In Boston (Fleetwood) ownership, did not fish from the port
Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 163151
Yard Number: 1113
Completed: 1933
Gross Tonnage: 421
Net Tonnage: 168
Length: 152.1 ft
Breadth: 25.6 ft
Depth: 13.6 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

8.7.1933: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1113) for Hudson Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as CAPE WARWICK.
9.8.1933: Registered at Hull (H503).
14.8.1933: Completed. Archibald Hudson, Hessle appointed manager.
9.1935: As a result of the Abyssinian crisis and failure of British diplomacy, the Government authorised The Admiralty to procure twenty modern trawlers for conversion to minor war vessels.
11.1935: Following successful trials sold to The Admiralty.
26.11.1935: Hull registry closed. Fitted out as a “Gem” class anti submarine trawler (1-4”, ASDIC, DC).
1936: Renamed HMS CORNELIAN (P.No.T.15).
1940: Based Birkenhead with 2nd A/S Group.
1944: Assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
23.5.1944: Convoy escort duties in British waters.
4.6.1944: Sailed Falmouth escorting convoy ECL1.
6.6.1944: Arrived Western Task Force area.
6.1944: Escort across the Channel in support of landings.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
20.5.1946: Sold to Consolidated Fisheries Ltd, Grimsby for the sum of £15,000. Converted to steam trawler at a cost of £20,966. (Total £35,966). Sir John Denton Marsden, Bart appointed manager.
1.1947: Refitted and reclassed as a steam trawler. 407g 198n.
10.3.1947: Registered at Grimsby as LINCOLN CITY (GY464).
11.3.1947: Sailed on first trip.
24.5.1963: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood. Basil Arthur Parkes, North Ferriby appointed manager.
9.1963: Sold to Brugse Scheepssloperij, Bruges, Belgium and broken up.
20.9.1963: Grimsby registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

HMS Cornelian

HMS Cornelian
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Lincoln City GY464

S.T. Lincoln City GY464
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Lincoln City GY464

S.T. Lincoln City GY464
Picture courtesy of Billy Worrall

S.T. Lincoln City GY464

S.T. Lincoln City GY464

Changelog
25/11/2013: Page published. 7 updates since then.
02/05/2015: Picture added.
30/03/2016: Picture added.

Read / Leave a Comment

In Marr (Fleetwood) ownership. Did not fish from the port.

Technical

Official Number: 163950
Yard Number: 1127
Completed: 1934
Gross Tonnage: 457
Net Tonnage: 185
Length: 161.0 ft
Breadth: 26.6 ft
Depth: 14.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

11.9.1934: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1127) for Hudson Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as CAPE BARFLEUR.
23.10.1934: Registered at Hull (H105).
30.10.1934: Completed (Archibald Hudson, Hessle, manager).
5.11.1934: Sailed Hull on first trip to Bear Island grounds (Sk. James Myers).
28.11.1934: At Hull landed 2,000 kits grossed £1,020.
9.1935: As a result of the Abyssinian crisis and failure of British diplomacy, the Government authorised The Admiralty to procure twenty modern trawlers for conversion to minor war vessels.
1938: In the Naval Estimates The Admiralty was authorised to purchase further modern trawlers for conversion to anti submarine vessels.
2.1939: Sold to The Admiralty (£19,260) following successful trials.
27.2.1939: Hull registry closed. Fitted out as a “Gem” class anti-submarine trawler. Renamed HMTrawler AMBER (P.No.T.88).
1.9.1939: Based Alexandria/Port Said with 4th Anti Submarine Group.
6.1940: At Aden (Boatswain H W Clark).
1.1941: At Aden (Actg S/Lieut. P Le M Andrews RNR).
7.1941: At Port Said (Act Ty Lieut. S. Barrie RNR).
1946: Sold to Eton Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (George Gillard, manager).
9.1946: Completed refit and classified as steam trawler.
9.1946: Remeasured after re-classification 473g 188n.
8.10.1946: Registered at Hull as ETONIAN (H333).
9.10.1946: Sailed Hull on first trip to Bear Island (Sk. H. Lead).
5.11.1946: At Hull landed 2,011 kits grosed £4,662.
19.9.1950: Sold to Boyd Line Ltd, Hull (T. W. Boyd, manager).
12.10.1950: Registered at Hull as ARCTIC CRUSADER (H333).
19.5.1952: Sold to Eton Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (George Gillard, manager).
29.3.1952: Registered at Hull as ETONIAN (H333).
5.3.1954: Sailed Hull for Iceland last trip before sale (Sk.A. Hinchcliffe).
27.3.1954: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Hull, manager) for £27,250.
29.3.1954: At Hull landed 2,311 kits grossed £3,642.
1.4.1954: Sailed Hull for Iceland first trip for new owners (Sk. A. Hinchcliffe).
23.4.1954: At Hull landed 1,502 kits grossed £4,541.
6.4.1955: Registered at Hull as GLENELLA (H333).
1957: Sold to BISCO and allocated to J. J. King & Co Ltd, Gateshead for breaking up.
13.5.1957: Arrived River Tyne. Hull registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Cape Barfleur H105

