Technical

Official Number: 98752
Yard Number: 73
Completed: 1891
Gross Tonnage: 150
Net Tonnage: 59
Length: 100.5 ft
Breadth: 20.8 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Engine: 45NHP C.2-cyl and boiler by Bailey & Leatham, Hull
Speed 10 knots
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull

History

8.7.1891: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.73) for Richard Simpson, Hull as DESIDERATUM (H154).
1.8.1891: Registered at Hull (H154).
8.1891: Completed (Richard Simpson, managing owner).
23.1.1899: Sold to London & York Steam Trawling & Fish Carrying Co Ltd, Hull.
15.5.1899: Arrested by Danish gunboat GRÖSUND for alleged fishing inside territorial waters off Ringebjärg, Denmark.
16.5.1899: Skipper fined 200kr, 110kr costs and catch and part of fishing gear confiscated.
13.7.1899: Arrested by Danish fishery protection vessel SPRINGEREN for alleged fishing within Danish territorial waters off the Skaw.
1904: Sold to The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood. James A. Robertson appointed manager.
8.1.1906: Hull registry closed.
9.1.1906: Registered at Fleetwood (FD45).
10.1.1906: Mortgaged to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
22.7.1910: 14 miles SSE of Douglas Head picked up four crew of Liverpool steamer LUCY (155g/1899) which had foundered on passage Weston Point – Douglas. Landed them at Fleetwood.
1911: Sold to Westerburg & Berglund, Gothenburg.
27.9.1911: Mortgage (A) discharged.
28.9.1911: Fleetwood registry closed.
1911: Registered at Gothenburg as PYSEN (GG481).
1926: Sold to M. A. Fridberg, Lindköping.
7.3.1928: Wrecked at Espevs(a)er, Norway.

Changelog
14/05/2012: Page published. 4 updates since then.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 133443
Yard Number: 559
Completed: 1913
Gross Tonnage: 288
Net Tonnage: 115
Length: 133.5 ft
Breadth: 23.0 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Built: Cochrane & Son Ltd, Selby
Engine: 76HP T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

11.3.1913: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.559) for Pickering & Haldane’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull, as SHACKLETON.
14.6.1913: Registered at Hull (H1003).
19.6.1913: Completed. John McCann & Edward Cartwright appointed managers.
14.6.1913: Registered at Hull (H1003).
19.6.1913: Completed. John McCann & Edward Cartwright appointed managers.
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minelayer (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.3219) (P.No.N.0A/N.93).
1920: Returned.
17.5.1922: Sold to The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, Cleveleys, manager), manager).
12.7.1922: Hull registry closed.
13.7.1922: Registered at Fleetwood (FD409).
12.10.1924: James A. Robertson died.
12.10.1924: Edward Towne appointed manager.
1.3.1930: Homeward from grounds off St. Kilda (Sk.W. Wilson), in thick fog and swell lost her position when south of Islay and shaping for North Channel. Grounded and stranded amongst rocks and in rough seas on Grannan Bo, north coast of Rathlin Island. Portrush lifeboat launched and Fleetwood trawlers CUIRASS (GY436) and PHRONTIS (FD142) and steamer CARA (1856grt/1929) responded to her distress radio message. Vessels could not approach and Rathlin Lifesaving team over eleven hours in very difficult conditions, rescued all fourteen crew. Crew picked up by CUIRASS and returned to Fleetwood.
11.3.1930: Fleetwood registry closed “Total loss”. Wreck lies in 4-12m in position 55.18.45N 06.14.30W..

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Shackleton FD409

S.T. Shackleton FD409
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

S.T. Shackleton FD409 as a minelayer

S.T. Shackleton FD409 as a minelayer

S.T. Shackleton FD409

S.T. Shackleton FD409
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. Shackleton FD409

S.T. Shackleton FD409
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

Changelog
07/02/2009: Page published. 6 updates since then.
23/04/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 118780
Yard Number: 35
Completed: 1903
Gross Tonnage: 261
Net Tonnage: 95
Length: 128.3 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 12.0 ft
Engine: 70NHP T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Speed: 10.5 knots

History

26.8.1903: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley (Yd.No.35) for The Anglo-Norwegian Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as HERCULES.
9.10.1903: Completed (William R. Leyman, manager).
10.10.1903: Registered at Hull (H771).
21.10.1912: Sold to The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, manager).
25.11.1912: Hull registry closed.
26.11.1912: Registered at Fleetwood (FD172).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 103.35 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
11.1914: New boiler fitted.
20.3.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (1-12pdr).
19.4.1915: Registered at Fleetwood as HERCULES IV (FD172). Based St. Mary’s (Sk. George Birch RNR).
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
12.10.1924: Edward Towne appointed manager.
21.6.1930: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffry E. Marr, manager).
12.4.1933: In collision with AMALIA (LT241) which sustained damage.
1937: Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield (£900) for breaking up at Preston.
13.12.1937: Fleetwood registry closed “Ship broken up”.

