Official Number: 124578
Yard Number: 447
Gross Tonnage: 248
Net Tonnage: 94
Length: 125.6 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 11.9 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
21.11.1908: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd. No.447) for Chant & Paddon, Plymouth (James Chant & Herbert W. Chant, managers) as PELICAN I.
12.1908: Completed. Registered at Plymouth (PH98).
11.11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No. 527).
1919: Returned to owner.
1919: Sold to Red Rose Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
2.1919: Plymouth registry closed.
22.2.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD7).
1921: Fishing from Aberdeen.
1924: New Docks Steam Trawling Co, Fleetwood) Ltd designated managers.
1927: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (C. H. Friswell, manager).
18.4.1928: Renamed CEVIC (FD7).
14.8.1931: At Campbeltown Sheriff Court, Sk. John Thomas Newton admitted a charge of illegal trawling in the Firth of Clyde following arrest by HMS SPEY and was fined £50 with forfeiture of net and gear.
8.11.1931: Homeward from fishing grounds in early morning in poor weather stranded on Jura side of Sound of Islay. Salvage steamer RANGER (409grt/1880) and salvage surveyor in attendance. Later refloated and berthed alongside Port Askaig Pier. Subsequently returned to service.
6.6.1933: In the evening in thick fog 2 miles NW of the Point of Ayre, Isle of Man in collision with EXMOUTH (FD336) sustaining damage. At 11.30 pm. berthed at Ramsey, badly damaged and making water. EXMOUTH with damaged stem returned to Fleetwood.
9.3.1943: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out as a fuelling trawler (33ton tank for refuelling diesel landing craft) (P.No.Y.7.16) (Hire rate £62.0.0d/month).
3.1944: Fitted out as a water carrier. Assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
23.5.1944: Assigned as a water carrier to Force O.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
8.1944: Returned to owner.
6.5.1953: Last landing at Fleetwood.
5.1953: Sold to John W. Johnstone, Aberdeen.
1953: Fleetwood registry closed.
1953: Registered at Aberdeen (A722).
4.1957: Sold for breaking up.
Official Number: 163935
Yard Number: 596
Gross Tonnage: 314
Net Tonnage: 138
Length: 133.2 ft
Breadth: 24.5 ft
Depth: 12.9 ft
Engine: 154NHP T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Speed : 11.4 knots
23.4.1934: The Board of Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd decided to exercise their option with Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd to build two more middle water trawlers to the same design as the AVANTURINE (Yd.No.542) but with amendments in respect of hull dimensions. Contracts were signed with the shipyard and with C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd to make the engines and boilers. The price agreed was £13,854 each vessel. The names chosen were ARAGONITE and ACHROITE (The last of nine trawlers built to this design and also the last middle water trawler to be built for Kingston).
Total cost for ACHROITE, with amendments, fishing gear and other equipment £14,808.2.0d.
30.6.1934: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.596) for the Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as ACHROITE . (Named by Mrs A. Bird wife of a director of Kingston).
4.8.1934: Registered at Hull (H81).
9.8.1934: Completed trials and accepted, John William Lown, manager.
11.8.1934: Sailed on first trip (Sk. John Stephenson); ten crew.
26.8.1934: Landed (no details).
1938: In Princess Dock, Hull. Boiler fitted with superheater by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd at a cost of £1,474.18.5d.
15.8.1939: Sailed for Faroes grounds (Sk. W. Swain).
29.8.1939: Landed 940 kits grossed £764.
30.8.1939: Admiralty telegram advising that ACHROITE would be requisitioned (This left Kingston with only two trawlers AVANTURINE (H197) and EUCLASE (H384) fishing from Hull in armed convoys).
31.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service (Hire rate £188.8.0d/month).
1939: On St. Andrew’s dock slip fitted with bronze propeller and additional lifesaving appliances (carley floats). Cost £274.19.0d.
2.9.1939: Sailed Hull for Govan with an RN crew. Fitted out as a minesweeper by Alexander Stephen & Sons Ltd (1-12pdr) (P.No.FY.914).
3.10.1939: Inspected at Troon after reportedly touching bottom in Sound of Islay; no damage found.
1940: Based Peterhead with M/S Group 19 (Sk. G. W. H. Mortlock RNR).
1.1941: Based Grimsby.
1942: Remained at Grimsby (Act. Sk. Lieut J. Stewart RNR).
15.1.1946: Arrived West Hartlepool for restoration by F. O. Kindberg (6 months due to shortage of materials and labour).
