Tag Archives: Iago

S.T. Norse (2) – H141

Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 162209
Yard Number: 560
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 351
Net Tonnage: 138
Length: 140.3 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Breadth: 13.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl (600ihp) and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

6.11.1930: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.560) for Hellyer Bros Ltd as NORSE.
3.12.1930: Registered at Hull (H141). Frank Orlando & Owen Snooks Hellyer appointed joint managers.
15.12.1930: Completed. Insured for £16,500.
18.12.1930: Sailed on first trip to Norwegian Coast (Sk.Sydney Herbert Meggett); fourteen crew all told.
8.1.1931: At Hull landed 1,781 kits £1,915 gross.
1931: Landings – 334days at sea, 19,100 kits £15,097 gross.
20.7.1939: Sailed Hull for Icelandic grounds (Sk.Henry Leads) last trip before sale.
8.8.1938: At Hull landed 1,202 kits £841 gross.
9.8.1939: Sold to Shire Trawlers Ltd, Grimsby for the sum of £12,400.
11.8.1939: Hull registry closed.
14.8.1939: Registered at Grimsby (GY197).
29.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr HA/LA, AA weapons) (P.No.FY1628) (Hire rate £174.0.9d/month).
12.1940: At Sheerness un-grouped (Ty/Sk. Charles S. Larter DSC RNR).
3.9.1940: Sk. Larter Mentioned in Despatches for bravery, skill and enterprise in Minesweeping operations off the Coasts of Holland, Belgium and France.
5.9.1940: Sk. Charles W. H. Shearing RNR appointed CO.
1.11.1940: Sk.Charles Whitworth appointed CO.
8.1.1941: At Sheerness with M/S Group 121 ((Ty/Sk. J. T. Salter RNR).
25.6.1941: Joined escort of Convoy OG 66, Liverpool for Gibraltar (Ty/Lieut. John Charles Staniland RNR).
8.7.1941: Arrived Gibraltar. Mediterranean Command.
10.1943: Ty/Lieut. William Ian Brooks RNVR appointed CO.
6.1944: Employed on miscellaneous naval duties (Ty/ Lieut. Philip Winton Jequier RNVR).
10.11.1944: Returned to owner.
2.1945: Restored and surveyed at Middlesbrough.
26.10.1945: Sold to Partnership (Hull) Ltd, Hull.
31.10.1945: Grimsby registry closed.
6.11.1945: Registered at Hull (H141). Kenneth Percival appointed manager/Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd agents. Insured for £30,000.
29.10.1945: Sailed Hull for Icelandic grounds (Sk. Harry Fletcher, Grimsby); twenty crew all told.
26.11.1945: At Hull landed 573 kits £2,771 gross.
8.3.1946: Sailed Hull for Norway Coast (Sk. Frederick Pitts) last trip before sale.
30.3.1946: At Hull landed 1,909 kits £6,146 gross.
29.10.1945 – 30.3.1946: Landings – 128 days at sea, 5,604 kits £19,770.
15.4.1946: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood. Cdr. E. D. W. Lawford DSO appointed manager. Hull manager Percy Lincoln Campbell.
15.4.1946: Lt Cdr Eric George Littler, DSC RNR, Fleetwood appointed skipper.
11.1946: Sold to p/f Jacob Haraldsen’s Efterfölgere, Fuglefjord, Faroe Islands.
28.11.1946: Hull registry closed. 12.1946: Registered at Fuglefjord as KROSS-STEINYU (aka KROSSSTEINUR) (FD88). A/S Kristian Haraldsen & J. P. Gregerson appointed managers.
10.1955: Sold to A/S H.J. Hansen, Odense, for breaking up.
1955: Fuglefjord registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Krosssteinur FD88

S.T. Krosssteinur FD88

Changelog
15/11/2016: Page published.
17/11/2016: Information updated.

