In Premier Steam Fishing Co. (Fleetwood) ownership. Did not fish from the port
Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson and Maurice Voss
Official Number: 186693
Yard Number: 765
Gross Tonnage: 534
Net Tonnage: 192
Length: 166.9 ft
Breadth: 27.7 ft
Depth: 14.4 ft
Belgian register: 523,30g 188,91n 49,88 x 8,41 x 4,27 metres
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: 1000ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Fitted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F
One of four oil fired steam trawlers to the same design ordered by Basil Arthur Parkes, Fleetwood during 1945 from Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd. Two for Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull, St. JOHN and St. MATHEW (Yd.Nos.763, 764) and two on behalf of N.V. Motorvisscherij, Ostend, BREUGHEL (Yd.No.765) and RUBENS (Yd.No.767).
01.06.1946: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.765) for N.V. Motorvisscherij, Ostend as BREUGHEL.
07.1946: Registered at Ostend (O299).
2.8.1946: Arrived Ostend.
3.8.1946: In service.1946-1947: Occasional landings at Hull.
1948: First Belgian trawler to fish Greenland and Labrador grounds.
19.11.1948: One crewman (Roger Vanhoome) lost overboard and drowned.
23.6.1950: Sailed on an Icelandic trip. First Belgian trawler to fish Icelandic waters with newly installed radar.
10.1955: Sold to Basil Arthur Parkes, North Ferriby en bloc with RUBENS (O297).
11.1955: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Basil A. Parkes, Hull, manager).
17.11.1955: Ostend registry closed.
28.11.1955: Registered at Hull as St. PETER O.N.186693 (H102) (MoT R555/1/0622 dated 3.11.1955).
28.11.1955: Sold to The Premier Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Hull, manager). Insured for £87,000.
29.11.1955: Sailed Hull for White Sea trip (Sk. Sydney Ness).
22.12.1955: At Hull landed 1792 kits, 363 shelf, £4,827 gross.
20.3.1965: Sailed Hull on Icelandic trip (Sk. Frederick Henry Patmere).
13.4.1965: At Hull landed 776 kits, 237 shelf, £3,331 gross. Laid up for disposal.
05.1965: Sold to Clayton & Davie Ltd, Gateshead for breaking up.
14.05.1965: Arrived River Tyne for breaking up at Dunston.
24.08.1965: Hull registry closed.
Note: ST.PETER is the patron saint of fishermen and with this in mind the Parkes family presented the ship’s bell to The Royal National Mission to Deep Sea Fishermen, Hull. At the present time the bell is placed in the fishermen’s memorial area of the Holy Trinity Church, Hull.
Click to enlarge picture
15/06/2015: Page published.
26/06/2015: Picture added.
Admiralty Number: 3532
Yard Number: 711
Gross Tonnage: 275
Net Tonnage: 107
Length: 125.5 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank, Middlesbrough
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough
3.9.1917: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.711) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as WALTER BURKE (Ad.No.3532).
29.9.1917: Completed as an armed trawler.
12.1923: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Boston. Fred Parkes, Wyburton, Boston appointed manager.
2.1924: Registered at Boston (Part I & IV) as GONERBY O.N.147962 (BN5).
11.1924: Transferred to fish out of Fleetwood.
5.1925: Slipped at Fleetwood prior to sale.
1925: Sold to S. Eraso, San Sebastian, Spain.
1925: Remeasured 283g 109n.
1925: Boston registry closed. Registered at Vigo as TORALLA.
1927: Sold to Pesquera Vasco Gallega Soc Ltda, Vigo.
8.1936: Spanish Civil War; requisitioned and armed by Nationalists at Cadiz.
1939: Returned to owner.
1942: Sold to Santos Eraso Tirapu, San Sebastian.
1946: Sold to Pesquera Vasco-Gallega Soc Ltda, Virgo.
195?: Converted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
1964: Sold to Vieira Gonzalez, Vigo.
1976: Sold for breaking up.