12.8.1945: Arrived Hull slipped for various work and Special.
20.8.1945: Returned to owner.
21.8.1945: Sailed for North Sea grounds (Sk.W. Swain).
3.9.1945: Landed 791 kits grossed £2,722.
11.8.1949: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Leslie James Marr, manager) for £35,000 en bloc with IOLITE (H372) for £37,500, total £72500. Fishing from Hull (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Brough, manager).
29.1.1953: Transferred to Fleetwood.
1956: Geoffrey Alan Marr appointed manager.
11.5.1960: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Richard Neave, Thornton, manager).
1963: Sold to Haulbowline Industries Ltd, Passage West, Co.Cork.
4.2.1963: On passage Fleetwood-Cork had engine trouble(?) off Coninbeg Light-vessel and put in to Rosslare, Co. Wexford. 6.2.1963: Broke adrift and driven ashore on the Rosslare Strand, 5 miles north-east of Rosslare Light. Eight crew taken off.
10-11.2.1963: In a full storm driven further ashore ending up on beach 2 miles north of Rosslare.
28.3.1963: Hull registry closed “Vessel total loss”.
1963: Wreck sold to P. Roche, Killinick, Co Wexford, stripped of non-ferrous and other usable materials and abandoned.
1986/87: Dispersed by explosives but still visible when sands move.
(Note. Building instalment costings:
1.6.1934: 1st payment – £3,463.10.0d
11.6.1934: 2nd payment – £3,463.10.0d
6.7.1934: 3rd payment – £3,463.10.0d
19.8.1934: Final – £3,463.10.0d Total – £13,854.0.0d
BOT Fees – £4.15.6d
Click to enlarge images
Admiralty Number: 4256
Official Number: 144393
Yard Number: 899
Gross Tonnage: 324
Net Tonnage: 324
Length: 138.3 ft
Breadth: 23.7 ft
Draught: 148 ft
Engine: 12.7 hp
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
28.6.1919: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.899) (“Mersey” class) for The Admiralty as ROBERT MURRAY.
23.2.1920: Registered by The Admiralty as a fishing vessel at London (LO337)
5.3.1920: Delivered. Laid up.
28.3.1923: Transferred to Irish Free State Government, Dublin.
28.3.1923: London registry closed.
3.1923: Registered in Dublin.
4.5.1923: Commissioned in the Irish Free State Coastal & Marine Service, Dublin.
31.3.1924: Decommissioned. Transferred to Office of Public Works, Dublin for sale.
26.1.1926: Sold to George L. Young & Richard M. Fleming, Culdaff, Co. Donegal.
2.1926: Sold to Cygnet Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas Cardwell, manager).
2.1926: Dublin registry closed.
11.2.1926: Registered at Fleetwood (FD90).
19.4.1927: Sailed Fleetwood for St. Kilda with a survey party, mails and provisions.
1929: Fleetwood top trawler (558 tons).
1935: Fleetwood top trawler (576 tons).
14.4.1938: Sold to Thomas Cardwell & Robert H. Bagshaw, Fleetwood (R. W. Mason, manager).
26.5.1938: Renamed NORTHLYN (FD90).
27.6.1939: Sold to Robert H. Bagshaw, Fleetwood.
7. 10.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (P.No.Z.103) (Hire rate £105.6.0d/month).
18.11.1943: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Richard Neave, manager).
7.12.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T.
23.5.1944: Assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
1945: Based at Portsmouth (Fraser & White Ltd, Portsmouth, agents).
11.1945: Paid off, C&M at Rosyth.
12.1.1946: Fleetwood registry closed.
7.3.1947: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Richard Neave, manager). Re-registered at Fleetwood (FD90).
4.1.1955: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
4.1955: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
21.4.1955: Delivered to Bruges.
(Robert Murray. OS (volunteer), age 24, b. London – VICTORY (SB288))
Click to enlarge images
Additional material courtesy of Bill Blow
Admiralty Number: 3831
Official Number: 143857
Yard Number: 838
Gross Tonnage: 325
Net Tonnage: 130
Length: 138.3 ft
Breadth: 23.7 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Engine: 600ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Son Ltd, Selby
1918: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.838) (“Mersey” Class) for The Admiralty as WILLIAM JACKSON (Ad.No.3831).
27.4.1918: Completed (1-12pdr, hydrophone and W/T).
3.2.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London as a fishing vessel (LO293) Official No.143857.
6.1921: Sold to Pickering & Haldane’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (John McCann & Edward Cartwright, managers).
