Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 139887
Admiralty Number: 4149
Yard Number: 500
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Built: John Chambers & Co Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft
Engine: 270ihp T.3-cyl by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Southtown, Gt Yarmouth
Boiler: Thomas Sudron & Co Ltd, Stockton-on-Tees

History

1919: Launched by John Chambers & Co Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.500) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as DISTANCE (Ad.No.4149).
20.1.1920: Completed as a fishing vessel.
1920: Transferred to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London and placed on sales list.
8.1920: Sold to Robert Boyle, North Shields.
26.8.1920: Registered at North Shields as LEONARD BOYLE (SN45). Robert Boyle designated managing owner.
1926: Sold to James R. Duthie, Andrew Duthie, Archibald Ritchie, Rosehearty; Alex Duthie, Andrew Duthie, Glasgow; Gilbert Peterkin, Richard Irvin & Sons Ltd, Fraserburgh.
28.4.1926: North Shields registry closed.
30.4.1926: Registered at Fraserburgh as DUNDARG (FR212). James R. Duthie, Rosehearty designated managing owner.
1938: Sold to Jane A. Duthie, Rosehearty.
1938: Sold to M. C. Lough & George Lough, Eyemouth. Fraserburgh registry closed. Registered at Berwick as EXCEL IV (BK260). James Lough designated managing owner.
3.10.1939: Requisitioned for war service and employed on port duties. (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
6.1940: Employed on transport duties.
8.1940: Based Kirkwall. Employed on miscellaneous naval duties.
7.1942: Based Anstruther. Employed on torpedo recovery and as a boom tender.
1945: Sold to Jackora Ltd, Lowestoft.
2.1946: Berwick registry closed.
7.2.1946: Registered at Lowestoft (LT171). Arthur C. Mitchell, Milford Haven appointed manager.
1950: Seasonal white fish trawling from Fleetwood.
13.4.1950: Best landing – 83 boxes £550 gross.
1955: Sold to Belgian shipbreakers.
22.5.1955: Sailed Lowestoft for Antwerp (Sk. Gowan) towing steam drifter JACKORA (LT129) also for breaking.
28.6.1955: Lowestoft registry closed.

Changelog
27/11/2015: Page [ublished.

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham (http://www.milfordtrawlers.org.uk/)

Technical

Official Number: 137640
Yard Number: 65
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 97
Net Tonnage: 42
Length: 85.5 ft
Breadth: 18.6 ft
Depth: 9.2 ft
Built: J. Lewis & Sons Ltd
Engine: T.3-cyl (No.136) and boiler (No.83) by J. Lewis & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen

History

1918: Launched by J. Lewis & Sons Ltd (Yd.No.65) (Admiralty standard drifter) for The Admiralty as MIRAGE (Ad.No.3926).
16.12.1918: Completed (1-6pdr).
31.7.1920: Transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal.
1920: Sold under HM Treasury mortgage agreement (Disposal of Admiralty Drifters to Ex-service Fishermen) to John Horne, Cockenzie (managing owner) for £6,500, reduced to £4,875; deposit paid £250.
24.7.1920: Registered at Granton as THORNTREE (GN73). Official No.137640.
20.7.1921: Fishing off Berwickshire coast (Sk. John Horne). Refused to stop when ordered by Fishery Board for Scotland vessel MAELSTROM (96grt/1919) after being observed fishing inside the legal limit off St. Abbs. Arrested after 60 mile chase and also charged with failing to display or concealing, name and port of registration. At Duns Sheriff Court fined a total of £140.
12.1924: Sold to Adam Vyse, North Shields & W. Wood, Cellardyke (John T. Graham, Anstruther, manager).
19.12.1924: Granton registry closed.
12.1924: Registered at Kirkcaldy (KY33).
1928: Sold to James Dougal, Eyemouth. Kirkcaldy registry closed. Registered at Berwick as MARY & JANE (BK271).
9.1939: Sold to Arthur C. Mitchell, Lowestoft.
20.3.1940: Registered at Lowestoft (LT129) as owned by Jackora Ltd, Lowestoft (Arthur C. Mitchell, manager).
4.4.1940: Registered at Lowestoft as JACKORA (LT129) (BoT Minute R.G.1400/1040 dated 11.3.1940).
1950s: Seasonal trawling for white fish from Milford, occasional landings at Fleetwood.
1.4.1950: Landed 111 boxes, £645 gross.
1955: Sold to Belgian shipbreakers.
22.5.1955: Sailed Lowestoft for Antwerp in tow of steam drifter EXCEL IV (LT171) (Sk. Gowan) also for breaking.
22.5.1955: Lowestoft registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T. Jackora LT129

