Technical

Official Number: 17238
Completed: 1852
Net Tonnage: 24
Rig: Smack
Built: ??, Peel

History

1852: Completed by ??, Peel as GRACE DARLING.
1855: Registered at Fleetwood.
1.1.1875: Owned by Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood.
1.1.1880: Owned by Lawrence Collinson, Fleetwood.
1997: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Ramsey.
1908: Ramsey registry closed.

Changelog
26/02/2011: Page published.
17/11/2014: Information amended.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 22663
Completed: 1857
Gross Tonnage: 50
Net Tonnage: 32
Length: 58.1 ft
Rig: Yawl
Built: Gibson & Butcher, Fleetwood

History

Yawl – trawling

26.6.1857: Completed by Gibson & Butcher, Fleetwood for Mr Wilson, North Meols as SURPRISE.
1857: Registered at Fleetwood (FD151).
1.1.1875: Owned by Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood
15.8.1879: Re registered at Fleetwood (FD151).
22.12.1894: In severe weather conditions foundered in Morecambe Bay. Crew lost.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 70180
Completed: 1875
Gross Tonnage: 32
Net Tonnage: 21
Length: 54.7 ft
Breadth: 16.4 ft
Depth: 8.2 ft
Rig: Smack – trawling & lining
Built: ??, Peel, IoM

History

1875: Completed by ??, Peel, IoM as ROBERT & EMILY .
1875: Registered at Fleetwood (FD126).
1.1.1880: Owned by James Hazlitt, Fleetwood.
1881: Census at Fleetwood – Edward Corkish (40), b-Ramsey, fisherman; Thomas Karran (46), b-Ramsey, fisherman; James Crix (40), b-Ramsey, fisherman; Robert Garret (30), b-Ramsey, fisherman; William Corkish (32), b-Ramsey, fisherman.
1.1.1883: Owned by Miss Jane Sumner, Fleetwood.
1883: Sold to Robert Leadbetter, Fleetwood & Others.
22.12.1883: Registered at Fleetwood (FD126).
1908: Owned by Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood & others.
1910: Same.
1915: Sold for demolition.
16.3.1915: Fleetwood registry closed.

Changelog
23/02/2009: Page published.
24/01/2015: Information updated.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 73753
Completed: 1876
Gross Tonnage: 37
Net Tonnage: 22
Length: 59.8 ft
Breadth: 16.1 ft
Depth: 8.0 ft
Rig: Jigger smack – trawling, drifting & lining
Built: Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton

History

1876: Completed by Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton for Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood & others (Richard Leadbetter managing owner) as PROSPERITY.
10.1.1877: Registered at Fleetwood (FD136).
Post 1908: Re-rigged as a Ketch.
12.12.1919: Sold to James William Colley, 85 Kemp Street, Fleetwood.
12.1.1920: Sold to Thomas William Dixon, 38 James Street, Whitehaven & John Shippon, Whithaven (Thomas W. Dixon managing owner).
27.1.1922: Fleetwood registry closed. Transferred to Whitehaven.
1929: Same.

Changelog
23/02/2009: Page published.
18/01/2015: Information updated.

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of Geoff Davidson

Technical

Official Number: 68625
Completed: 1873
Net Tonnage: 24
Rig: Smack
Built: ?? Fleetwood

History

1873: Completed by ??. Fleetwood for Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood as PRINCE CHARLIE.
1873: Registered at Fleetwood (FD157).
1874: Sold to Philip Turner, Fleetwood.
1876: Sold to Charles W. Pater, Fleetwood.
By 1.1.1880: Sold to Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood.
1881: Census at Fleetwood – Henry Leadbetter (27), b-Fleetwood, skipper; Isaac Leadbetter (25), b-Fleetwood, fisherman; William Wright (25), b-Fleetwood, fisherman; Nathan Cowell (25), b-Fleetwood, fisherman.
18.11.1892: Returning to Fleetwood from a trip, five hands all told, in thick fog ran into Barrow registered iron steamer GALGORM CASTLE (181grt/1879) which had been at anchor near the Wyre Light. Crew taken off onto the steamer but line to smack cut and drifted off towards Morecambe Bay Light vessel and subsequently foundered 13 miles away.
12.1893: Fleetwood registry closed.
1894: Owners and others brought a case in the Admiralty Division of the High Court against the owners of the GALGORM CASTLE, claiming £750 for loss of the smack, fish and effects. It was stated that the master of the steamer, which suffered no damage in the collision, would give no assistance to tow the smack to Fleetwood and cut the line causing the smack to drift away and subsequently founder. The judge found in favour of the defendant with costs, attributing the collision to the improper speed of the Prince Charlie considering the weather conditions.

Changelog
23/02/2009: Page published. 2 updates since then.
27/11/2015: Information updated.

Read / Leave a Comment