Tag Archives: Lancashire SFC

S.T. Luneda (1) FD230

Additional information courtesy of Birgir Þórisson

Technical

Official Number: 132412
Yard Number: 539
Completed: 1912
Gross Tonnage: 288
Net Tonnage: 116
Length: 130 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: 65hp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

14.9.1912: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.539) for The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood as LUNEDA.
7.11.1914: Completed.
8.11.1912: Registered at Fleetwood (FD230). James A. Robertson designated manager.
12.11.1912: Sailed Hull for fishing grounds and delivery Fleetwood.
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.926). Based Berehaven, Co. Cork.
1917: Icelandic trawler-owners sold 10 trawlers to the French navy. Export licence was contingent upon replacing the ships as soon as possible after the war.
1919: Icelandic trawler-owners ordered 11 new trawlers from Britain and 5 from Germany.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1920: Delivery of new Icelandic trawlers delayed, in case of England by strikes. Fearing to lose the main salting season (March-June), several owners resorted to leasing trawlers from Fleetwood.
3.1920: Hired by Icelandic owners for the salting season and based Reykjavik.
12.10.1924: James A. Robertson died.
10.1924: Alan Marr designated manager.
1.12.1925: Alan Marr died.
12.1925: Edward Towne, Blackpool designated manager.
4.1929: Geoffrey Edwards Marr designated manager.
10.1.1935 – 13.2.1935: Made three landings into Hull from Faroe grounds.
4.12.1935: Arrived Fleetwood from Faroe grounds with considerable damage to stem.
2.6.1936: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood. Geoffrey Edwards Marr designated manager.
1936: Ran aground at Faroe Isles but refloated.
8.2.1937: Sailed Fleetwood for West of Scotland grounds (Sk. Richard Snape); twelve crew.
9.2.1937: In the morning approaching Islay in heavy snowstorm, zero visibility and strong swell, struck rocks off Ardbeg, offshore of Carmichael’s Rock. Tried to refloat with engines but came fast with forepeak flooded and listed. Crew took to boat but lost their direction and with ebb drifted away from shore. As the snow storm passed the puffer PIBROCH (96grt/1923) (George C. Thomson, Master) on passage Glasgow-Port Ellen sighted the wreck and discovered her abandoned, a search to seaward in the poor visibility found the boat and the crew were landed at Ardbeg.
24.2.1937: Fleetwood registry closed “Total loss”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Luneda FD230

S.T. Luneda FD230

S.T. Luneda FD230

S.T. Luneda FD230
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Luneda FD230

S.T. Luneda FD230
Passing the ferry Bourne-May. Picture courtesy of The Peter Hearn Collection

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 2 updates since then.
19/07/2015: Picture added.
23/03/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
31/05/2019: Updated the history.

S.T. Orontes FD54

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and Milford Trawlers

Technical

Official Number 105040
Yard Number: 125
Completed: 1895
Gross Tonnage: 178
Net Tonnage: 76
Length: 111.5 ft
Breadth: 21 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Engine: 374ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley

History

30.3.1895: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley (Yd.No.125) for Thomas Hamling & Co Ltd(64/64), Hull as ORONTES.
3.5.1895: Registered at Hull (H282).
4.5.1895: Completed (Thomas Hamling, manager).
28.11.1905: Sold to James Alexander Robertson (64/64), Fleetwood.
30.12.1905: Sold to The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, manager).
8.1.1906: Hull registry closed.
9.1.1906: Registered at Fleetwood (FD54).
1909: New boiler fitted.
1912: Sold to Wallace Fisheries Ltd (64/64), Vancouver, BC.
17.2.1912: Fleetwood registry closed “no longer used for fishing purposes”.
1912: Registered at Vancouver, BC (109/1912).
1.1919: Sold to A. & R. Loggie Co Ltd (64/64), Loggieville, N B. Vancouver registry closed. Registered at Chatham, NB (1/1919).
21.6.1919: M. W. Jennison, Grimsby appointed manager.
9.7.1919: Chatham registry closed.
9.7.1919: Registered at Grimsby (GY411).
11.8.1919: Sold to Northwold Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
3.9.1919: Thomas Sowerby appointed manager.
11.3.1921: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The National Provincial & Union Bank of England Ltd, London (A).
28.1.1924: Sold by the mortgagee under mortgage (A) to Henry Peregrine Capron (32/64) & Robert Daniel Roberts (32/64), Grimsby.
31.1.1924: Robert Daniel Roberts appointed manager.
27.6.1924: Henry Peregrine Capron shares (13/64) sold to Charles Knott (13/64), Southampton.
27.6.1924: Robert Daniel Roberts shares (13/64) sold to John Burgess (13/64), Portsmouth.
20.8.1926: Charles Knott shares (13/64) sold to The Orontes Steam Fishing Co Ltd (13/64), Grimsby.
24.8.1926: John Burgess shares (13/64) sold to The Orontes Steam Fishing Co Ltd (13/64), Grimsby.
26.8.1926: Henry Peregrine Capron (19/64) & Robert Daniel Roberts (19/64) shares sold to The Orontes Steam Fishing Co Ltd (38/64), Grimsby.
17.9.1926: William Hollingsworth Johnston appointed manager.
11.2.1932: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to W. H. Johnston Ltd, Grimsby for the sum of £500 with interest at 5% (B).
2.1.1933; Mortgage (B) discharged.
2.1.1933: Sold to Alexander McKay (64/64), Hakin.
2.1.1933: Reginald Llewllyn Hancock appointed manager.
13.4.1934: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (C).
7.11.1935: Mortgage (C) discharged.
8.11.1935: Sold to Reginald Llewellyn Hancock (64/64), Hakin.
9.11.1935: Vessel mortgaged to George Frederick Lovell, Newport for the sum of £1500 with interest at 5% (D).
20.11.1935: Reginald Llewllyn Hancock appointed manager.
4.1937: Last landing at Milford. Laid up.
9.1937: Sold to shipbreakers in the Netherlands.
8.9.1937: Grimsby registry closed “ … except so far as relates to mortgage (D)”. “… on sale of vessel to foreigners (Dutch subjects) for breaking up”.
13.9.1937: Grimsby registry finally closed on discharge of mortgage (D). Receipt produced dated 17.4.1937.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Orontes FD54

