In Marr (Fleetwood) ownership. Did not fish from the port
Additional information courtesy of Hull Trawlers
Official Number: 183420
Yard Number: 218
Gross Tonnage: 666
Net Tonnage: 234
Length: 180.5 ft
Breadth: 30.1 ft
Depth: 15.1 ft
Built: J. Lewis & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: 1030ihp T.3-cyl by J. Lewis & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen (E.No.292)
Boiler: John G. Kincaid & Co Ltd, Greenock
Fitted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150 ° F
28.6.1949: Launched by J. Lewis & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.218) for J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood as PRIMELLA.
9.11.1949: Completed trials in Aberdeen Bay and accepted.
11.1949: Registered at Hull (H103). Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Brough appointed manager.
30.1.1950: Wilfred Carroll (47), spare hand, died as a result of an accident onboard in the North Sea.
1953: Made six trips to Greenland fishery.
1957: Sold to Newington Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull. Registered at Hull as PETER SCOTT (H103).
29.1.1964: On Icelandic grounds (Sk. Richard Taylor). Arrested after chase by Icelandic gunboat ODINN (882grt/1960) for alleged fishing 3 miles inside 12 mile limit. 1.2.1972: At Court in Akureyri, Sk. Taylor sentenced to 45 days imprisonment and fined £2,920 for illegal fishing and breach of three year old suspended sentence also for illegal fishing.
5.9.1972: Fishing NE of Hornbanki, Iceland,no name or PLN, ordered to stop by Icelandic Coast Guard vessel ÆGIR (507grt/1929) and haul trawl; refused. ÆGIR deployed “net cutter” for first time and one trawl warp was cut. Alongside and identified.
1974: Sold to Spanish shipbreakers and broken up.
1974: Hull registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
Official Number: 161838
Yard Number: 268
Gross Tonnage: 243
Net Tonnage: 90
Length: 120.2 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 12.0 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
10.2.1913: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmel Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.268) for Alfred T. Golder & Co, Ostend as MARTHE.
16.4.1913: Completed. Registered at Ostend (O43).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve (with owners permission).
21.9.1917: At Swansea. Completed fitting of 6pdr gun.
1929: Sold to Pêcheries Nationales Belges S. A., Ostend.
4.1933: Sold to Thomas H. Scales, Leith (managing owner).
13.4.1933: On delivery voyage Ostend to Aberdeen (sic) arrived Lowestoft with boiler trouble.
15.4.1933: Completed boiler repairs and sailed for Leith.
5.1933: Ostend registry closed.
8.5.1933: Registered at Leith as CRAIG ISLAND (LH141).
1935: Company re-styled, T. H. Scales & Sons Ltd, Newhaven, Edinburgh.
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (P.No.Z157) (Rosyth/Granton & Inchkeith) as an ‘Inchkeith gate trawler’ (Hire rate £62.15.6d/month).
31.9.1942: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £7250.
16.11.1945: Laid up.
8.3.1946: Sold to J. Cameron, Peterhead for breaking up.
6.5.1946: Breaking up commenced.
Click to enlarge image
Official Number: 109541
Yard Number: 193
Gross Tonnage: 150
Net tonnage: 58
Length: 100.6 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Ross & Duncan, Glasgow
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan
5.1898: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.193) for Orient Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as CROTON.
30.6.1898: Registered at Grimsby (GY716).
7.1901: Sold to Akties. Croton, Sandefjord, Norway (H. Fredriksen, manager).
7.1901: Grimsby registry closed. Registered at Strömstad, Sweden (SD9). (TG6)
5.1.1911: Picked up master (Capt Schmitz), his wife and seventeen crew of the German steamer HAVEL (1183grt/1889), Santander to Stockton-on-Tees, cargo iron ore, which had foundered after collision near Newarp light with the Hartlepool steamer AXWELL (1442grt/1909). Capt believed he could beach steamer and declined assistance from AXWELL, but by Friday morning, in spite of continuous pumping situation worsened and ship was settling; abandoned to boats, before foundering. In evening landed survivors at Grimsby.
5.1914: Sold to Orient Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Frank Barrett, manager).
5.1914: New boiler fitted.
6.5.1914: Registered at Grimsby (GY49).
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.709). Based Falmouth.
24.11.1918: To be returned to owner.
12.1918: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
1.1920: Sold to Direct Fish Supplies Ltd, London (G. W. P. Margarson, manager).
7.1920: Transferred to Isle of Man (W. H. B. Quilliam, Douglas, IoM).
5.8.1920: Grimsby registry closed.
8.1920: Registered at Douglas (DO89).
3.1922: Transferred to Grimsby. Douglas registry closed.
30.3.1922: Registered at Grimsby (GY1344).
23.3.1922: Company in voluntary liquidation.
10.8.1922: Placed in compulsory liquidation.
9.1922: Sold to Thomas W. Baskcomb, Grimsby managing owner.
22.10.1935: Fleet of Thomas W. Baskcomb sold to Fred Parkes, Fleetwood.
19.10.1935: Sold to Consolidated Fisheries Ltd, Grimsby (Sir John D. Marsden, Bart, manager).
30.10.1935: Grimsby registry closed.
4.11.1935: Transferred and registered at Lowestoft (LT84).
1940: Directed to Fleetwood under wartime control.
31.10.1941: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £3850 (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager).
21.7.1945: Sold to Partnership (Hull) Ltd, Hull for £4000.
1945: Sold to Mostyn & Willey Ltd, Watford (Hymen Mostyn, manager).
