Official Number: 109541
Yard Number: 193
Gross Tonnage: 150
Net tonnage: 58
Length: 100.6 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Ross & Duncan, Glasgow
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan
5.1898: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.193) for Orient Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as CROTON.
30.6.1898: Registered at Grimsby (GY716).
7.1901: Sold to Akties. Croton, Sandefjord, Norway (H. Fredriksen, manager).
7.1901: Grimsby registry closed. Registered at Strömstad, Sweden (SD9). (TG6)
5.1.1911: Picked up master (Capt Schmitz), his wife and seventeen crew of the German steamer HAVEL (1183grt/1889), Santander to Stockton-on-Tees, cargo iron ore, which had foundered after collision near Newarp light with the Hartlepool steamer AXWELL (1442grt/1909). Capt believed he could beach steamer and declined assistance from AXWELL, but by Friday morning, in spite of continuous pumping situation worsened and ship was settling; abandoned to boats, before foundering. In evening landed survivors at Grimsby.
5.1914: Sold to Orient Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Frank Barrett, manager).
5.1914: New boiler fitted.
6.5.1914: Registered at Grimsby (GY49).
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.709). Based Falmouth.
24.11.1918: To be returned to owner.
12.1918: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
1.1920: Sold to Direct Fish Supplies Ltd, London (G. W. P. Margarson, manager).
7.1920: Transferred to Isle of Man (W. H. B. Quilliam, Douglas, IoM).
5.8.1920: Grimsby registry closed.
8.1920: Registered at Douglas (DO89).
3.1922: Transferred to Grimsby. Douglas registry closed.
30.3.1922: Registered at Grimsby (GY1344).
23.3.1922: Company in voluntary liquidation.
10.8.1922: Placed in compulsory liquidation.
9.1922: Sold to Thomas W. Baskcomb, Grimsby managing owner.
22.10.1935: Fleet of Thomas W. Baskcomb sold to Fred Parkes, Fleetwood.
19.10.1935: Sold to Consolidated Fisheries Ltd, Grimsby (Sir John D. Marsden, Bart, manager).
30.10.1935: Grimsby registry closed.
4.11.1935: Transferred and registered at Lowestoft (LT84).
1940: Directed to Fleetwood under wartime control.
31.10.1941: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £3850 (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager).
21.7.1945: Sold to Partnership (Hull) Ltd, Hull for £4000.
1945: Sold to Mostyn & Willey Ltd, Watford (Hymen Mostyn, manager).
1950: Sold to Belgium shipbreakers for breaking up. Lowestoft registry closed.
11.1914: Fitted with Hotchkiss 12pdr and 6pdr HA and fitted out minesweeping duties (Ad.No.709).
By 1.10.1918: At Falmouth (General Patrol and Escort work).
24.11.1918: To be returned.
Click to enlarge image
19/05/2012: Page published. 6 updates since then.
16/06/2016: Information updated.
06/02/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.