S.T. Orontes FD54
Picture courtesy of Thomas Jensen

S.T. Orontes H282

S.T. Orontes H282
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
31/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Maud FD40

Technical

Official Number: 122932
Yard Number: 80
Completed: 1905
Gross Tonnage: 223
Net Tonnage: 79
Length: 125 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole

History

2.9.1905: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.80) for J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood as MAUD.
30.9.1905: James Herbert Marr, appointed as manager.
6.10.1905: Registered at Fleetwood (FD40).
10.1905: Completed.
21.11.1907: Sold to Eliza Cockcroft, Hebden Bridge (16/64); John Sutcliffe, Hebden Bridge (16/64); William Henry Sutcliffe, Blackpool (20/64) & Thomas Craston White, Fleetwood (12/64) for £6150.
23.11.1907: William Henry Sutcliffe appointed manager.
22.12.1907: Sixteen shares (E. Cockcroft) and sixteen shares (J. Sutcliffe) mortgaged to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (A) & (B).
23.12.1907: Twenty shares (W. H. Sutcliffe) and twelve shares (T. C. White) mortgaged to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd,London ((C) & (D).
26.9.1908: John Sutcliffe, Hebden Bridge died.
12.10.1908: Shares (16/64) left to John William Cockcroft, Shuttleworth and Wilfred Ogden, Hebden Bridge.
3.7.1909: John Potter (Rockcliffe Steam Fishing Co Ltd) appointed manager.
10.11.1910: Sold to The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, manager).
19.1.1912: Outward for North Channel grounds missed the Bahama lightship ran ashore at Cornaah, Isle of Man severing submarine cable between Port Cornaah – St Bees Head with her propeller. Crew rescued with assistance of local farmers.
25.1.1912: Cable repaired by MONARCH.
10.2.1912: Off Cornish coast in tow for Hull. In heavy weather shipped several seas and became waterlogged. Crew of nine left in boat and were picked up by London tug CHALLENGE and landed at Falmouth.
11.2.1912: Vessel foundered and washed into Kynance Cove, near Lizard Point.
2.3.1912: Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Maud FD40

S.T. Maud FD40
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

S.T.Maud FD40 wrecked at Kynance Cove

S.T. Maud FD40 wrecked at Kynance Cove

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
31/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Neptune FD124

Technical

Official Number: 110710
Yard Number: 256
Completed: 1899
Gross Tonnage: 172
Net Tonnage: 64
Length: 110.1 ft
Breadth: 20.9 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Muir & Houston Ltd, Glasgow
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan

History

24.3.1899: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.256) for William Widdowson, Hull (managing owner) as NEPTUNE.
4.1899: Completed.
28.4.1899: Registered at Hull (H452).
1902: New boiler fitted (made 1898).
4.1907: Sold to The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
1.5.1907: Mortgaged to William Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
18.9.1907: Hull registry closed.
19.9.1907: Registered at Fleetwood (FD124).
19.9.1907: James A. Robertson appointed manager.
24.1.1912: Mortgage (A) discharged.
26.2.1912: Eight shares sold to John Worthington Golding, Fleetwood.
26.2.1912: Eight shares J. W. Golding) mortgaged for £320 @5% to The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (B).
22.8.1913: Mortgage (B) discharged.
23.8.1913: Eight shares (J.W. Golding) sold to The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, manager).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 67.20net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
5.1914: Sold to Haugesunds Sparebank, Haugesund.
16.5.1914: Fleetwood registry closed.
5.1914: Renamed BORDEYRI.
Pre 1927: Sold to S. Sandved, Haugesund.
Pre 1930: Sold to M. Salomonsen, Kopervik.
1936: Sold to A/S Havöy, Haugesund, Norway (J. Kyvik & S. Fresvig, managers). Renamed HAVÖY.
1944: Sold to J. Taranger, Bergen. Renamed TORHAV.
1956: Sold for breaking up.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Neptune FD124

