Additional information courtesy of Milford Trawlers
Official Number: 96212
Yard Number: 332
Gross Tonnage: 183.02
Net Tonnage: 55
Length: 107.4 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
1890: Launched by Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull (Yd.No.332) for The Grimsby Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as ELECTRIC.
2.1890: Completed as a well vessel and liner.
25.2.1890: Registered at Grimsby (GY236). Henry Kelly, Cleethorpes appointed manager.
1911: New boiler fitted.
1912: George Edward James Moody, Cleethorpes appointed manager. Fishing out of Fleetwood. Engaged in trawling.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 78.73 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
29.5.1915: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
7.1915: Sold to Aberdeen owners.
5.1916: Sold to Neville Simpson Clarke, Scarborough & Thomas Crimlisk, Filey.
9.5.1916: Grimsby registry closed.
10.5.1916: Registered at Scarborough (SH232).
5.1916: Thomas Crimlisk designated managing owner.
29.11.1916: Sold to Thomas Crimlisk, Filey; Frank Crimlis, Hull; Frederick William Simpson and Benjamin Simpson Jnr, both Scarborough.
19.4.1917: Fishing out of Hull.
4.1919: Sold to Reginald White, Grimsby.
17.4.1919: Scarborough registry closed.
25.4.1919: Registered at Grimsby (GY286). Reginald White designated managing owner.
1926: Sold to Charles Harold Bird, Hakin.
1928: Sold to Charles A. Munnings, T. D. Davies, R. A. G. Taylor & Archie R. Locke, all Hakin. David Pettit appointed manager.
03.11.1928: Trawling off the Co. Wexford coast (Sk. “Ginger” Knowles); eleven crew all told. In company with steam trawlers UBERTY (R219) (Sk William George Stanford) and CICERO (H931) (Sk. Noel Bray). Towing around the Black Rock inside the Barrels Rocks, gear fouled propeller and vessel became unmanageable, struck a rock and started to fill. Crew taken off by UBERTY (R219). At about 11.00pm foundering in deep water off Carnsore Point.
5.11.1928: Survivors landed at Milford.
15.11.1928: Grimsby registry closed “Total loss”.
03/10/2016: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall
Official Number: 137154
Yard Number: 405
Gross Tonnage: 215.74
Net Tonnage: 83.07
Length: 115.0 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Built: The John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood Ltd, Coatbridge, Glasgow
1914: Launched by The John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.405) for The National Steam Fishing Co (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen as LEUKOS.
27.8.1914: Registered at Aberdeen (A102). James Scott Jnr appointed manager.
12.12.1914: Arrived Aberdeen (Sk. George Robertson) with body of a naval officer picked up at sea to the NE of Aberdeen. Body believed to be an officer belonging to HMS HAWKE (Capt. Hugh P. E. T. Williams RN) torpedoed off Peterhead by U-boat (U.9) on
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (Ad.No.N.I.). Based Scapa, Orkney.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Aberdeen.
27.1.1920: Sold to Arthur Reginald Tucker & James Cornelius Tippet, Cardiff. James Cornelius Tippet appointed manager.
2.4.1920: Sold to Tucker, Tippet & Co Ltd, Cardiff. James Cornelius Tippet appointed manager.
1922: Fishing from Milford. Harry E. East managing agent.
27.2.1927: Sailed Milford for the fishing grounds (Sk. Edward Major). Owing to weather outside came to anchor off Popton Point.
28.2.1927: At about 10.00am. observed trawler THOMAS BARTLETT (LO373) coming in from sea and anchored close by, the wind was south west to west blowing a strong gale. The bosun, Charles Richard Johnson was on anchor watch, and reported to the skipper that the THOMAS BARTLETT was dragging and when some 20 to 30 yards away it appeared she would drive across the bows. The whistle was sounded and the THOMAS BARTLETT eased her cable and started to come astern but did not clear, hitting the stem with the port side, the head coming round to starboard and the THOMAS BARTLETT dropped down along side on the starboard side. No damage to the stem was apparent.
