Tag Archives: Lancashire SFC

S.T. Vera H960

Technical

Official Number: 124791
Yard Number: 150
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 333
Net Tonnage: 149
Length: 140 ft
Breadth: 23.7 ft
Depth: 12.4 ft
Engine: 87nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Speed: 10.5 knots

History

27.7.1907: Launched by Cook Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.150) for Humber Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as VERA.
27.9.1907: Completed (Richard H. Hobbs, manager).
8.10.1907: Registered at Hull (H960).
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.1569). Based Larne.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
1920: Sold to Fresh Fish Supplies Ltd, Hull (Thomas Nightingale, manager).
1923: Sold to Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, Cleveleys, manager).
5.3.1925: Stranding at Myrdalssandur, south coast of Iceland; crew saved. Vessel declared a Total loss.
1.5.1925: Hull registry closed “Total loss”.

Changelog
08/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. Rosa Maris FD43

Technical

Official Number: 144070
Yard Number: 436
Completed: 1920
Gross Tonnage: 246
Net Tonnage: 92
Length: 117.4 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 12.5 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

24.5.1920: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.436) for Charles H. George, Caister on Sea, Gt Yarmouth as ROSA MARIS.
11.1920: Completed.
1.1921: Sold to Wilberforce Steamship Fishing Co Ltd, Scarborough (William F. Smith, Filey, manager).
10.2.1921: Registered at Hull (H248).
1925: Sold to Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Edward Towne, Blackpool, manager).
2.6.1925: Registered at Fleetwood (FD43).
6.6.1925: Hull registry closed.
16.1.1929: Struck Red Rock, East Eriskay Sound, Outer Hebrides. Vessel in a dangerous position; crew saved. Abandoned as total loss.
13.2.1929: Fleetwood registry closed “Total loss”.

Note from Don MacPhee
I took a party of divers out to the Red Rocks off Hartamul (east of Eriskay) in 1983. We found the first part of the name ROSA in brass lettering along with the usual debris. Now know that it was off the ROSA MARIS, wrecked 1929. There is also the remains of an unidentified wooden hulled steam powered vessel hard against the south east base of Hartamul, local scalloper VIRGO regularly bagged up the coal from her.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Rosa Maris FD43

S.T. Rosa Maris FD43

S.T. Rosa Maris FD43

S.T. Rosa Maris FD43

Changelog
04/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.

S.T. Phoebe FD121

Technical

Official Number: 124692
Yard Number: ?
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 278
Net Tonnage: 99
Length: 130.9 ft
Breadth: 22.8 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Boiler: Wallsend Slipway & Engineering Co Ltd, Wallsend-on-Tyne
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole

History

13.7.1907: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.) for Louis Cohen (64/64), Norbreck as PHOEBE.
3.9.1907: Mortgaged to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
10.9.1907: Completed and registered at Fleetwood (FD121).
20.6.1912: Mortgage (A) discharged.
21.6.1912: Sold to Phoebe Hoyle (64/64), Halifax.
22.6.1912: Sold to George E. J. Moody (64/64), Grimsby.
24.6.1912: George E. J. Moody appointed managing owner.
26.6.1912: Sold to The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood.
12.7.1912: James A. Robertson appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 108.58 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
4.10.1916: Sold to The Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (James W. Armitage, Fleetwood, manager).
1916: At Fleetwood. Fitted with Hotchkiss 6pdr gun (No.1234); complement increased by two gunners.
3.1917: At Fleetwood. Fitted with Hotchkiss 12pdr gun (No.6684).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve. Renamed PHOEBE III (FD121).
1919: Released and reverted to PHOEBE (FD121).
9.1919: Sold to Bachao, Neunes & Machado Ltd, Lisbon.
26.9.1919: Sale approved by BoT.
17.10.1919: Fleetwood registry closed.
10.1919: Registered at Lisbon as CINTRA.
1930: Sold to Corporacâo de Pilotos do Rio e Barra de Lisboa, Lisbon. Registered at Lisbon as PAIVA CURADO.
1939: Sold to Sociedade de Pesca à Vapor “O Exportador” Ltda, Lisbon. Registered at Lisbon as EXPORTADOR SEGUNDO.
1.11.1954: Reported position between Cap Jurby and Cap Blanc.
5.11.1954: Failed to arrive at Lisbon: overdue from this date, twenty-three crew missing presumed lost.

Changelog
03/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.

