Tag Archives: Active FC

S.T. Lord Minto FD51

Technical

Official Number: 136192
Yard Number: 599
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 295
Net Tonnage: 123
Length: 136.7 ft
Breadth: 23.2 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Engine : 93HP T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

1.3.1914: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.599) for Yorkshire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as LORD MINTO.
28.5.1914: Registered at Hull (H105).
6.6.1914: Completed (John McCann & Edward Cartwright, managers).
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.1516). Based Dover.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
17.10.1921: Sold to Pickering & Haldane’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (John McCann & Edward Cartwright, joint managers).
14.3.1924: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, manager).
12.10.1924: James A. Robertson died.
10.1924: Alan Marr appointed manager.
12.1.1925: Sold to The Active Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Alan Marr, manager).
6.6.1925: Hull registry closed.
12.6.1925: Registered at Fleetwood (FD51).
1.12.1925: Alan Marr died.
12.1925: Joseph Arthur Marr appointed manager.
26.10.1936: In gale force winds and heavy weather off St. Kilda, Bosun William Wilson Crewdson was washed overboard and drowned.
9.1939: On a trip to St. Kilda grounds (Sk. Charles Pennington); eleven crew.
18.9.1939: Trawling 30 miles NW of St. Kilda. 1900 stopped in position 58.09N 09.17W by U-boat (U.35); tried to escape and made radio message. Examined i.a.w. Prisenordnung (Prize Regulations) Art.54. Seized along with ARLITA (FD188) and NANCY HAGUE (FD133). As boats not considered safe for crew, transferred along with crew of ARLITA to NANCY HAGUE which allowed to return to Fleetwood. Both vessels sunk by gunfire in position 57.51N 09.28W. At 2047 H M destroyers SOMALI (P.No.F33) and MATEBELE (P.No.F26) detached to assist.
27.9.1939: Fleetwood registry closed “Vessel sunk by German submarine”.

(Crew (all Fleetwood unless stated) – Sk. Charles Pennington; Arthur Dutton, Mate; J. R. Rogers, Bosun; T. Hudson Ch.Eng; R. Neill, 2nd Eng; G. Halliday; Bertram Lee; W. Sharples; J. Beadle, Liverpool, deckhands; W. Kneale, Knott End, fireman; Robert Pooley, cook; Herbert Coplin, wireless operator.)

Note: U-boat (U35) was sunk 29.11.1939 in North Sea, in position 60.53N, 02.47E, by depth charges from HMShips KASHMIR (P.No.F12), KINGSTON (P.No.F64) and ICARUS (P.No.D03). All submariners survived.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Lord Minto FD51

S.T. Lord Minto FD51
Picture from Internet

S.T. Lord Minto FD51

S.T. Lord Minto FD51
Picture courtesy of the Greenday Collection (Trawlerphotos)

Changelog
19/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
04/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Clotilde FD232

Additional material courtesy of Bill Blow Stephen Roberts and Birgir Þórisson

Technical

Official Number: 132418
Yard Number: 579
Completed: 1913
Gross Tonnage: 289
Net Tonnage: 114
Length: 130 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Engine: 530ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