7.1921: Converted to a fishing vessel by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.754) – 327g
11.6.1921: London registry closed. Cochrane & Sons Ltd contracted to refurbish as a fishing trawler, allocated yard No.754.
5.7.1921: Registered at Hull (H288).
18.8.1921: Registered at Hull as LORD BYNG (H288).
24.1.1929: Sold to The Bunch Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
29.1.1929: Walter Crampin appointed manager.
28.1.1929: Hull registry closed.
29.1.1929: Registered at Grimsby (GY9). Fitted for lining to pursue the Greenland halibut fishery.
16.10.1930: Herbert G. Crampin appointed manager.
18.9.1935: Vessel (64/64) mortgaged to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (A).
18.5.1936: Mortgage (A) discharged.
19.5.1936: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood.
26.5.1936: Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys appointed manager.
13.6.1936: First landing at Fleetwood 337 boxes grossed £546.
28.7.1936: Registered at Grimsby as EVELYN ROSE (GY9) (BoT Minute RG No.1305/1936 dated
29.7.1936.. Operating out of East Coast ports.
1939: Transferred to Fleetwood.
27.11.1939: Vessel mortgaged to Midland Bank Ltd, London (B).
Pre 4.1940: Employed on Fishery Protection (WAS/Fort William/Fleetwood).
26.5.1940: At 6.57pm. ‘Operation Dynamo’ (Dunkirk evacuation) put into effect.
27.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service (Hire rate £98.2.0d/month) (Ty/Sk. A. J. Lewis).
1.6.1940: To Dunkirk, embarked 150 troops. Returning struck wreck and lost one propeller blade. Badly damaged by air attack, beached at Ramsgate. Repaired and fitted out for auxiliary patrol duties (P.No.4.136).
5.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper.
15.11.1942: Mortgage (B) discharged.
1945: Returned (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
7.8.1945: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood.
13.8.1945: Richard Neave appointed manager.
22.11.1949: Homeward from an Icelandic trip (Sk. Pegler);
twenty-two crew. Stranded in darkness while on passage through the Sound of Islay.
23.11.1949: Twelve crew members taken off by Port Askaig lifeboat and returned to standby. Concrete poured into vessel in early forenoon but could not seal the hull. 24.11.1949: Part catch discharged to CEVIC (FD7) for shipment to Fleetwood.
26.11.1949: Part catch landed (£780 gross).
2.12.1949: Refloated and berthed at Port Askaig Pier.
12.1949: Returned to Fleetwood.
2.1950: Repairs completed and returned to fishing.
30.12.1954: Early morning sailed Fleetwood for Faroe fishing grounds (Sk. William Dawson); thirteen crew.
31.12.1954: At 12.30 am. stranded about 15 yds from Ardtornish Light, Morven while in transit through the Sound of Mull in southerly wind, fresh breeze, good visibility. While attempting to launch boat, slipped off rocks and foundered quickly; two survivors* walked five miles to nearest habitation. (Position of wreck is uncertain possibly located in 130m, 400m from shore. (Original loss in approx position 56°31N/5°45W in 60-80m)). Grimsby registry closed.
23.7.1955: At MoT formal inquiry (S.433) at Fleetwood the court found Sk. Dawson had made an error in navigation by misinterpreting the image on the radar screen, resulting in the vessel stranding.
(William Jackson, OS (volunteer), age 28, b. Edinburgh – VICTORY (SB94))
(* Survivors – William Crawford (40), Mate, Fleetwood and Ernest Meyer (33), deckhand, Great Harwood)
(Lost – Sk. W. Dawson, Fleetwood; C. Holder, Bosun, Fleetwood; R. Barton Ch Eng, Fleetwood: R. Leadbetter, 2nd Eng, Fleetwood; K. Atkins, Wythenshaw, J. Salthouse, Blackpool,
C. Chard, Fleetwood, A. McDermott, Fleetwood, C. R. Holden and R. W. E. Barlow, Deckhands. L. F. Evans, Blackpool and D. J. Rees, Fleetwood, Firemen; H. Saunders, Bradford,
Cook.L. J. Evans; C. R. Holdon; R. Leadbetter; R. W. E. Barlow & J. Salthouse.) NOTE Two names are missing.
