Tag Archives: Kelsall Bros & Beeching Ltd

S.T. Coot H897

Technical

Official Number: 123276
Yard Number: 88
Gross Tonnage: 171.9
Net Tonnage: 51.70
Length: 110.2 ft
Breadth: 21.1 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Engine: 60HP T.3-cyl by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull

History

8.1906: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.88) for Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Hull (John E. A. Kelsall, London & George Beeching, Hull, managers) as COOT.
4.9.1906: Registered at Hull (H897).
9.1906: Completed.
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (2-12pdrs, 1-7.7” A/S Howitzer) (Ad. No.420).
3.1917: Fitted out to “Q” ship under names BURMAH, DORA, KIA ORA and LORNE (1-12pdr, 1-6pdr). Based Granton.
11.1918: Reverted to minesweeping role as COOT.
Post 12.3.1919 (1920): Returned to owner at Hull (John Slater, London, manager).
1924: Transferred to Fleetwood (John Slater, London, manager).
1930: Delete manager.
6.3.1936: Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd in voluntary liquidation.
1936: Fleet sold en bloc to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward) (Robert S. Hewett, Fleetwood, manager).
1937: Laid up in Fleetwood.
18.10.1937: Hull registry closed “Ceased fishing”.
5.1938: Sold to J. & E. Lumb, ?? for conversion to a private vessel. Renamed DORADE II.
1938: Fitted out as a private vessel by Nicholsons, Glasson Dock – 211g.
1938: Re-engined with twin diesel units 4 stroke 6-cyl 220bhp by National Gas & Oil Engines Ltd, Ashton-under-Lyne.
1.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service on examination service (P.No.4.340) (Hire rate £206.10.0d/month). Based Reykjavik, Iceland (Ty/Sk. J. F. Nuttall RNR).
2.10.1941: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T.
27.9.1945: Sold to Major H. W. Hall.
1945: Fitted out as a research and survey vessel – 208g 113n.
1946: Fitted out as a research and survey vessel. Renamed MANIHINE.
1955: Sold to Government of the Colony of Singapore, Singapore.
1961: Sold to East African Marine Fisheries Organisation, Zanzibar.
1964: Sold to East African Common Services Organisation, Mombasa .
1965: Managers became Southern Line Ltd, Mombasa.
1976: Sold to Institute of Marine Sciences, Zanzibar.
1978: Laid up in Zanzibar with no maintenance.
15.6.1979: Sold to ??,?? and used as a coaster on the East African coast.
198?: Laid up and abandoned at Dar es Salaam.
1992: Stripping commenced.
1997: Breaking up complete.

The ship changed hands for One Pound in 1961 and sailed for East Africa to join the East African Marine Fisheries Organisation based in Zanzibar. Three years later ownership was transferred to the East African Common Services Organisation based in Kenya. In 1965, management and maintenance were undertaken by Southern Line and Southern Engineering at Mombasa until 1976 when the vessel was sold to the Institute of Marine Sciences and based in Zanzibar. During the course of its research program the ship ranged far and wide across the Indian Ocean, and at one time went in search of the fabled Coelacanth. Laid up in Zanzibar, the vessel became derelict and eventually grounded. In May 1979, the ship was put up for sale by tender the bids closing on 15 June. After an overhaul the ship returned to service as a coastal trader before being beached in Dar es Salaam. In 1992 the ship was deleted from Lloyds Register and demolition began soon after. The remains finally disappeared in 1997.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Coot H897

S.T. Coot H897
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. Coot H897 as Manihine

S.T. Coot H897 as Manihine

Changelog
21/01/2009: Page published. 3 revisions since then.
02/11/2014: Picture added.
17/01/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks.

S.T. Moulmein H61

S.T. Moulmein FD132

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 104239
Yard Number: 503
Completed: 1895
Gross Tonnage: 151
Net Tonnage: 40
Length: 100.6 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Engine: 320ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Edwards Bros, North Shields

History

25.5.1895: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.503) for George Beeching, Fleetwood (managing owner) as MOULMEIN.
6.1895: Completed.
26.6.1895: Registered at Fleetwood (FD132).
1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester (John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood, managers).
1899: Transferred to Hull.
30.3.1899: Registered at Hull (H61).
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
22.10.1904: The Dogger Bank Incident. Shelled and damaged by Russian Navy Baltic Fleet while fishing on the Dogger Bank. Russians on passage to the Pacific in the darkness opened fire on the trawlers (approx 45 vessels) under the impression that they were about to be attacked.
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers).
21.5.1913: Sold to George Clarkson, Fleetwood.
23.5.1913: George Clarkson appointed managing owner.
23.5.1913: Mortgaged to James Herbert Marr, Fleetwood (A).
7.7.1913: Hull registry closed.
8.7.1913: Registered at Fleetwood (FD187).
6.8.1913: Sold to The Devon Steam Trawling Co, Fleetwood (George Clarkson, manager).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 59.04 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
18.11.1916: Sold to Henry Carl Smethurst (64/64), Grimsby. Henry Carl Smethurst designated managing owner.
13.12.1916: Fleetwood registry closed.
18.12.1916: Registered at Grimsby (GY1007).
23.12.1916: Sold to Henry Carl Smethurst, John Wintringham Smethurst & William Winteringham Smethurst, all Grimsby (64/64 joint owners). John Wintringham Smethurst designated managing owner.
28.3.1917: Stopped by U-boat (UC77) with a shot across the bows whilst fishing 25 miles NE of Longstone Light and scuttled by opening seacocks and scuttles. Vessel position 56.00N 1.13W.
14.5.1917: Grimsby registry closed “Sunk by German submarine”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Moulmein H61

