Additional material courtesy of Bill Blow and Douglas Paterson
Official Number: 118915
Yard Number: 355
Gross Tonnage: 207
Net Tonnage: 81
Length: 113.8 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull
10.10.1903: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.355) for William Grant (32/64) & Henry Croft Baker (32/64), Cleethorpes as BRISBANE.
9.11.1903: Registered at Grimsby (GY1281).
9.11.1903: Henry Croft Baker 32 shares mortgaged to William Grant for the sum of £2000 with interest at 4% (A).
22.11.1903: William Grant appointed manager.
31.5.1907: Mortgaged (A) discharged.
29.2.1916: Henry Croft Baker 16 shares sold to Alick (Alec) Black, Grimsby.
29.2.1916: Henry Croft Baker 16 shares sold to John Cash Store, Grimsby.
25.2.1917: John Cash Store 16 shares & Alick Black 16 shares sold to Jonathan Smith & George Drust Beacock, Grimsby (32/64 joint owners).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve. Later fitted with 1-6pdr between funnel and wheelhouse and W/T.
20.6.1918: William Grant 32 shares sold to Arthur Grant, Grimsby.
5.1.1920: Arthur Grant 32 shares sold to Jonathan Smith & George Drust Beacock (64/64), Grimsby.
5.1.1920: Edwin Beacock appointed manager.
6.1.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (B).
15.1.1920: Sold to The Sylvia Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby.
16.1.1920: Edwin Beacock appointed manager.
18.2.1920: Mortgage (B) discharged.
19.2.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (C).
13.3.1922: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) (unsecured) to Thomas William Baskcomb, Grimsby (D).
30.8.1922: Sold by mortagee under mortgage (C) to Dobson Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
31.8.1922: Charles Dobson appointed manager.
12.9.1922: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London Joint City and Midland Bank Ltd, London (E).
27.11.1927: Bank re-styled Midland Bank Ltd, London.
3.2.1931: Mortgage (E) discharged.
25.2.1931: Sold to Charles Dobson (64/64), Grimsby.
27.2.1931: Charles Dobson appointed manager.
28.2.1931: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (F). 1940: Directed to Fleetwood under wartime controls (J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood, managers).
14.5.1941: Mortgage (F) discharged.
29.12.1941: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
31.12.1941: David Marr appointed manager.
1.3.1945: Sold to Great Grimsby & East Coast Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
8.3.1945: Arthur Wright Butt, appointed manager.
17.12.1946: In very heavy weather, assisted HELPING HAND (LT1239), disabled with broken propeller shaft and taking water. Connected and towed towards Lowestoft. About one mile from Newcome Buoy, requested lifeboat assistance. Hove to with Lowestoft lifeboat MICHAEL STEPHENS (Cox Albert Spurgeon) standing by.
18.12.1946: In the morning tug LOWESTOFT (172grt/1898) connected and at 5.00 a.m. brought into Lowestoft and beached.
22.5.1954: Sold to BISCO and allocated to J. W. Draper & Sons Ltd, Grimsby for breaking up.
12.6.1954: Grimsby registry closed “Vessel broken up”.
Click to enlarge images
Official Number: 180481
Yard Number: 762
Gross Tonnage: 524
Net Tonnage: 186
Length: 165.3 ft
Breadth: 27.7 ft
Depth: 14.4 ft
Engine: 800 IHP T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed: 12.2 knots
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
19.1.1946: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.762) for The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as BORELLA (H240).
26.3.1946: Completed (J. Marr & Son Ltd, managers). Contract price £72500.
29.3.1946: Sailed Hull for Iceland (Sk. Leo Romyn DSC).
17.4.1946: At Hull landed 2,267 kits grossed £6,445.
18.10.1946: Sailed Hull for Iceland last trip before sale (Sk. L. Romayne).
7.11.1946: At Hull landed 1,843 kits grossed £4,475.
23.12.1948: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood.(Frank Marr, manager).
10.5.1951: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager).
31.3.1953: Sailed Hull for Iceland last trip before sale (Sk. S. Outlaw).
18.4.1953: At Hull landed 1,174 kits grossed £2,377 (Hull fishing industry slump). Laid up.
