Additional information courtesy of Geoff Davidson
Official Number: 68625
Net Tonnage: 24
Built: ?? Fleetwood
1873: Completed by ??. Fleetwood for Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood as PRINCE CHARLIE.
1873: Registered at Fleetwood (FD157).
1874: Sold to Philip Turner, Fleetwood.
1876: Sold to Charles W. Pater, Fleetwood.
By 1.1.1880: Sold to Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood.
1881: Census at Fleetwood – Henry Leadbetter (27), b-Fleetwood, skipper; Isaac Leadbetter (25), b-Fleetwood, fisherman; William Wright (25), b-Fleetwood, fisherman; Nathan Cowell (25), b-Fleetwood, fisherman.
18.11.1892: Returning to Fleetwood from a trip, five hands all told, in thick fog ran into Barrow registered iron steamer GALGORM CASTLE (181grt/1879) which had been at anchor near the Wyre Light. Crew taken off onto the steamer but line to smack cut and drifted off towards Morecambe Bay Light vessel and subsequently foundered 13 miles away.
12.1893: Fleetwood registry closed.
1894: Owners and others brought a case in the Admiralty Division of the High Court against the owners of the GALGORM CASTLE, claiming £750 for loss of the smack, fish and effects. It was stated that the master of the steamer, which suffered no damage in the collision, would give no assistance to tow the smack to Fleetwood and cut the line causing the smack to drift away and subsequently founder. The judge found in favour of the defendant with costs, attributing the collision to the improper speed of the Prince Charlie considering the weather conditions.
23/02/2009: Page published. 2 updates since then.
27/11/2015: Information updated.
Official Number: 70166
Net tonnage: 36.87
Length: 57.3 ft
Rig: Dandy – trawling & drifting
Built: Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton
1874: Completed by Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton for J. Randles, Fleetwood as DESDEMONA.
2.7.1874: Registered at Fleetwood (FD127).
1.1.1875: Owned by Philip Turner, Fleetwood.
1.1.1880: Owned by David Moss, Fleetwood.
1.1.1883: Owned by John Moss, Fleetwood & others.
24.10.1887: Sold to ??, ??.
1.1.1888: Owned by John Moss, Fleetwood.
9.5.1902: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.5.1902: Registered at Liverpool (LL353).
10.11.1902: Sold to Jeffrey Wright (64/64), 73 Kemp Street, Fleetwood (managing owner).
10.11.1902: Liverpool registry closed.
13.11.1902: Registered at Fleetwood (FD203).
19.3.1903: Sold to Alice Marquis (64/64), 63 New Road, Blackpool.
23.3.1903: John Rimmer, 30 North Street, Fleetwood designated manager.
12.6.1906: Sold to Richard Ashcroft, London Street, Fleetwood.
20.6.1906: Richard Ashcroft designated managing owner.
26.3.1908: Re-measured 24.86net.
9.7.1909: Shares (32/64) sold to John Rimmer, 6 North Church Street, Fleetwood.
21.8.1918: John Rimmer shares (32/64) sold to Richard Ashcroft, Devon House, Blakiston Street East, Fleetwood.
9.9.1918: Shares (32/64) sold to H. B. Shepherd, ??
11.2.1920: Sold to John Shippen & Thomas William Dixon, Whitehaven.
26.1.1922: Fleetwood registry closed. Transferred to Whitehaven.
1925: Whitehaven registry closed.
Click to enlarge image
Sailing Trawler Desdemona
Picture courtesy of rossallbeach.co.uk
05/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
12/06/2016: Picture added.
21/12/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
25/11/2018: Updated information.