Official Number: 146492
Yard Number: 91
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 35
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by North British Engine Works Ltd, Whiteinch, Glasgow
Boiler: Edwind Danks & Co (Oldbury) Ltd, Oldbury
Built: Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad
1918: Launched by Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad (Yd.No.91) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as BLIZZARD.
30.7.1918: Completed (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.3971).
1921: Sold to Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (Walter Scott, manager).
11.7.1922: Registered at Hull as SATINSTONE (H585).
1.1925: Sold to Alexander C. Bruce & Peter Bruce, St. Combs, W. B. Ritchie & Peter Buchan, Fraserburgh, Charles L. Minty, Fraserburgh and R. Irvin & Sons Ltd, North Shields (Alexander C. Bruce managing owner).
29.1.1925: Hull registry closed.
30.1.1925: Registered at Fraserburgh as HARVEST GLEANER (FR73).
1938: Seasonal fishing from Fleetwood (Alex Keay agent).
5.1938: Shares sold to Charles L. Minty, Gardenstown & others and R. Irvin & Sons Ltd, North Shields.
17.5.1938: Registered at Banff (BF484).
25.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (Hire rate £26.0.0d/month).
28.10.1940: Off Suffolk coast attacked by German aircraft and subsequently foundered. Four crew lost*.
20.4.1943: Banff registry closed “Lost on Naval Service”.
(*Lost – Seymour Stephenson, Stoker PO; Maurice G. Langridge and Arthur Swaby, OS – killed. Charles A. L. Edwards, Stoker, died of wounds)
Official Number: 125373
Yard Number: 542
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
1918: Lauched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.542) (“Admiralty” drifter) for The Admiralty as HORIZON (Ad.No.3905).
30.8.1918: Completed as a minesweeper (1-6pdr).
1945: Laid up.
1947: Sold to Robert W. Watt & A. Watt, Fraserburgh. Registered at Fraserburgh as HAMNAVOE (FR123)
1949: Sold to The Thule Fishing Co Ltd, Fraserburgh.
1951: Sold to Paul O. Williment, Gorleston. Fraserburgh registry closed. Registered at Yarmouth (YH117).
5/6.1952: Seasonal landing at Fleetwood.
1955: Sold to G. R. Newsom, Gt. Yarmouth & R. Hewett, Winterton. Registered at Yarmouth as AMARANTH (YH117).
1956: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
6.4.1956: Delivered Bruges.
Official Number: 132178
Gross Tonnage: 95
Net Tonnage: 40
Length: 89.2 ft
Breadth: 19.2 ft
Depth: 9.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Rose Street Foundry & Engineering Co Ltd, Inverness
Boiler: A. & W. Dalglish, Pollockshaws, Glasgow
1916: Completed by G. Walker, Nairn (Yd.No.?) for R. Tindall & Sons Ltd, Fraserburgh (R. Tindall & A. M. Cowie, Buckie) as GOLDEN SHEAF.
1916: Registered at Buckie (BCK223).
8.1916: Requisitioned for war service as an A/S net drifter (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.2749). Based Falmouth.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Findochty (R. Tindall & Sons, Buckiw).
1924: Buckie registry closed. Registered at Fraserburgh (FR20). Maxwell J. M. Tindall appointed manager.
1928: Owner R. Tindall & Sons Ltd, Fraserburgh (R. Tindall, Charles Summers, John Tait, Charles Summers Jnr, George Walker & James Stephen Melville). Alfred R. Tindall appointed manager.
Late 1930s: Seasonal white fish lining occasional landings at Fleetwood (Alex Keay managing agent).
1939: Sold to George Walker & Sons (Fraserburgh) Ltd, Fraserburgh & others.
9.2.1940: Requisitioned for war service employed on miscellaneous Naval duties (Hire rate £26.0.0d/month).
194?: Sold to C. Summers & Co, Fraserburgh.
31.8.1945: Returned to owner.
1949: Sold to Elizabeth Buchan, St. Combs & others.
1950: Sold for breaking up.
10.1951: Fraserburgh registry closed.
Additional material courtesy of Roy Breech and Barry Banham
Official Number: 139996
Yard Number: 73
Gross Tonnage: 100
Net Tonnage: 42
Length: 89.9 ft
Breadth: 20.0 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by F. W. Carver & Co, Gt. Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Bros (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton-on-tees
1918: Ordered by The Admiralty from Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad (“Admiralty drifter”) as “WINDHOWL”.
17.12.1918: Order cancelled.
1919: Launched (Yd.No.73) for East Anglian Red Star Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Norwich as “HARNSER”.
3.12.1919: Registered at Lowestoft (LT627). John Victor Breech, Lowestoft, manager.
23.12.1919: Struck Lowestoft Pier causing damage.
24.4.1926: Sold to Jack Breech Ltd (64/64), Lowestoft (John Victor Breech, manager).
