Technical

Admiralty Number: 3532
Official Number:147962
Yard Number: 711
Gross Tonnage: 275
Net Tonnage: 107
Length: 125.5 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank, Middlesbrough
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough

History

3.9.1917: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.711) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as WALTER BURKE (Ad.No.3532).
29.9.1917: Completed as an armed trawler.
12.1923: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Boston. Fred Parkes, Wyburton, Boston appointed manager.
2.1924: Registered at Boston (Part I & IV) as GONERBY O.N.147962 (BN5).
11.1924: Transferred to fish out of Fleetwood.
5.1925: Slipped at Fleetwood prior to sale.
1925: Sold to S. Eraso, San Sebastian, Spain.
1925: Remeasured 283g 109n.
1925: Boston registry closed. Registered at Vigo as TORALLA.
1927: Sold to Pesquera Vasco Gallega Soc Ltda, Vigo.
8.1936: Spanish Civil War; requisitioned and armed by Nationalists at Cadiz.
1939: Returned to owner.
1942: Sold to Santos Eraso Tirapu, San Sebastian.
1946: Sold to Pesquera Vasco-Gallega Soc Ltda, Virgo.
195?: Converted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
1964: Sold to Vieira Gonzalez, Vigo.
1976: Sold for breaking up.

Changelog
07/05/2015: Page published.

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4215
Official Number: 144360
Yard Number: 498
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 274.39
Net Tonnage: 106.35
Length: 125 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Built: John Chambers Ltd, Lowestoft
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Fraser & Chalmers Ltd, Erith
Boiler: Palmers Shipbuilding & Iron Co Ltd, Hebburn-on-Tyne

History

1919: Launched by John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.498) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as JAMES LAVENNY (Ad.No.4215).
30.10.1918: Completed as a fishing vessel ex fishing gear. Laid up.
4.4.1919: Advertised for sale.
1919: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
03.02.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I & IV) as JAMES LAVENNY O.N.144360 (LO313).
13.08.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
10.1920: At HM Dockyard, Devonport fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Plymouth.
01.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed. Laid up at Plymouth.
10.1924: Slipped at Plymouth prior to sale.
12.1924: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
9.12.1924: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
6.2.1925: London registry closed.
7.2.1925: Registered at Grimsby (GY205).
7.2.1925: Fred Parkes, Wyberton, Boston appointed manager.
1926: Re-measured 297g 91n 125.3 x 23.4 x 12.9 feet.
24.2.1925: Registered at Grimsby as KELBY (GY205) (BoT Minute M/RG1207 dated 24.1.1925).
1926: Fishing out of Fleetwood.
1926: Fred Parkes, Blackpool appointed manager.
14.7.1926: Mortgage (A) discharged.
15.7.1926: Sold to Oscar Dahl, La Rochelle.
29.7.1926: Grimsby registry closed.
7.1926: Registered at La Rochelle as La BANCHE II.
1939: Requisitioned by Marine Francois as a minesweeper (P.No.AD186).
1944: Transferred to Free French Forces.
1946: Returned to owners.
1952: Sold for breaking up. La Rochelle registry closed.

Changelog
20/02/2014: Page published. 3 updates since then.
22/09/2016: Information updated.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 143859
Yard Number: 108
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 280
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 125.6 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Gauldie, Gillespie & Co, Glasgow
Built: G. Brown & Co Ltd, Greenock

History

29.3.1918: Launched by G. Brown & Co Ltd, Greenock (Yd.No.108) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as JAMES CEPELL (Ad.No.3718).
8.5.1918: Completed (1-12pdr, hydrophone and W/T).
1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as JAMES CEPELL O.N.143859.
1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
1920: Fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100 A1 Stm Trawler.
13.08.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
24.08.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) as JAMES CEPELL (LO421).
01.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed. Laid up.
2.1925: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Grimsby.
6.2.1925: London registry closed.
13.2.1925: Registered at Grimsby (GY180).
5.3.1925: Registered at Grimsby as CLIXBY (GY180). Fred Parkes, Wyberton, Boston appointed manager. Fishing out of Fleetwood.
7.1926: Sold to Oscar Dahl, La Rochelle.
29.7.1926: Grimsby registry closed.
7.1926: Registered at La Rochelle as ANTIOCHE II.
1939: Requisitioned by Marine Francois as a minesweeper (P.No.AD285).
3.7.1940: Seized in Falmouth. Transferred to The Admiralty.
12.1940: Commissioned as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.1746).
1944: Transferred to Free French Forces (D42).
1946: Returned to French owners.
1952: Sold to ?? UK.
10.1952: Sold to BISCO and allocated to John Cashmore Ltd, Newport, Monmouthshire for breaking up.
6.11.1952: On delivery voyage, La Rochelle-Newport, broke away from tug and went ashore Isle D’Quessant. Broken up in situ.

