Information courtesy of Andy Hall
Official Number: 27318
Gross Tonnage: 39
1861: Launched by Thomas Smith, Ashton Quays, Preston (Yd.No.?) for John Wright, Fleetwood and others as FARMER.
1861: Completed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD??). John Wright designated managing owner.
1867: Sold to John Stove, Lerwick, Shetland.
1867: Fleetwood registry closed.
1867: Registered at Lerwick (LK102).
5.8.1872: Advertised for sale in the Shetland Times. Offers to John Stove Jnr, Grocer, Lerwick.
6.10.1873: Advertised for sale by auction on 28.11.1873, if not sold previously.
16.2.1874: Advertised for sale again.
By 1876: Owned by John Walker, 1 Polworth Terrace, Edinburgh.
15.11.1876: Whilst anchored off Sandlodge, Sandwick, Shetland parted her cable and drove ashore; crew landed safely.
By 1878: Fishing registration closed.
4.5.1878: Advertised in Shetland Times – “Wanted a crew for the smack “FARMER”, to sail her on shares in the Coasting Trade, viz., carrying ore from Sandlodge Mines to the Southern Markets and General Goods Home“.”.
12.1880: John Walker declared bankrupt.
29.10.1881: Advertised in the Shetland Times for sale by auction unless previously sold along with the smack (cutter) DRYAD 53g/1846 both belonging to the sequestrated estate of Mr John Walker. Considerable repairs undertaken to both vessels two years ago. Both vessels open to view at Lerwick.
21.2.1882: At anchor off Lerwick, cable parted and driven onto Freefield Quay, Lerwick.
By 1883: Owned by John Morgan Aitken, Lerwick.
30.4.1887: Labourer William Garriock injured “While unloading paving stones when vessel lurched with the motion of the sea.“
24.12.1887: Shetland Times: “Owing to the unavoidable absence of the steamer “EARL of ZETLAND”. The following arrangements have been made until her return. The steamer “QUEEN” will make a trip to the North isles in the first week of January and every alternate week, the smack “FARMER” has been put on the passage sailing alternately for the North Isles and Yellsound until the return of the “EARL of ZETLAND”.”.
21.5.1898: Drove ashore and wrecked at Port Stoth beach in an ESE force 4 wind having loaded granite stones and asphalt for Potrnaguran, Isle of Lewis for the erection of the lighthouse at Tiumpan Head. Capt. W. Irvine and three crewmen landed safely (vessel was uninsured). Registration closed.
24/11/2016: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of Gary Hicks and Geoff Davidson
Official Number: 70163
Net Tonnage: 35
1874: Completed by David Banks Jnr & Co, Queen Anne’s Battery, Plymouth as MARTHA AND LIZZIE. Registered at Fleetwood (No.7/1974). Owned by William Thompson, Blackburn.
4.8.1874: Sailed Fleetwood at 1.00pm. for the fishing grounds off Morecambe Bay (Sk. Robert Rimmer); five crew all told.
5.8.1874: On the ‘oyster beds’ some nine miles NNW of Morecambe Bay Lightship in company with other trawlers including CYGNET (FD110), EZRA (FD1) (Sk. Richard Wright) and MARY ASHCROFT (FD??), with the trawl down in a moderate SW breeze under main and jib running across the tide. At about 6.00pm. when hauling the net saw a ship under full sail on the port tack coming towards them. Hauled the jib sheet to get clear of the vessel and sailed away about two miles before letting go the net again. An hour later trawling on the port tack, saw the same ship again bearing down on them now on the starboard tack. When it became obvious that the ship would not pass clear, paid out about five or six fathoms of trawl rope to head the smack. When close shouted to the ship to bear away or luff up, but saw no one onboard. The MARTHA AND LIZZIE was struck amidships and went down under the ship’s bow. Three men, David Cowell, George Cowell and Edward Rimmer, were able to get hold of the chain cable and scramble onboard the ship assisted by a crew member, leaving two men struggling in the water. David Cowell asked Capt Austen to lower a boat, but Murphy, the channel pilot, said he had seen the two men go down. After wearing ship, payed off on the port tack and when in a position close to where the collision had occurred, saw a boat belonging to the CYGNET searching. After wearing ship again transferred the survivors to the boat. They were initially placed onboard the MARY ASHCROFT but later taken to Fleetwood onboard the CYGNET. Robert Rimmer and fisherman David Cowell were drowned. The ship proved to be the American ship IRONSIDES (1400grt/) (Capt. George Blackstone Ashton), Liverpool for New York with general cargo.
27.8.1875: Body of Robert Rimmer recovered by John Wilson, fisherman, some few miles NW of Morecambe Bay Lightship.
25.12.1874: At Liverpool, Capt Ashton was arrested on a charge of manslaughter and taken to Kirkham to await trial.
19.1.1875: At Blackpool Police Court, Capt Ashton was charged on remand with running down a fishing smack and causing the death of two men. The prosecution alleged that the captain did not do his best to save the men. The case was adjourned for one week.
25.1.1875: At Poulton Petty Sessions Capt Ashton was committed for trial at the next Lancaster Assizes.
11.3.1875: At Lancaster Assizes Capt Ashton found not guilty, by direction of the judge, on the grounds that he was an American subject on board an American registered vessel and not subject to the jurisdiction of the Queen and therefore the case could not be supported.
