Official Number: 96221
Yard Number: 338
Gross Tonnage: 159
Net Tonnage: 64
length: 100.9 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Built: Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
C.2-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
1890: Launched by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull (Yd.No.338) for The Grimsby Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as HELLENIC.
10.6.1890: Registered at Grimsby (GY252). Henry Kelly, Cleethorpes appointed manager. Fishing from Fleetwood.
16.10.1903: Richard “Dick” Bettess appointed skipper.
1912: George Edward James Moody, Cleethorpes appointed manager.
8.5.1915: Hauled mine in trawl which exploded, foundered 98 miles EbyS of Spurn Point in position 53.38N 03.01E. Swarte Bank minefield laid by German light cruisers of II Scouting Group, STRALSUND and STRASSBURG on 17.4.1915. Three lives lost.
17.5.1915: Grimsby registry closed. “ Sunk by a mine “.
29/01/2016: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of Geoff Davidson, Mike Thompson, Barry Banham and Hull Trawlers
Official Number: 91398
Gross Tonnage: 91.46
Net Tonnage: 62.19
Length: 86.7 ft
Breadth: 20.2 ft
Depth 9.8 ft
Built: Beeching Brothers Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth
Engine: C.2-cyl x 2 and boiler by Baird, St. Petersburg (built 1883)
1.1885: Launched by Beeching Brothers Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth (Not recorded) for George Beeching (32/64), Hull & Thomas Kelsall (32/64), Prestwich as TALIFOO.
3.2.1885: Registered at Hull (H1425).
3.2.1885: George Beeching designated managing owner.
2.4.1887: Arrived Hull with barque CARDENAS (259tons) of Rostock (Capt Karff) in tow, picked up off Flamborough Head dismasted in a squall, whilst on passage Wilmington, Delaware for ‘Shields with cargo of resin and turpentine. Tow was difficult in gale force winds and heavy sees and cable parted several times.
28.2.1888: Sailed Hull for North Sea grounds (Sk. William Clements): eight crew all told.
8.3.1888: Returning to Hull in a good breeze and light rain with the third hand on watch, shortly after 4.30am. and in total darkness some 120 miles from Spurn Head, observed a small vessel immediately ahead on the starboard tack, no lights visible. Put engines astern and ported helm but before way was off her, struck the schooner amidships port side cutting into her about four feet. The schooner was the Norwegian HAABET of BROVIG, out of Newcastle for Nariaga, cargo coals. The master of the schooner jumped onboard the trawler, the crewman who had been at the helm shouted to the mate and AB below deck and started to launch the boat, but the schooner foundered in eight to ten minutes, and all three men were left in the water. Hearing shouts, the boat was launched and the helmsman was picked up from the water and a search was made in the area for two and a half hours for the other two men but to no avail.
9.3.1888: Arrived Hull and landed survivors.
23.3.1888: At the BoT formal Investigation (No.3498) held at Hull the Court found the third hand of the TALIFOO, in default but the master in no respect to blame.
21.4.1889: At Hull landed captain and crew of the Danish schooner CARL EMIL. The schooner had left a Swedish port for West Hartlepool on 13.4 with a cargo of pit props and experienced a strong N breeze initially but on 19.4 a gale sprang up from the SW and labouring she started to take in water and later was dismasted. Signals of distress were hoisted and the TALIFOO responded taking off the crew. 20.4.1892: Reported the death of a crewman Joseph Ketley (25) of Hull. On a North Sea trip, whilst assisting to heave the gear and guiding the warp with a tackle on the drum of the winch, Ketley’s foot caught between the tackle block and the winch and he was dragged with the warp under the winch. The winch was stopped but Ketley, with the lower part of his body badly mutilated he was already dead. 1893?: Fishing from Fleetwood, catches sent by rail to Manchester and Liverpool Wholesale Fish Markets.
31.10.1894: Sailed Fleetwood for North Shields (Sk. John Dier); nine hands all told.
2.11.1894: At about 2.00am. in very hazy weather and thick rain, Ardnamurchan Point Light was made and vessel steamed towards it until the light was ESE. The course was then altered to NNE and continued until the light bore SE. No attempt was made to take a bearing and plot the position. At about 3.33am. vessel was heaved to until daylight with engines stopped and under plain sail with a heading SW to WSW. Wind was blowing strong from the south. The light was astern at a distance judged to be five to seven miles. It was expected the vessel would drift to the NW. At 3.40am. the skipper left the deck leaving orders to be called when when the light bore S or SbyE. At 5.00am the skipper was called and found the light S and the vessel had drifted NE and not NW. Engines were started half ahead and vessel kept on a WNW course but by 6.00am. the light was lost and the vessel was again hove to heading to the SW. At 6.30am. land was sighted astern just off the quarter at a distance of 1 to 11/2 miles. The skipper assumed that the island was Rum and putting the helm hard up steamed for what he thought was Canna Sound. The island was Muck and the vessel was attempting to steam between the island and the Horse Rocks which are connected by a ridge of rocks covered at high water. At 8 – 81/2 knots the vessel struck the ridge and came fast. At low water examination showed that the keel was broken and three blades of the propeller was missing.
