Additional information courtesy of Christine Simm
Official Number: 17221
Net Tonnage: 23 nrt
Rig; Smack – trawling
Built: ??, Whitehaven
1831: Completed at Whitehaven.
7.4.1850: Registered at Whitehaven O.N.17221. Owned by Ebenezer Cox, Fleetwood.
28.2.1854: Fishing off the Isle of Man (Sk. Jones, Hoylake). Brought into Whitehaven the brigantine RICHARD WRIGHT (Capt Violet) of St. John’s, New Brunswick, bound Liverpool for Boston with coals and salt, picked up with her sails set a short distance SW of the Calf of Man. From the extent of damage along the whole length of the starboard side, the bulwarks of which were stove in, it was evident that she had been run into by another vessel. Both topgallant masts were snapped off, her main rigging torn from the plates and much other damage.
2.3.1854: Having telegraphed the Liverpool agents of the RICHARD WRIGHT, Capt. Violet, the master arrived in Whitehaven. Capt. Violet stated that they left Liverpool on 25th February and about midnight on the 27th the mate on watch saw an approaching vessel and hailed her to put her helm about; there was no response and a collision ensued, the RICHARD WRIGHT being crushed under the water. Capt Violet and his crew managed to reach the other vessel, which proved to be the brigantine VIOLANTE (115nrt/1853)(Kelly, master), from Liverpool for Troon. Capt Violet asked Capt Kelly to stand by to determine the fate of his ship but he refused and put back to Liverpool arriving on the 28th, the same day the RICHARD WRIGHT was brought into Whitehaven. The VIOLANTE had part of her starboard bulwarks carried away, lost her jib-boom and figurehead in the collision.
6.2.1855: Reported that at Whitehaven Police Court, Sk. John Wilson, fisherman Henry Croft and Sk. Rueben Ball of another smack in Whitehaven, were charged with stealing a quantity of rope from the smack. They had been observed by P.C. Heslop removing the rope from the smack and he watched them take it to the shop of a marine dealer, Fox. P.C. Heslop informed the daughter of Mr Cox and the following day Mr Cox arrived from Fleetwood and Wilson and Croft were taken into custody. The MACKEREL had no reason to put into Whitehaven due to stress of weather and those charged had no right to remove the rope. Wilson and Croft had been employed by Mr Cox for three months. Martha Ward, a servant in the employ of Mr Fox recognised all three men but could not tell which one of them had received the money. Reuben Ball admitted being with the them when they took the rope and as none of them spoke in their defence they were committed for trial at the ensuing Cumberland Assizes.
1859: Whitehaven registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood.
1859: Remeasured 17n.r.t.
1860: Fishing out of Fleetwood.
22.8.1860: Fishing off Blackpool in company with the smack FANNY. In the evening a severe gale setup and they were forced to stop fishing. Sighted the schooner CATHERINE (115nrt/1845) of Dundalk (Adair, master) in distress with fore and main topmasts carried away and in only five fathoms of water; the schooner had sailed from Fleetwood that day. The smacks closed, connected and commenced tow to Fleetwood, bringing her near Shell Wharf.
23.8.1860: In the morning, CATHERINE brought into harbour by the paddle tug ADJUTANT (80grt/1858).
1862: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Whitehaven.
16.1.1869: Two fishermen from the smack, were drinking in Nag’s Head, public house in Whitehaven the previous night when Robert Robinson, the worst for drink, had an altercation with his wife and struck her a blow which resulted in her death. Both men gave evidence at the subsequent Inquest where the Jury returned a verdict of manslaughter against Robert Robinson.
1865: Owned by James McBain, Whitehaven.
18.1.1869: At Whitehaven Police Court, Robert Robinson was committed for trial on the charge of manslaughter.
1869: Sold to Robert Cowman, Whitehaven.
1870: Sold to William B. Cowman, Whitehaven.
10.8.1877: Trawling standing north from Ravenglass (Sk. John Taylor), running with the strong tide and ahead was the Port Glasgow registered steamer DUNVEGAN CASTLE (255grt/1868)(Capt Duncan Campbell) on the same course. She had sails set, flags up but no smoke and Taylor thought she wanted a pilot. At about 7.00 am hauled the net with the change of tide. The steamer was going ahead but she would not have cleared the South Head as she was making nothing to windward and was dropping to leeward towards the shore. Overhauled the steamer about mid-day, carrying two flags, but could not fetch the vessel on the first reach but fetched her on the second. The wind was slacking with a nasty sea and surf towards the shore. Closed the steamer and said “I think that you’re disabled”. The master said he wanted to put the mate ashore. At this time she was about abreast the Sea Cote Hotel at St. Bees, not at anchor and drifting, between her and Whitehaven lay the South Head and the North Head. She was about a quarter of a mile from the breakers. Taylor put the smack round the steamer and ran across her stern and the mate jumped in the rigging. The smack was run as near to the breakers as possible and the mate was taken ashore in the punt. With the punt recovered the smack beat out to seaward. The DUNVEGAN CASTLE could not beat out of the bay in the state she was and the sail she had. The Whitehaven paddle tug PRINCE OF WALES (152grt/1862) (Capt William Atkinson) at the direction of the mate of the DUNVEGAN CASTLE, who had arrived at the Harbour Master’s Office, with the Harbour Master, Capt Thomas Mann onboard, sailed for St. Bees to give assistance. Arriving off St. Bees at about 3.30pm they found the DUNVEGAN CASTLE at anchor about a mile and three-quarters from the shore and embayed. The steamer was taken in tow and arriving off Whitehaven the master insisted that he was towed to Silloth and when only a couple of miles north there was something wrong with the boiler and the PRINCE OF WALES returned to Whitehaven.
15.9.1877: Fees for salvage claimed and towage contested in court at Wigton, Cumberland. The DUNVEGAN CASTLE was disabled with machinery trouble and under sail at the time of the incident. After hearing from all the witnesses and over five hours in session, the Bench awarded £65 for towage services, which included £5 for the MACKEREL and costs.
1883: Sold to Mrs Helen Paterson, Palnackie, Kirkcudbright.
1884: Sold to James A. Ross, Kyleakin, Isle of Skye.
1894: Sold to Roderick McLeod Kyleakin, Isle of Skye & others.
1899: Whitehaven registry closed.
01/02/2023: Page published.