S.D/T. Jackora LT129
Picture courtesy of Robert Durrant

Changelog

16/09/2013: Page published. 6 revisions since then.
29/07/2014: Picture added

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham (http://www.milfordtrawlers.org.uk/) and Robert Durrant (PLRS)

Technical

Official Number: 131875
Yard Number: 859
Completed: 1920
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Built: Lea Shipbuilding & Repairing Co, Canning Town
Engine: 270ihp T.3-cyl by David & R. B. Scott, Tayport
Boiler: Hewitt & Kellitt Ltd, Bradford.

History

1919: Launched by Lea Shipbuilding & Repairing Co, Canning Town (Yd.No.859) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as WIRLBLAST.
31.7.1920: Completed as a fishing vessel.
9.12.1920: Transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal. Laid up at Dundee.
1921: Sold under HM Treasury mortgage agreement (Disposal of Admiralty Drifters to Ex-service Fishermen) to David Watson, Cellardyke (Thomas Cunningham, Anstruther, manager) for £6,400 with no deposit paid, later reduced to £4,800; less £500 for defects found.
1921: Registered at Kirkcaldy as STELLA AURORAE (KY45). Official No.131875.
22.8.1922: Outstanding payments £716.13.4d capital, £396.14.4d interest.
9.1923: Paid up.
28.1.1925: Sold to Bloomfield’s Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth & J. Watt, Fraserburgh (Neil Mackay, Caister-on-Sea, manager). Kirkcaldy registry closed. Registered at Fraserburgh (FR54). 11.1929: Sold to Henry H. Catchpole, Lowestoft (managing owner).
11.1929: Fraserburgh registry closed.
26.11.1929: Registered at Lowestoft (LT116).
9.12.1929: Registered at Lowestoft as ABIDING FRIEND (LT116) (BoT Minute M/R.G.1526/29).
7.3.1938: Sold to Arthur C. Mitchell (42/64), Milford Haven & George Mitchell (22/64), Lowestoft (Arthur C. Mitchell, manager).
19.4.1938: Registered at Lowestoft as JACKEVE (LT116) (BoT Minute M/R.G.1149/38).
23.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (P.No.FY958) (Hire rate £32.16.0d/month).
.1943: Employed on miscellaneous naval duties.
4.4.1944: Sold to Haven Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (Robert Lewis, Milford Haven, manager).
14.11.1945: Returned to owner.
7.4.1946: Sold to W. H. Kerr Ltd, Milford Haven.
17.4.1946: Sold to Hamilton Fishing Co Ltd, Milford Haven (W. H. Kerr Ltd, managers).
1950s: Seasonal white fish trawling from Fleetwood.
1954: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Castle Pill, Milford Haven.
27.5.1955: Lowestoft registry closed.

1951 17 landings at Lowestoft, fished from Fleetwood between March and July.
1952 28 landings at Lowestoft, fished from Fleetwood between June and August including 9 landings from broken trips with engine and winch problems.
1953. No landings in Lowestoft, fished from Fleetwood, Padstow and Milford.
1954. 9 landings at Lowestoft, fished for 3 months from Fleetwood, 7 landings there and 3 broken trips with engine problems.
1955. No details, vessel scrapped.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 146492
Yard Number: 91
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 35
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by North British Engine Works Ltd, Whiteinch, Glasgow
Boiler: Edwind Danks & Co (Oldbury) Ltd, Oldbury
Built: Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad

History

1918: Launched by Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad (Yd.No.91) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as BLIZZARD.
30.7.1918: Completed (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.3971).
1921: Sold to Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (Walter Scott, manager).
11.7.1922: Registered at Hull as SATINSTONE (H585).
1.1925: Sold to Alexander C. Bruce & Peter Bruce, St. Combs, W. B. Ritchie & Peter Buchan, Fraserburgh, Charles L. Minty, Fraserburgh and R. Irvin & Sons Ltd, North Shields (Alexander C. Bruce managing owner).
29.1.1925: Hull registry closed.
30.1.1925: Registered at Fraserburgh as HARVEST GLEANER (FR73).
1938: Seasonal fishing from Fleetwood (Alex Keay agent).
5.1938: Shares sold to Charles L. Minty, Gardenstown & others and R. Irvin & Sons Ltd, North Shields.
17.5.1938: Registered at Banff (BF484).
25.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (Hire rate £26.0.0d/month).
28.10.1940: Off Suffolk coast attacked by German aircraft and subsequently foundered. Four crew lost*.
20.4.1943: Banff registry closed “Lost on Naval Service”.

(*Lost – Seymour Stephenson, Stoker PO; Maurice G. Langridge and Arthur Swaby, OS – killed. Charles A. L. Edwards, Stoker, died of wounds)

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional material courtesy of Roy Breech and Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 139996
Yard Number: 73
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 100
Net Tonnage: 42
Length: 89.9 ft
Breadth: 20.0 ft
Depth: 10.0
Engine: T.3-cyl by F. W. Carver & Co, Gt. Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Bros (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton-on-tees

History

1918: Ordered by The Admiralty from Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad (“Admiralty drifter”) as “WINDHOWL”.
17.12.1918: Order cancelled.
1919: Launched (Yd.No.73) for East Anglian Red Star Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Norwich as “HARNSER”.
3.12.1919: Registered at Lowestoft (LT627). John Victor Breech, Lowestoft, manager.
23.12.1919: Struck Lowestoft Pier causing damage.
24.4.1926: Sold to Jack Breech Ltd (64/64), Lowestoft (John Victor Breech, manager).
26.1.1928: Anchored off Buncrana, Co. Donegal, dragged and grounded when steam drifter SHEPHERD LAD (LT7) made fast alongside.
21.1.1933: Off Milford Haven rudder damaged.
1.9.1934: Off Peel, IoM in collision and damaged stem.
6.2.1937: At Lowestoft struck Inner Pier damaging stem.
1930s: Seasonal fishing in the Irish Sea and off west coast of Ireland, occasional landings at Fleetwood taking bunkers.
24.6.1938: At Fleetwood landed 300 small boxes of herring grossed £153.
5.1939: Sold to Bröderene Anda, Stavanger (John & Trygve Anda).
24.5.1939: Sailed Lowestoft for Norway.
1.6.1939: Lowestoft registry closed “Sold to Norwegians”.
1940: Registered at Stavanger as “ANKER I” following conversion.
2.1940: Converted to a purse seiner and cargo vessel.
2.1940: Converted to motor and fitted with 2-cyl Wichmann oil engine, (reconditioned by Haldorsen-Sonner, built 1920).
1.3.1940: Sold to Ola Olsen, Jakob & Konrad Jakobsen, Auklandshamn (Ola Olsen, manager). Registered at Haugesund. Employed as a coaster.
11.1940: Sold to Jacob Lindberg, Kjøpsvik. Registered at Bergen as KJØPSVIK. Employed seasonal fishing and as a coaster.
1964: Re-engined with 180bhp Wichmann oil engine.
1973: Sold to A/S Dyrøgutt, Gibostad. Renamed “DYRØGUTT”.
1973: Re-engined with 3-cyl 220bhp Brunvoll oil engin
197?: Sold to Leif Tøllefsen, Svolvaer.
197?: Sold to Arene Larsen, Henningsvaer.
198?: Sold to Harald Nygård, Hasvik. Renamed “HEIMSUND”.
1985: Condemned and deleted from Norwegian register.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T Harnser LT627

S.D/T Harnser LT627
Picture courtesy of Barry Banham

Read / Leave a Comment