2.7.1953: Sold to National Trawling & Fishing Co Ltd, Cape Town for £70000 (Sanctioned by MOT letter No. GSP 1/1/01001 dated 4.5.1953).
2.7.1953: Hull registry closed.
9.7.1953: Registered at Cape Town (CTA62).
20.7.1953: Sailed Hull for Cape Town.
20.8.1953: Arrived Cape Town.
Pre 1966: Company sold to Irvin & Johnson Ltd, Cape Town, who became managers.
1971: Stripped of all usable parts and non-ferrous metals.
1.3.1971: Scuttled at ‘Irvin Johnson’ artificial reef in False Bay by South African Navy.
Note: First South African trawler fitted with radar. The National Trawling & Fishing Co Ltd, Cape Town had close links with J Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood following visits by Leslie James Marr and Geoffrey Alan Marr who spent seven months working for them at Cape Town.
Click to enlarge image
Official Number: 185114
Yard Number: 861
Gross Tonnage: 790
Net Tonnage: 286
Length: 190.2 ft
Breadth: 30.1 ft
Depth: 15.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Fitted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
15.1.1952: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.861) for J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Hull, manager) as KIRKELLA (H209).
27.3.1952: Completed. Contract price £160033.
1955: Silver Cod Challenge Trophy winner – Sk. C. Taylor – 46589kits 339days/£129563.
23.6.1959: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Frank Marr, manager).
31.3.1963: Sold to Boyd Line Ltd, Hull for £108000. Renamed ARCTIC GALLIARD (H209).
27.6.1973: Renamed ARCTIC OUTLAW (H209).
1974: Sold to Albert Draper & Son Ltd, Hull for breaking up.
9.3.1974: Delivered to Victoria Dock Slipway.
Click to enlarge images
Admiralty Number: 4222
Official Number: 143834
Yard Number: 5
Gross Tonnage: 278
Net Tonnage: 121
Length: 125 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: 61HP T.3-cyl by Fraser & Chalmers Ltd, Erith
Built: Fletcher, Son & Fearnall Ltd, Limehouse, London
1918: Launched by Fletcher, Son & Fearnall Ltd, Limehouse (Yd.No.5) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as JAMES LAY (Ad.No.4222).
4.11.1918: Completed (1 -12pdr).
19.2.1920: Registered by The Admiralty as a fishing vessel at London (LO333) (O.N.143834).
1920: Sold to Sir William Beardmore, Bart, Glasgow (Charles Curzon, Milford Haven, manager).
1.1921: Sir William Beardmore, Bart was raised to the peerage in the New Year’s Honours List and became Lord Invernairn of Strathnairn (Charles Curzon, Milford Haven, manager). 24.9.1925: While fishing 50 miles W by S1/2 S from St. Ann’s Head and working round a dahn, struck by THOMAS HANKINS (LO372) on the port side, sustaining damage to after gallows and shell plates.
1930: Transferred to Fleetwood.
3.1930: While laying outside Wyre Dock and prepared for sea, sprang a leak, towed to sandbank and beached. Repaired and returned to service.
1931: Transferred to Hull.
12.1.1932: In thick fog stranded on Filey High Brig. Kedge anchors laid out but attempt to refloat at 7.30 pm failed. Later a southerly gale sprang up and crew evacuated over bow and rocks to safety.
13.1.1932: Two crew and locals returned onboard. At 7.00 am. came afloat without assistance, initially men taken off by lifeboat but crew returned and anchored Filey Bay to check round before proceeding to Hull.
9.4.1936: Lord Invernairn died. Ownership transferred to his Executors – Alexander B. MacDuff, & Alexander M. Mitchell, Glasgow and Lady Invernairn,Flichity, Inverness.
1938: Sold to Mills Steam Ship Co Ltd, London.
9.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.667) (Hire rate £83.8.0d/month).
