Additional information courtesy of Peter Bell and Bill Blow
Official Number: 108463
Yard Number: 142
Gross Tonnage: 161
Net Tonnage: 55
Length: 104.2 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Built: Mackie & Thomson Ltd, Govan
Engine: T.3-cyl by Muir & Houston Ltd, Glasgow
13.3.1897: Launched by Mackie & Thomson Ltd, Govan (Yd.No.142) for Hagerup, Doughty & Co Ltd, Grimsby as WALTHAM.
11.5.1897: Registered at Grimsby (GY303). Frederick Emil Hagerup appointed manager.
4.1906: Sold to Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co (Grimsby) Ltd, Grimsby. John Denton Marsden appointed manager. Fishing out of Fleetwood.
30.5.1910: Arrested for suspected illegal trawling off north coast of Co. Mayo.
12.7.1910: At Ballina, Co. Mayo, Petty Sessions, The Dept of Agriculture in Ireland brought charges against the skipper of illegal trawling. The magistrates did not accept the defence that the trawler was sheltering and imposed a fine of £100 with £28 cost.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 63 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
12.1914: Requisitioned for war services as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.689).
10.12.1914: Arrived Larne as part of Unit 69.
28.1. – 13.2.1915: Detached to Morecambe Bay with minesweeping trawlers CERESIA (Ad.No.194) (FD26) and ROSE II ((Ad.No.592)(GY312).
28.5. – 8.6.1915: At Belfast, refit and repairs. Ty/Sk. Alfred C. Cable RNR appointed CO.
9.8.- 18.8.1916: At Dublin, refit and repairs.
6.2. – 16.2.1917: At Dublin, refit and repairs.
3.1917: At Larne fitting out as decoy vessel.
4.7. – 13.7.1917: At Dublin, repairs. Ty/Sk. James Mair RNR appointed CO. Possibly operating as a ‘Q’ ship.
10.10.1917: Missing off the Isle of Man. May have been mined by mines laid on 4.10.1917 by U.boat (UC75). (Loss is not recorded in ADM137).
16.4.1919: Grimsby registry closed “Vessel lost”.
Lost: Ty/Sk. James Mair RNR; William Webster, 2nd Hand; Robert Strachan, Engineman; Campbell Duncan, Michael Holland, Edmund Richardson, Peter S. Stephen, James Stewart, David Wilson, deckhands; Charles F. Fewster, Robert W. Marsh, John Smith, William Tolan, trimmers.
08/08/2016: Page published.
13/01/2017: Information updated.
Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall
Official Number: 137154
Yard Number: 405
Gross Tonnage: 215.74
Net Tonnage: 83.07
Length: 115.0 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Built: The John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood Ltd, Coatbridge, Glasgow
1914: Launched by The John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.405) for The National Steam Fishing Co (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen as LEUKOS.
27.8.1914: Registered at Aberdeen (A102). James Scott Jnr appointed manager.
12.12.1914: Arrived Aberdeen (Sk. George Robertson) with body of a naval officer picked up at sea to the NE of Aberdeen. Body believed to be an officer belonging to HMS HAWKE (Capt. Hugh P. E. T. Williams RN) torpedoed off Peterhead by U-boat (U.9) on
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (Ad.No.N.I.). Based Scapa, Orkney.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Aberdeen.
27.1.1920: Sold to Arthur Reginald Tucker & James Cornelius Tippet, Cardiff. James Cornelius Tippet appointed manager.
2.4.1920: Sold to Tucker, Tippet & Co Ltd, Cardiff. James Cornelius Tippet appointed manager.
1922: Fishing from Milford. Harry E. East managing agent.
27.2.1927: Sailed Milford for the fishing grounds (Sk. Edward Major). Owing to weather outside came to anchor off Popton Point.
28.2.1927: At about 10.00am. observed trawler THOMAS BARTLETT (LO373) coming in from sea and anchored close by, the wind was south west to west blowing a strong gale. The bosun, Charles Richard Johnson was on anchor watch, and reported to the skipper that the THOMAS BARTLETT was dragging and when some 20 to 30 yards away it appeared she would drive across the bows. The whistle was sounded and the THOMAS BARTLETT eased her cable and started to come astern but did not clear, hitting the stem with the port side, the head coming round to starboard and the THOMAS BARTLETT dropped down along side on the starboard side. No damage to the stem was apparent.
28.2.1927: Sailed for the fishing grounds but found water ingress in way of the stem, temporary repair carried out by Ch Eng. and continued on voyage.
1.6.1927: Last landing at Milford.
18.6.1927: Sold to Dublin Trawling, Ice and Cold Storage Co Ltd, Dublin.
24.6.1927: Aberdeen registry closed.
6.1927: Registered at Dublin (D86). Patrick Fannon appointed manager. Occasional landings at Fleetwood.
Mid 2.1940: Last landing at Fleetwood.
29.2.1940: Sailed Dublin for the fishing grounds via Troon to coal (Sk. James Potter Thomasson); eleven hands all told. The ship had the Irish tricolour painted on her hull clearly indicating a vessel from a neutral country; fitted with wireless.
1.3.1940: Sailed Troon for the ‘the bank’ off Tory Island.
9.3.1940: In forenoon spoke to two other trawlers of the same company in Donegal Bay, confirmed a good catch and ETA Dublin 12.3.1940.
