Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall and Bill Blow
Official Number: 137032
Yard Number: 639
Gross Tonnage: 301.46
Net Tonnage: 156.49
Length: 135.0 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.35 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: T.3-cyl (520ihp) and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
3.4.1915: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.639) for Anchor Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as TRIBUNE.
15.7.1915: Registered at Grimsby (Part IV) (GY563).
6.8.1915: Registered at Grimsby (Part I).
6.8.1915: William Somerville Letten designated manager.
9.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.1747).
5.2.1916: George Somerville Letten designated manager.
2.1918: Renamed TRIBUNE II.
1920: Returned to owner and reverted to TRIBUNE (GY563).
12.9.1923: Sold to The Beacon Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
25.9.1923: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
9.10.1923: William Francis Goodwin designated manager.
27.11.1923: Mortgagee re-styled Midland Bank Ltd, London.
1.10.1924: Registered at Grimsby as LORD BEACONSFIELD (GY563) (BoT Minute No.1421 dated 16.9.1924).
1927: Seasonal fishing out of Canso, Nova Scotia.
12.1.1928: Reported that when outward for Icelandic grounds, encountered severe gale in North Atlantic and swept by heavy seas smashing the wheelhouse and carried it away along with the two lifeboats. Deckhand J. Laurenson who was at the wheel was carried away with the wreckage of the wheelhouse and not seen again. Arrived Seyðisfjörður for repairs.
30.7.1928: Mortgage (A) discharged.
4.8.1928: John Denton Marsden designated manager.
31.9.1928: Sold to Consolidated Fisheries Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
30.11.1928: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (B).
3.1929: Chartered to fish in Canadian waters based at Canso, Nova Scotia in a training role.
28.3.1929: Grimsby registry closed “ … transferred to the Port of Canso, Nova Scotia … “.
7.7.1930: Notification received from Registrar of Shipping, Canso that transfer of Registration has not been accepted, the owners having failed to comply with requirements of the Canadian Shipping Act. (?? Order 39039/30 dated 2.7.1930 refers).
7.7.1930: Registry re-opened at Grimsby (GY563).
18.3.1931: From Icelandic Coastguard steamer ODINN. “Trawler LORD BEACONSFIELD ashore 35 miles east of Portland (Iceland). On rocks. Weather calm and swell moderate to rather rough.” At 10.00am. crew left and safe on shore.
24.3.1931: Refloated and taken in tow for Reykjavik; four crew onboard.
30.4.1932: Reported that outward from Grimsby for Icelandic grounds, in collision off the Scottish Coast in dense fog with Aberdeen steam trawler DEVANHA (A458); neither vessel suffered much damage.
12.9.1933: Mortgage (B) discharged.
12.9.1933: Sold to Sk. Martinus August Olesen, Grimsby and Archibald Ambrose Winter, Cleethorpes (64/64 joint owners).
14.9.1933: Martinus August Olesen designated managing owner.
28.9.1933: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Consolidated Fisheries Ltd, Grimsby (C).
3.4.1935: Sold to Consolidated Fisheries Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
8.4.1935: Sir John Denton Marsden Bt designated manager.
28.8.1937: On the Icelandic grounds, deckhand A. C. Dennison (20) of Grimsby was scalded by boiling oil whilst extracting oil from cod livers. Landed at Seyðisfjörður but died in hospital.
8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (Hire rate £83.1.0d/month).
4.9.1939: Based Grimsby on Fishery Protection duties.
4.6.1940: Converted for service a s a minesweeper (1-12pdr)(P.No.FY608). Based Ipswich with M/S & Patrol Group 79.
12.1941: Ty/Sk. Alfred Hill RNR appointed CO.
23.4.1942: Sold to J. Bennett (Wholesale) Ltd (64/64), London.
28.4.1942: Harry Markham Cook, Fleetwood designated manager.
11.8.1943: Sk. Wilfred Thompson RNR appointed CO.
6.1945: Paid off to Reserve, awaiting disposal.
16.10.1945: Returned to owner after restoration and classification at Aberdeen. Sailed Aberdeen for Icelandic grounds (Sk. Sydney Brewis, Hull); seventeen crew all told.
17.10.1945: In dense fog, stranded on rocks off Prail Castle, 1nm SW of Red Head, Auchmithe, Angus. In response to rockets and distress call, attended by Arbroath lifeboat, JOHN & WILLIAM MUDIE, Cox. William Swankie. As tide receded assumed list to port of about 45° and engine room and stoke hold flooded to a depth of 10ft. All crew taken off by lifeboat and landed at Arbroath; personal gear brought ashore in ship’s boat. Later attended by two salvage vessels, but salvage considered impractical and vessel considered a constructive total loss (CTL). Accepted as loss by underwriters.