S.T. Cape Barfleur H105
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Cape Barfleur H105

S.T. Cape Barfleur H105
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Etonian H333

S.T. Glenella H333
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Glenella H333

S.T. Glenella H333
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 162067
Yard Number: 963
Completed: 1934
Gross Tonnage: 433
Net Tonnage: 162
Length: 157.3 ft
Breadth: 26.4
Depth: 12.3
Engine: 137ihp T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

18.12.1933: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.963) for Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood as MAVIS ROSE.
15.1.1934: Registered at Fleetwood (FD14).
1.1934: Completed (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
9.1935: As a result of the Abyssinian crisis and failure of British diplomacy, the Government authorised The Admiralty to procure twenty modern trawlers for conversion to minor war vessels.
11.1935: Following successful trials sold to The Admiralty. Fitted out as a “Gem” class anti-submarine trawler.
21.11.1935: Fleetwood registry closed. Renamed HMTrawler AGATE (P.No.T.87).
6.8.1941: In command of Py/Ty/Lieut. Leonard H. Cline RNR, part of east coast convoy FS 59 – Methil, Tyne & Sunderland for Thames. In poor visibility and NNW to NW gale, lost after running on Haisborough Sands off Cromer in position 52°54.30N/01°43.50E, along with eight cargo vessels* that followed the Commodore (Lt Cdr R J Stephens RNR -KENTAR) on an incorrect course and were not informed to alter course. AGATE Captain attempted to warn others but went aground at 3.59am; 18 crew including Captain lost and 8 saved.

* OXSHOTT, GALLOIS, DEERWOOD, ABERHILL, AFON TOWY, BETTY HINDLEY and TAARA.

(MPK – Py/Ty/Lieut. Leonard H. Cline PNR; Ty/Sub Lieut. Peter G. Beard RNR; Ty/Sub Lieut. Arthur G. Tree RNVR; Alfred H. Lewis, Engineman; Peter Robertson, AB; Sidney Burrett, James Cargill. Sidney Hood (killed), Charles Scraton, Richard Stephens, Seamen; James Donelly, Norman MacBeath, O/S; Michael Joyce, O/S Cook; Reginald N. McBurney, O/S Steward; Timothy C. Shields Ldg Stoker; Victor W. Pascoe, James W. Wilson, Stokers; Frederick C. Brill, Stoker 2nd class)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Mavis Rose FD14

S.T. Mavis Rose FD14

S.T. Mavis Rose FD14 as HMT Agate

S.T. Mavis Rose FD14 as HMT Agate

HMT Agate

HMT Agate

Changelog
26/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 163176
Yard Number: 587
Completed: 1934
Gross Tonnage: 426
Net Tonnage: 126
Length: 154.6 ft
Breadth: 25.6 ft
Depth: 13.9 ft
Engine: 111nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Speed: 11.5 knots

History

18.12.1933: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.587) for Hellyer Bros. Ltd, Hull as DERVISH.
23.1.1934: Registered at Hull (H8).
29.1.1934: Completed (Frank O. Hellyer & Owen S. Hellyer, managers).
31.1.1934: Sailed Hull on first trip to Icelandic grounds (Sk. I. Petersen).
21.2.1934: At Hull landed 1,347 kits grossed £1,684.
27.4.1934: At Hull (Sk. G. Myhre) landed from a Bear Island trip 1,030 kits grossed £1017 but reported Mate, W. Harrison (37), lost overboard on 14.4.1934.
9.1935: As a result of the Abyssinian crisis and failure of British diplomacy, the Government authorised The Admiralty to procure twenty modern trawlers for conversion to minor war vessels.
9.10.1935: Following successful trials sold to The Admiralty.
8.11.1935: Hull registry closed. Fitted out to a “Gem” class anti-submarine trawler.
Renamed HMS PEARL (P.No.T.22).
1944: Assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
23.5.1944: Convoy escort duties in British waters and across the Channel in support of landings.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
9.4.1946: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £14500.
12.1946: New boiler fitted.
12.1946: Reclassed at Fleetwood and renamed WESTELLA (H349). Transferred to Hull.
25.6.1948: Sold to Pegasus Trawling Co Ltd, St. Anne’s-on-the-Sea (William Stevenson, St. Anne’s-on-the-Sea, manager) for £67000.
15.8.1951: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood (Cdr. E. D. W. Lawford DSO, manager).
1952: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Frank Marr, Cleveleys, manager).
1953: Registered at Fleetwood (FD318).
1.6.1959: Company taken over by J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood.
8.1959: Sold to Van Heyghen Freres S.A., Ghent for breaking up.
14.8.1959: Sailed Fleetwood for Ghent.
18.8.1959: Delivered Ghent. Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Westella FD318