4.9.1913: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.579) for J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood as CLOTILDE.
26.11.1913: Registered at Fleetwood (FD232). James Alexander Robertson designated manager.
2.12.1913: Completed. Contract price £7950.
14.11.1914: Requisitioned for war service (Ad.No.924) . Commissioned at Fleetwood (Sk. Harry Roberts RNR). At Devonport fitted with 1-6pdr.
5.12.1914: Sailed Plymouth for Clyde. Allocated Unit No. 44 based Ardrossan (Sk. Harry Roberts RNR).
6.1916: Fitted out with mine-sweep.
1917: Icelandic trawler-owners sold 10 trawlers to the French navy. Export licence was contingent upon replacing the ships as soon as possible after the war.
16.4.1918: Sk. Harry Roberts awarded DSC ‘in recognition of minesweeping operations between 1.4 – 31.12.1917’.
1919: Icelandic trawler-owners ordered 11 new trawlers from Britain and 5 from Germany.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
15.8.1919: Sold to The Active Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, manager).
1920: Delivery of new Icelandic trawlers delayed, in case of England by strikes. Fearing to lose the main salting season (March-June), several owners resorted to leasing trawlers from Fleetwood.
3.1920: Hired by Icelandic owners for the salting season and based Reykjavik.
12.10.1924: James A. Robertson OBE died.
10.1924: Alan Marr designated manager.
1.12.1925: Alan Marr died.
6.2.1925: Joseph Arthur Marr designated manager.
1.4.1929: Joseph Arthur Marr retired from board to run the Dinas Company.
4.1929: Geoffrey Edwards Marr designated manager.
29.2.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.534) (Hire rate £74.13.2d/month).
25.11.1944: Sold to Wembley Steam Fishing Co (Grimsby) Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
12.12.1944: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (A).
12.1945: Returned to owner.
22.10.1946: Fleetwood registry closed.
29.10.1946: Registered at Grimsby (GY352). Arthur Gladstone Harmer designated manager.
31.1.1947: Alteration of tonnage to 112.89 net. Certificate of Survey dated Liverpool 23.11.1946.
8.11.1947: Mortgage (A) discharged.
10.11.1947: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
13.11.1947: Frank Marr appointed manager.
24.3.1952: Sold to Queen Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
1.4.1952: Charles Alford Osborne designated manager.
12.1956: Sold to Leon Engelen, Willebroek for breaking up.
3.12.1956: Breaking up commenced.
7.12.1956: Grimsby registry closed “…on sale of vessel to foreigners (Belgian Subjects)”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Clotilde FD232

S.T. Clotilde FD232

HMT Clotilde

HMT Clotilde
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T. Clotide GY352

S.T. Clotide GY352
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

Changelog
16/01/2009: Page published. 9 updates since then.
31/05/2019: Updated the information.

S.T. Wyoming GY483

Technical

Official Number: 137027
Yard Number: 628
Completed: 1915
Gross Tonnage: 302
Net Tonnage: 157
Length: 135 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C.D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

1915: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.628) for The Atlas Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Letten Bros, managers) as VERESIS.
14.4.1915: Registered at Grimsby (GY483).
4.1915: Completed (George S. Letten, manager). Requisitioned from the builders for war service (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.1616).
11.1915: Registered at Grimsby (GY483).
1920: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
8.6.1931: Stood by steam trawler GAMBRI (GY99) 100 miles NW of Hoy Head with bunkers on fire and proceeding to Stromness.
16.1.1932: Left Icelandic grounds for Grimsby.
16.1.1932: In hurricane swept clean by seas and lost wheelhouse and two compasses.
19.1.1932: Made radio contact and monitored by MERISIA (FD153) requested any vessel to give bearing and supply a compass,. Dodging for 36 hours, believed in vicinity of Faroe Islands and then steering by wind.
20.1.1932: Contact made with LUNE (FD59) which supplied bearing and confirmed crew safe and no assistance required.
20.1.1932: Arrived Scrabster at 1.20 pm. Took compass and food and sailed 4.10pm. for Grimsby.
22.1.1932: Arrived Grimsby.
22.11.1933: Reported stranded at Hoholmen, south Sandnessjoeen, Norway. Salvage steamer PARAT (135g/1905) in attendance.
25.11.1933: Refloated with assistance of PARAT. Checked, tight and proceeded.
9.1936: Sold to Earl Steam Fishing Co, Grimsby (Sir Alec Black Bart, manager).
20.4.1937: Registered at Grimsby as WYOMING (GY483).
Pre 4.1940: Employed on Fishery Protection.
2.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service and employed on auxiliary patrol duties (Hire rate £83.1.0d/month). Based North Shields (Ty/Sk. P. Coull RNR).
12.1940: Sold to Sir Alec Black Bart, Grimsby.
6.1941: Fitted out for minesweeping duties (P.No.FY.1862).
22.4.1942: Sold to Active Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager) for £8100.
20.5.1944: Mined near 54 Buoy, 20 miles ENE of Harwich. Five crew MPK.