3.11.1894: At 3.00pm. the weather started to deteriorate and the crew was taken off by a local boat.
5.11.1894: Following high winds and breaking seas the vessel had become a total wreck.
21.11.1894: Hull registry closed “Wrecked”.
29.11.1894: Reported that the Salvage Association had purchased the wreck.
30.11.1894: At the BoT formal Investigation (S93) held at Liverpool the court found that “The stranding of the vessel was due to the neglect of the master to verify his position off Ardnamurchan Point, and to use the lead; the Court is also of opinion that the master was not warranted in assuming that he had made the distance from Ardnamurchan Point to the island of Rum by 7.00am. considering the way in which the vessel had been navigated during the night. The subsequent loss of the vessel was due to heavy weather.” The skipper, John Dier was in default, and the Court suspended his certificate for six months.
Note. With the advent of the steam trawlers, the Talifoo built for Mr George Beeching, about 1885, was the first of the present kind – it is easier to battle against storms and loss of life has been reduced to as nearly the minimum as possible, and what is vital importance, inhumanity was buried with the birth of the steam trawler.
Note: With the advent of the steam trawlers, the TALIFOO built for Mr George Beeching, about 1885, was the first of the present kind – it is easier to battle against storms and loss of life has been reduced to as nearly the minimum as possible, and what is vital importance, inhumanity was buried with the birth of the steam trawler.
23/11/2015: Page published.
26/11/15: Information added.
13/12/2015: Updated information.
Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall
Official Number: 98291
Yard Number: 131
Gross Tonnage: 139
Net Tonnage: 45
Length: 95 ft
Breadth: 23.3 ft
Depth: 10.5 ft
Built: J. P. Rennoldson & Sons, South Shields
Engine: C.2-cyl by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons, South Shields
1891: Launched by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons, South Shields (Yd.No.131) for The Steam Trawling Co of Boston Ltd, Boston as STURGEON.
6.1891: Registered at Boston (BN17). William Foxton Beaumont appointed manager.
1.1892: Awarded the sum of £73.10s in connection with services rendered to the brig PATRIE.
3.1892: Admiralty High Court gave judgement on a consolidated salvage suit, the owners & crews were awarded £2,400 in connection with trawlers assisting the Liverpool registered four masted ship WILHELM TELL (3107grt/1891) on the SE end of the Dogger Bank on or about 11. and 12.12.1891 and delivering her to Grimsby.
25.01.1895: Went to the assistance of the Boston steam trawler KIRTON (BN187) with bridge swept away in heavy seas with the loss of the skipper, Thomas Hughes and Third Hand George Hildred. Connected and in severe weather and heavy seas delivered safely to Boston.
1897: Sold to The Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Boston. James Bloomfield appointed manager.
27.03.1898: Norwegian barque PACIFIC of Tvedestrand, reported abandoned and waterlogged in position 55.0N 01.0E.
28.03.1898: Found, connected and delivered Grimsby Roads and later beached. Owners and crew were subsequently awarded £260.
1902: Fred Donnison appointed manager.
1907: Daniel Walker appointed manager.
1909: Fred Parkes appointed manager.
1911: Fishing from Fleetwood.
1.9.1911: At Whitehaven Magistrates Court, Sk. John Reader was fined £10 for trawling inside the three mile limit off St. Bees Head.
6.1913: Sold to William Chrystie Duncan, Middlesbrough for the sum of £775.
26.6.1913: Boston registry closed. Converted to a tug. Registered at Middlesbrough as IDA DUNCAN. Charles William Duncan appointed manager.
8.7.1914: Sold to Charles Duncan & Sons Ltd, Middlesbrough.
31.1.1917: Proceeding from Middlesbrough to Tees Bay, mined approximately 11/2 miles E from South Gare Lighthouse (mine laid by U-boat (UC32)). All six crew members lost.
2.1921: Wreck dispersed by explosives.
Crew: Capt Lionel Duncan (29), Master; Robert Tinmouth (56), Mate; Charles Chrystal Duncan (30), Engineer; Thomas Walker (47) and Henry Charles Scott (19), fireman; James Gibson (16), deck boy.