S.T. Admiral Sir John Lawford LO42

Technical

Official Number: 161474
Yard Number: 929
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 338
Net Tonnage: 127
Length: 133.7 ft
Breadth: 25.0 ft
Depth: 13.6 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough
Boiler: Blair & Co Ltd, Stockton
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Stockton-on-Tees

History

11.6.1930: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Stockton-on-Tees (Yd.No.929) for the Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood as ADMIRAL SIR JOHN LAWFORD.
24.7.1930: Registered at London (LO42).
8.1930: Completed (Edward D. W. Lawford, manager). Fitted with radio telephone.
31.1.1939: Inwards from the fishing grounds in Wyre Channel collided with steam trawler GEORGE COUSINS (LO66).
29.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service on examination service and as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (P.No.FY.533) (Hire rate £167.11.10d/month).
26.1.1943: A/Capt Edward Douglas Wyndham Lawford RN awarded DSO for service in HMS POZARICA (P.No.4.261) A/A ship on Russian convoys.
1.1944: Fitted out for wreck dispersal duties (P.No. 4.415) and assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy Landings; in readiness at Penarth.
11.6.1944: Sailed Plymouth for Normandy. Employed on wreck dispersal and anchor recovery work.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
12.1.1946: Returned to owner.
11.1946: Converted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150°.
12.8.1958: Sold to Milford Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Milford Haven (Ernest Johnson, manager).
21.8.1958: Registered at Milford (M224).
6.9.1958: Registered at Milford as MILFORD ADMIRAL (M224).
19.10.1961: Milford Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Milford Haven (W. H. Kerr, managers) in liquidation.
12.1961: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
8.1.1962: Delivered Briton Ferry.
26.7.1962: Milford registry closed, breaking up completed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Admiral Sir John Lawford LO42

S.T. Admiral Sir John Lawford LO42
Picture from the Internet

Admiral Sir John Lawford LO42

Admiral Sir John Lawford LO42
Picture from the Internet

HMT Admiral Sir John Lawford

HMT Admiral Sir John Lawford
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Admiral Sir John Lawford LO42

S.T. Admiral Sir John Lawford LO42
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
19/05/2012: Page published. 4 revisions since then.
24/08/2014: Picture added.
10/08/2016: Picture added.
13/01/2017: Removed three disputed images.
19/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
20/06/2019: Minor information update.

S.T. Red Rose LO85

Technical

Official Number: 183217
Yard Number: 221
Completed: 1950
Gross Tonnage: 674
Net Tonnage: 237
Length: 180.5 ft
Breadth: 30.2 ft
Depth: 16.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by John Lewis & Son Ltd, Aberdeen (E.No.293)
Boiler: John G. Kincaid & Co Ltd, Greenock. Fitted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150 ° F
Built: John Lewis & Son Ltd, Aberdeen

History

22.12.1949: Launched by John Lewis & Son Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.221) for Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Fleetwood as RED ROSE.
11.4.1950: Trials in Aberdeen Bay and accepted. Registered at London (LO85). Capt. E. D. W. Lawford DSO appointed manager.
26.04.1951: Outwards for fishing grounds grounded on Tiger’s Tail at the entrance to the dock.
27.04.1951: Refloated and proceeded on voyage.
1952?: Homeward from Icelandic grounds (Sk. Jim McKernan) sighted coaster STRAIDE (326grt/1917) off Crammag Head, Rinns of Galloway, disabled with boiler trouble. Connected and delivered to Larne.
3.5.1954: Last landing at Fleetwood 1,251 boxes/80 baskets grossed £3,040.
5.1954: Sold to Lord Line Ltd, Hull (Thomas W. Boyd, manager).
11.5.1954: Sailed Fleetwood for Iceland on first trip for new owners (Sk. E. Clark).
29.5.1954: At Hull landed 2,559 kits grossed £4,452.
5.1954: London registry closed.
5.1954: Registered at Hull as LORD HOWE (H19).
3.7.1954: Sailed Hull for White Sea (Sk. E. Clark).
29.7.1954: At Hull landed 2,306 kits grossed £7,431.
4.1963: Transferred within the Associated Fisheries Group to Northern Trawlers Ltd, Grimsby.
4.1963: Hull registry closed.
4.1963: Registered at Grimsby (GY82).
5.1971: Sold for breaking up.
5.1971: Grimsby registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Red Rose LO85

S.T. Red Rose LO85
Picture courtesy of The David Buckley Collection

S.T. Red Rose LO85

S.T. Red Rose LO85

S.T. Red Rose LO85

S.T. Red Rose LO85
Picture courtesy of Harold Beswick

S.T. Red Rose LO85

S.T. Red Rose LO85
Picture courtesy of Stephen Myerscough

S.T. Red Rose LO85

S.T. Red Rose LO85
Picture courtesy of Stephen Myerscough

S.T. Red Rose LO85

S.T. Red Rose LO85

Changelog
30/04/2009: Page published. 8 updates since then.
15/03/2017: Added image and removed FMHT logo from others.

