Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall
Official Number: 98291
Yard Number: 131
Gross Tonnage: 139
Net Tonnage: 45
Length: 95 ft
Breadth: 23.3 ft
Depth: 10.5 ft
Built: J. P. Rennoldson & Sons, South Shields
Engine: C.2-cyl by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons, South Shields
1891: Launched by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons, South Shields (Yd.No.131) for The Steam Trawling Co of Boston Ltd, Boston as STURGEON.
6.1891: Registered at Boston (BN17). William Foxton Beaumont appointed manager.
1.1892: Awarded the sum of £73.10s in connection with services rendered to the brig PATRIE.
3.1892: Admiralty High Court gave judgement on a consolidated salvage suit, the owners & crews were awarded £2,400 in connection with trawlers assisting the Liverpool registered four masted ship WILHELM TELL (3107grt/1891) on the SE end of the Dogger Bank on or about 11. and 12.12.1891 and delivering her to Grimsby.
25.01.1895: Went to the assistance of the Boston steam trawler KIRTON (BN187) with bridge swept away in heavy seas with the loss of the skipper, Thomas Hughes and Third Hand George Hildred. Connected and in severe weather and heavy seas delivered safely to Boston.
1897: Sold to The Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Boston. James Bloomfield appointed manager.
27.03.1898: Norwegian barque PACIFIC of Tvedestrand, reported abandoned and waterlogged in position 55.0N 01.0E.
28.03.1898: Found, connected and delivered Grimsby Roads and later beached. Owners and crew were subsequently awarded £260.
1902: Fred Donnison appointed manager.
1907: Daniel Walker appointed manager.
1909: Fred Parkes appointed manager.
1911: Fishing from Fleetwood.
1.9.1911: At Whitehaven Magistrates Court, Sk. John Reader was fined £10 for trawling inside the three mile limit off St. Bees Head.
6.1913: Sold to William Chrystie Duncan, Middlesbrough for the sum of £775.
26.6.1913: Boston registry closed. Converted to a tug. Registered at Middlesbrough as IDA DUNCAN. Charles William Duncan appointed manager.
8.7.1914: Sold to Charles Duncan & Sons Ltd, Middlesbrough.
31.1.1917: Proceeding from Middlesbrough to Tees Bay, mined approximately 11/2 miles E from South Gare Lighthouse (mine laid by U-boat (UC32)). All six crew members lost.
2.1921: Wreck dispersed by explosives.
Crew: Capt Lionel Duncan (29), Master; Robert Tinmouth (56), Mate; Charles Chrystal Duncan (30), Engineer; Thomas Walker (47) and Henry Charles Scott (19), fireman; James Gibson (16), deck boy.
29-11-2014: Page published.