29-11-2014: Page published.
Official Number: 121092
Yard Number: 417
Gross Tonnage: 267
Net Tonnage: 98
Length: 130.6 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12.0 ft
Built: A, Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: 450ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
26.10.1905: Launched by A, Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.417) for Pickering & Haldane’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as GENERAL GORDON.
24.11.1905: Registered at Hull (H844).
24.11.1905: Christopher Pickering appointed manager.
1906: Christopher Pickering appointed manager.
28.2.1913: Sold to Frank Buckworth (64/64), Cork, Co. Cork.
15.4.1913: Sold to Buckworth & Mumby Ltd (64/64), Cork, Co. Cork.
15.4.1913: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Metropolitan Bank (of England & Wales) Ltd, London (A).
11.7.1913: John Mumby, Milford Haven appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 105.66net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
14.5.1915: Company re-styled to Frank Buckworth & Co Ltd, Cork, Co. Cork.
4.3.1916: Mortgage (A) discharged.
4.3.1916: Sold to John Stewart Boyle (64/64), Glasgow.
8.3.1916: John Stewart Boyle designated managing owner.
3.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.3331). Based Kirkwall.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Aberdeen.
28.9.1920: Sold to Alexander Leitch (64/64), Chanak, Dardanelles, Turkey (Consent of Shipping Controller S3/21710/1 dated 20 Sept 1920).
29.9.1920: Alexander Leitch designated managing owner.
28.9.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Vincent Grech, London (B).
8.5.1922: Hull registry closed “… (except as relates to mortgage (B))”. Registered at Piraeus.
By 1927: Alexander Leitch registered office transferred to Athens.
1929: Sold to E. Ioannides & Alexander Leitch, Athens.
1929: Converted to dry cargo “For services in the Dardanelles”. 260grt 160net.
1929: Registered at Piraeus as STRATIGOS GORDON.
1931: Sold to Cie Egyptionne de Nav. Le Dedecanese, Alexandria.
1931: Registered at Alexandria as ELLEROS.
1931: Reverted to fishing. Re-measured to 265grt 106net.
24.7.1933: Returning to Alexandria, started to take in water, abandoned by crew and foundered some 40 n miles from the port. All crew picked up.
Additional information courtesy of Gary Hicks Plymouth Merchant Ships
Official Number: 108561
Yard Number: 597
Gross Tonnage: 171.35
Net Tonnage: 66.08
Length: 110.0 ft
Breadth: 21.0 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Built: Edwards Bros, North Shields
Engine: 350ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by MacColl & Pollock Ltd, Sunderland
27.9.1898: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.597) for Wilfred Jackson (64/64), Plymouth (managing owner) as FLUCIE FLOSS.
5.12.1898: Registered at Plymouth (PH404).
5.12.1898: Wilfred Jackson c/o J. K. Mackrill & Sons, Grimsby designated managing owner.
29.12.1898: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to James Harry Edwards & George Straker Falk Edwards, North Shields (joint mortgagees) (A).
5.5.1899: Mortgage (A) transferred to Arthur Leslie Melville & Eustace Abel Smith, Lincoln (joint mortgagees).
28.3.1900: Sold to Smiths Dock Co Ltd, North Shields.
31.3.1900: Eustace Smith, Grimsby appointed manager.
28.3.1900: Sold to The Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Boston.
4.4.1900: Mortgage (A) discharged.
9.4.1900: James Bloomfield appointed manager.
27.6.1900: Registered at Plymouth as SKIRBECK (PH404) (BoT Minute M10492 dated 25.6.1900).
27.6.1900: Plymouth registry closed.
6.1900: Registered at Boston (BN81).
By 1906: Fred Dennison appointed manager.
By 1909: Thomas D. Donaldson appointed manager). Fishing out of Fleetwood.
8.8.1910: Observed fishing and hauling inside the limits in Cardigan Bay.
23.9.1910: At Aberayron Magistrates Court, Sk. William Powley was charged with fishing inside the limits off Llandow, Cardigan Bay. Pleaded guilty and fined £15 and 3gns advocate’s fee.
1913: Daniel Walker appointed manager.
22.8.1914: On a North Sea trip (Sk. J. Baker), stopped by German minelaying cruiser SMS ALBATROSS, crew taken prisoner and trawler sunk by gunfire. Crew interned in Germany.
09.1914: Boston registry closed.
7.1915: Sk. Baker died in hospital due in no small part to the conditions in which he was detained.
Click to enlarge images
03/01/2014: Page published. 11 revisions since then.
30/11/2014: Information updated.