(MPK – Alexander Mitchell, 2nd Hand; Bernard McQue Humble, Engineman; John Jordan, stoker; George Sutherland, Ldg Cook; Joseph S. Tester, seaman)

Changelog

08/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. Ugiebank PD85

Additional information courtesy of John McLaughlin

Technical

Official Number: 130204
Yard Number: 524
Completed: 1913
Gross Tonnage: 205
Net Tonnage: 79
Length: 117.3 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

20.1.1913: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.524) for The Peterhead Trawling Co Ltd, Aberdeen as UGIEBANK.
1.1913: Completed. James G. Adam, Aberdeen designated manager.
1.2.1913: Registered at Peterhead (PD85).
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler.
1919: Returned to owner.
1927: Sold to James. G. Adam, Aberdeen. James. G. Adam designated managing owner.
1928: Sold to Richard Irvin & Sons Ltd, North Shields. Sir John Irvin KCB, Aberdeen designated manager.
10.3.1932: Mate William Octavius Ross died in the local infirmary at North Shields having been struck on the head several days previously whilst on a North Sea trip.
25.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service and designated for minesweeping but employed on auxiliary patrol duties (P.No.4.430)(Hire rate £52.19.2d/month).
8.2.1940: Returned to owner.
14.3.1941: Sold to Active Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Cleveleys designated manager.
1941: Sold to J. Bennett (Wholesale) Ltd, London. William A. Bennett designated manager. Fishing out of Fleetwood. Defensively armed (1-Lewis, 1-machine, 1-Ross rifle).
2.3.1943: Entered Lough Swilly for examination and reported loss of deckhand William Green (19), 6 Devon Avenue, Fleetwood who fell overboard 9 miles NW of Tory Island. Sailed on completion.
28.4.1943: Typical wartime landing, Home Waters – 164 kits – hake15, cod/codling-13, haddock-4, whiting-39, flats-2, ling/coley-79, roker-3, gurnard-8, dogs-1.
30.3.1944: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out as a smoke making (Esso) trawler and assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
6.1944: Held in readyness at Aberdeen.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
28.10.1944: Returned.
11.1945: Sold to A. G. Hamer, Grimsby.
11.1946: Peterhead registry closed.
11.1946: Registered at Grimsby (GY393). A. G. Hamer designated managing owner.
12.1948: Sold to Associated Trawlers (Gt. Yarmouth) Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth. Fishing from Gt. Yarmouth.
8.1951: Sold to John Cameron, Peterhead for breaking up.
8.1951: Grimsby registry closed.
1952: Breaking completed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Ugiebank GY393

S.T. Ugiebank GY393
Pictured at Gt. Yarmouth

S.T. Ugiebank GY393

S.T. Ugiebank GY393
Pictured at Gt. Yarmouth

Changelog
08/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
22/02/2018: Information updated. Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Tasmania FD171

Technical

Official Number: 98716
Yard Number: 59
Completed: 1891
Gross Tonnage: 146.12
Net Tonnage: 50
Length: 100.5 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Engine: 45nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull

History

1891: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.59) for The Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Hull as TASMANIA.
17.1.1891: Registered at Hull (H122).
1.1891: Completed (Henry Toozes, manager).
21.11.1893: In the North Sea connected to the Swedish barque JOUEHELD disabled with main and mizzen masts carried away and crew member Carl Michelsen washed overboard and drowned. Delivered Hartlepool after a tow of twenty-one hours.
11.1912: Sold to James Herbert Marr, Fleetwood & The Active Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, manager).
18.11.1912: Hull registry closed.
19.11.1912: Registered at Fleetwood (FD171).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 60.12 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.10.1916: Sold to Horace Edward Stroud & Sydney Morris Cannon, Aberdeen.
31.10.1916: Fleetwood registry closed.
3.11.1916: Registered at Aberdeen (A737). Horace E. Stroud designated managing owner.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
30.3.1918: Sold to James Johnson, Scarborough (trading as Scorpion Steam Trawling Co). James Johnson designated managing owner.
1918: Tasmania Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Scarborough registered as a private company with a capital of £9,000 in £1 shares to take over the “Scorpion Steam Trawling Co” including the steam trawler TASMANIA. Directors are J. Johnson, D. Chew, R. W. Crawford, R. M. Parker ad G. H. Cambridge, all Scarborough.
1919: Released.
4.4.1919: Sold to Charles William Robinson, Redcar. Charles William Robinson designated managing owner.
1923: Sold for breaking up.
12.10.1923: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel being broken up.”

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Tasmania H122

S.T. Tasmania H122
Picture courtesy of James Cullen

Changelog
08/01/2009: Page published.
14/07/2014: Picture added.
20/01/2016: Information added.