Tag Archives: Gem Class

S.T. Phyllis Rosalie FD24

Technical

Official Number: 162068
Yard Number: 964
Completed: 1934
Gross Tonnage: 433
Net Tonnage: 162
Length: 157.2 ft
Breadth: 26.4 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

15.1.1934: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.964) for Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood as PHYLLIS ROSALIE.
31.1.1934: Registered at Fleetwood (FD24).
2.1934: Completed (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
1934: Port’s best single trip, 1,611 boxes.
15.7.1935: Represented Fleetwood at the King George V Silver Jubilee Review at Spithead. Her Skipper, Walter Holmes DSC was presented to H.M. King George.
1935: Port’s best single trip, 1769 boxes.
9.1935: As a result of the Abyssinian crisis and failure of British diplomacy, the Government authorised The Admiralty to procure twenty modern trawlers for conversion to minor war vessels.
11.1935: Following successful trials sold to The Admiralty.
21.11.1935: Fleetwood registry closed. Fitted out as a “Gem” class anti-submarine trawler. Renamed HMTrawler AMETHYST (P.No.T12).
24.11.1940: Mined in Barrow Deep, Thames estuary. All crew landed safely at Southend (Ty/Lieut the Hon W. K. Rous RNVR).

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Phyllis Rosalie FD24

S.T. Phyllis Rosalie FD24

HMT Amethyst

HMT Amethyst
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

S.T. Phyllis Rosalie FD24

S.T. Phyllis Rosalie FD24
Picture courtesy of The Osta Collection

Changelog
16/01/2009: Page published. 5 revisions since then.
14/04/2014: Picture added.
02/12/2014: Picture added.

S.T. Carella FD319

Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 163143
Yard Number: 1112
Completed: 1933
Gross Tonnage : 421
Net Tonnage: 162
Length: 152.1 ft
Breadth: 25.6 ft
Depth: 13.6 ft
Engine: 640ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Son Ltd, Selby