S.T. Westella FD318
Picture courtesy of Alan Hirst

S.T. Westella FD318

S.T. Westella FD318
Picture courtesy of Fred Baker

S.T. Westella H349

S.T. Westella H349
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

HMS Pearl

HMS Pearl

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of David Slinger

Technical

Official Number: 163173
Yard Number: 586
Completed: 1934
Gross Tonnage: 394
Net Tonnage: 152
Length: 151.9 ft
Breadth: 25.6 ft
Depth: 13.6 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: 102NHP T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

4.12.1933: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.586) for Jutland Amalgamated Trawlers Ltd, Hull as LADY ADELAIDE.
3.1.1934: Registered at Hull (H4).
10.1.1934: Completed (Edward Cargill, manager).
15.1.1934: Sailed Hull on first trip to White Sea grounds (Sk.W. Lewis).
12.2.1934: At Hull landed 499 kits grossed £935.
2.1939: Sold to The Admiralty (£18,333).
27.2.1939: Hull registry closed. Fitted out to a “Gem” class anti-submarine trawler. Renamed HMS BERYL (1-4”) (P.No.T.34). To Malta in Reserve Fleet.
28.11.1939: Commissioned. Mid. Harold W. du Boisson RNR appointed CO. To Alexandria with A/S Group 4.
4.1940: A/Comm Bosun Henry E. Sellwood RN appointed CO.
6.5.1940: Arrived Malta with A/S Group 4.
6.1940: Mid. Harold W. du Boisson RNR appointed CO.
7.10.1940: Act Cdr James Collis Bird DSC RN (rtd) appointed CO.
7,1941: Mid. Harold W. du Boisson RNR appointed CO.
11.11.1941: Snr Comm Bosun Victor P. Rhind RN appointed CO.
17.12.1941: A/Sub Lieut. Harold W. Boisson RNR appointed CO. To Port Said with A/S Group 4.
12.1942: Ty/Sub Lieut. Harold Olsberg RNR appointed CO.
10.7.1943 – 3.9.1943: At Sicily landings.
9.1944: Ty/Sk. Joseph William Richmond RNR appointed CO.
1946: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Capt. E. D. W. Lawford DSO, manager).
1946-47: Restored at Barrow.
2.1947: Converted at Barrow-in-Furness for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
2.1947: Registered at London as RED KNIGHT (LO445).
26.4.1954: At Reykjavik Sk. Nicholas Wright was fined £1700 with catch and gear confiscated on a charge of fishing inside Icelandic territorial waters.
14.12.1959: Homeward from Icelandic grounds (Sk. Leon Mecklenburgh) in very heavy weather off Western Isles. Between 0710 and 0715 spoke to RED FALCON (LO4) (Sk. Alex Harvey) about 150 miles ahead and agreed to make for lee of Irish coast. Presumed Sk. Harvey later set course for Inishtrahull. At 1830, Sk. Mecklenburgh called RED FALCON on the radiotelephone but received no reply.
15.12.1959: On arrival at Fleetwood on midday tide Sk. Mecklenburgh expressed concern for the RED FALCON.
16.12.1959: At 1220 Formby Coastguard informed Northern Rescue Co-ordination Centre, Pitreavie that vessel was 24 hrs overdue. Search by Shackleton aircraft over area.
18.12.1959: Search called off. RED FALCON presumed foundered, between Stanton Bank and Skerryvore and probably to the SW of Skerryvore Light, Inner Hebrides, overwhelmed due to
stress of weather; all nineteen crew lost.
1.1961: Dodging in heavy seas and gale force wind off Iceland assisted trawler LORD MONTGOMERY (FD130) who had lost the mate, Ralph Connelly, presumed washed overboard to search the area. The mate was not found.
1962: Sold to to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
27.11.1962: Delivered Barrow-in-Furness from Fleetwood under own power.
12.1962: London registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

HMT Beryl

HMT Beryl

S.T. Red Knight LO445

S.T. Red Knight LO445

S.T. Red Knight LO445

S.T. Red Knight LO445
Picture courtesy of Stephen Myerscough

S.T. Red Knight LO445

S.T. Red Knight LO445

Changelog
18/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
03/02/2016: Information updated.
14/08/2016: Picture added.

Read / Leave a Comment