19.5.1940: Sailed Harwich (Sk. W. H. Makings RNR) escorted by HM Destroyer JAGUAR (Lt Cdr. J. F. Hine RN)(P.No.F34) and HM Patrol Sloop PUFFIN (Lt Cdr. Earl Beatty RN)(P.No.L52) accompanied by HM M/S Trawlers, CAPE MELVILLE (Ty/Sk. J.E. C. Wright RNR)(P.No.FY651) (H150), GRAMPIAN (Ch. Sk. A. Robb RNR)(P.No.FY546) (H502), MILFORD QUEEN (Ty/Sk. F. Burgess RNR) (P.No.FY615) (M225), MILFORD PRINCESS (Ty/Sk. J. W. Cook RNR)(P.No.FY616) (M228) and PELTON (Sk. J. A. Sutherland DSC RNR)(H288), engaged in Operation Quixote (to creep and cut telephone cables between Lowestoft, Bacton, Mundesley and Borkum and Nordeney, Germany).
28.5.1940: Operation completed.
15.1.1942: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager) for £8625.
1944: Fitted out for dan laying and assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
23.5.1944: Attached to the 15th Minesweeping Flotilla as a dan layer.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
10.1944: Returned to owner.
3.1945: Reclassed at Hull.
11.3.1946: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood for £19000. Registered at Fleetwood (FD189).
27.7.1953: Last landing at Fleetwood. Laid up.
5.1954: Sold to Haven Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (Robert Lewis, manager).
13.12.1959: Last landing at Milford. Laid up.
1960: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
16.3.1960: Delivered to Briton Ferry under own power from Milford Haven.
(James Lay, Landsman, age 24, b. Peckham, London – VICTORY (SB312))
Click to enlarge images
Official Number: 163963
Yard Number: 982
Gross Tonnage: 443
Net Tonnage: 168
Length: 162.1 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12.9 ft
Engine: 99HP T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Southbank on Tees, Middlesborough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Southbank on Tees, Middlesborough
7.1.1935: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.982) for Hellyer Brothers Ltd, Hull as HAUSA.
4.2.1935: Registered at Hull (H158).
2.1935: Completed (Frank O. Hellyer & Owen S. Hellyer, joint managers).
4.3.1939: Sailed Hull for Bear Island last trip before sale (Sk. R. Turner).
24.3.1939: At Hull landed 1,269 kits grossed £1,418.
3.4.1939: Sold to Loyal Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby A. W. Butt, manager).
3.4.1939: Hull registry closed.
4.4.1939: Registered at Grimsby (GY94).
15.4.1939: Registered at Grimsby as VICTORIAN (GY94).
8.1939: Sold to The Admiralty (£25,441) and fitted out to an anti-submarine trawler (P.No.FY.114).
5.1.1940: Grimsby registry closed. 20.10.1945: A Control Committee was formed to manage Hull and Grimsby trawlers which had been bought by the Admiralty in pre war and were being offered for sale back to their original owners. The owners who bought back these vessels and wanted to take part in the scheme agreed to register the trawlers under the Hull Ice Co. Ltd and profits were shared. Management of the trawlers was given to the companies which had bought them.
1.1946: Surveyed and restored at Glasgow and placed on disposal list.
1.1946: Sold to Hull Ice Co Ltd, Hull. Registered at Grimsby (GY151).
16.11.1946: Sold to Loyal Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby for £1.
6.1948: Sold to Loch Fishing Co Ltd, Hull.
6.1948: Grimsby registry closed.
6.1948: Registered at Hull as LOCH FLEET (H569).
1949: Sold to A. & M. Smith Ltd, Hull (Mark Hellyer & Graham Hellyer, managers).
26.5.1954: Sailed Hull for Iceland last trip before sale (Sk. R. Haughton).
16.6.1954: At Hull landed 1,630 kits grossed £4,533.
6.1954: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Alfred J. Marr, manager). Hull registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD43).
17.8.1854: First landing at Fleetwood from Iceland, 1,451 boxes/80 baskets grossed £3,227.
8.3.1957: In thick fog steamer GRACEHILL, (452grt/1918), Londonderry for Ayr light, ran on “Boiler Reef” to the west of Sanda. Vessel holed, crew abandoned but could not pull away due to fog. Trawler stood by and using her radar guided Campbeltown lifeboat to ship; crew of ten saved and landed Campbeltown.
6.1959: Company taken over by J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood.
2.7.1959: Sold for to Van Heyghen Freres, Ghent for breaking up.
6.7.1959: Arrived Ghent.
Click to enlarge images