07/05/2015: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall
Official Number: 98291
Yard Number: 131
Gross Tonnage: 139
Net Tonnage: 45
Length: 95 ft
Breadth: 23.3 ft
Depth: 10.5 ft
Built: J. P. Rennoldson & Sons, South Shields
Engine: C.2-cyl by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons, South Shields
1891: Launched by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons, South Shields (Yd.No.131) for The Steam Trawling Co of Boston Ltd, Boston as STURGEON.
6.1891: Registered at Boston (BN17). William Foxton Beaumont appointed manager.
1.1892: Awarded the sum of £73.10s in connection with services rendered to the brig PATRIE.
3.1892: Admiralty High Court gave judgement on a consolidated salvage suit, the owners & crews were awarded £2,400 in connection with trawlers assisting the Liverpool registered four masted ship WILHELM TELL (3107grt/1891) on the SE end of the Dogger Bank on or about 11. and 12.12.1891 and delivering her to Grimsby.
25.01.1895: Went to the assistance of the Boston steam trawler KIRTON (BN187) with bridge swept away in heavy seas with the loss of the skipper, Thomas Hughes and Third Hand George Hildred. Connected and in severe weather and heavy seas delivered safely to Boston.
1897: Sold to The Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Boston. James Bloomfield appointed manager.
27.03.1898: Norwegian barque PACIFIC of Tvedestrand, reported abandoned and waterlogged in position 55.0N 01.0E.
28.03.1898: Found, connected and delivered Grimsby Roads and later beached. Owners and crew were subsequently awarded £260.
1902: Fred Donnison appointed manager.
1907: Daniel Walker appointed manager.
1909: Fred Parkes appointed manager.
1911: Fishing from Fleetwood.
1.9.1911: At Whitehaven Magistrates Court, Sk. John Reader was fined £10 for trawling inside the three mile limit off St. Bees Head.
6.1913: Sold to William Chrystie Duncan, Middlesbrough for the sum of £775.
26.6.1913: Boston registry closed. Converted to a tug. Registered at Middlesbrough as IDA DUNCAN. Charles William Duncan appointed manager.
8.7.1914: Sold to Charles Duncan & Sons Ltd, Middlesbrough.
31.1.1917: Proceeding from Middlesbrough to Tees Bay, mined approximately 11/2 miles E from South Gare Lighthouse (mine laid by U-boat (UC32)). All six crew members lost.
2.1921: Wreck dispersed by explosives.
Crew: Capt Lionel Duncan (29), Master; Robert Tinmouth (56), Mate; Charles Chrystal Duncan (30), Engineer; Thomas Walker (47) and Henry Charles Scott (19), fireman; James Gibson (16), deck boy.
29-11-2014: Page published.
In Boston (Fleetwood) ownership. Did not fish from the port.
Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson
Official Number: 162877
Yard Number: 957
Gross Tonnage: 399
Net Tonnage: 151
Length: 155.0 ft
Breadth: 26.4 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank on Tees
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough
21.8.1933: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank on Tees (Yd.No.957) for Consolidated Fisheries Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as HUDDERSFIELD TOWN. 9.1933: Completed. Cost to build £19,814.
25.9.1933: Registered at Grimsby (GY521). Sir John Denton Marsden, Bart appointed manager.
1.8.1939: Landed prior to survey and Admiralty trials.
9.1939: Sold to The Admiralty for the sum of £22,617 and fitted out as an anti-submarine trawler (1-4.7”, AA weapons, ASDIC, DC, later Radar)(P.No.FY.197).
2.10.1939: Lieut Cdr James G. C. Gibson RN (Rtd) appointed CO.
25.1.1940: Grimsby registry closed. Based Milford Haven with 8th A/S Group.
1941: Skr. John H. Consadine RNR appointed CO.
12.9.1943: Sk. Lieut. Magnus A. Smith appointed CO.
1944: Assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
5.6.1944: Escort to Assault Convoy S14A.
6.6.1944: Arrived Utah Beach. Escorted work barges to beach.
