Additional material courtesy of Douglas Paterson and Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 95807
Yard Number: 42
Completed: 1889
Gross Tonnage: 141
Net Tonnage: 68
Length: 103.7 ft
Breadth: 20.3 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

1889: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.42) for Robert Hellyer & James Chant, Hull as GRAPHIC.
10.10.1889: Completed. Charles Hellyer appointed manager.
10.10.1889: Registered at Hull (H78).
1890: Remeasured under Portuguese rules 45.32n.
3.1890: Sold to Parceria de Pescarais Norte, Oporto.
19.3.1890: Hull registry closed.
3.1890: Registered at Oporto as CHIRE.
11.1909: Sold to William Collie & Samuel Caie, Aberdeen.
6.12.1909: Registered at Aberdeen as VIOLET CAIE (A302).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 52.28 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
22.5.1914: Badly damaged whilst berthed at Fish Market in Aberdeen when struck by steam trawler STEWART BOYLE (GW27).
10.10.1915: Sold to Richard Gore, Tarleton, Preston, Edward Walmsley, Croston, Joseph Blackburn, Croston & Ernest Taylor, Thornton-le-Fylde. Ernest Taylor designated managing owner.
2.2.1916: Sold to The Croston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Ernest Taylor, Thornton-le-Fylde appointed manager.
5.1917: Sold to George Frederick Sleight (64/64), Grimsby.
11.5.1917: Aberdeen registry closed.
14.5.1917: George Sleight designated managing owner.
21.5.1917: Registered at Grimsby (GY1051).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released.
19.3.1921: Sir George Frederick Sleight Bart died.
8.1922: New boiler fitted
18.10.1922: Probate granted to Raymond Lawrence Humphrey, Healing as sole surviving executor.
3.12.1925: Ownership registered to Raymond Lawrence Humphrey (64/64), Healing.
3.12.1925: Raymond Lawrence Humphrey designated managing owner.
12.1925: Sold to Moreau & Cayrouse, Dieppe.
4.12.1925: Grimsby registry closed. Registered at Dieppe as JACQUELINE-LOUISE (D??).
1.1926: Remeasured under French rules 148g 41n.
1937: Sold to shipbreakers and broken up. Dieppe registry closed.

I WENT DOWN GRIMSBY DOCKS ONE DAY
AND SIGNED ON THE GOOD SHIP VIOLET CAIE
WENT AWAY WHEN THE BELLS WERE RINGING
AND THE BOYS ON THE DECK THEY STOOD THERE SINGING

CHORUS

WE LIKE GOING TO SEA, WE LIKE GOING TO SEA
THE SEAS ALRIGHT ON A WINDY NIGHT
BECAUSE WE LIKE GOING TO SEA.

Changelog
05/04/2013: Page published. 2 updates since then.
21/06/2016: Information updated.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 127417
Yard Number: 383
Gross Tonnage: 222
Net Tonnage: 86
Completed: 1908
Length: 120.5 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: 68RHP T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Boiler: David Rowan & Co, Glasgow
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

25.8.1908: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.383) for Neyland Steam Trawling & Fishing Co Ltd, Neyland (Alexander Scott, Llanstadwell, manager) as ANGLE.
9.1908: Completed.
6.10.1908: Registered at Milford (M225).
20.12.1910: When 160 miles from Queenstown sighted the schooner KATHLEEN, which had been on passage Rio Grande to Liverpool, dismasted and in distress. Connected with difficulty and commenced tow to Queenstown.
23.12.1910: Delivered Queenstown.
4.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1- 12pdr) (Ad.No.1367).
2.5.1915: Some 45 miles NW of Skelligs picked up nine survivors of steam collier FULGENT (2008grt/1910) (Admiralty hire) on passage Cardiff – Scapa Flow with coal and torpedoed by U.boat (U21) on 30.4.1915. Landed at Kilrush, Co. Kerry including body of Master C. W. Brown.
1919: Returned to owner.
24.2.1919: Sold to The Croston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
4.3.1919: Milford registry closed.
8.3.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD57).
7.1.1924: Sailed Fleetwood and streamed log, severe south-east gale and snow storm off Isle of Man. Distance travelled underestimated due to gale and ran on the Bahama Bank, Isle of Man. Investigation concluded that disaster might have been averted if Bahama Bank light vessel had not been removed; eleven crew lost plus two pleasure trippers*.
4.2.1924: Fleetwood registry closed.

(Lost* – Sk.William Glynn; James Flaxman, Mate; Harry Gill, Bosun; Ernest Lord, Ch Eng; John Kay, 2nd Eng; James Casey, Ben Hickford, James Dennis, Deckhands; John Lord, & William Smith, Firemen; Charles Wilkinson, Cook; J Perkins & F Barrar, pleasure trippers.

Notes: By the end of January the owners were getting extremely worried and despatched Lieutenant Roger Owen, of the Fleetwood Steam Trawler Owners’ Mutual Insurance Association to investigate a wreck that had been reported on the Bahama Bank, off the Isle of Man.

