Technical

Official Number: 148956
Yard Number: 696
Completed: 1928
Gross Tonnage: 218
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 117.5 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

28.8.1928: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.696) for Aberdeen Steam Trawling & Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (George Massie, manager) as STRATHGYLE.
18.9.1928: Registered at Aberdeen (A367).
9.1928: Completed.
28.4.30: In dense fog ashore on a reef at the Pentland Skerries. Refloated with help of Stroma fishermen; Longhope lifeboat stood by.
20.11.1937: Sank alongside quay at Pointlaw, Aberdeen.
28.11.1937: Salved. Later repaired and returned to service.
1938: W. Rhind appointed manager.
12.1942: Sold to Jutland Amalgamated Trawlers Ltd, Hull (E. Cargill, manager).
26.12.1942: Aberdeen registry closed.
2.1.1943: Registered at Hull (H30).
12.1945: Sold to The Brixham Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Dugdall & Son, managers).
1946: Renamed JAY (H30).
2.2.1953: Last landing at Fleetwood.
3.2.1953: Sold to Clova Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (David Wood, manager).
6.1953: Hull registry closed. Renamed STRATHELLIOTT (A46).
1961: Sold for breaking up.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Jay H30

S.T. Jay H30
Picture courtesy of Fred Baker

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of Barry Johnson

Technical

Official Number: ??
Completed: 1897
Gross Tonnage: 22.69
Net Tonnage: 8.68
Length: 39.6 ft
Breadth: 14.3 ft
Depth: 8.58 ft
Built: ??, Porthleven

History

Cutter – trawling

1897: Completed by ??, Porthleven for ??, ?? as VICTORIA II.
1917: Sold to William Henry Fransham, 4 Gwili Road, Hakin; Henry James Hewer, 75 Waterloo Road, Hakin and Thomas Legget, 59 Waterloo Road, Hakin.
27.4.1917: Registered at Milford (M112).
1918: Auxiliary motor installed.
22.4.1918: Sold to Carrie Cranford c/o Ralph Dugdall, 18 The Bartons, Bristol (Fishing from Brixham?).
28.7.1938: Sold to Walter Chapman & Emily Chapman, 462 North Drive, Cleveleys.
15.9.1938: Sold to Ralph Stockman Dugdall, 57 Esplanade, Fleetwood.
18.9.1940: Sold to Brixham Trawlers Ltd, Wyre Dock, Fleetwood (Ralph S. Dugdall, manager).
17.5.1941: Sold to E. G. Wright, 75 Poulton Road, Fleetwood.
29.5.1946: In thick fog about 16 miles NNE of Bar Light Vessel run down by Liverpool tug CARLGARTH (179grt/1922) on passage Liverpool – Barrow. Vessel quickly foundered with only one survivor, Nicholas Grundy, Shakespeare Road, Fleetwood.
26.6.1946: Milford registry closed.
(Lost – Sk Lesie Hall; Thomas Wright, mate & Thomas Blundell Wright, deckhand, all Fleetwood)

The Times, Thursday, May 30, 1946
News in Brief
fishing smack rammed
When the tug CARLGARTH, of Liverpool, rammed and sank the Fleetwood fishing smack VICTORIA II in the Irish Sea, about 16 miles N.N.E. of Liverpool, early yesterday, only one member of the fishing boat crew, Nicholas Grundy, of Shakespeare Road, Fleetwood, was saved. Captain Leslie Hall, master of the vessel, Thomas Wright, and Thomas Blundell Wright, all of Fleetwood, are missing. The tug was on its way to Barrow-in-Furness to assist at the launching of the HINEMOA, the first passenger liner to be built in this country for the Dominions since 1939.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 118795
Yard Number: 60
Completed: 1904
Gross Tonnage: 169
Net Tonnage: 54
Length: 110.3 ft
Breadth: 21.2 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Engine: 45hp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole

History

23.11.1903: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.60) for Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Hull (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers) as OWL .
22.12.1903: Registered at Hull (H801).
1.1904: Completed.
10.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.373). Based Stornoway Command.
5.2.1915: At about 4.00 pm. in high seas and SW gale, patrol vessels ran for shelter in Broad Bay. At about 7.25 pm. dragged anchor and stranded on rocks.
6.2.1915: Weather eased and at 1.00 am. crew launched boat and reached shore. Surveyed, 5ft clear of surface water at LWS with 35° list to starboard, bilge keel gone and considerable damage to shell plating in vicinity, port side undamaged but water in bunkers and fishroom.
20.2.1915: Preparing launchways to refloat. Between 8.00 and 8.30 pm. with FLYING BUZZARD (200grt/1912) and drifter connected failed to move; tide did not make as predicted.
21.2.1915: Further attempt at 8.15 am. but tug hawser parted. 8.15 – 8.40 pm. again unsuccessful.
22.2.1915: Tide failed to make.
2.1915: Renamed OWL II.
21.3.1915: Refloated and beached at Stornoway. Subsequently towed to Belfast for repair and return to service. Based Humber.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull (John Slater, London, manager). Reverted to OWL (H801).
Pre 1930: Delete manager.
2.1936: Sold to Brixham Trawlers Ltd, Brixham (Ralph S. Dugdall, manager).
12.1937: Transferred to Fleetwood when Brixham Trawlers Ltd moved to the port.
3.12.1937: Sailed Brixham for Fleetwood in company with VIREO (H446), fishing round.
16.12.1937: First landing at Fleetwood 78 boxes, grossed £140.
20.5.1953: Last landing at Fleetwood.
6.1953: Sold to William MacKenzie & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen (William MacKenzie, manager).
1954: Sold for breaking up. (Belgium?)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Owl H801

S.T. Owl H801
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
27/01/2009: Page published. 2 updates since then.
31/07/2017: Removed disputed image and uploaded another.

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of Geoff Davidson and Gary Hicks Plymouth Merchant Ships

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4211
Official Number: 144432
Yard Number: 310
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 276
Net Tonnage: 123
Length: 125 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Engine T.3-cyl by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons Ltd, South Shields
Boiler: Palmers Shipbuilding & Iron Co Ltd Hebburn-on-Tyne
Built: J. P. Rennoldson & Sons Ltd, South Shields

History

10.10.1918: Completed by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons Ltd, South Shields (Yd.No.310) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as WILLIAM LEEK (Ad.No.4211).
8.10.1918: Commissioned.
10.10.1918: Completed as an escort (1 – 12pdr). 1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) O.N.144432. Laid up at Milford.
11.5.1920: Sold by auction at London (Baltic Exchange) to F. & T. Ross Ltd, Hull. Resold to East Riding Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Charles Hudson, Hessle, manager). Fitted out at Hull as a fishing vessel.
8.1920: London registry closed.
14.8.1920: Registered at Hull (H226).
23.11.1920: Registered at Hull as CAVENDISH (H226).
6.11.1923: Sold Kingston Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Hull (Walter Scott,manager) for £7250.
8.11.1923: Sailed on first trip for Kingston.
23.11.1923: Registered at Hull as HIDDENITE (H226).
23.04.1925 John William Lown appointed manager.
2. 6.1928: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph Arthur Marr, manager) for £5750.
26.6.1928: Hull registry closed.
28.6.1928: Registered at Fleetwood (FD180).
10.2.1929: Arrested by Scottish Fishery Board’s cruiser VIGILANT whilst fishing seven miles inside the prohibited area in the Firth of Clyde. Taken to Campbeltown.
11.2.1929: At Campbeltown Sheriff Court Sk. John Arthur Mewse pleaded guilty to trawling in a prohibited area and in view of his five previous convictions for trawling in prohibited areas he was fined £100 and gear forfeited.
1.4.1929: Geoffrey Edwards Marr appointed manager.
21.5.1929: Registered at Fleetwood as HILDINA (FD180).
25.4.1930: Christopher Blair (23), fireman was brought in from sea with severe injuries to his left side having fallen into the coal bunker. Transferred to hospital.
28.2.1933: At Fleetwood, Sk. Clarence Taylor was fined £1 and costs by Magistrates for excessive use of the steam whistle in the Wyre Channel to the annoyance of the public.
7.1.1937: Hauling up on the slipway, heeled over and two painters scrubbing down were thrown from their raft into the Fish Dock.
6.12.1938: Stranded in Islay Sound. Forefoot damaged and twisted. Steam trawler TEROMA (FD17) some fifteen miles away responded to her distress and on arrival stood by. Refloated by tug and and then escorted to Oban. Subsequently repaired and returned to service.
27.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service on examination service and as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.541) (Hire rate £82.16.0d/month). Based Granton with M/S Group 32 (Sk W. T. E. Page DSC RNR).
23.4.1946: Returned to owner after refit and re-classification at Glasgow.
24.6.1946: Sold to The Brixham Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Dugdall & Son, managers) for £19850. Registered at Fleetwood as AIGRET (FD180).
23.5.1947: Called Oban to land three crew members of the MYRA from Murrisk, Co Mayo. The men were picked up off Barra Head having been adrift since 3 May.
30.1.1953: In strong winds and rough sea, hauled gear and dodging W1/2S of Dubh Artacht Light in the hope of an improvement in the weather. At 8.30 pm. sighted Fleetwood trawler MICHAEL GRIFFITH (FD249). A short time after an adverse weather forecast was received and the skipper decided to seek shelter and set a course to the E of Skerryvore. Passing close the MICHAEL GRIFFITH continued northwards and his stern light was visible until about 11.10pm. This was the last sighting of the MICHAEL GRIFFITH. which was lost with all thirteen crew the following day.
1956: Sold to Belgian principals for breaking up.
17.3.1956: Arrived Boom.
24.3.1956: Fleetwood registry closed.

