Official Number: 127091
Yard Number: 513
Gross Tonnage: 242
Net Tonnage: 94
Length: 120 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.7 ft
Engine: 66 hp T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons, Selby
7.12.1911: Launched by Cochrane & Sons, Selby (Yd.No.513) for The Western Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Bristol as ALNMOUTH.
8.2.1912: Completed (Sydney Morgan Price, Milford, manager). Registered at Bristol (BL15).
7.1914: Sold to The Admiralty and fitted out as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.12).
1.6.1916: Assisted in salving London steamer PARKGATE (3232grt/1906).
7.1919: Sold to Vulcan Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, managers).
24.07.1919: Bristol registry closed.
26.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD335).
1924: William W. Brierley appointed manager.
21.9.1926: Sold to George K. Grimmer, Aberdeen.
7.10.1926: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.10.1926: Registered Aberdeen (A196).
1931: Sold to Corue Frères et Cie, Dieppe.
5.5.1931: Aberdeen registry closed.
5.1931: Registered at Dieppe as La MANCHE.
1935: Sold to The Hewett Fishing Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood (Robert S. Hewett, manager).
11.12.1935: Registered at London as ROYALIST (LO90).
27.8.1940: Requisitioned for war service.
29.8.1940: Returned to owner.
1960: Renamed ROYALIST II.
6.1960: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
11.7.1960: Arrived Preston from Fleetwood under own power.
7.1960: London registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
28/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
18/05/2016: Changed picture.
Official Number: 116137
Yard Number: 341
Gross Tonnage: 230
Net Tonnage: 84
Length: 125 ft
Breadth: 21.7 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Engine: 70NHP T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull
14.2.1902: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.341) for Pickering & Haldane’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as OPHIR.
21.3.1903: Registered at Hull (H725).
6.4.1903: Completed (H. A. L. Russell, manager).
1.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an armed trawler (1-12pdr, 1-6pdr HA & 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.1204).
2.1915: Renamed OPHIR III.
17.4.1915: Registered at Hull as Ophir III (H725).
4.10.1918: Sold to Weston W. Crampin, Grimsby (managing owner).
21.10.1918: Hull registry closed.
24.10.1918: Registered at Grimsby (GY1220). Based Harwich.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
2.1919: Sold to The Crampin Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Herbert G. Crampin, manager).
2.1933: Sold to Walker Steam Trawl Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Thomas Walker, manager).
1.2.1933: Grimsby registry closed.
9.2.1933: Registered at Aberdeen as STAR OF MORAY (A232).
1934: Sold to The Hewett Fishing Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood.
4.8.1934: Aberdeen registry closed.
9.8.1934: Registered at London (LO167).
29.9.1934: Registered at London as LADYLOVE (LO167).
7.1940: Requisitioned for war service and designated for minesweeping duties (P.No.FY.335).
10.1940: Returned to owner (Not recorded in Admiralty Folio MT65-467 A-L).
2.8.1941: Sailed Fleetwood for Icelandic grounds (Sk. Alfred C. Fletcher); thirteen crew.
24.8.1941: In evening after being involved in search, directed by aircraft, picked up three men in boat from Norwegian steamer INGER (1418grt/1930) (torpedoed at 2347 on 23.8.1941 by U-boat (U143) 30 miles from Butt of Lewis). Landed survivors at Stornoway.
25.8.1941: Sailed Stornoway.
27.8.1941: At 1435 U-boat (U.202) hit a trawler with a torpedo the vessel foundered in 15 seconds. Although no vessel identified, this must have been the LADYLOVE ; crew of fourteen lost*.
30.8.1941: Posted missing (Official date of death of crew members – 7.9.1941).
23.3.1942: London registry closed.
1.1915: Fitted with WT and Hotchkiss 12pdr, 6pdr HA and Bomb Thrower as an armed trawler (Ad.No.1204).
17.4.1915: Renamed Ophir III.(Ad.No.1204) and re-registered at Hull (H725).
By 1.10.1918: At Penzance (General Patrol and Escort work) (Lieut. RNR).
(Lost* – All Fleetwood unless stated. Sk. Alfred Crozier Fletcher (60), Analby; Thomas Brunt (44), Mate; John Dawson (44), Ch Eng; Walter Birkett (45), 2nd Eng; William Sharples (37), Bosun; Albert Chance (38), Hessle, John Thomas Mooney (33), Hull, Wilfred Thomas Liles (43), John Thomas Rossall (32), Blackpool, Thomas James Temple (38), Lowestoft & J. Millner (?), Deckhands; Stanley Smith (19) & Frederick Moss (42), Firemen; Norman Platt (45), Cook)
Click to enlarge image
27/01/2009: Page published. 5 revisions since then.
Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow
Official Number: 118920
Yard Number: 42
Gross Tonnage: 216
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 119.8 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Engine: 430ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
4.2.1904: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley (Yd.No.42) for Thomas Baskcomb (64/64), Grimsby as CARIAMA.
15.3.1904: Registered at Grimsby (GY4).
15.3.1904: Thomas Baskcombe designated managing owner.
3.1904: Completed (Thomas Baskcombe managing owner).
16.3.1904: Vessel mortgaged to George Jeffs, Grimsby for the sum of £2500 with interest at 5% (A).
5.10.1905: Mortgage (A) discharged,
6.10.1905: Sold to John Joseph Reading, Anerly Park, Surrey, William Alfred Reading, Beckenham, Kent and Edward Dickinson, Swansea (64/64 joint owners). Edward Dickinson designated managing owner.
6.6.1906: Edward Dickinson died.
16.8.1906: Probate granted. John Joseph Reading, Anerly Park, Surrey, William Alfred Reading, Beckenham, Kent (64/64 joint owners).
15.1.1907: Grimsby registry closed.
16.1.1907: Registered at Swansea (SA41).
12.2.1908: Sold to The Hector Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Swansea (Alexander Keay, manager).
1913: Fishing from Fleetwood.
17.1.1914: Sold to John Joseph Reading, Anerly Park & William Alfred Reading, Beckenham (64/64 joint owners).
1.1.1915: Sold to The Mersey Steam Trawlers Co Ltd (64/64), London (Ernest Taylor, Thornton-le-Fylde, manager).
4.1.1915: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Manchester & Liverpool District Bank Ltd, Manchester (B).
8.2.1915: Swansea registry closed.
9.2.1915: Registered at Fleetwood (FD107).
1915: Registered at Fleetwood as Meuse (FD107).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1922: Joseph A. & Harold Taylor appointed managers.
1924: W. J. Morley appointed manager.
1926: Sold after liquidation of The Mersey Steam Trawlers Co Ltd to W. Morley & Co, Fleetwood.
Pre 1930: Sold to Mrs C. B. Morley & A. Sharp (W. H. U. Morley, manager).
1930: Sold to Oceanic Trading Corporation (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood (W. H. U. Morley, manager).
1933: Sold to The Hewett Fishing Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood.
1936: Sold for breaking up.
3.2.1937: Fleetwood registry closed, breaking up completed.
Click to enlarge image
21/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
Official Number: 123276
Yard Number: 88
Gross Tonnage: 172
Net Tonnage: 65
Length: 110.2 ft
Breadth: 21.2 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Engine: 60HP T.3-cyl by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co. Goole
8.1906: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.88) for Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Hull (John E. A. Kelsall, London & George Beeching, Hull, managers) as COOT.
4.9.1906: Registered at Hull (H897).
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (2-12pdrs, 1-7.7” A/S Howitzer) (Ad. No.420).
3.1917: Fitted out to “Q” ship under names BURMAH, DORA, KIA ORA and LORNE (1-12pdr, 1-6pdr). Based Granton.
11.1918: Reverted to minesweeping role as COOT.
Post 12.3.1919 (1920): Returned to owner at Hull (John Slater, London, manager).
1924: Transferred to Fleetwood (John Slater, London, manager).
1930: Delete manager.
6.3.1936: Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd in voluntary liquidation.
1936: Fleet sold en bloc to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward) (Robert S. Hewett, Fleetwood, manager).
1937: Laid up in Fleetwood.
18.10.1937: Hull registry closed “Ceased fishing”.
5.1938: Sold to J. & E. Lumb, ?? for conversion to a private vessel. Renamed DORADE II.
1938: Fitted out as a private vessel by Nicholsons, Glasson Dock – 211g.
1938: Re-engined with twin diesel units 4 stroke 6-cyl 220bhp by National Gas & Oil Engines Ltd, Ashton-under-Lyne.
1.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service on examination service (P.No.4.340) (Hire rate £206.10.0d/month). Based Reykjavik, Iceland (Ty/Sk. J. F. Nuttall RNR).
