Tag Archives: John Kelsall

S.T. Bovic FD143

Technical

Official Number: 105915
Yard Number: 513
Completed: 1896
Gross Tonnage: 162
Net Tonnage: 52
Length: 107.0 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 12.5 feet
Engine: T.3-cyl by N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Edwards Bros, North Shields

History

18.12.1895: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.513) for John Kelsall, Manchester (John E. A. Kelsall, Fleetwood, manager) as BOVIC.
25.1.1896: Registered at Fleetwood (FD143).
1.1896: Completed.
8.10.1896: Arrived Queenstown and reported having passed wreckage when off Poor Head, Co. Cork yesterday, which consisted of a cork fender, companion ladder, and part of bulwark painted white.
1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester (John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood, managers).
1899: Transferred to Hull.
12.3.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
30.3.1899: Registered at Hull (H51).
31.10.1907: When 210 miles E by N of Spurn Point, J. McDonald, Bosun, lost overboard and drowned.
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 62.42 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.377).
5.8.1917: Foundered following collision off Souter Point with Norwegian steamer VIGDIS (849grt/1883); crew saved.
27.12.1917: Hull registry closed “ Vessel lost 5th August 1917 in Admiralty service”.

Changelog
17/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.
19/08/2016: Information updated.

S.T. Coptic FD142

Technical

Official Number: 105914
Yard Number: 512
Completed: 1895
Gross Tonnage: 162
Net Tonnage: 52
Length: 107.0 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Edwards Bros, North Shields

History

18.12.1895: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.512) for John E. A. Kelsall, Fleetwood (managing owner) as COPTIC.
17.1.1896: Registered at Fleetwood (FD142).
1.1896: Completed.
1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester (John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood, managers).
1899: Transferred to Hull.
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
30.3.1899: Registered at Hull (H62).
9.12.1903: Lost in collision in North Sea without loss of life.
14.12.1903: Hull registry closed “Sunk by collision in North Sea 9th December 1903”.105914105914.

Changelog
17/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.

S.T. Gothic FD140

Technical

Official Number: 105913
Yard Number: 505
Completed: 1895
Gross Tonnage: 153
Net Tonnage: 33
Length: 105.8 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Built: Edwards Bros, North Shields
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by N. E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland

History

3.10.1895: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.505) for John Kelsall, Manchester as GOTHIC.
31.10.1895: Registered at Fleetwood (FD140).
11.1895: Completed (John E. A. Kelsall, Fleetwood, manager).
1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester (John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood, managers).
1899: Transferred to Hull .
30.3.1899: Registered at Hull (H67).
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
1.10.1905: In heavy weather in North Sea, transferring boxes to cutter JACKDAW (H727), H. Brewster (26), Bosun, fell between boat and ship and was swept away and drowned.
25.1.1910: On a North Sea trip (Sk. Nicholson), nine crew. In early hours in storm force conditions, and blizzard, lost wheelhouse, funnel and boat. Burnt bedding etc to attract attention. Steam trawler OLDHAM (GY538) (Sk. Marshall) responded and took off four crew before boat was smashed. Stood by overnight.
26.1.1910: In early morning managed to get a line onboard and remaining five crew rescued but Robert Beech (61) cook/steward dead on recovery. Foundered soon afterwards.
27.1.1910: Survivors landed at Grimsby.
12.2.1910: Hull registry closed “Ship foundered in North Sea on 26th January 1910”.

(Richard James Hart who with Edward Downs manned the Oldham’s boat in the rescue of four crew members was awarded BoT Bronze Medal for Gallantry at Sea for his part in the rescue.)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Gothic FD140

S.T. Gothic FD140
Picture courtesy of The Alan Hirst Collection

Changelog
18/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
13/12/2020: Updated history.

S.T. Majestic FD181 (1)

Technical

Official Number 98714
Yard Number: 41
Completed: 1891
Gross Tonnage: 151.68
Net Tonnage: 55.76
Length: 105.4 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Built: Cochrane, Cooper & Schofield, Beverley
Engine:T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