Click to enlarge image
Picture courtesy of Barry Johnson (www.milfordtrawlers.org.uk)
Official Number: 162060
Yard Number: 537
Gross Tonnage: 222
Net Tonnage: 99
Length: 115 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.7 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby, 1912
Engine: 70NHP T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Speed: 10 knots
29.8.1912: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.537) for Soc. Anon des Pêcheries à Vapeur, Ostend, Belgium
9.10.1912: Completed. Registered at Ostend (O81).
28.10.1914: Commenced fishing from Milford.
6.2.1915: On the Irish grounds (Capitaine Louis Philippe Dedrie), sighted the TERESAE of Genoa in difficulties. In choppy seas and WNW strong breeze connected and commenced tow to Milford.
8.2.1915: Delivered Milford after stormy passage.
27.10.1916: Fishing off the Smalls in gale force conditions (Capitaine Louis Philippe Dedrie) sighted smack FIERY CROSS (R281) with damaged mizzen and no steerage. With difficulty hauled net and connected to casualty to tow her clear of the Smalls. At 2330 in heavy seas, tow parted.
28.10.1916: At dawn in blinding rain ENE of the Smalls the tow was reconnected but at 2330 making for the entrance at St. Ann’s Head the tow parted again. Just before midnight tow was reconnected.
29.10.1916: At 1330 delivered Milford.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve (with owners permission).
12.6.1917: On Irish grounds (Capitaine Louis Philippe Dedrie) at 0100 picked up a boat with twent-three survivors from the BAY STATE (6583grt/) torpedoed (10.6) by U.66 250 miles NW of Fastnet.
18.6.1917: Sailed Milford for fishing grounds off Ireland (Capitaine Louis Philippe Dedrie).
20.6.1917: Picked up eighteen crew members of ENGLISH MONARCH (4947grt/1905) torpedoed without warning three days previously (18.6) by U.24 300 miles NW of Fastnet (52.06N 17.30W). Survivors in poor shape after 60 hours in boat. Set course for Milford.
21.6.1917: Stopped by two patrol vessels and told not to proceed as enemy submarine in the area. Landed survivors at Queenstown and returned to fishing.
2.7.1917: Off Bull Rock (Capitaine Louis Philippe Dedrie) at about 2300 picked up twenty-four survivors of the Italian steamer PHOEBUS (3133grt/1894) torpedoed (30.6) by UC.44 off Berehaven. Hoisted boat and proceeded to Milford.
3.7.1917: Transferred survivors to RN sloop.
1917: Fitted with 6pdr gun at Swansea.
4 12.1917: Fishing south of the Smalls (Capitaine Louis Philippe Dedrie). in company with EMMANUEL (O87), ARIES (M97) and LOLIST (LT427). About 6.00 am. a submarine surfaced about 11/2 miles away. Trawlers hauled and under smoke screen, Capt Dedrie hoisted White Ensign and zig-zagged at speed towards the submarine firing all the time. Pursued submarine for 18-20 miles before he submerged.
1919: Released. John Bauwens, manager.
30.12.1919: Last landing at Milford.
23.11.1928: About 10 miles ENE of the Smalls, stood by Belgian trawler LUCIENNE-JEANNE (O153) (S.A. Pêcheries du Nord, Ostend) in distress.
4.1930: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Charles H. Friswell, manager).
4.1930: Ostend registry closed.
4.4.1930: Registered at Fleetwood as ISER (FD79).
10.8.1932: Arrived Tobermory with Belgian trawler ALBERT (O75) (Pêcheries à Vapeur, Ostend) in tow picked up 12 miles off Helsker with net fouling propeller.
22.6.1935: Caught by two Irish Civic Guards disguised as fishermen, when fishing within proscribed area off Glengad Head and taken into Lough Swilly; Skipper Somers landed at Letterkenny to be tried; fined £37. Fleetwood trawlers seen as a “poaching menace”.
Pre 8.1938: Laid up at Fleetwood.
2.1943: Sold to R. G. Parsley, Milford Haven (Don Trawling Co (Milford Haven) Ltd).
15.10.1948: When off St. Ann’s Head (Sk. E. Bracher), contacted by STAR OF PEACE (M133) (Sk. J. Mair) which had sprung a leak. Crew taken onboard, but Sk. Mair stayed behind; at 7.00 a.m. connected and commenced tow. At 9.30 a.m. Sk. Mair left the ship and shortly afterwards she went down. 12.05 p.m. Crew landed at Milford.
20.8.1953: Last landing at Milford.
1.1954 Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
9.1.1954: Arrived Castle Pill, Milford Haven.
1954: Fleetwood registry closed.
Click to enlarge imagePrivate