(James Cepell, Armourer, age 35, b. London – VICTORY (SB867))

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 6 updates since then.
20/09/2016: Information updated.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 144317
Yard Number: 340P
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 249
Net Tonnage: 109
Length: 125.4 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

Ordered by Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull, purchased by The Admiralty on the stocks.
7.7.1917: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmel Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.340P) (non-standard “Castle” class) for The Admiralty as THOMAS BUCKLEY (Ad.No.3607).
20(24).12.1917: Completed as a minesweeper (1-12pdr).
28.5.1919: Loaned to US Navy (North Sea Minesweeping Detachment).
7.10.1919: Returned to The Admiralty.
28.1.1920: Registered by The Admiralty as a fishing vessel at London (LO276). Official No.144317.
1922: Sold to Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (Walter Scott, manager).
25.10.1922: London registry closed.
10.1922: Remeasured 100net.
6.11.1922: Registered at Hull (H724).
27.11.1922: Registered at Hull as CEYLONITE (H724).
29.1.1930: Sold to Taylor Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby. Charles Taylor appointed manager.
31.1.1930: Hull registry closed.
1.2.1930: Registered at Grimsby (GY170).
22.6.1939: Sold Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull.
27.6.19: Basil Arthur Parkes, Thornton-le-Fylde appointed manager.
9.4.1940: Requisitioned for war service and employed on patrol duties (1-12pdr) (Hire rate £72.12.6d/month).
9.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper (P.No.FY1853).
1.1946: Laid up.
22.5.1946: Returned to owner.
9.10.1947: Sold to Joseph Croan (64/64), Newhaven, Edinburgh.
3.12.1947: Joseph Croan designated managing owner.
3.12.1947: Grimsby registry closed.
12.1947: Registered at Leith (LH246).
1960: Sold to BISCO (£2750) and allocated to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd for breaking up at Charlestown, Fife (Contract No.77E).
14.6.1960: Delivered Charlestown from Granton under own power.
12.6.1961: Breaking up commenced.
(Thomas Buckley, Private, Marine, age 29, b. Northwich, Cheshire – VICTORY (ML69))

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Ceylonite LH246

S.T. Ceylonite LH246
Picture courtesy of Shetland Maritime Museum

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 6 revisions since then.
01/09/2014: Picture added.
28/09/2014: Removed incorrect picture.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3681
Official Number: 145017
Yard Number: 361
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 276
Net Tonnage: 116
Length: 125.7 ft
Breadth: 23.3 ft
Depth: 12.85 ft
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Fawcett, Preston & Co Ltd, Liverpool
Built: Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley

History

24.9.1918: Launched by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley (Yd.No.361) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as GEORGE DARBY (Ad.No.3681).
20.10.1918: Completed (1-12pdr and W/T).
1920: Allocated to the Government scheme for the setting up of the Fishermens’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
1920: Converted to a fishing vessel.
31.08.1920: Registered at London (LO461) O.N.145017.
01.1922: Scheme abandoned. Laid up.
11.1923: Sold to Sam Robford & Co Ltd, London.
03.12.1923: London registry closed.
05.12.1923: Registered at Aberdeen (A953).
1925: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
9.1.1925: Aberdeen registry closed.
30.1.1925: Registered at Fleetwood as BULBY (FD34).
1925: Sold to Gumersindo Roura S.L., Corunna.
7.2.1925: Fleetwood registry closed.
1925: Re-measured 287g 117n 120.7 x 23.3 x 13.5 feet.
2.1925: Registered at Corunna as GUIMERA.
1936: Seized and armed by Spanish Nationalist Navy. Renamed VIRGEN del CARMEN (1-76mm, 1-45mm, 1-MG).
12.1936: Captured by three crewmen and sailed to Bilboa.
3.12.1937: Recommissioned in Basque Auxiliary Navy as DONOSTIA.
3.1937: Heavily damaged in action with Spanish Nationalist cruiser CANARIAS off Cape Matxitxako. Escaped and interned in La Rochelle.
1939: Returned to owner, repaired and reverted to GUIMERA.
19??: Converted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
1967: Sold for for breaking up.

(George Darby, OS (volunteer), age 23, b. Newcastle – VICTORY (SB162))

Changelog
19/05/2012: Page published. 4 updates since then.
26/03/2015: Information updated.

Read / Leave a Comment