1950: Sold to Belgium shipbreakers for breaking up. Lowestoft registry closed.
11.1914: Fitted with Hotchkiss 12pdr and 6pdr HA and fitted out minesweeping duties (Ad.No.709).
By 1.10.1918: At Falmouth (General Patrol and Escort work).
24.11.1918: To be returned.
Click to enlarge image
19/05/2012: Page published. 6 updates since then.
16/06/2016: Information updated.
Official Number: 138286
Yard Number: 647
Gross Tonnage: 326
Net Tonnage: 134
Length: 138.7 ft
Breadth: 23.7 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Son Ltd, Selby
11.10.1916: Launched by Cochrane & Son Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.647) (Prototype “Mersey” class vessel) for Pickering & Haldane’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as LORD MERSEY.
15.2.1916: Registered at Hull (H427).
4.1916: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.1991). Based Kirkwall.
27.11.1917: At Aberdeen fitted with hydrophones.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
27.4.1928: Sold to Malcolm S. McFarlane, London & John A. Spilman, Hull.
13.7.1928: Sold to Alan Spilman Ltd, London (A. Spilman, Hull, manager).
29.8.1928: Registered at Hull as CASTLETHORPE (H427).
19.5.1933: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey E. Marr, Cleveleys, manager) for £4100.
14.6.1933: Hull registry closed.
16.6.1933: Registered at Fleetwood (FD188).
14.12.1933: Registered at Fleetwood as ARLITA (FD188) (BoT Minute M/RG.1378).
20.8.1934: Transferred to Hull, crewed and operated by The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull on the company acquisition (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Cleveleys, manager).
11.6.1935: Transferred to Fleetwood.
9.1939: On a trip to St. Kilda grounds (Sk. Ernest Christie); twelve crew.
18. 9.1939: Trawling 22 miles WNW of St. Kilda. At 18.48 hrs stopped by U-boat (U.35) in position 58.09N 09.17W. Advised to follow the submarine in the direction of smoke from two other trawlers. Seized along with LORD MINTO (FD51) and NANCY HAGUe (FD133). As boats not considered safe for crew, transferred to NANCY HAGUE. Sunk by gunfire in position 57.51N 09.28W. Also sunk by gunfire, LORD MINTO (FD51). NANCY HAGUE (FD133) returned to Fleetwood.
19. 27.9.1939: Fleetwood registry closed.
(Crew (all Fleetwood unless stated) – Sk. Ernest Christie; James Mayson, Mate; W. Sloane, Thornton, Bosun; Peter Croft, Ch.Eng; A. Nyquist, 2nd Eng; Thomas Christy; J. Astles; H. Ramshaw, Thornton; W. Lee, deckhands; C. Bird, Hoylake, half deckhand; F. Woolfenden & H. Dearden, firemen; L. Cashmere, cook.)
Click to enlarge image
17/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.
18/06/2016: Picture added.
Official Number: 162064
Yard Number: 1088
Gross Tonnage: 355
Net Tonnage: 139
Length: 140.4 ft
Breadth: 25.0 ft
Depth: 13.4 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
(In 1935 the Hull trawler LEONIDAS (162186) (H267) was lengthened by Smiths Dock Co. Ltd. The work involved creating an improved hull form with new bow and stern sections. The design was successful, not only providing increased fish room capacity, but also, as was expected, reducing coal consumption and giving a slightly higher free running speed. Other owners stemmed vessels at Middlesbrough for similar work to be undertaken)
28.7.1930: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1088) for J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood as ARMANA. Contract price £15,090.
17.9.1930: Registered at Fleetwood (FD121).
23.9.1930: Completed (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager).
1.9.1931: Struck dock wall at Fleetwood damaging shell plating.
1934: Transferred to Hull.
11.1936: Completed lengthening by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough to 151.5 feet (including fitting new bow and stern sections). Re measured 357g 145n.
6.11.1936: Re-registered after alteration to length.
2.1940: Sold to The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (J. Marr & Son Ltd) (Leslie James Marr, managers).
28.2.1940: Fleetwood registry closed.
1.3.1940: Registered at Hull (H302).
17.5.1940: Sailed Hull for Iceland (Sk. A. Fletcher).
4.6.1940: At Hull landed 1,905 kits grossed £1,877.
4.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (1-12pdr) (Hire rate £202.12.11d/month). At Barry with M/S Group 81 (Ty/Sk. A. C. Fletcher RNR).
5.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper (P.No. FY.1809). At Ipswich with M/S & P Group 81.
5.1944: Fitted out for dan laying and assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
23.5.1944: Attached to the15th Minesweeping Flotilla as a dan layer.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
11.1945: Returned to owner after restoration and survey at Birkenhead.
18.2.1946: Sold to Hull Merchants Amalgamated Trawlers Ltd, Hull (A. Bailey & J. Balderson, managers) for £35000.
13.11.1946: Registered at Hull as BARDIA (H302).
28.1.1955: Sailed Hull for Faroe last trip before sale (Sk. T. Eddams).
16.2.1955: At Hull landed 533 kits grossed £1,993.
6.1955: Sold to Sir George F. Sleight, Grimsby.
28.6.1955: Hull registry closed.
7.1955: Registered at Grimsby (GY3).
8.1956: Sold B.J. Nijkerk, Antwerp for breaking up.
8.1956: Grimsby registry closed.
15.10.1956: Arrived Antwerp from Grimsby.
Click to enlarge images
17/05/2012: Page published. 10 revisions since then.
12/07/2014: Picture 6 added.