Annex A

20.3.1915: Commissioned at Fleetwood. 22.3.1915: Arrived Devonport. Fitted out for auxiliary patrol duties (Ad.No.1361).
26.3.1915: Mounting fitted, gun not available. Allocated Unit 85 – Division D based a t St. Mary’s, Scilly Islands (Sk. George Birch RNR).
By 10.1916: 5th Division based at St. Mary’s, Scilly Islands (Sk. G. Birch RNR).
By 1.10.1918: At St. Mary’s (General Patrol and Escort work).

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Hercules FD172

S.T. Hercules FD172
Picture © John Clarkson

S.T. Hercules H771

S.T. Hercules H771
Picture courtesy The David Slinger Collection

S.T. Rachael FD2

Rachael (background) Redwing (foreground)
Hercules (alongside)
Dania (outboard)
Picture courtesy of Bill Blow

Changelog
28/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
29/01/2016: Picture added.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 136894
Yard Number: 265
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 251
Net Tonnage: 97
Length: 126.8 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Lidgerwood Ltd, Coatbridge
Built: Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Dundee

History

25.6.1914: Launched by Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Dundee (Yd.No.265) for The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood as IMELDA.
7.1914: Completed (James Herbert Marr, manager).
7.8.1914: Registered at Fleetwood (FD13).
10.9.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA & W/T) (Ad.No.519).
29.4.1915: Ty/Sk. James Alfred Springall appointed CO. Based St. Mary’s.
4.11.1916: Joseph Herbert Marr died. James Alexander Robertson appointed manager.
12.1918: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
12.10.1924: James A. Robertson died. Edward Towne, Blackpool, appointed manager.
1930: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager)
12.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (P.No. Z.136) (Hire rate £66.18.8d/month).
23.11.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T.
1944: Based at Fort William (D. MacBrayne Ltd, Glasgow, agents).
3.-8.1946: Laid up C&M at Inverness.
24.1.1947: Sold to J. N. Connel, Coatbridge for breaking up.

ANNEX A

10.9.1914: Arrived Devonport from Fleetwood. Fitted with WT and Hotchkiss 6pdr HA and fitted out for minesweeping duties (Ad.No.519).
By 1.10.1918: At St. Mary’s (General Patrol and Escort work) (Lieut. RNR).

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Imelda FD13

S.T. Imelda FD13

S.T. Imelda FD13

S.T. Imelda FD13
Picture courtesy of The Stephen Myerscough Collection

Jim Springall

Jim Springall holding a gannet
Picture courtesy of Germaine Cowell

Changelog
24/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
09/04/2017: Added image and removed FMHT watermark.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 139208
Yard Number: 275
Completed: 1915
Gross Tonnage: 270
Net Tonnage: 105
Length: 128.9 ft
Breadth: 23.0 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. Beardmore & Co Ltd, Glasgow
Built: Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Dundee

History

12.1915: Completed by Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Dundee (Yd.No.275) for the The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood as ALIDA.
10.12.1915: Registered at Fleetwood (FD192). Requisitioned by The Admiralty from the builders and fitted out as armed trawler (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.1977).
1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, manager).
12.10.1924: Edward Towne appointed manager.
20.6.1929: Pursued by HMS SPEY when illegally trawling in the Firth of Clyde.
21.6.1929: At Campbeltown Sheriff Court, Sk. William Harrison, pleaded guilty and was fined £170, to illegal trawling, concealment of identification marks and for refusing to stop. The nets and gear were ordered to be forfeited. For assaulting an AB of the boarding party, Jack Weyman, deckhand was fined £3.3s.
1930: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager).
20.10.1932: At Stornoway Sheriff Court, Sk. William Rendall Drever was fined £100 for fishing within the limit in the Minch, 21/4 miles off Tolsta. Nets and gear were forfeited and further fine of £15 was imposed for not displaying regulation lights.
22.1.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (P.No.Z.152) (Hire rate £74.5.0d/month).
23.11.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T.
23.5.1944: Assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
6.6.1944: Replaced Netherlands trawler UIVER as boom defence vessel in Mooring Force B.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
1944: Based at Felixstowe (Groom & Sons Ltd, Harwich, agents).
1946: Laid up at Felixstowe.
16.4.1947: Advertised for sale by tender and open for inspection and open for inspection. Not to be resold within two years.
24.4.1947: Tenders closed.
1947: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Alida FD192

S.T. Alida FD192

Changelog
23/01/2009: Page published. 11 revisions since then.
15/07/2015: Information updated.

Read / Leave a Comment