6.12.1945: Grimsby registry closed “Total Loss”.
Click to enlarge images
S.T. Lord Beaconsfield GY563
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection
Picture © IWM
28/03/2017: Page published.
Read / Leave a Comment
Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow, Birgir Þórisson and Granton Trawlers
Official Number: Not issued
Yard Number: 192
Gross Tonnage: 277
Net Tonnage: 92
Length: 130.4 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Scott & Sons Ltd, Bowling
Engine: 460ihp T.3-cyl by W.V.V.Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
30.10.1906: Launched by Scott & Sons Ltd, Bowling (Yd.No.192) for J. T. Welsh, Fleetwood as KING EDWARD VII.
1.1907: Sold to Fernand Rimbert, Dieppe.
8.1.1907: Registered at Dieppe as HIVER (Di.511).
3.2.1915: Requisitioned for was service with Marine Francaise as an armed trawler. Based Bizerte, Tunisia with 3rd Armed Trawler Squadron and employed as escort/patrol.
1918: New boiler (built 1916) fitted.
3.4.1919: Sold to Société Industrielle Nationale de Pêche et d’Armement, Dieppe & Fécamp.
15.3.1919: Returned to owner after restoration at Le Havre. Fitted with additional accommodation and equipment for the Newfoundland fishery.
2.5.1919: Sailed Fécamp for Newfoundland (Sk. Dehais); twenty-four crew all told. Because of her size and layout found unsuitable for this fishery.
20.10.1919: Returned to Dieppe and resumed working as a fresh fish trawler.
26.6.1928: Sold to D. Mallet, Dieppe.
1930: Sold to Société Anon d’Armement Mallet, Dieppe.
1937: Sold Belgian shipbreakers. Broken up. Dieppe registry closed.
04/03/2017: Page published.
08/03/2017: Information updated.
Read / Leave a Comment
Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow
Official Number: 110877
Yard Number: 123
Gross Tonnage: 241.16
Net Tonnage: 89.97
Length: 119.3 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Dundee Shipbuilders’ Co Ltd, Dundee
Engine: T.3-cyl (540ihp) and boiler by Cooper & Greig, Dundee
1899: Launched by Dundee Shipbuilders’ Co Ltd, Dundee (Yd.No.123) for Atlantic Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as MAGNIFIC.
24.4.1899: Registered at Grimsby (GY8).
24.4.1899: Robert Walter Windeatt designated manager.
2.5.1899: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (A).
7.6.1900: Sold to Grimsby Steam Fishing Vessels’ Mutual Insurance & Protecting Co Ltd, Grimsby.
7.6.1900: Mortgage (A) discharged.
29.6.1900: Sold to Hugh McIntyre (64/64), Glasgow.
11.6.1900: George Jeffs designated manager.
9.7.1900; Hugh McIntyre designated managing owner.
9.4.1901: Sold to C. T. Bowring & Co Ltd (64/64), Liverpool.
18.4.1901: Grimsby registry closed “Coasting”.
18.4.1901: Frederick Charles Bowring designated manager.
4.1901: Registered at Liverpool. Based Halifax, Nova Scotia and engaged trawling on the Newfoundland banks. Results only judged to be “fairly successful”.
11.1903: Sold to James Codling, John William Hobbs & Arthur James Baxter, all Grimsby (joint owners 64/64).
27.11.1903: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to C. T. Bowring & Co Ltd, Liverpool for the sum of £5,500 with interest at 6% (B).
30.11.1903: Arthur James Baxter designated managing owner.
1.12.1903: Liverpool registry closed.
2.12.1903: Registered at Grimsby (GY1285).
1.1.1904: Registered at Grimsby as EDINBORO’ CASTLE (GY1285) BoT Minute 23790/05).
28.1.1908: Vessel sold by mortgagee under mortgage (B) to John William Hobbs, Leonard Brocklesby & Arthur Oscar Burns, all Grimsby (joint owners 64/64).
1909: New boiler fitted
29.1.1909: John William Hobbs designated managing owner.
29.1.1909: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to C. T. Bowring & Co Ltd, Liverpool for the sum of £3,125 with interest at 6% (C).
6.7.1909: William Acaster, Fleetwood designated managing owner at Fleetwood.
9.7.1909 – 10.1.1910: Running Agreement. Fishing out of Fleetwood (Sk. Sam Edwards, Knott End).
28.1.1910 – 1.7.1910: Running Agreement. Fishing out of Fleetwood (Sk. George Albert Novo, Fleetwood).
