Tag Archives: Seddon FC

S.T. Aby FD138

Technical

Official Number: 180326
Yard Number: 755
Completed: 1945
Registered: November 27 1945
Gross Tonnage: 361
Net Tonnage: 139
Length: 136 ft
Breadth: 25.2 ft
Depth: 13.2 ft
Engine: 600IHP T.3-cyl by Charles D Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell
Speed: 11.7 knots

History

22.9.1945: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.755) for Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood as ABY.
26.11.1945: Registered at Fleetwood (FD138).
27.11.1945: Completed.
7.10.1946: Sold to Seddon Fishing Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood (B. Kilaczycki, London, manager).
14.2.1949: Sold to Neale & West Ltd, Cardiff.
14.2.1949: Fleetwood registry closed. 1949: Renamed CHAFFCOMBE (CF18).
1956: Neale & West Ltd closed their Cardiff base.
20.6.1956: Sold to Don Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Sir Fred Parkes, manager). Cardiff registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD30).
12.1956: Converted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F
1.1957: Renamed BOSTON GANNET (FD30).
20.3.1963: Laid up in Glasson Dock.
10.1963: Sold to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Troon for breaking up.
6.10.1963: Arrived Troon.
8.10.1963: Breaking commenced.
18.10.1963: First beaching.
31.1.1964: First reberthing.
15.4.1964: Second reberthing.
20.5.1964: Breaking up completed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Aby FD138

S.T. Aby FD138
Picture courtesy of The Osta Collection

S.T. Aby FD138

S.T. Aby FD138
Picture courtesy of The Osta Collection.


Changelog
26/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
13/01/2017: Removed disputed image.

S.T. Marinda FD155

Technical

Official Number: 180329
Yard Number: 189
Completed: 1945
Gross Tonnage: 342
Net Tonnage: 124
Length: 136 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Depth: 13.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by J. Lewis & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen (E.No.263)
Boiler: Barclay, Curle & Co Ltd, Glasgow

History

6.10.1945: Launched by J. Lewis & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.189) for J. Marr & Sons Ltd, Fleetwood as MARINDA.
1.1946: Registered at Fleetwood (FD155).
14.1.1946: Completed.
3.2.1947: Sold to Seddon Steam Fishing Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood (B. Kilaczycki, London, manager) for £54000.
2.8.1949: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £35000.
26.10.1950: Sold to National Trawling & Fishing Co Ltd, Cape Town for £40000. Registered at Cape Town (CTA43).
Pre 1966: Company sold to Irvin & Johnson Ltd, Cape Town, who became managers.
1968: Sold to South African Navy. Stripped of all useable parts and non-ferrous metals and sunk as a target.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Marinda FD155

S.T. Marinda FD155
Picture courtesy of The Osta Collection

Marinda FD155 at Cape Town

Marinda FD155 at Cape Town
Picture courtesy of Janet Hannah

S.T. Marinda CTA43

S.T. Marinda CTA43
Picture courtesy of the South African Ship

S.T. Marinda CTA43

S.T. Marinda CTA43
Picture courtesy of the South African Ship Society

Changelog
22/07/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
12/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Bulby (2) – FD147

Technical

Official Number: 180327
Yard Number: 756
Completed: 1946
Gross Tonnage: 361
Net Tonnage: 139
Length: 136.1 ft
Breadth: 25.2 ft
Depth: 13.2 ft
Engine: 600IHP T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed : 11.9 knots
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell, Beverley

History

8.10.1945: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.756) for Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Fred Parkes, Blackpool, manager) as BULBY.
1.1.1946: Completed.
3.1.1946: Registered at Fleetwood (FD147).
7.10.1946: Sold to Seddon Fishing Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood (B. Kilaczycki, London, manager).
27.7.1949: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £40280.
9.11.1953: Sold to National Trawling & Fishing Co Ltd, Cape Town for £46750.
27.1.1954: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Cape Town (CTA52).
20.4.1960: Involved in collision with steam trawler CAPE MATAPAN (CTA382) (321grt/1925) 2 miles off Cape Town with the loss of the CAPE MATAPAN.
Pre 1966: Company sold to Irvin & Johnson Ltd, Cape Town, who became managers.
1968: Stripped of all usable parts and non-ferrous metals.
12.1968: Scuttled at ‘Irvin Johnson’ artificial reef in False Bay.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Bulby FD147 at Cape Town

