Additional information courtesy of David Parkinson
Official Number: 162058
Yard Number: 1072
Gross Tonnage: 355
Net Tonnage: 141
Length: 140.4 ft
Breadth: 25 ft
Depth: 13.4 ft
Engine T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Note: In 1935 the Hull trawler Leonidas (162186) (H267) was lengthened by Smiths Dock Co. Ltd. The work involved creating an improved hull form with new bow and stern sections. The design was successful, not only providing increased fish room capacity, but also, as was expected, reducing coal consumption and giving a slightly higher free running speed. Other owners stemmed vessels at Middlesbrough for similar work to be undertaken
15.2.1930: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1072) for J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood as FYLDEA.
24.3.1930: Registered at Fleetwood (FD72).
29.3.1930: Completed. Geoffrey Edwards Marr designated manager.
05.11.1931: Took off crew of trawler CRISCILLA (FD23) stranded 2 miles N by E of McArthur’s Head, Sound of Islay.
26.4.1934: The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull bought by J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood.
1934: Transferred to fish out of Hull, working Bear Island and Iceland. Crewed and operated by The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. Leslie J. Marr, Thornton-le-Fylde designated manager (Fred Crawforth manager and fish salesman at Hull).
1934: Transferred to fish out of Hull, working Iceland. Crewed and operated by The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. Leslie J. Marr, Thornton-le-Fylde designated manager (Fred Crawforth manager and fish salesman at Hull).
1935: Landed at Hull from Bear Island/Iceland (Sks. Pennington, Flint, Crewdson). 309 days 19,438 kits £11,891 gross.
21.7.1936: Completed lengthening by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough to 151.5 feet (including fitting new bow and stern sections). Re measured 377g 149n.
1937: Insured value £12,000.
1.1.1938: Insured value £13,000.
25.7.1939: Insured value £16,500.
3.8.1939: Sailed Hull for Bear Island (Sk. H. French).
21.8.1939: At Hull landed 1,547 kits £1,666 gross.
1939: To requisitioning, at Hull landed from White Sea/Iceland/Bear Island (Sks. W. Dreever, W. Chard, H. French), 209 days 12,396 kits 13,262 gross.
2.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (magnetic) (P.No.FY.666) (Hire rate £202.12.11d/month).
20-26.5.1940: Evacuation from Boulogne, Calais & Dunkirk.
25.5.1940: Sailed Dover for Calais (Sk. G. Whamond RNR) in company with the trawlers ARLEY (P.No.FY.620) (FD44), BOTANIC (P.No.FY.707) (FD47), BROCK (P.No.FY.621) (FD47), CALVI (GY269), MARETTA (P.No.FY.665) (FD45), POLLY JOHNSON (H322) and drifters PLAYMATES (P.No.FY.738) (YH141) and WILLING BOYS (P.No.FY.947) (LT737) with several river launches in tow.
26.5.1940: At 0140 arrived off the French coast. No evacuation order given. Returned to Dover.
26.5.1940: At 1857 ‘Operation Dynamo’ (Dunkirk evacuation) put into effect.
27.5.1940: At 1140 sailed Dover with HM Minesweepers HALCYON (P.No.N42) and SKIPJACK (P.No.N38) to establish a middle route to Dunkirk: this became route X.
29.5.1940: At 1330 entered Dunkirk harbour in company with ARLAY to pull the fully laden passenger steamer LOCHGARRY (1280grt/1898) away from the east pier; occupied the vacant berth. BROCK, CALVI, JOHN CATTLING and POLLY JOHNSON berthed, triple banked. At 1530 attacked by German aircraft (Junkers Ju87, Stuka dive bombers), CALVI sunk alongside and POLLY JOHNSON badly damaged. Having embarked troops on leaving, POLLY JOHNSON started to founder. Ordered to take off her troops and sink her by gunfire. BROCK developed engine trouble but managed to make Dover at half speed after her troops were transferred to FYLDEA.
30.5.1940: At 0400 arrived Dover with 41 troops.
01.6.1940: Sailed Dover for Dunkirk towing fishing vessel BRITTANIA IV. At Dunkirk BRITTANIA IV ferried troops onboard and to other vessels.
2.6.1940: At 0315 arrived Dover with 139 troops.
4.6.1940: ‘Operation Dynamo’ terminated.
30.1.1942: Based Lowestoft. Shot down German aircraft (JU88) near 54G buoy off Norfolk coast; one body recovered.
11.1945: Reclassed at Glasgow.
12.1945: Returned to owner.
1945: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.12.1945: Registered at Hull (H160).
26.9.1946: Sold to The Ocean Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull.
3.7.1947: Registered at Hull as HOWARD (H160). William Leslie Barkworth designated manager.
11.1947: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Fleetwood.
12.11.1947: Hull registry closed.
1.1948: Registered at London as RED DRAGON (LO381). Cdr. E. D. W. Lawford DSO designated manager.
11.11.1949: Landed from a White Sea Trip, 1554 kits (1450 boxes), £4,015 gross.
15.2.1958: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
18.2.1958: Arrived Barrow from Fleetwood. London registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
28/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
12/04/2015: Picture added.
14/02/2019: Image added.
15/05/2019: Updated the history for this vessel.
17/10/2020: Updated history.