26.1.1928: Anchored off Buncrana, Co. Donegal, dragged and grounded when steam drifter SHEPHERD LAD (LT7) made fast alongside.
21.1.1933: Off Milford Haven rudder damaged.
1.9.1934: Off Peel, IoM in collision and damaged stem.
6.2.1937: At Lowestoft struck Inner Pier damaging stem.
1930s: Seasonal fishing in the Irish Sea and off west coast of Ireland, occasional landings at Fleetwood taking bunkers.
24.6.1938: At Fleetwood landed 300 small boxes of herring grossed £153.
5.1939: Sold to Bröderene Anda, Stavanger (John & Trygve Anda).
24.5.1939: Sailed Lowestoft for Norway.
1.6.1939: Lowestoft registry closed “Sold to Norwegians”.
1940: Registered at Stavanger as “ANKER I” following conversion.
2.1940: Converted to a purse seiner and cargo vessel.
2.1940: Converted to motor and fitted with 2-cyl Wichmann oil engine, (reconditioned by Haldorsen-Sonner, built 1920).
1.3.1940: Sold to Ola Olsen, Jakob & Konrad Jakobsen, Auklandshamn (Ola Olsen, manager). Registered at Haugesund. Employed as a coaster.
11.1940: Sold to Jacob Lindberg, Kjøpsvik. Registered at Bergen as KJØPSVIK. Employed seasonal fishing and as a coaster.
1964: Re-engined with 180bhp Wichmann oil engine.
1973: Sold to A/S Dyrøgutt, Gibostad. Renamed “DYRØGUTT”.
1973: Re-engined with 3-cyl 220bhp Brunvoll oil engin
197?: Sold to Leif Tøllefsen, Svolvaer.
197?: Sold to Arene Larsen, Henningsvaer.
198?: Sold to Harald Nygård, Hasvik. Renamed “HEIMSUND”.
1985: Condemned and deleted from Norwegian register.
Click to enlarge image
Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham
Official Number: 162956
Yard Number: 245
Gross Tonnage: 120
Net Tonnage: 53
Length: 94.3 ft
Breadth: 28.7 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by S. Richards & Co Ltd, Lowestoft
Built: S. Richards & Co Ltd, Lowestoft
Note: Last steam drifter built in England
1931: Launched by S. Richards & Co Ltd, Lowestoft (Yd.No.245) for Alan Howard Watson, Lowestoft as MERBREEZE.
9.1931: Completed at a cost of £6,550. (Allan Howard Watson managing owner).
24.9.1931: Registered at Lowestoft (LT253).
1930s: Seasonal white fish trawling from Padstow and Fleetwood (William Head, Lowestoft, managing agent).
3.5.1932: Sold to P. W. Watson & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft (Alan Howard Watson, manager).
21.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (P.No.FY.953) (Hire rate £69.3.6d/month).
6.1940: Based Swansea (Ty/Sk. W. G. A. Thompson RNR).
1.1942: Based Londonderry (Ty/Lieut. H. Wright RNVR).
11.6.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T. Re deployed as a minesweeping drifter.
6.8.1943: Lowestoft registry closed.
10.1944: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
1946: Transferred to Ministry of Transport.
2.1948: Sold to P. W. Watson & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft (Allan H. Watson, manager).
27.2.1948: Registered at Lowestoft (LT365).
27.7.1955: Sold to The Breeze Co (Lowestoft) Ltd, Lowestoft (Allan H. Watson, Beccles, manager).
12.10.1955: Inward to Lowestoft, when some three miles off in collision with the Middlesbrough registered steamer NORTHUMBRIAN COAST (1180grt/1935) and sustained damage to stem and bow plating. Slipped at Lowestoft for repair
25.2.1958: Sold to Charles Henry Eastick, Gt. Yarmouth.
2.7.1959: Sold to Merbreeze Ltd, Lowestoft (John George Mitchell, manager).
14.10.1959: Completed conversion to motor by Richards Ironworks Ltd, Lowestoft and fitted with 6-cyl 360bhp 4 stroke oil engine by Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, Lincoln.
14.10.1959: Surveyed and re measured 122g 42n.
28.10.1959: Trials on completion of conversion to motor.
26.11.1975: Sold to Colne Fishing Co Ltd, Luton (John Leggett, Lowestoft, manager).
18.12.1975: Lowestoft registry (Part I) closed “Vessel no longer fishing”. Stripped of all usable parts including main engine.
1975: Engine removed, rebuilt by L.B.S. Engineering Ltd, Lowestoft and fitted in offshore platform standby safety vessel KINGFISH.
1976: Sold to T. G. Darling, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft for breaking up by East Anglian Reclamation Ltd at Nelson Wharf, Oulton Broad.
13.10.1976: Lowestoft registry (Part IV) closed “Vessel broken up”.
Click to enlarge images