
30.3.1911: Registered at Fleetwood (FD142). George E. J. Moody, Grimsby appointed manager.
4.1911: Completed.
10.9.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.520).
16.3.1918: In Loch Eriboll at 5.30 am. in collision with VULTURE II (Ad.No.310) (H470) which foundered. All crew saved and brought in to Long Hope Bay.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1926: Sir George E. J. Moody, Grimsby appointed manager.
1934: W. M. Kelly appointed manager.
13.10.1935: Sailed Fleetwood for West of Scotland grounds (Sk. E. Westhead).
19.10.1935: In heavy seas, Robert Turner (40), Mate and James Damerell (45), deckhand were washed overboard and drowned.
28.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an anti submarine trawler (P.No. 4.141) (Hire rate £72.0.0d/month). Based Liverpool.
1942: Belgian crew.
6.1943: Employed on miscellaneous naval duties (RN crew).
1.1946: Returned to owner (Will B. Moody, Grimsby, manager).
1955: Sold to Scrappingco S.r.l, Antwerp for breaking up.
18.10.1955: Arrived Boom for breaking.
1955: Fleetwood registry closed

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Phrontis FD142

S.T. Phrontis FD142
Picture courtesy of The Osta Collection

Changelog
19/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
04/05/2017: Removed disputed image.

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional material courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number 132091
Yard Number 474
Completed: 1910
Gross Tonnage 286
Net Tonnage 112
Length 125 ft
Breadth 23.5 ft
Depth 12.3 ft
Engine 550ihp T.3-cyland boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

7.9.1910: Launched by Cochrane & Sons, Selby (Yd.No.474) for Crown Steam Fishing Co Ltd (63/64), Grimsby as ALBERIA.
7.11.1910: Registered at Grimsby (GY588).
7.11.1910: Completed.
7.11.1910: George Edward James Moody appointed manager.
20.12.1910: Vessel mortgage (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
1913: Fishing from Fleetwood.
12.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1 – 12pdr and W/T) (Ad.No.768). Based Falmouth.
7.7.1918: On patrol off Lizard, struck by shells from an unknown source causing considerable damage. Returned to Falmouth. (Possibly shelled by US Submarine Chasers in the vicinity).
19.8.1918: Repairs completed.
7.9.1918: Mortgage (A) discharged.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
9.5.1921: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (B).
27.11.1923: Mortgagee restyled Midland Bank Ltd, London.
5.3.1934: Mortgage (B) discharged.
6.3.1934: Sold to George Edward James Moody, Harry Kelly & Will Bancroft Moody (64/64) joint owners), Grimsby.
6.3.1934: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (C).
12.3.1934: George Edward James Moody designated managing owner
23.4.1934: Mortgage (C) discharged.
24.4.1934: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
3.5.1934: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (D).
14.5.1934: Charles Henry Friswell appointed manager.
25.9.1934; Mortgage (D) discharged.
26.9.1934: Sold to The Alberic Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. (Charles H. Friswell, manager).
27.9.1934: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (E).
10.10.1934: Registered at Grimsby as ALBERIC (GY588) (BoT Minute M/R.G.No.1305/1934 dated 10.8.1934).
10.10.1934: Charles Henry Friswell appointed manager.
25.4.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.NA) (Hire rate £71.10.0d/month). Based North Shields with M/S Group 63.
2/3.5.1941: Sunk in an accidental collision with destroyer HMS St. ALBANS (P.No. I.15) in Pentland Firth (T/Lt R. M. Johnson RNVR); fourteen crew lost.
27.10.1942: Mortgage (E) discharged.
18.3.1947: Grimsby registry closed “Ship lost on Government service in May 1941”.

(MPK – Ty Sub Lieut. Charles S. Whitehead RNR; Edward G. Northing, 2nd Hand; Livingstone Izatt, Charles S. Merriman, Enginemen; Alexander Duncan, Ldg Seaman; Ralph Chesnutt, Michael Real, Charles R. Weston, Seamen; Cyril Jones, Seaman/Steward; John T. Taberham, Ord Seaman; Arthur Reay, Telegraphist; Albert W. H. Arthur, Ord Signalman; James C. Annand, Stoker; Thomas M. Murray, Stoker 2c.)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Alberia GY588

S.T. Alberia GY588
Picture courtesy of the JJ collection

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 127563
Yard Number: 430
Completed: 1908
Gross Tonnage: 270
Net Tonnage: 103
Length: 130.0 ft
Breadth: 23.0
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby, 1908

History

2.5.1908: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.430) for The Mount Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood as VIVO.
7.8.1908: George E. J. Moody, Grimsby appointed manager.
11.8.1908: Registered at Fleetwood (FD220).
11.8.1908: Completed.
25.3.1909: Mortgaged to The London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
21.8.1910: Homeward from St. Kilda grounds entered thick fog bank in North Channel, ran ashore 31/2 miles NW of Mull of Galloway; eleven crew and two trippers took to boat, picked up by steam trawler NEW CROWN (GY369) and landed at Drummore.
11.1910: Declared a Total loss and attended by Liverpool & Glasgow Salvage Association’s steam derrick barge LADY KATE (135grt/1881) and much equipment and material salvaged.
7.11.1910: Fleetwood registry closed “Wrecked”.

Note: The remains of VIVO are close inshore approximately 500 metres south of Port Mona.

Changelog
08/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then/

Read / Leave a Comment