Technical

Official Number: 122940
Yard Number: 262
Completed: 1906
Gross Tonnage: 225
Net Tonnage: 72
Length: 125.8
Breadth: 21.9 ft
Depth: 8.9 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Boiler: A. & W. Dalglish, Pollockshaws, Glasgow
Built: J. Duthie, Sons & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

28.2.1906: Launched by J. Duthie, Sons & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.262) for Tettenhall Steam Fishing Co of Fleetwood Ltd, Fleetwood as BOSCOBEL.
5.1906: Completed.
16.5.1906: Mortgaged to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
18.5.1906: Registered at Fleetwood (FD70), Louis Cohen, Norbreck appointed manager).
11.8.1909: Mortgaged to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (B). James H. Marr appointed manager.
9.10.1913: Mortgage (A) discharged.
10.10.1913: Mortgage (B) discharged.
10.10.1913: Mortgaged to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (C).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 92.13net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
2.12.1916: James A. Robertson appointed manager.
12.5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.1761).
18.10.1918: Sold to The Active Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, manager). Based Alexandria.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
12.10.1924: James A. Robertson died.
10.1924: Alan Marr appointed manager.
6.2.1925: Joseph Arthur Marr appointed manager.
4.1928: Sold to Thomas Walker & John Falconer. Aberdeen.
13.4.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.
24.4.1928: Registered at Aberdeen (A342).
1934: Sold to John W. Johnstone, Aberdeen.
23.8.1934: Aberdeen registry closed, “fitted out as a Cargo Vessel”.
8.1934: Converted to cargo vessel. Re-measured 11.6 ft depth of hold 232g 101n.
29.5.1937: Foundered near Lightship Wandelaar off Belgian coast on voyage Antwerp to London with a cargo of fencing wire. Wreck in position 51.21.50N 02.50.75E.

Changelog
16/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 99561
Yard Number: 83
Completed: 1892
Gross Tonnage: 149
Net Tonnage: 62
Length: 102.4 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Engine: 45nhp T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed 10 knots
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull

History

16.2.1892: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.83) for Pickering & Haldane’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as ACTIVE.
8.3.1892: Registered at Hull (H191).
3.1892: Completed.
9.1.1893: New certificate issued.
26.2.1906: Re-registered at Hull (H191).
18.1.1909: Sold to Thomas R. Porter & Benjamin J. Ridge, Newlyn.
1912: Sold to James Herbert Marr, Fleetwood.
10.5.1912: Sold to The Active Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, managers).
18.11.1912: Hull registry closed.
19.11.1912: Registered at Fleetwood (FD157).
5.10.1916: Sold to Horace E. Stroud, Aberdeen.
22.3.1917: Fleetwood registry closed.
26.3.1917: Registered at Aberdeen (A776).
26.4.1917: Stopped by U-boat (UC50) 65 miles E by S of Longstone Light and scuttled.
21.5.1917: Aberdeen registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Active H191

S.T. Active H191
Picture courtesy of Grimsby Reference Library

Changelog
14/05/2012: Page published. 5 revisions since then.
11/09/2014: Picture added.

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional material courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 139216
Yard Number: 277
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 270
Net Tonnage: 105
Length: 128.8 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Engine: 540ihp T.3-cyl by W. Beardmore & Co Ltd, Glasgow
Boiler: Dunsmuir & Jackson Ltd, Govan
Built: Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Dundee

History

23.11.1916: Launched by Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Dundee (Yd.No.277) for The Active Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood as DORINDA.
9.2.1917: Registered at Fleetwood (FD198) (James A. Robertson, manager).
2.1917: Completed. Requisitioned from the builders for war service and fitted out for escort duties (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.3003).
18.10.1917: Re-registered at Fleetwood (FD198). Based Milford Haven.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
14.10.1932: Responded to request for assistance from JACINTA (FD235) which had struck submerged rock 8 miles off Rathlin Island, losing all blades on her propeller. Connected and commenced tow to Fleetwood.
15.10.1932: Delivered Fleetwood.
30.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No. FY.623) (P.No.FY.600) (Hire rate £78.15.0d/month).
1944: Sold to Malcolm Smith Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen (Malcolm Smith, manager).
10.1945: Restored and surveyed at Dumbarton.
8.10.1945: Registered at Aberdeen (A602).
11.1945: Returned to owner.
17.4.1946: Registered at Aberdeen as LOCH LOMOND (A602) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1102/1945 dated 8.4.1946).
29.7.1946: Sold to Anglo Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
1.8.1946: Joseph Reginald Cobley appointed manager.
29.7.1946: Aberdeen registry closed.
1.8.1946: Registered at Grimsby (GY310).
15.8.1946: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (A).
4.10.1946: Registered at Grimsby as ANGLO (GY310) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1439/1946 dated 10.9.1946).
20.10.1949: Leslie Little appointed manager.
30.3.1950: Registered at Grimsby as DEERNESS (GY310) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1029/50 dated 24.3.1950).
6.8.1952: Charles Dobson appointed manager.
24.7.1955: Sold by mortgagee under mortgage (A) to Elkington Estates Ltd, Grimsby.
9.1955: Sold to Belgium for breaking up.
15.9.1955: Grimsby registry closed “… vessel sold to foreigners (Belgian subjects) for breaking up.”