S.T. Neptune FD124
Picture courtesy of Alan Hirst

Changelog
18/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
18/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Scorpion FD165

Additional information courtesy of Geoff Davidson

Technical

Official Number: 98764
Yard Number: 37
Completed: 1891
Gross Tonnage: 154.94
Net Tonnage: 56.57
Length: 100.5 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Glasgow
Engine: C.2-cyl by Muir & Houston, Glasgow

History

17.9.1891: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Glasgow (Yd.No.37) for The British Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as SCORPION.
6.10.1891: Registered at Hull (H166).
10.1891: Completed (William L. Robins, manager).
7.2.1893: On the North Sea fishing grounds, towing the starboard gear on a heading SbyW. Mate, Rowlands, in charge of watch with James Mathews, deckhand, as lookout; mate was asleep. Look out observed the Hull smack GARNETT BROTHERS (H1390) with gear down towing in a Northerly direction, he saw the smack’s light fall but did either alter course or rouse the mate. When a collision was inevitable Mathews woke the mate by shouting “Man overboard”. The mate ran to the wheel, but too late to alter course and rang the telegraph for full speed astern, but before stern way was on her she struck the smack. Severely damaged the GARNETT BROTHERS started to settle and crew was taken onboard before the smack foundered.
3.3.1893: At BOT formal inquiry held at Hull, the Court found that the collision was due to the SCORPION having failed to comply with article 17 of the Regulations for Preventing Collision at Sea and adjudged that the certificate of the mate, Rowlands, be suspended for twelve months and that of the deckhand, Mathews, be cancelled and to pay £10 towards the cost of the inquiry.
14.2.1899: Arrived Hull following severe storm and landed boatswain with leg broken.
4.7.1899: In the salvage action between the SCORPION and the Danish steamer N. G. PETERSON (1282grt/??) in which the trawler had offered towage services, which were afterwards declined. The master of the steamer had originally intended to employ the SCORPION to tow him to Sunderland, but another vessel took him in tow. The Judge, Mr Justice Bucknill gave judgement in favour of the SCORPION and awarded £150 and costs.
7.1.1905: Outward from Hull for Dogger Bank grounds; nine hands all told. At about 4.30pm. when some 90 miles ENE of Spurn Point, saw a steamer on the port bow. The weather was stormy and a heavy sea was running. At about 5.00pm. distress rockets were seen and the trawler closed the steamer which proved to be the London registered ANNANDALE (1526grt/1878). In response to a hail, the master replied that his rudder was broken and “ could you manage to steer me in”. The skipper of the SCORPION answered “yes” and was told to come in and make fast. After many attempts a line was secured. During the night the wind increased to a heavy gale.
8.1.1905: At 7.30am. Flamborough Head was sighted and they continued on their way with the Hull tug ORION (83grt/1900) assisting. At 9.00pm. the ANNANDALE was delivered to safe anchorage in the Humber.
22.3.1905: In the Admiralty Division of the High Court, London owners of the SCORPION sought salvage money for the incident. In giving judgement, Mr Justice Deane remarked that the ship was able to use her own engine and only required the trawler to steer her and thought the proper reward was £400 for salvage service, £75 for repairs and loss of fishing, making £475 in total.
4.11.1912: Sold to James Alexander Robertson, Fleetwood.
15.11.1912: Hull registry closed.
16.11.1912: Registered at Fleetwood (FD165).
7.12.1912: Sold to The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, manager).
2.1913: Sold to Charles James Smith, Scarborough.
25.2.1913: Fleetwood registry closed.
26.2.1913: Registered at Scarborough (SH182). James Johnson appointed manager.
9.5.1913: Sold to Dogger Bank Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Scarborough. Richard W. Crawford appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 63.71 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
4.6.1917: Sold to Dixon Chew, Scarborough (trading as Scorpion Steam Trawling Co). Dixon Chew designated managing owner.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
22.3.1918: Dyke Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Scarborough registered as a private company with a capital of £9,000 in £1 shares to take over the business of “Scorpion Steam Trawling Co” including the steam trawler SCORPION. Directors are H. Crowther, R. W. Crawford, J. Johnson and J. Scatchard, all Scarborough.
25.11.1918: Sold to George Henry Cambridge, Filey James Johnson, Scarborough appointed manager.
1919: Released.
1919: Fishing out of Lowestoft.
1921: Returned to Scarborough.
1927: Sold for breaking up.
1927: Scarborough registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Scorpion FD165

S.T. Scorpion FD165
Picture © John Clarkson

Changelog
16/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
20/01/2016: Information updated.
30/01/2016: Significant information update.
13/04/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.