30/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
Additional information courtesy of Milford Trawlers
Official Number: 96212
Yard Number: 332
Gross Tonnage: 183.02
Net Tonnage: 55
Length: 107.4 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
1890: Launched by Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull (Yd.No.332) for The Grimsby Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as ELECTRIC.
2.1890: Completed as a well vessel and liner.
25.2.1890: Registered at Grimsby (GY236). Henry Kelly, Cleethorpes appointed manager.
1911: New boiler fitted.
1912: George Edward James Moody, Cleethorpes appointed manager. Fishing out of Fleetwood. Engaged in trawling.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 78.73 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
29.5.1915: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
7.1915: Sold to Aberdeen owners.
5.1916: Sold to Neville Simpson Clarke, Scarborough & Thomas Crimlisk, Filey.
9.5.1916: Grimsby registry closed.
10.5.1916: Registered at Scarborough (SH232).
5.1916: Thomas Crimlisk designated managing owner.
29.11.1916: Sold to Thomas Crimlisk, Filey; Frank Crimlis, Hull; Frederick William Simpson and Benjamin Simpson Jnr, both Scarborough.
19.4.1917: Fishing out of Hull.
4.1919: Sold to Reginald White, Grimsby.
17.4.1919: Scarborough registry closed.
25.4.1919: Registered at Grimsby (GY286). Reginald White designated managing owner.
1926: Sold to Charles Harold Bird, Hakin.
1928: Sold to Charles A. Munnings, T. D. Davies, R. A. G. Taylor & Archie R. Locke, all Hakin. David Pettit appointed manager.
03.11.1928: Trawling off the Co. Wexford coast (Sk. “Ginger” Knowles); eleven crew all told. In company with steam trawlers UBERTY (R219) (Sk William George Stanford) and CICERO (H931) (Sk. Noel Bray). Towing around the Black Rock inside the Barrels Rocks, gear fouled propeller and vessel became unmanageable, struck a rock and started to fill. Crew taken off by UBERTY (R219). At about 11.00pm foundering in deep water off Carnsore Point.
5.11.1928: Survivors landed at Milford.
15.11.1928: Grimsby registry closed “Total loss”.
03/10/2016: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of Peter Bell and Bill Blow
Official Number: 108463
Yard Number: 142
Gross Tonnage: 161
Net Tonnage: 55
Length: 104.2 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Built: Mackie & Thomson Ltd, Govan
Engine: T.3-cyl by Muir & Houston Ltd, Glasgow
13.3.1897: Launched by Mackie & Thomson Ltd, Govan (Yd.No.142) for Hagerup, Doughty & Co Ltd, Grimsby as WALTHAM.
11.5.1897: Registered at Grimsby (GY303). Frederick Emil Hagerup appointed manager.
4.1906: Sold to Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co (Grimsby) Ltd, Grimsby. John Denton Marsden appointed manager. Fishing out of Fleetwood.
30.5.1910: Arrested for suspected illegal trawling off north coast of Co. Mayo.
12.7.1910: At Ballina, Co. Mayo, Petty Sessions, The Dept of Agriculture in Ireland brought charges against the skipper of illegal trawling. The magistrates did not accept the defence that the trawler was sheltering and imposed a fine of £100 with £28 cost.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 63 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
12.1914: Requisitioned for war services as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.689).
10.12.1914: Arrived Larne as part of Unit 69.
28.1. – 13.2.1915: Detached to Morecambe Bay with minesweeping trawlers CERESIA (Ad.No.194) (FD26) and ROSE II ((Ad.No.592)(GY312).
28.5. – 8.6.1915: At Belfast, refit and repairs. Ty/Sk. Alfred C. Cable RNR appointed CO.
9.8.- 18.8.1916: At Dublin, refit and repairs.
6.2. – 16.2.1917: At Dublin, refit and repairs.
3.1917: At Larne fitting out as decoy vessel.
4.7. – 13.7.1917: At Dublin, repairs. Ty/Sk. James Mair RNR appointed CO. Possibly operating as a ‘Q’ ship.
10.10.1917: Missing off the Isle of Man. May have been mined by mines laid on 4.10.1917 by U.boat (UC75). (Loss is not recorded in ADM137).
16.4.1919: Grimsby registry closed “Vessel lost”.
Lost: Ty/Sk. James Mair RNR; William Webster, 2nd Hand; Robert Strachan, Engineman; Campbell Duncan, Michael Holland, Edmund Richardson, Peter S. Stephen, James Stewart, David Wilson, deckhands; Charles F. Fewster, Robert W. Marsh, John Smith, William Tolan, trimmers.
08/08/2016: Page published.
13/01/2017: Information updated.
If you have any technical or historical information about this vessel, please contact email@example.com
Official Number: 80245
Gross Tonnage: 47
Net Tonnage: 23
Rig: Ketch – trawling
Built: ?? Brixham
1890: Completed by ??, Brixham for ??, ?? as WAVE.
1.1.1892: Owned by Thomas L. Manchester, Westfield, Pwllheli, Carnarvon. Registered at Carnarvon (CO3).
1.1.1900: Owned by Arthur & Robert McEwan Anderson, Liverpool.
1.1.1910: Owned by Arthur Anderson, Wholesale Fish Market, Liverpool (managing owner).
1.1.115: Owned by Magnus B. J. Wedum, 114 Dock Street, Fleetwood (managing owner).
10.3.1918: Fishing 10 miles SW by W from St Bees Head, stopped by U-boat (UC75) and sunk by bombs. Crew took to boat. Carnarvon registry closed.
25/02/2015: Page published.
26/02/2015: Added PLN.