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Dorinda FD198

S.T. Dorinda FD198
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
22/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 162063
Yard Number: 1087
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 355
Net Tonnage: 139
Length: 140.4 ft
Breadth: 25 ft
Depth: 13.4 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull

History

28.7.1930: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1087) for Active Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood as CORDELA.
9.9.1930: Registered at Fleetwood (FD120).
9.1930: Completed (Joseph Arthur Marr, manager).
1934: Transferred to Hull, crewed and operated by The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull on the company acquisition (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Fleetwood, manager).
10.8.1939: Sailed Hull for Bear Island (Sk. E. Fawcett).
29/30.8.1949: At Hull landed 1,559 kits grossed £962.
7.9.1939: Sold to The Admiralty (£11,500) and fitted out as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (P.No.FY.713). Based Harwich with M/S Group 116.
27.2.1940: Fleetwood registry closed.
25.3.1946: Sold to Hellyer Bros Ltd, Hull (Peter A. Hellyer, manager).
18.4.1946: Registered at Hull as HAUSA (H262) (BoT Minute R.G.1149/1946), after restoration and survey at the port.
15.3.1948: Sold to Northern Fishing Co (Hull) Ltd, Hull (Peter A. Hellyer, manager).
14.10.1954: Sailed Hull for Iceland on last trip (Sk. W. S. Smith).
3.11.1954: At Hull landed 967 kits grossed £3,652. Laid up.
11.1954: Sold to Van Heyghen Freres, Ghent for breaking up.
20.11.1954: Arrived Ghent from Hull. Hull registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Cordela FD120

S.T. Cordela FD120
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

S.T. Hausa H262

S.T. Hausa H262
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 136011
Yard Number: 301
Completed 1914
Gross Tonnage: 226
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 117 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: 460ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

28.3.1914: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.301) for Alick Black (64/64), Grimsby as DONALDA.
6.1914: Completed.
15.6.1914: Registered at Grimsby (GY149).
15.6.1914: Alick Black designated managing owner.
18.6.1914: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Union of London & Smiths Bank Ltd, London (A)
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr (6pdr?)) (Ad.No.5648). Based Devonport.
3.1.1916: Mortgage (A) discharged.
6.1.1916: Sold to Alfred William Baxter (64/64), Grimsby.
7.1.1916: Alick Black appointed manager).
12.1.1916: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank of England Ltd, London (B).
14.1.1916: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Alick Black, Grimsby for the sum of £2000 with interest at 5% (C).
5.4.1917: Mortgage (C) discharged.
5.1.1918: Mortgage (B) discharged.
23.1.1918: Sold to William Hill (64/64), Grimsby.
28.1.1918: William Hill designated managing owner.
12.4.1918: Sold to Victorian Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
15.4.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London Joint Stock Bank Ltd, London (D).
20.4.1918: William Hill appointed manager.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
27.10.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to William Hill, Grimsby for the sum of £666.13.4d with interest at 121/2% (E).
27.10.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Arthur Scales Johnson, Sturton-by-Scawby, Brigg, Richard Shute and William Byron Turner, Cleethorpes (jointly) for the sum of £1000 with interest at 121/2% (F).
27.10.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to William Hill, Grimsby for the sum of £333.6.8d with interest at 121/2% (G).
23.8.1921: Mortgages (E), (F) and (G) discharged.
23.8.1921: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to William Hill, Grimsby for the sum of £500 with interest at 121/2% (H).
23.8.1921: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to William Hill, Grimsby, Arthur Scales Johnson, Sturton-by-Scawby, Brigg, Richard Shute and William Byron Turner, Cleethorpes (jointly) for the sum of £1000 with interest at 121/2% (I).
1.12.1921: Mortgages (H) and (I) discharged.
18.12.1929: Mortgage (D) discharged.
19.12.1929: Sold to Lindsey Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
20.12.1929: Edwin Bacon Snr appointed manager.
15.4.1931: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Edwin Bacon Snr, Grimsby (J).
21.4.1940: Mortgage (J) discharged.
24.12.1941: Sold to The Active Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
7.1.1942: Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Cleveleys appointed manager.
8.7.1942: Sold to Hudson Brothers Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Hull.
11.7.1942: Archibald Hudson, Hessle appointed manager.
22.12.1942: Grimsby registry closed.
23.12.1942: Registered at Hull (H12).
7.1945: Sold to Grimsby Motor Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
26.7.1945: Harvey Wilfred Wilson appointed manager.
22.11.1945: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (K).
7.1945: Hull registry closed.
26.7.1945: Registered at Grimsby (GY78).
30.12.1947: Mortgage (K) discharged.
30.7.1949: Sold to Trawlers Grimsby Ltd (64/64), Grimsby. Harvey Wilfred Wilson appointed manager.
10.4.1953: Sold to Derwent Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
11.4.1953: Harvey Wilfred Wilson appointed manager.
9.2.1953: John Carl Ross appointed manager.
1957: Sold to BISCO and allocated to C. W. Dorkin & Co Ltd, Gateshead for breaking up.
31.1.1957: Delivered Gateshead from Grimsby under own power.
17.3.1957: Grimsby registry closed “Vessel broken up”.

Annex A
13.5.1915: Commissioned at Grimsby.
15.5.1915: Arrived Devonport. Fitted with Hotchkiss 3pdr gun (No.5648) and fitted out for minesweeping duties (Ad.No.1760).
By 10.1916: Based Devonport – Unit No.121 ‘Trawler Sweepers’ (Sk.H. Bailey RNR).
1919: Port for landing Stores, Armament and Moveable Fittings – Devonport. Port for Demobilising Personnel – Grimsby.
1919: Returned to owner.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Donalda GY149

S.T. Donalda GY149
Picture courtesy of Alan Hirst

S.T. Donalda GY78

S.T. Donalda GY78
Picture courtesy of Greenday (TPF)

Changelog
21/01/2009: Page published. 6 updates since then.
18/11/2015: Added picture.

Read / Leave a Comment