Official Number: 123276
Yard Number: 88
Gross Tonnage: 171.91
Net Tonnage: 51.70
Length: 110.2 ft
Breadth: 21.1 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co. Goole, England.
Engine: 60hp T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
8.1906: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.88) for Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd (64/64), Hull as COOT.
4.9.1906: Registered at Hull (H897). John E. A. Kelsall, London & George Beeching, Hull designated managers.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 65.12 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (2-12pdrs, 1-7.7” A/S Howitzer) (Ad. No.420).
3.1917: Fitted out as a decoy trawler (“Q” ship) under names BURMAH, DORA, KIA ORA and LORNE (1-12pdr, 1-6pdr). Based Granton.
11.1918: Reverted to minesweeping role as COOT.
Post 12.3.1919 (1920): Returned to owner at Hull.
7.6.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank Ltd, London (A). John Slater designated manager.
6.3.1923: Mortgagee re-styled as Westminster Bank Ltd, London.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to William Augustus Hayward, Eastbourne.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd, London.
28.9.1928: Robert Burton designated manager.
16.9.1932: Charles Hugh Emerson designated manager.
10.1932: Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd in liquidation.
1.11.1932: Mortgage (A) transferred to Harold Frank Hayward, London; Maud Florence Katherine Rogers, Chelsea and Ernest Norton, London (joint mortgagees).
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
6.3.1936: At Extraordinary General Meeting at Hull, Kelsall Bros & Beeching Ltd placed in Creditors’ Voluntary Winding-up (Richard Field Helm of Messrs Hodgson Harris & Co, London appointed liquidators).
3.2.1937: By order of the mortgagee sold under mortgage (A) to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (Robert Scott Hewett & Harold Frank Hayward). Robert S. Hewett, Fleetwood designated manager.
6.3.1937: Arrived Fleetwood from Hull. Laid up.
7.10.1937: Sold to Joe Lumb (32/64) and Edward Lumb (32/64), Netherton, nr Huddersfield for conversion to a private vessel.
18.10.1937: Hull (Part IV) registry closed “Ceased fishing”.
20.10.1937: Registered at Fleetwood.
1938: Taken in hand by Nicholson’s yard at Glasson Dock for conversion to a yacht.
1938: Fitted out as a private vessel by Nicholsons (Glasson Dock) Ltd, Glasson Dock, Lancaster – 211g.
1938: Re-engined with twin diesel units 4 stroke 6-cyl 220bhp by National Gas & Oil Engines Ltd, Ashton-under-Lyne.
5.1938: After extensive work and conversion, registered at Fleetwood as DORADE II.
1.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service on examination service (P.No.4.340) (Hire rate £206.10.0d/month). Based Reykjavik, Iceland (Ty/Sk. J. F. Nuttall RNR).
2.10.1941: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T.
1945: Fitted out as a research and survey vessel – 208g 113n.
27.9.1945: Sold to Major H. W. Hall, ??
1946: Fitted out as a research and survey vessel. Renamed MANIHINE.
1955: Sold to Government of the Colony of Singapore, Singapore.
1961: Sold to East African Marine Fisheries Organisation, Zanzibar.
1964: Sold to East African Common Services Organisation, Mombasa.
1965: Managers became Southern Line Ltd, Mombasa.
1976: Sold to Institute of Marine Sciences, Zanzibar.
1978: Laid up in Zanzibar with no maintenance.
15.6.1979: Sold to ??,?? and used as a coaster on the East African coast.
198?: Laid up and abandoned at Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
1992: Stripping commenced.
1997: Breaking up complete.
The ship changed hands for One Pound in 1961 and sailed for East Africa to join the East African Marine Fisheries Organisation based in Zanzibar. Three years later ownership was transferred to the East African Common Services Organisation based in Kenya. In 1965, management and maintenance were undertaken by Southern Line and Southern Engineering at Mombasa until 1976 when the vessel was sold to the Institute of Marine Sciences and based in Zanzibar. During the course of its research program the ship ranged far and wide across the Indian Ocean, and at one time went in search of the fabled Coelacanth. Laid up in Zanzibar, the vessel became derelict and eventually grounded. In May 1979, the ship was put up for sale by tender the bids closing on 15 June. After an overhaul the ship returned to service as a coastal trader before being beached in Dar es Salaam. In 1992 the ship was deleted from Lloyds Register and demolition began soon after. The remains finally disappeared in 1997.
Click to enlarge images
21/01/2009: Page published. 3 revisions since then.
02/11/2014: Picture added.
17/01/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks.
01/01/2020: Updated information.
29/01/2021: Added an image.
02/02/2021: Added an image.