Additional material supplied by Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 99560
Yard Number: 475
Completed: 1892
Gross Tonnage: 144
Net Tonnage: 30
Length: 105.0 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Hepple & Co, North Shields
Built: Hepple & Co, North Shields

History

16.12.1891: Launched by Hepple & Co, North Shields (Yd.No.475 ) for John Kelsall, Prestwich as the ADRIATIC.
11.3.1892: Registered at Hull (H190).
3.1892: Completed (Edmund Kelsall, Hull, manager).
1895: Transferred to Fleetwood (Kelsall & Co, managers).
30.8.1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester (John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood, managers).
4.9.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD186).
24.3.1899: Fleetwood registry closed. Transferred to Hull.
13.4.1899: Registered at Hull (H448).
28.3.1904: In North Sea (Sk. W. Wood), laid dead in water boarding boat for cutter. At 8.50am. struck on port side by steam trawler PARRAMATTA (H448), crew took to boat and picked up by steam trawler THRUSH (H703). At about 11.00am. foundered. PARRAMATTA returned to Hull with bows stove in.
10.5.1904: Hull registry closed “Vessel sunk by collision in North Sea 28 March 1904”.

(Survivors – Sk. W. Wood; 2nd Hand W. Windass; Bosun J. Tricket; 3rd Hand W. Moore; 4th Hand A. East)

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall, Lynne Elvin and Hull Trawlers

Technical

Official Number: 99548
Yard Number: 466
Completed: 1891
Gross Tonnage: 144.32
Net Tonnage: 30.55
Length: 105.4 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Built: Hepple & Co, North Shields
Engine: 360ihp T.3-cyl by Hepple & Co, North Shields
Boiler: J. T. Eltringham & Co, South Shields

History

23.9.1891: Launched by Hepple & Co, North Shields (Yd.No.466) for John Kelsall (64/64), Prestwich, Manchester as BRITANNIC.
12.12.1891: Registered at Hull (H181).
12.1891: Completed. John Kelsall designated managing owner.
1895: Transferred to Fleetwood.
30.5.1896: At Fleetwood Police Court four men charged with a breach of the Merchant Shipping Act in assaulting the skipper and combining to disobey orders were found guilty and sentenced to seven days hard labour.
30.5.1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd (64/64), Manchester. John Edmund Ambrose Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood designated managers.
9.1897: Hull registry closed.
4.9.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD184).
9.1.1899: Reported having lost a crewman (Grant) believed washed overboard and drowned.
24.3.1899: Fleetwood registry closed. Transferred to Hull.
13.4.1899: Registered at Hull (H447).
25.4.1905: Lengthened to 119.0 ft draught 10.8 ft – 168g 63n( 46n?).
25.4.1905: Hull registry closed on lengthening and vessel registered anew (H447).
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull. George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London designated managers.
29.12.1912: In the North Sea off the Dogger Bank with the boxing fleet (Sk. Herbert Hugh Henery); nine crew all told. At about 8.00 am. having hauled the trawl and finished stowing the fish, struck amidships by Hull steam trawler BUZZARD (H971). Ch Eng H. Wise stopped the engine and came on deck to warn that she was rapidly filling. The crew put on their lifejackets and attempted to launch the boat but it foundered and they literally swam off the deck as the ship foundered. The skipper was seen putting on his lifejacket but he and the bosun, Smith went down with the ship. The bosun surfaced but there was no sign of the skipper and a search by other vessels in the fleet failed to find him. Other trawlers on the scene, VICEROY (GY786) picked up five men, KITE (H773) two and TANAGER (H134), one; all transferred to BUZZARD which had suffered only minor damage to her fore end.
31.12.1912: Survivors landed at Hull.
9.1.1913: Hull registry closed “Total loss”.

Crew saved – Albert Love, Mate; Smith, Bosun; W. Crickmore, Third hand; A. Dixey, Deckhand; H. Wise, Ch. Eng; L. Alders 2nd Eng; W. Sellers, Trimmer and J. Courtney, Cook.

Lost – Herbert Hugh Henery, Skipper.

Changelog
18/05/2012: Page published. 6 revisions since then.
29/11/2014: Information updated.
07/06/2017: Information update.
16/07/2016: Updated information.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 105914
Yard Number: 512
Completed: 1895
Gross Tonnage: 162
Net Tonnage: 52
Length: 107.0 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Edwards Bros, North Shields

History

18.12.1895: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.512) for John E. A. Kelsall, Fleetwood (managing owner) as COPTIC.
17.1.1896: Registered at Fleetwood (FD142).
1.1896: Completed.
1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester (John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood, managers).
1899: Transferred to Hull.
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
30.3.1899: Registered at Hull (H62).
9.12.1903: Lost in collision in North Sea without loss of life.
14.12.1903: Hull registry closed “Sunk by collision in North Sea 9th December 1903”.105914105914.

Changelog
17/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 108525
Yard Number: 550
Completed: 1897
Gross Tonnage: 144
Net Tonnage: 44
Length: 106 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl (320 IHP) and boiler by N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Edward Bros, North Shields

History

15.4.1897: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.550) for Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester as GROUSE.
25.5.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD169).
5.1897: Completed (John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood, manager).
1899: Transferred to Hull.
8.4.1899: Registered at Hull (H100).
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
30.6.1910: Re-measured after lengthening to 118.3 ft 167g 65n.
30.6.1910: Hull registry closed and vessel registered anew in consequence of material alterations (H100).
10.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.371).
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
7.1919: John Slater, London appointed manager.
1928: Sold for breaking up.
8.2.1928: Hull registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Grouse FD169

S.T. Grouse FD169
Picture courtesy of Alan Hirst

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 108534
Yard Number: 556
Completed: 1897
Gross Tonnage: 144
Net Tonnage: 44
Length: 106 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Engine: 300IHP T.3-cyl and boiler by N. E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Edward Bros, North Shields

History

15.7.1897: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.556) for Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester as JAY.
13.10.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD178).
10.1897: Completed
13.10.1897: John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood appointed managers.
24.3.1899: Fleetwood registry closed. Transferred to Hull.
13.4.1899: Registered at Hull (H278).
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers).
15.7.1913: Hull registry closed and vessel registered anew in consequence of material alterations (H278).
15.7.1913: Re-measured after lengthening to 119.0 ft 166g 64n.
10.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.375).
11.8.1917: Returning to Gt. Yarmouth, torpedoed by U-boat (UB35) 500yds NE of “C” Buoy in position 55°19N/1°49E; nine crew lost*, three (two?)crew and dog saved+.
27.12.1917: Hull registry closed “Total loss”.

(Lost* – Sk. Edward N. Bullock (40); John C. Hack (35), Mate; Harry E. Pratt (38), Eng; Bryan Williams(18), Henry S. Parfitt (35), Dick G. Pestel (22) & Frederick Shreeve, deckhands; Adam Clark (19) & John MacLean, trimmers)

(Saved+ – James Keysor & Hugh Rogers)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Jay FD178

S.T. Jay FD178
Picture courtesy of Peter Brady

Read / Leave a Comment