S.T. Bulby CTA382
Picture courtesy of Janet Hannah

S.T. Bulby FD147

S.T. Bulby FD147
Picture courtesy of the JJ collection

S.T. Boston Gannet FD30

Technical

Official Number: 180326
Yard Number: 755
Completed: 1945
Gross Tonnage: 361
Net Tonnage: 139
Length: 136 ft
Breadth: 25.2 ft
Depth: 13.2 ft
Engine: 600IHP T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed: 11.7 knots
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell

History

22.9.1945: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.755) for Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood as ABY.
26.11.1945: Registered at Fleetwood (FD138).
27.11.1945: Completed.
7.10.1946: Sold to Seddon Fishing Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood (B. Kilaczycki, London, manager).
14.2.1949: Sold to Neale & West Ltd, Cardiff.
14.2.1949: Fleetwood registry closed.
1949: Registered at Cardiff as CHAFFCOMBE (CF18).
1956: Neale & West Ltd closed their Cardiff base; vessels for sale.
20.6.1956: Sold to The Don Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Fred Parkes, Blackpool, manager). Cardiff registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD30).
12.1956: Converted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
1.1957: Registered at Fleetwood as BOSTON GANNET (FD30).
20.3.1963: Laid up in Glasson Dock.
10.1963: Sold to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Troon for breaking up.
6.10.1963: Arrived Troon.
8.10.1963: Breaking commenced.
18.10.1963: First beaching.
31.1.1964: First reberthing.
15.4.1964: Second reberthing.
20.5.1964: Breaking up completed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Boston Gannet FD30

S.T. Boston Gannet FD30

S.T. Boston Gannet FD30

S.T. Boston Gannet FD30
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Boston Gannet FD30

S.T. Boston Gannet FD30
Picture © Mike Helm

Changelog
18/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
09/04/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images and added a picture.

S.T. Seddon GY991

Additional material courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 139922
Yard Number: 346
Completed: 1916
Gross Tonnage: 296
Net Tonnage: 115
Length: 136.2 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd
Engine: 540ihpT.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull

History

20.5.1916: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd (Yd.No.346) for The Standard Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as SEDDON.
11.1916: Completed.
30.10.1916: Registered at Grimsby (GY991).
30.10.1916: Walter William Butt appointed manager.
11.1916: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.3313). Based Dover.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
11.04.1924: On an Icelandic trip, deckhand Walter Swaine contracted double pneumonia and passed away. He was buried at sea. Death certificate reads “Off the coast at Reykjavik”.
26.8.1926: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
10.8.1932: Grounded east bank of river at Blyth after calling for bunker coal. Refloated with no damage.
8.4.1938: Bill Butt appointed manager.
28.6.1938: Albert Wright Butt appointed manager.
2.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (P.No.4.166) (Hire rate £83.17.4d/month).
1.12.1941: Mortgage (A) discharged.
14.1.1942: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull.
22.1.1942: Basil Arthur Parkes, Cleveleys appointed manager.
2.1946: Returned after survey and restoration at Fleetwood.
29.3.1946: Sold to Seddon Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), London & Fleetwood.
5.4.1946: Borys Kilaczycki, London appointed manager.
29.3.1946: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull for £9,000 with interest at 4% B).
8.8.1947: Mortgage (B) discharged.
12.8.1947: Sold to Dagon Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), London.
12.8.1947: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Seddon Fishing Co Ltd, London for £7.500 with interest at 4% (C).
18.8.1947: Czeslaw Antkowiak, London appointed manager.
12.2.1949: Mortgage (C) discharged.
16.4.1951: Sold to Craig Stores (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen.
21.4.1951: Joseph Craig, appointed manager.
21.4.1951: Grimsby registry closed.
27.4.1951: Registered at Aberdeen (A684).
1960: Sold to BISCO and allocated to James A. White & Co Ltd, St. David’s, Fife for breaking up.
22.4.1960: Delivered St. David’s from Aberdeen under own power.
3.10.1960: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel broken up.”

Click to enlarge images

Walter Swaine

Walter Swaine
Picture courtesy of Anne Burton

S.T. Seddon GY991

S.T. Seddon A684
Picture courtesy of John Stevenson

S.T. Seddon A684

S.T. Seddon A684
Picture courtesy of Grimsby Reference Library

S.T. Seddon  GY991

S.T. Seddon GY991
Picture courtesy of Dunmore

S.T. Seddon GY991

S.T. Seddon GY991
Picture courtesy of The Mark Stopper Collection

S.T. Seddon GY991

S.T. Seddon GY991
Picture (at Grimsby) courtesy of Bill Blow

S.T. Seddon GY991

S.T. Seddon GY991
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
17/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
14/08/2015: Picture added.
10/10/2016: Information and picture added.
14/04/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.