S.T. Moth FD167

Additional information courtesy of Göran Ollson

Technical

Official Number: 98736
Yard Number: 24
Completed 1891
Gross Tonnage: 149
Net Tonnage: 48
Length: 100.5 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Engine: C.2-cyl by Muir & Houston, Glasgow
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan

History

22.4.1891: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.24) for The British Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as MOTH.
5.1891: Completed (William L. Robins, manager).
21.5.1891: Registered at Hull (H139).
2.11.1912: Sold to James Alexander Robertson, Fleetwood (managing owner).
15.11.1912: Hull registry closed.
16.11.1912: Registered at Fleetwood (FD167).
7.12.1912: The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, manager).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 55.16 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.1914: Sold to Fiskeri A.B. Sälen, Gothenburg (A. Th. Assmundsson, manager).
1.7.1914: Fleetwood registry closed
7.1914: Registered at Gothenburg as GILBERT (GG584).
28.8.1918: At about 1910 left fishing grounds off Hirtshals, Denmark for the Swedish west coast in company with Gullholmen steam trawler GUERNSEY (LL936).
29.8.1918: In the early morning in bad weather with SE wind and drizzle, when approaching Mastrandsfjord with the intention of sailing the inshore route from Marstrandsfjorden to Gothenburg, between 0200 and 0300 they met an outbound steamer. GILBERT went ahead of the steamer and GUERNSEY behind and just after the steamer passed the crew of GUERNSEY heard a loud explosion from the direction of the GILBERT. There is no doubt that the GILBERT had been mined, but in view of the weather and the possibility of further mines the crew of the GUERNSEY refused to go near the area where the GILBERT was lost with her crew of ten. Gothenburg registry closed.

Changelog
29/12/2008: Page published. 6 updates since then.

S.T. Merrydale (1) FD77

Technical

Official Number: 122942
Yard Number: 263
Completed: 1906
Gross Tonnage: 225
Net Tonnage: 72
Length: 125.2 ft
Breadth: 21.7 ft
Depth: 11.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Boiler: A. & W. Dalglish, Pollockshaws, Glasgow
Built: J. Duthie, Sons & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

10.5.1906: Launched by J. Duthie, Sons & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.263) for Tettenhall Steam Fishing Co of Fleetwood Ltd, Fleetwood as MERRYDALE.
18.7.1906: Registered at Fleetwood (FD77), Louis Cohen, Norbreck appointed manager.
31.7.1906: Mortgaged to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
31.7.1906: Completed.
11.8.1909: Mortgaged to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood B). James H. Marr appointed manager.
9.10.1913: Mortgage (A) discharged.
10.10.1913: Mortgage (B) discharged.
10.10.1913: Mortgaged to J. Marr & Con Ltd, Fleetwood (C).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 91.11net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
1914: New boiler fitted.
7.5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr & cruiser mine) (Ad.No.1759). Based Falmouth*.
2.11.1916: James A. Robertson appointed manager.
1.10.1918: Mortgaged (C) discharged.
18.10.1918: Sold to The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson appointed manager).
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
18.6.1919: Sold to Victory Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood (Walter Morley, manager).
1928: Sold to North Star Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (John A. Harrow, manager).
4.4.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.
10.4.1928: Registered at Aberdeen (A334).
1937: Sold to Metal Industries Ltd (£800) for breaking up at Rosyth, Fife (Contract No.15E).
5.1937: Delivered Rosyth from Aberdeen under own power.
2.6.1937: Breaking up commenced.
22.6.1937: Aberdeen registry closed “Broken up”.

Note*: Sk. William Bell RNR of Preston was awarded the DSC along with others “… in recognition of their services in minesweeping operations between the 1st April and 31st December, 1917”.

Annex A

7.5.1915: Commissioned at Fleetwood.
8.5.1915: Arrived Devonport. Fitted with Hotchkiss 3pdr and fitted out for minesweeping duties and carrying cruiser mine (Ad.No.1759).
10.1916: Allocated to Unit No.62 – Section H, 2nd Division based Falmouth (Sk. W. Bell RNR).
By 1.10.1918: At Falmouth minesweeping.

Click to enlarge images

Sk. William Bell D.S.C.

Sk. William Bell D.S.C.
Picture courtesy of Val & Harry Silburn

Letter from Admiralty

Letter from Admiralty
Picture courtesy of Val & Harry Silburn

William Bell's DSC

William Bell’s DSC
Picture courtesy of Val & Harry Silburn

Changelog
27/12/2008: Page published. 5 updates since then.