S.T. Red Gauntlet (1) LO33

Technical

Oficial Number: 161463.
Yard Number: 928
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 388
Net Tonnage: 128
Length: 133.7 ft
Breadth: 25.0 ft
Depth: 13.6 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesborough
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough

History

11.6.1930: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Stockton-on-Tees (Yd.No.928) for Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Edward D. W. Lawford, manager) as RED GAUNTLET.
7.1930: Completed.
17.7.1930: Registered at London (LO33).
8.1930: Fitted with radio telephone.
7.3.1932: Inbound Wyre Dock struck dock wall and sustained damage to stem and shell plates.
29.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.900)(Hire rate £167.11.10d/month).
5.8.1943: Lost by E-boat (S-86) attack while sweeping off Felixstowe; crew lost (Ty.Lieut. J. N. Childs RNVR).
6.8.1943: One body picked up by RAF rescue launch.

(MPK – Ty.Lieut. J. N. Childs RNVR – CO; Walter Govis, 2nd Hand; Thomas W. Davies, Thomas R. Godfrey, Edwad H. Judd, Enginemen; John A. H. Heather, Telegraphist; Eric W. Eames, Ldg Cook; Patrick Coleman, John Craig, Joseph Frankist, James P. Lees, Angus Maclean, Roderick McKinnon, Arthur Phillips, seamen; Alexander G. Bunyan, Arthur L. Lang, John Legg, Robert McLean, stokers; James Porteous, steward; Robert J. L. Roberts, Ord. Signalman.
Killed – Donald H. W. Hunnisett, Ldg Sea)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Red Gauntlet LO33

S.T. Red Gauntlet LO33
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Red Gauntlet LO33

S.T. Red Gauntlet LO33
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. Red Gauntlet LO33

S.T. Red Gauntlet LO33
Picture courtesy of Stephen Myerscough

Changelog
30/04/2009: Page published. 8 Updates since then.

S.T. Fyldea FD72

Additional information courtesy of David Parkinson

Technical

Official Number: 162058
Yard Number: 1072
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 355
Net Tonnage: 141
Length: 140.4 ft
Breadth: 25 ft
Depth: 13.4 ft
Engine T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

(In 1935 the Hull trawler Leonidas (162186) (H267) was lengthened by Smiths Dock Co. Ltd. The work involved creating an improved hull form with new bow and stern sections. The design was successful, not only providing increased fish room capacity, but also, as was expected, reducing coal consumption and giving a slightly higher free running speed. Other owners stemmed vessels at Middlesbrough for similar work to be undertaken)
T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull

15.2.1930: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1072) for J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood as FYLDEA.
24.3.1930: Registered at Fleetwood (FD72).
29.3.1930: Completed. Geoffrey Edwards Marr designated manager.
05.11.1931: Took off crew of trawler CRISCILLA (FD23) stranded 2 miles N by E of McArthur’s Head, Sound of Islay.
26.4.1934: The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull bought by J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood.
1934: Transferred to fish out of Hull, working Bear Island and Iceland. Crewed and operated by The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. Leslie J. Marr, Thornton-le-Fylde designated manager (Fred Crawforth manager and fish salesman at Hull).
1934: Transferred to fish out of Hull, working Iceland. Crewed and operated by The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. Leslie J. Marr, Thornton-le-Fylde designated manager (Fred Crawforth manager and fish salesman at Hull).
1935: Landed at Hull from Bear Island/Iceland (Sks. Pennington, Flint, Crewdson). 309 days 19,438 kits £11,891 gross.
21.7.1936: Completed lengthening by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough to 151.5 feet (including fitting new bow and stern sections). Re measured 377g 149n.
1937: Insured value £12,000.
1.1.1938: Insured value £13,000.
25.7.1939: Insured value £16,500.
3.8.1939: Sailed Hull for Bear Island (Sk. H. French).
21.8.1939: At Hull landed 1,547 kits £1,666 gross.
1939: To requisitioning, at Hull landed from White Sea/Iceland/Bear Island (Sks. W. Dreever, W. Chard, H. French), 209 days 12,396 kits 13,262 gross. 2.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (magnetic) (P.No.FY.666) (Hire rate £202.12.11d/month).
20-26.5.1940: Evacuation from Boulogne, Calais & Dunkirk.
25.5.1940: Sailed Dover for Calais (Sk. G. Whamond RNR) in company with the trawlers ARLEY (P.No.FY.620) (FD44), BOTANIC (P.No.FY.707) (FD47), BROCK (P.No.FY.621) (FD47), CALVI (GY269), MARETTA (P.No.FY.665) (FD45), POLLY JOHNSON (H322) and drifters PLAYMATES (P.No.FY.738) (YH141) and WILLING BOYS (P.No.FY.947) (LT737) with several river launches in tow.
26.5.1940: At 0140 arrived off the French coast. No evacuation order given. Returned to Dover.
26.5.1940: At 1857 ‘Operation Dynamo’ (Dunkirk evacuation) put into effect.
27.5.1940: At 1140 sailed Dover with HM Minesweepers HALCYON (P.No.N42) and SKIPJACK (P.No.N38) to establish a middle route to Dunkirk: this became route X.
29.5.1940: At 1330 entered Dunkirk harbour in company with ARLEY to pull the fully laden passenger steamer LOCHGARRY (1280grt/1898) away from the east pier; occupied the vacant berth. BROCK, CALVI, JOHN CATTLING and POLLY JOHNSON berthed, triple banked. At 1530 attacked by German aircraft (Junkers Ju87, Stuka dive bombers), CALVI sunk alongside and POLLY JOHNSON badly damaged. Having embarked troops on leaving, POLLY JOHNSON started to founder. Ordered to take off her troops and sink her by gunfire. BROCK developed engine trouble but managed to make Dover at half speed after her troops were transferred to FYLDEA.
30.5.1940: At 0400 arrived Dover with 41 troops.
01.6.1940: Sailed Dover for Dunkirk towing fishing vessel BRITTANIA IV. At Dunkirk BRITTANIA IV ferried troops onboard and to other vessels.
2.6.1940: At 0315 arrived Dover with 139 troops.
4.6.1940: ‘Operation Dynamo’ terminated.
30.1.1942: Based Lowestoft. Shot down German aircraft (JU88) near 54G buoy off Norfolk coast; one body recovered.
11.1945: Reclassed at Glasgow.
12.1945: Returned to owner.
1945: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.12.1945: Registered at Hull (H160).
26.9.1946: Sold to The Ocean Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull.
3.7.1947: Registered at Hull as Howard (H160). William Leslie Barkworth designated manager.
11.1947: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Fleetwood.
12.11.1947: Hull registry closed.
1.1948: Registered at London as Red Dragon (LO381). Cdr. E. D. W. Lawford DSO designated manager.
11.11.1949: Landed from a White Sea Trip, 1554 kits (1450 boxes), £4,015 gross.
15.2.1958: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
18.2.1958: Arrived Barrow from Fleetwood. London registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Fyldea FD72

S.T. Fyldea FD72
Picture courtesy of The David Parkinson Collection

S.T. Fyldea FD72 as a minesweeper

S.T. Fyldea FD72 as a minesweeper
Picture courtesy of The David Parkinson Collection

S.T. Fyldea FD72

S.T. Fyldea FD72
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

HMT Fyldea

HMT Fyldea
Picture courtesy of The Imperial War Museum

S.T. Fyldea FD72

S.T. Fyldea FD72
Picture courtesy of The David Parkinson Collection

Changelog
28/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
12/04/2015: Picture added.
14/02/2019: Image added.
15/05/2019: Updated the history for this vessel.