Conditions enabled the divers on the chartered half-decker MOIRREY to dive on the wreck. The divers found the vessel open fore and aft and “Flattened like a fluke” and the greatest difficulty was experienced in finding any identifying marks. The letters “ANG..” was eventually found with the whole word “Fleetwood” underneath it.

No bodies were ever found. A clock found by the wreck was stopped at 12:30 and the ship’s boat was located at one side of the vessel. Lieutenant Owen’s opinion was that the cause of the ANGLE’s loss was that the vessel was running before a south-east gale and ran into heavy snow on the 7th of January. Distance travelled was reckoned using a patent log which underestimated the distance when running before a gale. As a result the trawler overran her distance and ran onto the Bahamas Bank. Owen concluded that the disaster might not have occurred if the Bahama Bank Lightship had not been removed.

The crew were…..

W.Glynn Skipper Fleetwood
J.Flaxman Mate Fleetwood
H.Gill Bosun Manchester
J.Casey Donkeyman Blackpool
J.Dennis Deckie Fleetwood
B.Hickford Deckie Fleetwood
C.Wilkinson Cook Address unknown
E.Lord Chief Engineer Fleetwood
J.Hay Second Engineer Blackburn
W.Smith Fireman Lowestoft
J.lord Fireman Fleetwood
J.Perkins Pleasure Tripper Manchester
F.Barrar Pleasure Tripper Blackburn

It is highly probable that the two people with the surname ‘Lord’ were from the same family thus making the tragedy a double one for them.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 115567
Yard Number: 394
Completed: 1902
Gross Tonnage: 197
Net Tonnage: 64
Length: 113.0 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

24.5.1902: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.394) for The Walker Steam Trawl Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen as STAR OF THE SEA.
6.1902: Completed (Thomas Walker, manager).
14.6.1902: Registered at Aberdeen (A538).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 76.12 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
9.5.1914: Sold to Andrew Walker, Aberdeen.
1916: Sold to The Croston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Ernest Taylor, Thornton, managers).
21.1.1917: Stopped by U-boat (U.45) 43 miles NWxW1/2N of Inishtrahull Island, Co. Donegal and sunk by gunfire. Crew abandoned in boat.
30.1.1917: Aberdeen registry closed “Sunk by submarine”.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 120474
Yard Number: 758
Completed: 1904
Gross Tonnage: 196
Net Tonnage: 74
Length: 115.2 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by MacColl & Pollock Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

11.1904: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.758) for George H. D. Birt, Milford Haven (managing owner) as DANIA.
11.1904: Registered at London (LO187).
11.1904: Completed.
7.1905: Off the Spanish coast in storm force conditions (Sk. Joseph Huddlestone), William Shepherd (23), bosun, washed overboard and drowned.
21.7.1908: Sold to Harley & Miller Ltd, Liverpool (Robert Harley, manager).
24.3.1917: Sold to The Croston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Ernest Taylor, manager).
3.1917: At Fleetwood. Fitted with Nordenfelt 6pdr gun (No.268); compliment increased by two gunners.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released.
21.2.1919: London registry closed.
24.2.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD22).
1924: William W. Brierley appointed manager.
1.2.1927: Sk. H. Buckley was fined £20 plus costs at Bangor for trawling within the limits off the Anglesey coast.
1936: Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
1937: Delivered Preston.
13.12.1937: Fleetwood registry closed. Breaking up completed.

click to enlarge images

S.T. Dania FD22

S.T. Dania FD22
Picture courtesy of Shipmate17 (shipsnostalgia.com)

S.T. Dania FD22

S.T. Dania FD22

S.T. Rachael FD2

Rachael (background) Redwing (foreground)
Hercules (alongside)
Dania (outboard)
Picture courtesy of Bill Blow

Changelog
15/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
29/01/2016: Picture added.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 110985
Yard Number: 192
Completed: 1899
Gross Tonnage: 137
Net Tonnage: 54
Length: 105 ft
Breadth: 20.1 ft
Depth: 8.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Gourley Bros & Co, Dundee
Built: Gourley Bros & Co, Dundee

History

27.5.1899: Launched by Gourley Bros & Co, Dundee (Yd.No.192) for The Tay Trawling Co Ltd, Dundee as TAYSIDE.
1899: Completed (Robert Cook, manager). Registered at Dundee (DE117)
1907: Sold to Thomas Davidson, Aberdeen (managing owner).
8.1907: Dundee registry closed.
22.8.1907: Registered at Aberdeen (A156).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1918: Sold to Croston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Ernest Taylor, managers).
1919: Released.
3.3.1919: Aberdeen registry closed.
4.3.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD54).
1920: Sold to the The West Carbery Co-operative Fishing Society Ltd, Baltimore, Co. Cork (John Collins, manager).
8.12.1920: Fleetwood registry closed ‘not required by new owners’.
12.1920: Registered at Skibbereen, Co. Cork.
1.1921: Foundered 5 miles ES-E of Galley Head Lighthouse when on passage Baltimore towards Queenstown, Co. Cork.

Changelog
08/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.

Read / Leave a Comment