2.10.1941: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T.
27.9.1945: Sold to Major H. W. Hall.
1945: Fitted out as a research and survey vessel – 208g 113n.
1946: Fitted out as a research and survey vessel. Renamed MANIHINE.
1955: Sold to Government of the Colony of Singapore, Singapore.
1961: Sold to East African Marine Fisheries Organisation, Zanzibar.
1964: Sold to East African Common Services Organisation, Mombasa .
1965: Managers became Southern Line Ltd, Mombasa.
1976: Sold to Institute of Marine Sciences, Zanzibar.
1978: Laid up in Zanzibar with no maintenance.
15.6.1979: Sold to ??,?? and used as a coaster on the East African coast.
198?: Laid up and abandoned at Dar es Salaam.
1992: Stripping commenced.
1997: Breaking up complete.
The ship changed hands for One Pound in 1961 and sailed for East Africa to join the East African Marine Fisheries Organisation based in Zanzibar. Three years later ownership was transferred to the East African Common Services Organisation based in Kenya. In 1965, management and maintenance were undertaken by Southern Line and Southern Engineering at Mombasa until 1976 when the vessel was sold to the Institute of Marine Sciences and based in Zanzibar. During the course of its research program the ship ranged far and wide across the Indian Ocean, and at one time went in search of the fabled Coelacanth. Laid up in Zanzibar, the vessel became derelict and eventually grounded. In May 1979, the ship was put up for sale by tender the bids closing on 15 June. After an overhaul the ship returned to service as a coastal trader before being beached in Dar es Salaam. In 1992 the ship was deleted from Lloyds Register and demolition began soon after. The remains finally disappeared in 1997.
Click to enlarge images
21/01/2009: Page published. 3 revisions since then.
02/11/2014: Picture added.
Official Number: 128944
Yard Number: 536
Gross Tonnage: 255
Net Tonnage: 100
Length: 125 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Engine: 85HP T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank on Tees, Middlesbrough
2.8.1913: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank on Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.536) for The Castle Steam Trawlers Ltd, Swansea (Crawford Heron, manager) as AMROTH CASTLE.
5.9.1913: Registered at Swansea (SA8).
8.11.1913: Mortgaged to De Eirste Rederlandsche Scheeps Verband Mastschappy, Dordrecht.
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr and W/T) (Ad.No.2665). Fitted as Leader. Based Falmouth.
9.10.1918: Sold to Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co (Grimsby) Ltd, Grimsby (John D. Marsden, manager).
1919: Returned to owner at Milford Haven.
1.4.1919: Mortgage discharged.
27.11.1923: Mortgaged to London Joint City & Merchants Bank Ltd, London.
9.1927: Owners re-styled Consolidated Fisheries Ltd (Sir John D. Marsden, manager).
25.6.1928: Off SW Ireland went to assistance of steam trawler MAGNOLIA (FD37) with propeller problems. Connected and commenced tow to Berehaven (Castletownbere), Co. Cork. MAGNOLIA foundered off Fastnet Rock and crew taken onboard and landed at Berehaven.
10.10.1933: Picked up two men from a motor yacht off Lundy Island which had been swamped and buffeted by violent weather.
4.1940: Employed on Fishery Protection.
11.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (1-12pdr) (P.No.4.120) (Hire rate £65.17.6d/month).
3.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper.
15.5.1942: Mortgaged discharged.
5.1942: Sold to The Hewett Fishing Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood (Robert H. Hewett, manager).
10.6.1942: Swansea registry closed.
12.6.1942: Registered at London (LO231).
5.1945: Returned and re-classed at Fleetwood.
1946: Registered at London as BRIDESMAID (LO231).
30.12.1948: Homeward from Icelandic grounds. In blizzard conditions, stranded on rocks off Port Askaig, Sound of Islay. Crew taken off by Islay lifeboat; vessel subsequently refloated by tug and returned to service.
1954: Robert S. Hewett appointed manager.
1959: Sold to Haulbowline Industries Ltd, Passage West, Cork for breaking up.
13.1.1960: Sailed Fleetwood for Cork.
15.1.1960: Delivered Passage West.
Note: The fourth BRIDESMAID in the Short Blue fleet. The first two being sailing trawlers and the third a steam powered fish carrier operating North Sea – Billingsgate.
Click to enlarge images
21/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
10/06/2016: Picture added.
19/01/2017: Removed disputed image.