7.6.1944. Returned Solent escorting hospital ship. Then escort duties in Western Task Force area.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
9.1.1945: Picked up 62 survivors from American steamer JONAS LIE (7198grt/1944) (Capt Carl L. Von Schoen) torpedoed and badly damaged by U-boat (U1055) when outside the Bristol Channel in position 51.45N 05.27W whilst on passage Milford Haven to New York.
10.1.1945: Rescue tug HMS STORMKING (P.No.W87) (700disp/1942) sailed Milford Haven.
11.1.1944: At casualty, transferred salvage crew, connected and commenced tow.
12.1.1945: Tow parted in heavy seas. Steam tug EMPIRE SPRITE (242grt/1942) came on scene but was unable to connect.
13.1.1945: In heavy seas again attempted to re-connect but steamer started to settle and in afternoon salvage crew taken off.
14.1.1945: Vessel foundered.
1945: Sk. Charles B. Scott RNR appointed CO.
20.10.1945: A Control Committee was formed to manage Hull and Grimsby trawlers which had been bought by the Admiralty pre war and were being offered for sale back by Admiralty Deal to their original owners. The owners who bought back these vessels and wanted to take part in the scheme agreed to register the trawlers under the Hull Ice Co. Ltd and profits were shared. Management of the trawlers was given to the companies which had bought them.
11.1945: Repurchased from the Admiralty through the Hull Ice Co Ltd, Hull Control Committee (Admiralty Deal) allocated Consolidated Fisheries Ltd, Grimsby to be paid for in four installments – total £14,750.
4.1946: Refurbished and surveyed at Newport, Mons.
18.4.1946: Registered at Grimsby (GY261). Thomas Rowan Ronald appointed manager.
16.11.1946: Sold to Consolidated Fisheries Ltd, Grimsby.
11.3.1947: Sir John Denton Marsden, Bart appointed manager.
2.7.1962: Registered at Grimsby as LEEDS UNITED (GY261) to free name for new build.
6.6.1963: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. Basil Arthur Parkes appointed manager.
9.1963: Sold to Brugse Scheepssloperij NV, Brugge, Belgium.
20.9.1963: Grimsby registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
06/05/14: Page created
07/05/14: Picture 2 added, information updated
Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow
Admiralty Number: 4214
Official Number: 144363
Yard Number: 437
Gross Tonnage: 274.39
Net Tonnage: 108.61
Length: 125.0 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Built: John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Fraser & Chalmers Ltd, Erith
Boiler: Palmers Shipbuilding & Iron Co Ltd, Hebburn-on-Tyne
1919: Launched by John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.437) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as THOMAS LAWRIE (Ad.No.4214).
04.04.1919: Advertised for sale.
10.4.1919: Tenders to be received by 12 o’clock noon.
01.10.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel ex fishing gear.
1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
3.2.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I & IV) as THOMAS LAWRIE O.N.144363 (LO318).
13.8.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
3.1921: At HM Dockyard, Devonport completed fitting out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Plymouth.
1.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed. Laid up.
17.10.1922: Advertised for sale.
12.1924: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby. Fred Parkes, Wyberton, Boston designated manager.
9.12.1924: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
6.2.1925: London registry closed.
13.2.1925: Registered at Grimsby (GY208).
5.3.1925: Registered at Grimsby as SOMERSBY (GY208) (BoT Minute No.1008 dated 24.1.1925).
1926: Fred Parkes, Blackpool designated manager.
14.7.1926: Mortgage (A) discharged.
15.7.1926: Sold to Oscar Dahl, La Rochelle.
3.8.1926: Grimsby registry closed.
8.1926: Registered at La Rochelle as LES BARGES II.
21.11.1939: At 12.50 pm in Bay of Biscay in company with several Spanish fishing vessels, torpedoed by U-boat (U41), fifteen crew abandoned before vessel foundered in position 45.35N 3.22W. Survivors picked up by Spanish fishing vessel Paz y Trabajo.
12.1939: La Rochelle registry closed.
03/05/14: Information updated.
26/01/2017: Information updated.