28.2.1927: Sailed for the fishing grounds but found water ingress in way of the stem, temporary repair carried out by Ch Eng. and continued on voyage.
1.6.1927: Last landing at Milford.
18.6.1927: Sold to Dublin Trawling, Ice and Cold Storage Co Ltd, Dublin.
24.6.1927: Aberdeen registry closed.
6.1927: Registered at Dublin (D86). Patrick Fannon appointed manager. Occasional landings at Fleetwood.
Mid 2.1940: Last landing at Fleetwood.
29.2.1940: Sailed Dublin for the fishing grounds via Troon to coal (Sk. James Potter Thomasson); eleven hands all told. The ship had the Irish tricolour painted on her hull clearly indicating a vessel from a neutral country; fitted with wireless.
1.3.1940: Sailed Troon for the ‘the bank’ off Tory Island.
9.3.1940: In forenoon spoke to two other trawlers of the same company in Donegal Bay, confirmed a good catch and ETA Dublin 12.3.1940.
9.3.1940: A group of Fleetwood trawlers fishing 12 miles NW of Tory Island, Co. Donegal, ALVIS (H52); FLYING ADMIRAL (H66); JOHN MORRICE (A786); PELAGOS (GN55) and SEDOCK (GY123) and reported with the Irish trawler LEUKOS (D86) also in the vicinity. At 2003 (Wilhelshaven time) a U-boat (U.38) surfaced having observed through periscope and listening device the group of trawlers. On the surface noticed that all had their lights on and were apparently forming a guarding line on a N-S course. In his log the CO. Kptlt. Heinrich Liebe wrote “I decided to administer a warning to one of them with the gun.” At 2113, and within about 200 metres of the target, fired a single round at a ship, hitting her in the engine room; the U-boat withdrew staying on the surface about one hour until ship foundered. No attempt was made by the U-boat to identify the vessel or search for survivors. None of the five trawlers in the vicinity closed to investigate, if in fact they were aware of the incident. Although no conclusive evidence confirms, the ship probably was the LEUKOS; all eleven crew lost*.
16.3.1940: Owners expressed fears for the safety of the vessel.
21.3.1940: Lifeboat containing a lifebuoy bearing the name ‘S.T. LEUKOS’ washed up at Scarinish, Tiree, Inner Hebrides.
26.3.1940: Posted missing.
1940: Dublin registry closed.
(Lost* – Sk. James P. Thomasson (29) married, Milton Street, Fleetwood & 63 Lower Mount Street, Dublin; James Donnelly (42) married, North Albert Street, Fleetwood, Mate; P. J. O’Scanlon, 5 Douglas Road, Cleethorpes, Bosun; Alec McLeod (50) single, Wyre Street, Fleetwood and 53 Kenneth Street, Stornoway, Ch Eng; Bernard Smith (23), 10 Boyne Street, Dublin, 2nd Eng; Thomas Mulligan single, The Mission, Fleetwood & Catholic Seamens Institute, Dublin & Anthony Pill (18) single, The Mission, Fleetwood & Catholic Seamens Institute, Dublin, deckhands; Michael Cullen (17) single, 29 Boyne Street, Dublin, fireman; Patricio McCarthy (42) single, 40 Carlton Street, Marino, Dublin, cook; James Hawkins (17) single, 69 Park Road, Ringsend, Dublin & Fleetwood and Robert Sumler (16) single, 63 Lower Mount Street, Dublin & Milton Street, Fleetwood (brother-in-law of the skipper), apprentices )
Click to enlarge image
08/02/2016: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of Nick Miller
Official Number: 97466
Yard Number: 16
Gross Tonnage: 85
Net Tonnage: 16
Length: 85.5 ft
Breadth: 17.1 ft
Depth: 9.2 ft
Built: McGill & Gillmour, Irvine
Engine: 150ihp C.2-cyl and boiler by Muir & Houston Ltd, Kinning Park, Glasgow
1892: Completed by McGill & Gillmour, Irvine (Yd.No.16) for Lancashire Sea Fisheries Committee, Lancaster (Frederick C. Hulton, Preston, Clerk of the Peace, Lancashire County Council) as JOHN FELL (named after Committee Chairman).