29.10.1890: Launched by Cochrane, Cooper & Schofield, Beverley (Yd.No.41) for John Kelsall (64/64), Manchester as MAJESTIC.
30.12.1890: Registered at Hull (H120). John Kelsall designated managing owner.
7.1.1891: Completed.
1895: Transferred to fish out of Fleetwood. Kelsall & Co, designated managers.
27.8.1897: Hull registry closed.
23.1.1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd (64/64), Manchester. John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood designated managers.
4.9.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD181).
24.3.1899: Fleetwood registry closed. Transferred to fish out of Hull.
13.4.1899: Registered at Hull (H444).
22.10.1904: The Dogger Bank Incident. Shelled and damaged by Russian Navy Baltic Fleet while fishing on the Dogger Bank. Russians on passage to the Pacific in the darkness opened fire on the trawlers (approx 45 vessels) under the impression that they were about to be attacked.
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull. George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London designated managers.
26.1.1912: Sold to James S. McGillivray (64/64), Macduff. James S. McGillivray designated managing owner.
26.1.1912: Mortgaged to Kelsall Bros & Beeching Ltd, Hull for sum of £325 at 5% interest (A). Fitted out as a drifter.
4.5.1912: Hull registry closed.
5.1912: Registered at Banff (BF478).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 60.93 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
4.1917: Mortgage (A) discharged.
5.1917: Sold to Henry Smethurst (64/64), Grimsby for use as a trawler. John Wintringham Smethurst designated manager.
5.1917: Banff registry closed.
25.5.1917: Registered at Grimsby (GY1054) as a trawler.
8.6.1917: Sold to Henry Smethurst, Henry Carl Smethurst, John Wintringham Smethurst & William Wintringham Smethurst, all Grimsby (64/64 joint owners).
12.6.1917: John Wintringham Smethurst designated manager.
15.6.1917: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
19.11.1917: Mortgage (A) discharged.
28.11.1917: Sold to Benjamin Simpson, Scarborough, Thomas Crimlis, Filey, & Frank Crimlis, Hull (64/64 joint owners).
28.11.1917: Frank Crimlis designated managing owner.
27.12.1917: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Union of London & Smiths Bank Ltd, London (B).
14.5.1918: Mortgage (B) discharged.
15.5.1918: Sold to Albert William Green (32/64), Grimsby & Jasper George Smith (32/64), London.
16.5.1918: Albert William Green designated managing owner.
16.5.1918: Vessel mortgaged (32/64) & 32/64) to The National Provincial & Union Bank of England Ltd, London (C) & (D).
16.5.1918: Albert William Green (32/64) re mortgaged to Jennie Green, Cleethorpes for the sum of £1500 at 6% interest (E).
7.1918: Registered at Grimsby as SUN-FLAME (GY1054) (BoT Minute M7408/1918).
17.11.1919: Mortgages (C) & (D) discharged.
18.11.1919: Mortgage (E) discharged.
18.11.1919: Sold to Great Yarmouth Steam Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Gt Yarmouth.
18.11.1919: George Herbert Hansell designated manager.
14.1.1920: Grimsby registry closed.
19.1.1920: Registered at Yarmouth (YH229).
1926: Sold for breaking up.
26.10.1926: Yarmouth registry closed “Broken up”.
Click to enlarge image

S.T. Majestic H444

S.T. Majestic H444
Picture courtesy of The George Westwood Collection

Changelog
18/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
15/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
30/05/2021: Updated information.

S.T. Cevic (1) FD133

Additional information : Dictionary of Shipwrecks off the Isle of Man ©Adrian Corkhill 2001

Technical

Official Number: 105911
Yard Number: 504
Completed: 1895
Gross Tonnage: 151
Net Tonnage: 59
Length: 106 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: 50rhp T.3-cyl by North Eastern Marine Engineering Co. Ltd. Sunderland.
Built: Edward Bros, North Shields (iron built as a beam trawler)

History

8.6.1895: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.504) for John E. A. Kelsall (64/64), Fleetwood as CEVIC.
11.7.1895: Registered at Fleetwood (FD133). John E. A. Kelsall designated managing owner.
7.1895: Completed.
1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd (64/64), Manchester. John A. E. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood designated managers.
1899: Transferred to Hull.
30.3.1899: Registered at Hull (H76).
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull. George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London designated managers.
21.5.1913: Sold to George Clarkson, Fleetwood.
23.5.1913: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to James Herbert Marr, Fleetwood (A).
23.5.1913: George Clarkson designated manager.
8.7.1913: Sold to The Devon Steam Trawling Co (64/64), Fleetwood. George Clarkson, designated manager.
7.7.1913: Hull registry closed.
8.7.1913: Registered at Fleetwood (FD186).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 58.53 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
1916: James A. Robertson designated manager.
3.1917: At Fleetwood. Defensively armed, fitted with Hotchkiss 6pdr gun (No.1857); complement increased by two gunners.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
9.9.1918: Sold to Ernest Taylor & Noah Ashworth (64/64 joint owners), Fleetwood. Joseph A. Taylor designated manager.
1919: Released.
18.7.1924: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. Charles H. Friswell designated manager.
1925: Richard Neave designated manager.
25.6.1927: Anchored in Ramsey Bay for shelter in ‘boisterous’ weather, Skipper Dick Collinson and three crew ashore. Weather deteriorated unable to return.
26.6.1927: Punt laying astern started to ship water, 2nd Engineer boarded but punt caste adrift. With no officers onboard crew weighed anchor to recover boat, which unknown to them had drifted ashore. In strong NE wind abandoned search and came to anchor off Ballure, Ramsey South Beach but failed to hold and driven on to the bank at Granch, South of Ramsey pounding heavily. In response to flares Ramsey lifeboat Matthew Simpson launched and with difficulty took off crew of six .
6/7.1927: Vessel eventually driven ashore under cliffs and wedged in rocks with extensive damage to bottom and starboard side shell plating. Declared a total loss.
8.8.1927: Fleetwood registry closed. Some remains of vessel still visible.

(Crew – Sk. Richard Collinson; J. Bywater, Mate; E. Salthouse, Bosun; J. Hobbs, Ch.Eng; J. Dicks, 2nd Eng; J. Kitchen & J. Harrison, deckhands; T. Whiteside & W. Holden, apprentices; J. Simms, fireman; P. Corrigan, cook)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Cevic H76

S.T. Cevic H76
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. Cevic FD186

S.T. Cevic FD186
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

S.T. Cevic FD186

S.T. Cevic FD186
Picture courtesy of The Maureen Blair Collection

S.T. Cevic FD133

S.T. Cevic FD186
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
14/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
25/03/2017: Removed disputed image and FMHT watermark.
18/03/2018: Image added.
12/11/2019: information updated.
29/02/2020: Image added.
08/10/2020: Added an image.