S.T. Moulmein H61
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

S.T. Moulmein H61

S.T. Moulmein H61
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Moulmein FD132

S.T. Moulmein FD132
Picture from the Internet

Russians open fire

Russians open fire
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Mino H799

S.T. Mino H799
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

Changelog
19/01/2009: Page published. 9 updates since then.
18/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Gothic FD140

Technical

Official Number: 105913
Yard Number: 505
Completed: 1895
Gross Tonnage: 153
Net Tonnage: 33
Length: 105.8 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by N. E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Edwards Bros, North Shields

History

3.10.1895: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.505) for John Kelsall, Manchester as GOTHIC.
31.10.1895: Registered at Fleetwood (FD140).
11.1895: Completed (John E. A. Kelsall, Fleetwood, manager).
1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester (John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood, managers).
1899: Transferred to Hull .
30.3.1899: Registered at Hull (H67).
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
1.10.1905: In heavy weather in North Sea, transferring boxes to cutter JACKDAW (H727), H. Brewster (26), Bosun, fell between boat and ship and was swept away and drowned.
25.1.1910: On a North Sea trip (Sk. Nicholson), nine crew. In early hours in storm force conditions, and blizzard, lost wheelhouse, funnel and boat. Burnt bedding etc to attract attention. Steam trawler OLDHAM (GY538) (Sk. Marshall) responded and took off four crew before boat was smashed. Stood by overnight.
26.1.1910: In early morning managed to get a line onboard and remaining five crew rescued but Robert Beech (61) cook/steward dead on recovery. Foundered soon afterwards.
27.1.1910: Survivors landed at Grimsby.
12.2.1910: Hull registry closed “Ship foundered in North Sea on 26th January 1910”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Gothic FD140

S.T. Gothic FD140
Picture courtesy of Alan Hirst

Changelog
18/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.

S.T. Oceanic FD187

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 105543
Yard Number: 26
Completed: 1896
Gross Tonnage 168
Net Tonnage: 68
Length: 102.0 ft
Breadth: 21.0 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Engine: 320ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Thomas Charlton, Grimsby
Built: Thomas Charlton, Grimsby

History

3.1896: Completed by Thomas Charlton, Grimsby (Yd.No.26) for Richard Kelsall (64/64), Liverpool as OCEANIC.
18.3.1896: Registered at Grimsby (GY22). Richard Kelsall appointed manager.
1896: Sk. John Reader convicted on charges of fishing in the Minches with beam trawl and name and number hidden.
12.12.1896: Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd formed.
23.1.1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd (64/64), Manchester.
2.2.1897: John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood appointed managers.
25.8.1897: Grimsby registry closed.
4.9.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD187).
24.3.1899: Fleetwood registry closed. Transferred to Hull.
13.4.1899: Registered at Hull (H449).
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 69.45net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a “Q” ship (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.391).
2.1915: Renamed OCEANIC II.
1915: Based Peterhead with Unit 41.
5.6.1915: Engaged and disabled a U-boat (U.14) by gunfire off Peterhead, which subsequently sank; one dead, twenty-seven survivors taken prisoner.
1.11.1915: Based Longhope with Unit 41.
9.1.1916: Based Malta with Unit 41. Based Aegean Sea.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull. Reverted to OCEANIC (H449).
7.6.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
7.6.1919: John Slater, London appointed manager.
6.3.1923: Mortgagee re-styled as Westminster Bank Ltd, London.
28.4.1924: Mortgage (A) discharged.
5.1924: Sold for breaking up.
6.5.1924: Hull registry closed “Sold to Shipbreaker”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Oceanic FD187

S.T. Oceanic H449 Picture from the Internet

S.T. Oceanic H449

S.T. Oceanic H449
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

Changelog
18/01/2009: Page published. 6 updates since then.
17/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Teal FD166

Additional information courtesy of Geoff Davidson

Technical

Official Number: 108522
Yard Number: 548
Completed: 1897
Gross Tonnage: 143
Net Tonnage: 39
Length: 106 ft
Breadth: 20,5 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Engine: 320ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Edward Bros, North Shields

History

22.3.1897: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.548) for Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester as TEAL.
5.5.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD166).
5.1897: Completed (John E. A. Kelsall & George Kelsall, Fleetwood, managers).
24.2.1898: Fishing off Dubh Heartach Light with other trawlers of the K&B fleet. Picked up crew of PLOVER (FD173) run down in the early hours by Norwegian steamer SAINT ANDREW (2984g/) Manchester for Gothenburg which did not stop. Transferred survivors to fish carrier SWALLOW (FD167).
8.6.1898: In collision with steam trawler GERMANIC (FD185) which foundered after sustaining damage.
1899: Transferred to Hull. (John E. A. Kelsall, London & George Beeching, Hull, managers).
7.4.1899: Registered at Hull (H90).
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers).
19.7.1912: Re-measured after lengthening to 118.2 x20.5 x 10.8 ft 165g 64n.
19.7.1912: Hull registry closed and vessel registered anew in consequence of material alterations (H90).
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.418).
4.1915: Part of Unit 13 based Moray Firth.
2/3.1.1917: Went ashore over night near Buckie and became a total wreck. All crew saved. Gun and certain fittings removed.
27.12.1917: Hull registry closed “Total loss”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Teal FD166

S.T. Teal H90
Picture courtesy of Alan Hirst

Changelog
18/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
04/02/2016: Information updated.
06/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.