1893: Registered at Preston (PN6). Robert A. Dawson, Lytham, Superintendent of the Lancashire Sea Fisheries Committee, appointed manager. Trawl mesh trials fishing Jordan Flats and Queen’s Bar, Rock and Horse Channels and Crosby Channel landing at Liverpool. Landing at Fleetwood from other trial and research trips.
5.5.1893: At a meeting in Preston, Cumberland Sea Fisheries Committee agreed to share the costs of the JOHN FELL.
13.1.1898: The Committee considered and resolved to discontinue the use of the JOHN FELL.
1900: Sold to Italian flag operators. Preston registry closed “Sold to foreigners (Italian subjects)”.
29/06/2015: Page published.
In Boston (Fleetwood) ownership, did not fish from the port
Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson
Official Number: 163151
Yard Number: 1113
Gross Tonnage: 421
Net Tonnage: 168
Length: 152.1 ft
Breadth: 25.6 ft
Depth: 13.6 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
8.7.1933: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1113) for Hudson Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as CAPE WARWICK.
9.8.1933: Registered at Hull (H503).
14.8.1933: Completed. Archibald Hudson, Hessle appointed manager.
9.1935: As a result of the Abyssinian crisis and failure of British diplomacy, the Government authorised The Admiralty to procure twenty modern trawlers for conversion to minor war vessels.
11.1935: Following successful trials sold to The Admiralty.
26.11.1935: Hull registry closed. Fitted out as a “Gem” class anti submarine trawler (1-4”, ASDIC, DC).
1936: Renamed HMS CORNELIAN (P.No.T.15).
1940: Based Birkenhead with 2nd A/S Group.
1944: Assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
23.5.1944: Convoy escort duties in British waters.
4.6.1944: Sailed Falmouth escorting convoy ECL1.
6.6.1944: Arrived Western Task Force area.
6.1944: Escort across the Channel in support of landings.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
20.5.1946: Sold to Consolidated Fisheries Ltd, Grimsby for the sum of £15,000. Converted to steam trawler at a cost of £20,966. (Total £35,966). Sir John Denton Marsden, Bart appointed manager.
1.1947: Refitted and reclassed as a steam trawler. 407g 198n.
10.3.1947: Registered at Grimsby as LINCOLN CITY (GY464).
11.3.1947: Sailed on first trip.
24.5.1963: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood. Basil Arthur Parkes, North Ferriby appointed manager.
9.1963: Sold to Brugse Scheepssloperij, Bruges, Belgium and broken up.
20.9.1963: Grimsby registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
25/11/2013: Page published. 7 updates since then.
02/05/2015: Picture added.
30/03/2016: Picture added.
In Parkes (Fleetwood) ownership. Did not fish from the port.
Yard Number: 740
Gross Tonnage: 429
Net Tonnage: 157
Length: 150 ft
Breadth: 25 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
6.3.1920: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.740) for Louis Dero, Le Havre as URANUS.
7.9.1920: Completed. Registered at Le Havre (H1293).
6.1921: Sold to Sociètè Havraise de Pèche, Le Havre.
1925: Transferred to Fécamp.
1929: Sold to Basil Parkes, Fleetwood.
1.1930: Sold to Victor Fournay, Boulogne. Le Havre registry closed. Registered at Boulogne as MARC ACHILLE (B1400).
04.02.1939: Off the south west Norway coast, at about 1.00am stranded 2 miles SW of Utsire, pumps unable to cope with ingress of water. Norwegian fishing vessel NIBDDJUPEVAG responded to distress and all crew taken off. At about 5.30am vessel rolled over and foundered. Boulogne registry closed.