History

Note: First trawler built with a cruiser stern

10.6.1933: Launched by Cochrane & Son Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1112) for Hudson Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as CAPE BATHURST.
21.7.1933: Registered at Hull (H496).
25.7.1933: Completed (Archibald Hudson, manager).
1934: Hudson Brothers Trawlers Ltd appointed managers (Archibald Hudson, manager).
9.1935: As a result of the Abyssinian crisis and failure of British diplomacy, the Government authorised The Admiralty to procure twenty modern trawlers for conversion to minor war vessels.
17.10.1935: Sailed Hull for Bear Island grounds (Sk. C. Grantham).
8.11.1935: At Hull landed last trip 1,893 kits grossed £1191.
23.11.1935: Following successful trials sold to The Admiralty (Ref.18008/35).
26.11.1935: Hull registry closed. Fitted out as a “Gem” class anti submarine trawler (1-4”).
1936: Renamed HMS RUBY (P.No. T.24).
9.8.1939: At Review of Reserve Fleet in Weymouth Bay by King George VI.
1940: Based Birkenhead with 2nd A/S Group (Ty Lieut. R. P. Chapman RNR).
6.1941: At Plymouth refitting (Senior Officer, Ty S/Lieut. N. L. Brown RNVR).
9.7.1942: Escorting convoy WP.183 (Ty Lieut. Nicolas Leadley Brown RNVR) attacked by E-boats in Lyme Bay. HMT MANOR (M238) (P.No.FY.333) (Skipper Benjamin Pile, RNR) torpedoed and sunk in position 50.19N 03.01W in 60m. Twenty-nine crew MPK, sole survivor, 2nd Hand Cyril Foale, picked up from the water and landed at Yarmouth, IoW.
1944: Assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
23.5.1944: Convoy escort duties in British waters.
4.6.1944: Sailed Milford Haven escorting convoy EBC2 to Solent.
7.6.1944: Sailed Solent as Force B (Escort Group 144).
8.6.1944: Arrived Western Task Force area.
06.1944: Escort across the Channel in support of landings.
03.07.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
18.9.1945: Escorting (Lieut. M. Bishop RNVR) damaged French submarine MINERVE, Liverpool-Cherbourg, in tow of former French tug ELAN II. In gale conditions in Lyme Bay decided to round Portland Bill and shelter in Portland. Tug lost tow in race and submarine went ashore on Chesil Beach. Returned to scene in very bad weather and sustained extensive minor damage.
1946: Laid up at Milford Haven on Disposal List (SORF, Pembroke Dock).
26.4.1946: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood for £12,650.
8.1946: Re-classed at Manchester. Registered at Fleetwood as CARELLA (FD216). Geoffrey Edwards Marr appointed manager.
13.12.1948: Sold to Henderson’s Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Hull for £61,000. Geoffrey Edwards Marr appointed manager. William Stevenson, St. Anne’s-on-the-Sea appointed manager.
5.1.1949: Fleetwood registry closed.
6.1.1949: Registered at Hull (H4).
19.1.1949: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Martins Bank Ltd, Liverpool (A).
2.8.1949: Last landing at Hull (Sk. J. Mallon). From White Sea 2194 kits, £5209 gross.
29.8.1949: First landing at Fleetwood. From White Sea 1713 kits, £2626 gross.
27.9.1949: One of five trawlers that went aground in the Wyre Channel in thick fog when outward for the fishing grounds. Refloated next tide and proceeded.
28.9.1949: Outward for White Sea grounds (Sk. R. T. Birch). In thick fog 3 miles from Mull of Galloway in collision with BTC steamer DUKE of ARGYLL(3799grt/1928) sustaining minor damage and proceeded.
19.10.1949: Landed 1441 kits, £4043 gross.
7.2.1950: Last landing at Fleetwood. Landed 1919 kits, £2844 gross. Returned to Hull.
19.10.1951: Mortgage (A) discharged.
19.10.1951: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
24.10.1951: Frank Marr, appointed manager.
1952: Homeward from Icelandic grounds ignored warnings not to proceed through The Minch and ran through the extremities of a trial (Operation Cauldron) of biological agents. Crew subsequently monitored covertly for any signs of illness. *
27.7.1953: Hull registry closed.
7.1953: Registered at Fleetwood (FD319).
4.1959: Alleged fishing inside Icelandic 4 mile limit.
1.6.1959: Company taken over by J. Marr & Son Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Hull, manager).
7.11.1959: Sold to BISCO and allocated to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Troon for breaking up.
18.11.1959: Sailed Fleetwood for Troon.
19.11.1959: Delivered Troon Harbour (draughts 3’9”/15’9”).
23.2.1960: Breaking commenced.
2.3.1960: Beached (draughts 7’0”/10’6”).
9.6.1960: Breaking completed. Fleetwood registry closed.
*-It was never quite clear why CARELLA chose to ignore the instruction to go outside rather than through the Minch or to what extent the vapours spread into the atmosphere from the test site.

Click to enlarge images

HMT Ruby

HMT Ruby
Picture from the Internet

HMT Ruby

HMT Ruby
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Carella H4

S.T. Carella H4
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

Changelog
16/01/2009: Page published. 8 updates since then.
29/10/2019: Information updated.

S.T. Dunsby H306

Technical

Official Number: 162895
Yard Number: 980
Completed: 1935
Gross Tonnage: 421
Net Tonnage: 160
Length: 157.0 ft
Breadth: 26.7 ft
Depth: 12.3 feet
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough
Boiler: Richardsons, Westgarth & Co Ltd, Hartlepool
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