28.1.1910: William Acaster, Fleetwood designated agent for managing owner.
28.4.1910: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Stamford, Spalding & Boston Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (D).
3.1.1912: Mortgage (C) transferred to The Lincoln & Lindsey Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (C).
5.1.1912: Mortgage (D) discharged.
15.1.1912: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Lincoln & Spalding Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (E)
7.2.1912: Mortgage (C) discharged.
12.6.1912: Mortgage (E) discharged.
13.6.1912: Sold to The Waverley Steam Fishing Co (Grimsby) Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
13.6.1912: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Lincoln & Lindsey Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (F).
15.6.1912: Alfred Bannister designated manager.
27.9.1912: Sold to Alfred Bannister (64/64), Grimsby.
16.10.1912: Mortgage (F) discharged.
17.10.1912: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclay & Co Ltd, London (G).
17.10.1912: Alfred Bannister designated managing owner.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 94.29net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service. Fitted out as a boom trawler. Based Milford Haven.
18.8.1915: Sold to William Barton & Alfred Bannister, Grimsby (joint owners 64/64).
20.8.1915: Alfred Bannister designated managing owner.
29.6.1916: Mortgage (G) discharged.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
15.4.1931: Alfred Bannister died.
3.9.1931: Probate granted to William Barton (64/64), Grimsby.
1.12.1931: Bernard H. Bannister designated manager.
8.12.1931: William Barton shares (32/64) sold to Fred Bannister, Cleethorpes, Bernard H. Bannister, Cleethorpes, Harvey Wilfred Wilson, Grimsby & Thomas Henry Partington, Grimsby (joint owners 32/64).
31.12.1931: Bernard H. Bannister designated managing owner.
6.5.1944: Fred Bannister, Bernard H. Bannister, Harvey Wilfred Wilson & Thomas Henry Partington shares (32/64) sold to Alfred Bannister (Trawlers) Ltd (32/64), Grimsby.
6.5.1944: Fred Bannister designated manager.
16.10.1951: William Barton died.
17.4.1952: Probate granted to Elsie Barton, Gainsborough & Eric Dyson, Gainsborough, Executors (joint owners 32/64).
6.5.1952: Elsie Barton & Eric Dyson shares (32/64) sold to Alfred Bannister (Trawlers) Ltd (64/64). Grimsby.
6.5.1952: Fred Bannister designated manager.
12.1955: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
20.12.1955: Arrived Bruges.
6.1.1956: Grimsby registry closed.
Click to enlarge image
S.T. Edinboro Castle GY1285
Picture courtesy of Greenday (TPF)
13/01/2017: Page published.
17/01/2017: Minor information update.
Read / Leave a Comment
Official Number: 129236
Yard Number: 180
Gross Tonnage: 212.83
Net Tonnage: 78
Length: 111.4 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
5.6.1909: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.180) for Hellyer’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as YORICK.
12.8.1909: Registered at Hull (H49). Charles Hellyer appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 87.23 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
27.11.1919: Sold to Hull Northern Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. William R. Nowell appointed manager.
3.1.1930: Sold to Hellyer Bros. Ltd, Hull. Frank O. Hellyer & Owen S. Hellyer appointed managers.
1931: Sold to Jenkerson & Jones, Milford Haven. T. Jenkerson designated managing owner.
1932: Sold to Hellyer Bros. Ltd, Hull. Frank O. Hellyer & Owen S. Hellyer appointed managers.
14.11.1935: Sold to Alexander Hay, Aberdeen.
19.11.1935: Hull registry closed.
21.11.1935: Registered at Aberdeen (A382). Alexander Hay designated managing owner.
2.1941: Sold to Hellyer Bros. Ltd, Hull.
24.2.1941: Aberdeen registry closed.
2.1941: Registered at Hull (H410). Owen Stooks Hellyer appointed manager.
3.7.1944: Sold to Ocean Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. William Leslie Barkworth appointed manager.
27.6.1945: Sold to Eton Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby. George Gillard appointed manager
5.2.1946: Sold to Odafoam Ltd, Liverpool. William Stevenson, St. Anne’s-on-the-Sea appointed manager.
12.1946: Sold to Grateful Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen.
1.1947: Hull registry closed.
4.1.1947: Registered at Aberdeen (A247).
1955: Sold to BISCO for £2,525 and allocated to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd for breaking up at Charlestown, Fife (Contract No.86D).
2.8.1955: Delivered Charlestown from Aberdeen under own power.
8.1955: Breaking up commenced.
9.2.1956: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel broken up”.
Click to enlarge images
S.T. Yorick H410
29/11/2016: Page published.
Read / Leave a Comment