(William Leek (Luck), AB (volunteer), age 41, b. Canterbury, Kent – VICTORY (SB142))

Note:
25.10.1837: Gallantry at sea over four years ago was recognised at Fleetwood yesterday when a wireless set was presented to Thomas Harrison, deckhand of Lingfield Road who plunged to rescue boatswain Phillip Kay of the trawler HILDINA when he was washed overboard off West Scotland.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Hildina FD180

S.T. Hildina FD180
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

HMT Hildina

HMT Hildina
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T. Hildina FD180

S.T. Hildina FD180
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

S.T. Aigret FD180

S.T. Aigret FD180
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

S.T. Aigret FD180

S.T. Aigret FD180
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

Changelog
24/01/2009: Page published. 5 revisions since then.
20/10/2014: Picture added.
14/12/2015: Page updated.
05/06/2017: Added an image and removed FMHT watermarks.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 133392
Yard Number: 149
Completed: 1912
Gross Tonnage: 192
Net Tonnage: 73
Length: 110 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Engine: 55nhp T. 3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole

History

30.5.1912: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.149) for Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Hull as VIREO.
2.7.1912: Registered at Hull (H446).
7.1912: Completed (John E. A. Kelsall, London & George Beeching, Hull, managers).
10.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.383). Based Granton.
1919: Returned to owner at Hull(John Slater, London, manager).
19.12.1924: Niels Hess (48), Mate, fell into sea and drowned when transferring fish to carrier.
1929: Robert Burton appointed manager.
2.1936: Sold to Brixham Trawlers Ltd, Brixham (Ralph S. Dugdall, manager).
12.1937: Transferred to Fleetwood when Brixham Trawlers Ltd moved to the port.
3.12.1937: Sailed Brixham for Fleetwood in company with OWL (H801), fishing round.
13.12.1937: First landing at Fleetwood, 105 boxes grossed £94.
2.12.1939: Requisitioned for war service and appointed for minesweeping duties, employed on auxiliary patrol (Hire rate £48.0.0d/month).
16.1.1940: Returned.
27.12.1940: Requisitioned for war service and employed on harbour defence patrol (P.No.FY.1531).
12.1941: Paid off at Fleetwood “to be released”.
11.12.1941: Returned.
1.8.1959: Company taken over by Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood (Arthur J. Lewis, manager).
2.1960: Sold to Haulbowline Industries Ltd, Passage West, Cork for breaking up.
3.3.1960: Sailed Fleetwood for Cork.
5.3.1960: Arrived Passage West.
17.3.1960: Delivered. Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Vireo H446

S.T. Vireo H446

S.T. Vireo H446

S.T. Vireo H446

S.T. Vireo H446

S.T. Vireo H446
Picture courtesy of The Osta Collection

S.T. Vireo H446

S.T. Vireo H446

Changelog
19/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
23/04/2017: Removed disputed image.

Read / Leave a Comment