20.12.1934: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.980) for H. Croft Baker & Sons Ltd, Grimsby as MILDENHALL.
1.1935: Completed.
21.1.1935: Registered at Grimsby (GY124).
21.1.1935: Sydney Croft Baker appointed manager.
25.1.1935: Mortgaged to Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (A).
9.1935: As a result of the Abyssinian crisis and failure of British diplomacy, the Government authorised The Admiralty to procure twenty modern trawlers for conversion to minor war vessels.
4.12.1935: Mortgage (A) discharged.
12.1935: Following successful trials sold to The Admiralty.
28.12.1935: Grimsby registry closed “On advice from Manager and from the Lords Commissioners of The Admiralty”. Fitted out as a “Gem” class anti-submarine trawler (1-12pdr). Renamed HM Trawler SAPPHIRE (P.No.T.27).
1946: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (B. A. Parkes, manager).
9.1946: Restored and re-classed at Liverpool. Registered at Hull as DUNSBY (H306).
1948: Sold to Seddon Fishing Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood (B. Kilaczycki, London, manager).
1951: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
23.1.1953: At Hull landed from White Sea (Sk.H. Parker)1,044 kits grossed £3003. Transferred to Grimsby.
1953: Sold to Findus Hammerfest, Hammerfest (Hammerfest Havfiske A/L, managers). Registered at Hammerfest as FINDUS 1 (F2M)
2.1954: Sold to Hammerfest Havfiske A/L, Hammerfest (Lorentz A. Roksvaag, manager). Renamed SKAIDI (F2M).
2.1954: Converted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
6.1970: Sold for breaking up at Stavanger.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Dunsby H306

S.T. Dunsby H306
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

S.T. Skaidi

S.T. Skaidi F2M
Picture courtesy of Jonleif (trawlerphotoforum)

HMT Sapphire

HMT Sapphire
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

HMT Sapphire

HMT Sapphire
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

HMT Sapphire

HMT Sapphire
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T. Skaidi F2M

S.T. Skaidi F2M
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

Changelog

14/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
28/05/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Red Lancer LO442

Technical

Official Number: 163938
Yard Number: 592
Completed: 1934
Gross Tonnage: 390
Net Tonnage: 149
Length: 151.9 ft
Breadth: 25.6 ft
Depth: 13.6 ft
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Engine: 117nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed: 11.6 knots

History

31.7.1934: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.592) for Jutland Amalgamated Trawlers Ltd, Hull as LADY MADELEINE.
25.8.1934: Registered at Hull (H85).
30.8.1934: Completed (Edward Cargill, manager).
27.1.1939: Sold to The Admiralty (£18,333).
27.2.1939: Hull registry closed. Fitted out as a “Gem” class anti-submarine trawler. Renamed HMS MOONSTONE (1-4”, AA weapons, DC)
(P.No.T.90).
19.6.1940: On patrol in the Red Sea (Bosun William Moorman), captured the Italian submarine GALILEO GALILEI; towed to Aden by HMS KANDAHAR
(P.No.F28). After repair submarine was commissioned in the Royal Navy as HMS EUROPA.
1946: Laid up at Milford Haven on Disposal List (SORF, Pembroke Dock).
4.1946: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Capt. E. D. W. Lawford DSO, manager).
1946-47: Restored at Barrow.
1.1947: Converted at Barrow-in-Furness for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
1.1947: Registered at London as RED LANCER (LO442).
7.1963: Company taken over by Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood.
17.1.1964: Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd office closed.
1.1964: Sold to Lacmots Ltd, Glasson Dock for breaking up.
27.1.1964: Delivered Glasson Dock.
1964: London registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

HMT Moonstone

HMT Moonstone
Picture courtesy of The Imperial War Museum

HMT Moonstone

HMT Moonstone
Picture courtesy of The Imperial War Museum

HMT Moonstone

HMT Moonstone
Picture courtesy of The Imperial War Museum

Galileo Galilei

Galileo Galilei
Picture courtesy of The Imperial War Museum

Gallileo Galilei

HMS Kandahar towing Gallileo Galilei
Picture courtesy of The Imperial War Museum

S.T. Red-Lancer LO442

S.T. Red-Lancer LO442
Picture courtesy of Stephen Myerscough

S.T. Red Lancer LO442 inboard of Red Rose

S.T. Red Lancer LO442 inboard of Red Rose.
Picture courtesy of Harold Beswick, 1952.