9.3.1940: A group of Fleetwood trawlers fishing 12 miles NW of Tory Island, Co. Donegal, ALVIS (H52); FLYING ADMIRAL (H66); JOHN MORRICE (A786); PELAGOS (GN55) and SEDOCK (GY123) and reported with the Irish trawler LEUKOS (D86) also in the vicinity. At 2003 (Wilhelshaven time) a U-boat (U.38) surfaced having observed through periscope and listening device the group of trawlers. On the surface noticed that all had their lights on and were apparently forming a guarding line on a N-S course. In his log the CO. Kptlt. Heinrich Liebe wrote “I decided to administer a warning to one of them with the gun.” At 2113, and within about 200 metres of the target, fired a single round at a ship, hitting her in the engine room; the U-boat withdrew staying on the surface about one hour until ship foundered. No attempt was made by the U-boat to identify the vessel or search for survivors. None of the five trawlers in the vicinity closed to investigate, if in fact they were aware of the incident. Although no conclusive evidence confirms, the ship probably was the LEUKOS; all eleven crew lost*.
16.3.1940: Owners expressed fears for the safety of the vessel.
21.3.1940: Lifeboat containing a lifebuoy bearing the name ‘S.T. LEUKOS’ washed up at Scarinish, Tiree, Inner Hebrides.
26.3.1940: Posted missing.
1940: Dublin registry closed.
(Lost* – Sk. James P. Thomasson (29) married, Milton Street, Fleetwood & 63 Lower Mount Street, Dublin; James Donnelly (42) married, North Albert Street, Fleetwood, Mate; P. J. O’Scanlon, 5 Douglas Road, Cleethorpes, Bosun; Alec McLeod (50) single, Wyre Street, Fleetwood and 53 Kenneth Street, Stornoway, Ch Eng; Bernard Smith (23), 10 Boyne Street, Dublin, 2nd Eng; Thomas Mulligan single, The Mission, Fleetwood & Catholic Seamens Institute, Dublin & Anthony Pill (18) single, The Mission, Fleetwood & Catholic Seamens Institute, Dublin, deckhands; Michael Cullen (17) single, 29 Boyne Street, Dublin, fireman; Patricio McCarthy (42) single, 40 Carlton Street, Marino, Dublin, cook; James Hawkins (17) single, 69 Park Road, Ringsend, Dublin & Fleetwood and Robert Sumler (16) single, 63 Lower Mount Street, Dublin & Milton Street, Fleetwood (brother-in-law of the skipper), apprentices )
Click to enlarge image
08/02/2016: Page published.
If you have any technical or historical information about this vessel, please contact email@example.com
Official Number: 80245
Gross Tonnage: 47
Net Tonnage: 23
Rig: Ketch – trawling
Built: ?? Brixham
1890: Completed by ??, Brixham for ??, ?? as WAVE.
1.1.1892: Owned by Thomas L. Manchester, Westfield, Pwllheli, Carnarvon. Registered at Carnarvon (CO3).
1.1.1900: Owned by Arthur & Robert McEwan Anderson, Liverpool.
1.1.1910: Owned by Arthur Anderson, Wholesale Fish Market, Liverpool (managing owner).
1.1.115: Owned by Magnus B. J. Wedum, 114 Dock Street, Fleetwood (managing owner).
10.3.1918: Fishing 10 miles SW by W from St Bees Head, stopped by U-boat (UC75) and sunk by bombs. Crew took to boat. Carnarvon registry closed.
25/02/2015: Page published.
26/02/2015: Added PLN.
Additional material courtesy of Bill Blow
Official Number: 138946
Yard Number: 327
Gross Tonnage: 226
Net Tonnage: 102
Length: 117.0 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: 450ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
12.10.1915: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.327) for Walter Olney (64/64), Fleetwood.
7.2.1916: Registered at Grimsby (GY869).
7.2.1916: Alick Black, Grimsby appointed manager.
2.1916: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr HA) (Ad.No.3258).
25.6.1917: Mined off Girdle Ness and foundered in position 57.07N 01.58W. Mine laid by U.boat (UC40). Four men lost.
16.4.1919: Grimsby registry closed “Ship lost on Admiralty service”
(Lost – Peter Brown, 2nd Hand, John D. Meldrum & Henry Neslen, Deckhands, George S. Buchan & Alexander H. Clark, Trimmers, all RNR)
Official Number: 146492
Yard Number: 91
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 35
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by North British Engine Works Ltd, Whiteinch, Glasgow
Boiler: Edwind Danks & Co (Oldbury) Ltd, Oldbury
Built: Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad
1918: Launched by Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad (Yd.No.91) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as BLIZZARD.
30.7.1918: Completed (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.3971).
1921: Sold to Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (Walter Scott, manager).
11.7.1922: Registered at Hull as SATINSTONE (H585).
1.1925: Sold to Alexander C. Bruce & Peter Bruce, St. Combs, W. B. Ritchie & Peter Buchan, Fraserburgh, Charles L. Minty, Fraserburgh and R. Irvin & Sons Ltd, North Shields (Alexander C. Bruce managing owner).
29.1.1925: Hull registry closed.
30.1.1925: Registered at Fraserburgh as HARVEST GLEANER (FR73).
1938: Seasonal fishing from Fleetwood (Alex Keay agent).
5.1938: Shares sold to Charles L. Minty, Gardenstown & others and R. Irvin & Sons Ltd, North Shields.
17.5.1938: Registered at Banff (BF484).
25.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (Hire rate £26.0.0d/month).
28.10.1940: Off Suffolk coast attacked by German aircraft and subsequently foundered. Four crew lost*.
20.4.1943: Banff registry closed “Lost on Naval Service”.
(*Lost – Seymour Stephenson, Stoker PO; Maurice G. Langridge and Arthur Swaby, OS – killed. Charles A. L. Edwards, Stoker, died of wounds)