S.T. Cevic (1) FD133

Additional information : Dictionary of Shipwrecks off the Isle of Man ©Adrian Corkhill 2001


Official Number: 105911
Yard Number: 504
Completed: 1895
Gross Tonnage: 151
Net Tonnage: 59
Length: 106 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: 50RHP T.3-cyl by North Eastern Marine Engineering Co. Ltd. Sunderland.
Built: Edward Bros, North Shields


8.6.1895: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.504) for John E. A. Kelsall, Fleetwood (managing owner) as CEVIC.
11.7.1895: Registered at Fleetwood (FD133).
7.1895: Completed.
1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester (John A. E. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood, managers).
1899: Transferred to Hull.
30.3.1899: Registered at Hull (H76).
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers).
21.5.1913: Sold to George Clarkson, Fleetwood.
23.5.1913: Mortgaged to James Herbert Marr, Fleetwood (A).
23.5.1913: George Clarkson appointed manager.
8.7.1913: Sold to The Devon Steam Trawling Co, Fleetwood (George Clarkson, manager).
7.7.1913: Hull registry closed.
8.7.1913: Registered at Fleetwood (FD186).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 58.53 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
1916: James A. Robertson appointed manager.
3.1917: At Fleetwood. Fitted with Hotchkiss 6pdr gun (No.1857); compliment increased by two gunners.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
9.9.1918: Sold to Ernest Taylor & Noah Ashworth (joint owners), Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
1919: Released.
18.7.1924: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Charles H. Friswell manager.
1925: Richard Neave appointed manager.
25.6.1927: Anchored in Ramsey Bay for shelter in ‘boisterous’ weather, Skipper Dick Collinson and three crew ashore. Weather deteriorated unable to return.
26.6.1927: Punt laying astern started to ship water, 2nd Engineer boarded but punt caste adrift. With no officers onboard crew weighed anchor to recover boat, which unknown to them had drifted ashore. In strong NE wind abandoned search and came to anchor off Ballure, Ramsey South Beach but failed to hold and driven on to the bank at Granch, South of Ramsey pounding heavily. In response to flares Ramsey lifeboat MATTHEW SIMPSON launched and with difficulty took off crew of six .
6/7.1927: Vessel eventually driven ashore under cliffs and wedged in rocks with extensive damage to bottom and starboard side shell plating. Declared a total loss.
8.8.1927: Fleetwood registry closed. Some remains of vessel still visible.

(Crew – Sk. Richard Collinson; J. Bywater, Mate; E. Salthouse, Bosun; J. Hobbs, Ch.Eng; J. Dicks, 2nd Eng; J. Kitchen & J. Harrison, deckhands; T. Whiteside & W. Holden, apprentices; J. Simms, fireman & P. Corrigan, cook)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Cevic FD186

S.T. Cevic FD186
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Cevic H76

S.T. Cevic H76
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. Cevic FD133

S.T. Cevic FD186

S.T. Cevic FD133

S.T. Cevic FD133

14/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
25/03/2017: Removed disputed image and FMHT watermark.
18/03/2018: Image added.