S.T. Red Lancer LO442

S.T. Red Lancer LO442
Pre-radar. Picture courtesy of Phillip Dell

S.T. Red Lancer LO442

S.T. Red Lancer LO442
Picture courtesy of the JJ collection

Changelog
10/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
10/04/2015: Three pictures added.
20/03/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from images.
28/09/2019: Updated information and added an image.

S.T. Woolton GY575

Additional material courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 162899
Yard Number: 986
Completed: 1935
Gross Tonnage: 427
Net Tonnage: 160
Length: 160.3 ft
Breadth: 26.7 ft
Depth: 12.5 ft
Engine: 800ihp T. 3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough
Boiler: Richardsons Westgarth & Co Ltd, Hartlepool
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough

History

7.3.1935: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.986) for Shire Trawlers Ltd, London as WARWICKSHIRE.
3.1935: Completed for Warwickshire Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (William. A. Bennett, manager).
28.3.1935: Registered at Grimsby (GY133).
9.1935: As a result of the Abyssinian crisis and failure of British diplomacy, the Government authorised The Admiralty to procure twenty modern trawlers for conversion to minor war vessels.
12.1935: Following successful trials sold to The Admiralty.
23.12.1935: Grimsby registry closed. Fitted out as a “Gem” class anti-submarine trawler. Renamed HMS TURQUOISE (P.No.T.45).
19.2.1942: Escorting convoy on East Coast (Lieut. C. M. Newns RNVR), drove off E-boat attack; eighteen enemy survivors picked up.
10.1946: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. Reclassed at Fleetwood and registered at Hull as St. OSWALD (H335) (MoT Minute R.G.No.11524/1946).
5.1948: Sold to Grimsby Merchants Amalgamated Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby. George Edward Peniston appointed manager
5.1948: Hull registry closed.
8.5.1948: Registered at Grimsby (GY575).
23.5.1948: While steaming 22 miles south west of Vardö, struck a mine which caused serious bow damage and killed three crew members. Norwegian minesweeper KNM Lomma P.No.M317) escorted to Vardö.
29.9.1948: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (A).
5.5.1950: Registered at Grimsby as WOOLTON (GY575) (MoT Minute R.G.No.11027/50 dated 24.4.1950).
27.5.1952: Mortgage (A) discharged.
3.7.1952: John Wilcock Robinson, Fleetwood appointed manager.
20.6.1952: Sold to Wyre Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood.
30.6.1952: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Grimsby Merchants Amalgamated Trawling Co Ltd, Grimsby for the sum of £20,000 with interest at 5% (B).
4.8.1952: At Fleetwood. Landed 12,000 stone of cod and haddock from an eleven day Icelandic trip; grossed £5,004.
1.9.1953: Mortgage (B) discharged.
22.2.1954: Leslie Wheildon appointed manager.
21.8.1954: Company restyled Wyre Trawlers Ltd (Leslie Wheildon, manager) on purchase of Merchants (Fleetwood) Ltd by Associated Fisheries Group.
23.8.1954: Grimsby registry closed.
8.1954: Registered at Fleetwood (FD18).
10.1954: Registered at Fleetwood as WYRE WOOLTON (FD18).
15.4.1957: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Preston.
16.4.1957: Sailed Fleetwood for Preston.
17.4.1957: Delivered.
1957: Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Warwickshire GY133

S.T. Warwickshire GY133
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. St Oswald H335

S.T. St Oswald H335
Picture by Jonathan courtesy of The Mark Stopper Collection

HMT Turquoise

HMT Turquoise
Picture courtesy of The Peter Green Collection

HMT Turquoise

HMT Turquoise
Picture courtesy of The Peter Green Collection

S.T. Wyre Woolton FD18

S.T. Wyre Woolton FD18
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

Changelog
08/01/2009: Page published. 6 updates since then.
05/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.